Say it isn't so!

Mickey's changed many times since his inception.....this is just one more...try not to get your pants in a bunch.......
Deal with it..........there are many things in life that can be more disconcerting than a evolving cartoon character......JMHO:scared1:

While I hope they don't tweak him too much; I agree that Mickey Mouse is irrelevent to kids today. Granted, I don't watch the Disney channel...maybe he hangs out there...but even when my own kids were younger they only knew him through old cartoons that I'd purchased on video cassette.

Actually, the article understates it. Mickey, when first conceived, was not just a little "mischeivous". He was far from the cherubic mouse we all know. He was a stretch and squash demon of sorts. Much more akin to a Marx Brother, and Harpo at that.

All of that said, not crazy about what 2009 will do the Mick, but then I'm not to crazy abut 2009's doing to most everybody.

And better a 2009 makeover than a 1993 makeover. I don't think we have to worry about Poochie The Dog just yet.

I wish I had not read this thread. This sounds REALLY NUTSO but Mickey seems real to me. Changes will feel like sci-fi to me. I love the fact that Mickey is timeless and simple and sweet. There are so many characters on cartoons, in the movies, in video games that are sophisticated and "tight" but I want Mickey to be the same. Isn't there anything sacred anymore? :sad1:

I agree that Mickey just isn't relevant to kids now except maybe the very young and it looks like Disney is trying to change that. They already have us old fogies and now they're going after the youth IMO.

Guys, you all are about 6 or 7 years behind. Disney started playing with Mickey's character in the Kingdom Heart Series with his "King Mickey" persona. He actually played a very mysterious and at times dark character in those games. So why the objection to this when his character has already been changed. This is just another step into the evolution of his character.

I agree that Mickey just isn't relevant to kids now except maybe the very young and it looks like Disney is trying to change that. They already have us old fogies and now they're going after the youth IMO.

I think you are right - and I also agree with a poster above that Mickey looks a little scary, but maybe that's the point, give him a bit of an edge. Both my kids have grown up with Mr Nice Mickey, I'm going to get their feedback on this tonight - I'm thinking DS15 will think it's a good move... he would never wear a normal Mickey tshirt anymore out in public (unless he's at WDW) but maybe the new macho Mickey :rotfl2:

It's not a "new" Mickey Mouse at all, the game is basing its design on the old Mickey shorts of the '30s and '40s. Be careful, folks, not to take the screenshot out of context. I doubt Mickey will have that mean, furrowed-brow look all the time, he's just in the middle of concentrating on something. I also think we'll see very little changes in Mickey outside of the new game. The parks and the studio update him every few years anyway, and the changes usually go relatively unnoticed.
Just look at pictures of him over the years. Sometimes he's thin and taller, other times he's short and a bit more stocky. His tail comes and goes. His complexion changes from white to tan and back again. His ears change shape and position. His gloves and buttons change texture and color, and his eyes are always changing shape. And, as previously mentioned, his personality changes to whatever's required of him.

I actually like the "makeover," but I don't think this will transition into the Mickey we see in the parks and at Chef Mickey's Breakfast. I remember seeing Mickey like that in a little teaser ad in Game Informer a few issues back, and thinking "Whooooaaaaa...cool." To each his own.

I was doing some searching on Epic Mickey and found this.

The game which the article describes isn't for kids. I think it is more for teens and adults look at some this art for the game and you will understand what what I'm talking about:

em2sea_transport-thumb-620x372-24107.jpg

em11beach_attack-thumb-620x340-24110.jpg

em3castle_dwn_view-thumb-620x372-24116.jpg

em5goofy_zombie.jpg

em13beetleworx_6.jpg

More art from Epic Mickey here.

It's not a "new" Mickey Mouse at all, the game is basing its design on the old Mickey shorts of the '30s and '40s. Be careful, folks, not to take the screenshot out of context. I doubt Mickey will have that mean, furrowed-brow look all the time, he's just in the middle of concentrating on something.
That's what I got from some articles I've read elsewhere. I think it's gonna be cool and it'll get some older kids in to Mickey again:earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter