Saying "NO" to timeshare

limabeanmom2003

Wilderness Lodge Memories
If you have ever attended one of those 90min timeshare presentations, what is the easiest way to deal with the salesperson when you aren't interested in buying? I hear they turn on you when they realize you aren't interested. If they say you only have to attend a "90minute" presentation, can they drag it out longer and make you stay? I got a great rate by agreeing to attend a sales pitch, and I really don't mind going, but I just want some good suggestions from others on what to tell the salesperson if I am not interested.

Since you accepted the "90 Minute" presentation to get a great price you are committed to at least listen. You certainly are under no obiligation to say yes to any offers to purchase.

However they hold the upper hand in this play. Did you know the "chit chat" they will draw you into before the pitch begins isn't considered, by them, to be part of the 90 minutes? Eating? Don't count that time. The best way to handle the 90 minute factor is to bring a stop watch - tell them you are timing them and start the clock in front of them. Tough to argue with that when the time is over.

But don't go in cold. Whatever resort/group you are going to hear the pitch from you should look up on the Internet and get asking prices for resales. In many cases the resale will be 1/2 of retail - in the real high pressure places maybe 1/4. Just keeping saying "I refuse to pay $$ when I can buy for 1/2 $$$". And then be prepared to fight off the "resale isn't the same" line of bull. Ask them to explain, in writing, what the differences are. Then tell them you never buy without "sleeping on it".

No is still the ultimate answer but in order to get the benefits (gifts, lower cost for lodging) you have to play along at least a bit. Just don't get sucked in to a retail purchase. Even if it turns out you adore the place those resale prices are real and you don't need to pay 50% or more over resale to get the same resort.

limabeanmom2003 said:
can they drag it out longer and make you stay? .

YES, our last presentation (we have done several), lasted 5.5 hours!! What a waste of a day of a beautiful Mexican vacation.

DH now says "NO MORE!!!!"

also make your car is at the sales presentation....big mistake on my part I let them take me at Ft Lauderdale....

make sure your appointment is your last day. (so they can't mess up your vacation plans)

Under Florida law, the timeshare company may not require you to stay longer than 90 minutes in order to receive the promotional item promised for attending the presentation. I agree with what another poster said...bring a stopwatch with you. If your appointment is scheduled for 9am, be there ON TIME and advise them that their 90 minutes begins exactly at 9am, whether or not they actually begin their presentation. Then start the stopwatch precisely at 9am. It lets them know that you are willing to give them the time that you promised, but that you are serious about them following through on their promises as well.

I agree with other posts. We did the Marriott one in Orlando to get
a nicer place than we'd budgeted for. As soon as we said no thanks,
they got a supervisor, then a marketing advisor and then treated
us like we were gum on their shoes. I did not enjoy it and choose
now to shorten my vacation or budget otherwise. I'd heard Marriott
was "low key" but I'd hate to do a Westgate one if this was low key.

riu girl said:
YES, our last presentation (we have done several), lasted 5.5 hours!! What a waste of a day of a beautiful Mexican vacation.

DH now says "NO MORE!!!!"

I wouldn't do a timeshare tour in Mexico either, Suzy!!:teeth:

Unfortunately, the Mexico timeshare sales aren't as strictly regulated as Florida...best advice to anyone on a plane to Mexico is "enjoy your vacation...thinking about doing a timeshare tour? Don't..come home, and buy resale":)

But a tour in Florida...sure;)
We've done Westgate, and they've been the worst..Windsor Hills (I think:scratchin ) was the longest 2.5 hours..but it was a rainy day, and we actually like chatting with our sales rep:) and Disney was the best:)

Another tip...once they have you in the golfcart for the resort tour - don't let them stop to point out lovely things...tell them to get to the unit, show you the pool, and back to the offices/dealroom..

Do a little reading on www.tug2.net and the tour will be fine:)

HTH!

:sunny:

We have attended a few timeshare "tours" and have even bought a week at a place right outside of Disney. I have found that if you tell them that you are in the market to buy, they are less likely to treat you like dirt. However, my escape plan is to tell them that I am leaning towards buying at a resort near my home in New Hampshire, because they will let me use the facilities all year round. Usually they will keep dropping the price dramatically, but when we tell them that we are not interested in their place, they will usually give up. Again, the key is to make them think that you are in the market for a timeshare, but for whatever reason it is not the one they are selling. This way they are not thinking that you only came to get the great rate.

I keep an eye on the time and let them know that I know the law. I also let them know that I have no reason to buy anything because I get all of my accommodations for FREE anyway... they have NOTHING to say after that. :teeth:

I think it's personality type that makes or breaks the presentation, my sister, who is very shy, cannot deal with the sharks. Me, I SWIM WITH THE SHARKS everyday!! They don't effect me at all.

Bottom line, you either want to buy or not. If you do, find out everything you need to know then buy one OUTSIDE of this overpriced mess. If not, get thru it and get out. No one can take anything away from you that you don't give them.

Not liking everything or not agreeing with them helps. Then they can't ever get you into the negotiating stage. When they say "wouldn't this be nice"? Well, not really...we prefer hotels. I actually have fun looking for hotel and trip bargains...no we don't like to golf...we're not beach people, etc. etc.
(all honesty on our part). I also am honest with the salesperson. I told one one time that if I was ever going to buy a time share it would've been from her because she was good, but that I'm not ever going to buy one. So then you'll get, "well why did you come then?" For the FREE STUFF that you keep insisting we go for! You didn't ask us when we signed up for this whether we'd actually consider buying one! All they care about at that time is whether we meet the minimum income requirements. Their fault for their screening process!
We're doing one this weekend, as a matter of fact, in Charleston, where we're getting two free hotel nights, a carriage ride and a $25 gift certificate to a store. But we have to go through the 90 minute spiel. It's okay, we're ready for them.
The worst experience I ever had was making the mistake to be driven to one in the Bahamas. NEVER AGAIN. When we said no, they had no interest in taking us anywhere and we had no idea where we were. They wouldn't even let us use the phone. At least here in the States we have some protection.
I might add that I'm not dissing anyone that chooses to purchase a time share. It can be worth it to a lot of people. It's just not for us.

If you have a tough time saying "no" to salespeople or you just don't like the smarminess that goes along with commission sales techniques, I doubt that whatever incentive you are going to be given for attending is going to seem worth it. Luckily, I have a secret weapon to counter such techniques: my wife. She's beautiful, sweet, and good-natured -- but do not cross her. Our parents gave us a trip to Jamaica for our honeymoon back in the day -- we were counting pennies a lot more carefully back in those days, and a timeshare salesman offered us a free breakfast at a resort in Negril if we would listen to his pitch. We listened as we ate, and politely said no, and then he started with the "rough stuff", acting as if we owed him something and attempting to corner us with a procession of "managers" and "finance reps" who were nothing more than thug arm-twisters with poor hygiene. It wasn't long before my wife stood up and let loose a blast of indignance that singed their nose-hairs. :furious: God I love that woman. We were out of there with no problem, and a full stomach. pirate:

A few years ago we were again enticed to sit through a timeshare presentation in Orlando, but we built in an excuse by taking our two-year old. We figured no salesperson would voluntarily submit himself to our daughter's antics for more than an hour and a half. ;) The irony is, we happened to hit it off with our salesperson, a very funny, self-depracating Argentinian named Italo with a great technique -- he was so good we weren't even aware that the 90 minutes were up, and yes, before we left we actually signed a contract, and since then we've been proud and happy owners at Marriott's Grande Vista. Sure, we probably overpaid a bit in comparison with a re-sale, but we got exactly what we wanted for what we thought was a fair price from a man who deserved every penny of his commission.

In my opinion, the timeshare pitch is what you make of it. Let them intimidate you, and you'll be miserable during the experience. Take the upper hand, and they'll be glad to give you your incentive and be rid of you.

Read the fine print and don't do this overseas but I know someone who'd just buy and then cancel the next day, sometimes even the same day.

we've done many and have yet to say "yes". that being said, I don't think you want to say "no" as they won't send you any more of their deals. I have recently used the "not right now as we have kids getting ready to go into college and we just don't want to spend our funds on a timeshare right now". That being said, i wouldn't buy a timeshare in Florida anyway as they cost too much and the maintenance fees are too high. i do own a timeshare in cape code which I found on eBay and paid one fifth the retail price for. i find the the Marriotts people are not too bad (we've done 3 with them and have naother scheduled in April). we usually spend closer to 2 hours on the tour. But these offers are great deals. Excellent price on the rental, free money and/or tickets, and a free breakfast. We always schedule the earliest time so we can get it over and enjoy the day.

Yes, yes to everything you all are saying!!! We've done several. Many years ago it was easy...just took the 4 kids and it never lasted much longer than the 90 minutes. Now that it's just the two of us...when we meet the person...we say something like "well - we're on a tight schedule this morning - we need to pick someone up at the airport at such and such a time!! Then I keep looking at my watch and signal my hubby when it's time to leave....- works everytime!!!! :wave: Barb

We just did it at Vistana. It was an "owners" update and it was supposed to be one hour. I told the sales guy right off that I would be leaving at precisely x and so hour and that since I had been sitting there waiting for him for 15 minutes, I was counting that towards his 60 minutes. Their pitch right now is to covert you from the Weeks to the Points program. Since I bought my week for $2500, they wanted to charge me $10,000 to convert. I told him that I could buy 4 more weeks for that price thru the resale market, so unless he was going to sell me 4 weeks worth of points for the price, we didn't really have anything else to talk about. He got up and brought the "closer" over who did some kind of survey with me and then gave us our promo items. We were in & out in exactly 60 minutes.

BTW - I've been in sales type jobs for 20 years, and I just love getting to be the buyer. Oh, the power! :goodvibes

Get there 20 min before your scheduled tour, it took us 15 minutes to get through the line to check in for our tour. Once there, we waited 15 minutes for our salesperson... again, none of this counts as your 90 minutes.

Once we were brought into talk, we said no to food and drinks, and started with the person. We were treated rudely the day before when picking up our tickets and hotel voucher and we said as much. First impressions count, and we said upfront that we would not be purchasing. We stay with family when travelling so we dont spend money on hotels, and thus dont need a timeshare.

So you have said no, you were put off by the staff and would not be buying, and you have no need.

Thank them for being polite, but explain to them that you realize they are there to make money, and we will listen to the bare necessities as required by the agreement so they can get to their next appointment and hopefully get a sale there. They run through basic pricing and some world locations in their network of partnerships. Nothing to bad.

Our sales pitch lasted a total of 40 minutes.. So 15 min in line, 15 min wait, and 40 minutes of sales pitch gave us a total of 70 minutes. not to bad. Be polite but firm, and let them move on.

12 sure ways of getting in and out of a timeshare presentation within the 90 - 120 minutes asked.

1. NEVER EAT THEIR BREAKFAST/LUNCH/DINNER!!!! Almost always they offer SOME KIND of meal. Your presentation time does not begin until AFTER you finish your meal/coffee, etc.

2. If you already know what resort your touring, do some research on it!!!! Find out how much "resale" prices are off of different websites. And most importantly BRING IT WITH YOU!!! Nothing gets under their skin more than an "educated" buyer. Some will say not to buy from other resellers because you loose the resort "star" treatment!!! I simple say, "I wouldn't want to buy from a company who does not treat all owners with the FULL respect they deserve"!!!!! Just because some have intelligence enough not to end up paying 17% in interest -they should be punished!!!

3. DON'T BE AFRAID OF BEING RUDE!!!!! Some people are afraid to be rude to people who have no problems being RUDE to them!!! Let them know upfront that you are not interested and have no desire to purchase a timeshare. Be firm!!! Be polite at first then if they are rude - let them know that - and if you have to be rude to prove a point - do so. Now, remember be polite at first. Our first presentation lasted well over 4 hours!!! That's because we didn't want to be rude. TRUST ME BE RUDE – after their 90-120 minutes are up!!!!!

4. If you know for sure that you’re not interested in buying (absolutely sure) and you didn't eat their food - make it CLEAR from the beginning that you have to pick up your family or friend at the airport within 2 hours!!!!

5. If you have been thru a presentation before tell them you have!!! That way you don't have to go thru that speech of how good of an investment the timeshare is, and how much money you'll be saving. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!! If timesharing doesn't make money sense to you - tell them. Here is my take. I personally love staying in timeshares and I've often thought of buying one. But even if we pay cash for one - I'm still responsible for maintenance fees that seem to go up every year. If I've already paid thousands of dollars for a timeshare - and I still have to pay hundreds every year - how much am I really saving? Those maintenance fees get me every time!!!

6. If you have ANY complaints about the property (particularly if you are staying on that site). Bring a list of every reason why you would not buy from that property.)

7. Show your disinterest in your face. These people are trained to "pick up" on those interested. Let me give you an example. My first tour was at an Orlando property (VERY HARD SELL - if you can survive a Westgate presentation you can survive any of them), anyway, A friend of mine (who had their presentation before ours) bought a Timeshare there (a 2-bedroom) for around $13,000. The next day, when we had our presentation, the same 2 bedroom lock out was offered to us at $7500. Because we really were not interested, the price kept getting lower. During August 03 we were offered a 2 bedroom at Westgate Palace for $5000 (we were almost tempted!!!) If you look on ebay right now I'm sure someone is selling a 2 bedroom (at Westgate Lakes) for every bit of $3000-$5,000. You do the math!!!!

8. If you are doing a timeshare at a world wide chain like Marriott, Fairfield or Starwood, they are usually low pressured but still do your research!!!! These are the most expensive.

9. Let them know that you are maxxed out financially (including credit cards) and have NO means for a down payment!!! NO ONE will let you leave without some kind of down payment. Say my favorite line, “I will buy if I don’t have to put down any money – no, I will not leave a post dated check either”!!! Works every time!

10. If they get you to buy and you immediately realize (after leaving the parking lot) that you don't want it or can't afford it. Immediately send your letter to the resort within I believe 3-4 days (it could be more or less) to cancel because after that grace period - ITS GOING ON YOUR CREDIT REPORT!!!!

11. If you don't own a home yet you have to perfect excuse, Why would I buy vacation property before a home? Say, “I must prioritize and right now, it’s not even an option!!!”

12. If you have children, BRING them!!!! Children especially impatient ones (that includes about 99.9% of them)!!!! Let them cry, encourage temper tantrums, and most importantly let the toddler future track star (you know the one that keeps running away from you) Let them do their thing!!!!

Sounds like a lot, I know but still it can be worth it, if the stay is nice (or you are getting a great "gift"). I have a friend and her husband who get a kick out of getting something for "nothing" (if time is nothing). While in Orlando last year they bragged about their $200 cash in 3 hours ($66.66 an hour doesn't sound so bad now does it!!) Their presentations NEVER went over 90 minutes. They did Tip #4 and said they had to pick up her mother at the Airport. Each time leaving with $100 bills. Another friend of mine did a presentation recently for (4) 4 day Disney hoppers for $135 a piece!!!! Hope this helps! It was at Orange Lake and they said the presentation was not a hard sell!

Unfortunately, we were not so lucky to have this site right after we were married. We were given a week at Westgate Lakes as a belated wedding gift. This was explained when the condo was booked, when we checked in, and when we were asked if we were interested in a tour. Each time we respectfully decined the offer explaining that we were there as a gift and as newlyweds, were not prepared to make such a committment when we didn't even own a house yet. They left us alone all week. Until we went to check out. They said that we "needed to fill out a brief survey about our stay in order to checkout." That turned into 2 hours of high pressure tactics and coersion. Then the salesman finally said ok but he would need to get the manager to sign off on our paperwork. The "manager" then proceeded to tell me that I was immature and would be a widow by the time I was 40 because my husband was going to die of a heart attack from not taking yearly vacations. That was it. I was so upset by the time we left, I was almost in tears. AND we almost missed our flight. :furious:

Stand your ground from the beginning and don't be intimidated.

Hasil72 said:
Unfortunately, we were not so lucky to have this site right after we were married. We were given a week at Westgate Lakes as a belated wedding gift. This was explained when the condo was booked, when we checked in, and when we were asked if we were interested in a tour. Each time we respectfully decined the offer explaining that we were there as a gift and as newlyweds, were not prepared to make such a committment when we didn't even own a house yet. They left us alone all week. Until we went to check out. They said that we "needed to fill out a brief survey about our stay in order to checkout." That turned into 2 hours of high pressure tactics and coersion. Then the salesman finally said ok but he would need to get the manager to sign off on our paperwork. The "manager" then proceeded to tell me that I was immature and would be a widow by the time I was 40 because my husband was going to die of a heart attack from not taking yearly vacations. That was it. I was so upset by the time we left, I was almost in tears. AND we almost missed our flight. :furious:

Stand your ground from the beginning and don't be intimidated.

So sorry - but this is typical behavior for Westgate.
I am so PROUD of you for not buying!!!

I ended up buying and boy I feel I was taken big TIME....

I found another thing to do next time - take a tape recorder....and tell them everything said has to go thru your lawyer....then they are on defensive instead of you...

I hate the sales people that lie, cheat and try to make you feel guilty....

Marriott and DVC don't do this - EVER. if you find one that has speak to their supervisor. they will be warned once - it happens again and they are fired...

the best timeshares don't try to pressure you to buy NOW - they also treat you like people - not things....

Thought the stopwatch idea was great but...

the voice recorder is even better.:rotfl:

As the politicos have stated: just say no & don't inhale.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter