• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Say it isn’t so...

JerseyJanice

A Disboards original...
I am leaving on Wednesday for 8 nights in WDW. Got up this morning and I looked at the news and saw a report by CNN that a tropical depression is lining up to hit Florida with massive rain the next few days.

Really? I can’t believe my luck. I was there for Matthew in October 2016 and just missed Irma in September 2017. Thought I would try going in May for better weather and now this.

Sigh! Next time there is a drought in Florida, someone needs to send me there for relief.

I would shop for some high quality rain gear and suit up to go! It might be the only way to find lower crowds these days.

A few years ago we had a tropical storm hit during our stay in Sanibel. It did come with some side benefits, like more tolerable temps and better shelling. There's usually a silver lining.

We head out next Tuesday for a week... I sure hope some of this massive rain is done with. :( We've been spoiled with great weather for the past 3 years, so I shouldn't complain. We've got ponchos and water shoes and we're not made of sugar, ha! :)

Yes, it is true. There have been several threads over the weekend about the approaching rain. My son is there now and we thought yesterday would be a lost cause, but it was fine. Today, however, appears to be a different story. This is his last park day. He's got most of the day tomorrow to find something to do (in the rain) before his evening flight. There was talk of a trip to the beach but that's out. Try to make the best of it. I went once in April during El Nino and had 6 straight days of rain and cool temps. Of course, we did everything and didn't let it stop us, but not one of my more enjoyable vacations to Disney.

There are a ton of threads on this on the first two-ish pages here. Lots of good advice in those threads.

I am leaving on Wednesday for 8 nights in WDW. Got up this morning and I looked at the news and saw a report by CNN that a tropical depression is lining up to hit Florida with massive rain the next few days.

Really? I can’t believe my luck. I was there for Matthew in October 2016 and just missed Irma in September 2017. Thought I would try going in May for better weather and now this.

Sigh! Next time there is a drought in Florida, someone needs to send me there for relief.

Well actually we are in a severe drought and lots of fires. So thank you for coming lol.

Really if you want to avoid rain in Florida you'll need to travel Nov-Feb.

Yeah, it stinks but it is now the rainy season, soon to be hurricane season. I know this rain is going to me more than the afternoon pop up showers, but still, FL is known for temperamental weather. Lots of rain, thunderstorms, tropical depressions, hurricanes.

I would shop for some high quality rain gear and suit up to go! It might be the only way to find lower crowds these days.

A few years ago we had a tropical storm hit during our stay in Sanibel. It did come with some side benefits, like more tolerable temps and better shelling. There's usually a silver lining.

There are a ton of threads on this on the first two-ish pages here. Lots of good advice in those threads.

Thanks for your replies, but I don’t need rain gear or advice. I have plenty of rain gear left from my last two trips and could write a book of advice from what I learned about park touring in the rain during those trips.

I am leaving in two days for my third rain-soaked trip in a row, and I’m pretty bummed about it. :(

I posted hoping that somebody would give me hope that this current weather situation would blow out to sea or hit some part of Florida that isn’t Disney. Or that it would pass in a couple of days.

But obviously, those things are not going to happen, and I feel like crying over it. :(

Thanks for your replies, but I don’t need rain gear or advice. I have plenty of rain gear left from my last two trips and could write a book of advice from what I learned about park touring in the rain during those trips.

I am leaving in two days for my third rain-soaked trip in a row, and I’m pretty bummed about it. :(

I posted hoping that somebody would give me hope that this current weather situation would blow out to sea or hit some part of Florida that isn’t Disney. Or that it would pass in a couple of days.

But obviously, those things are not going to happen, and I feel like crying over it. :(

I am right there with you! Last 5 trips were the end of August and we were always soaked! Switched to May this year, arriving Tuesday, hoping for sunny skies. :(:sad: I am also pretty sad and constantly refreshing the weather hoping for a change.

Pretty much in line with this time of year(or most times of the year) for Florida. That's why the orange growers love it there! Not helpful but we go expecting rain every trip. It's all what you make of it!

Pretty much in line with this time of year(or most times of the year) for Florida. That's why the orange growers love it there! Not helpful but we go expecting rain every trip. It's all what you make of it!

Not from Florida, but I don't think 8 days of drenching, all-day rain is normal. I've done several May trips and the most I got was a daily afternoon thunderstorm.

If you look at the local Orlando news stations they have the chances go down by the end of the week. So maybe it won't be a total wash out. My daughter checks in Wednesday and I am hoping they get some dry time in the parks. Today looks like a total wash out. So hard to plan around Mother nature! I just got back with my friends a week ago and it was so gorgeous everyday! She is just packing ponchos, umbrellas and lots of shoes!

So what you're saying is we should find out when you're going and schedule a different week? ;)

Yes, you should schedule your trip any time I won’t be going. On a similar note, ask me if I bought any major appliances before you buy any because you will want to wait a few months to purchase yours. I have a knack for buying TVs, refrigerators, washers and dryers right before the next big wave of innovation becomes available to consumers.

A lot of rainy days doesn’t mean all day wash outs. Yeah it will be cloudy and rainy but you won’t have torrential down pours all day every day.

You’ll make the best of it and have fun. Positivity.

Sadly, I’m close to using up my quotient of positivity—and I’ve been spending huge amounts of it on things besides Disney. Even Pollyanna ran out of hope after a while.

Last edited:
Yes, you should schedule your trip any time I won’t be going. On a similar note, ask me if I bought any major appliances before you buy any because you will want to wait a few months to purchase yours. I have a knack for buying TVs, refrigerators, washers and dryers right before the next big wave of innovation becomes available to consumers.

Sadly, I’m close to using up my quotient of positivity—and I’ve spending huge amounts of it on things besides Disney. Even Pollyanna ran out of hope after a while.

I’m going myself in August and might need that same positivity. So I’m sure when you come home from your trip and tell us how amazing it was, it will make me feel even more positive. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter