• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SB- Decorative scissors

Lesley

DIS Veteran
Being that I'm probably the only scrapper out there who doesn't have tons of these things....I was just wondering this:

If you only had one pair of these what kind would they be?

I have 2 pairs, but neither are ones I find much use for. I didn't get either pair with the intention of using them for my scrapbooks. I am considering getting the Antique ones from CM because I like that particular edge look.

Also, is there any difference in the quality from one brand to another? I have one pair that are Fiskars and another that are some other brand and I'm not particularly thrilled with the way either one works (besides not really liking the patterns...).

And my last question...any hints as to using these? I found that the few times I used the ones I have I had a hard time keeping everything square, corners were hard to do and rounded shapes got all lopsided. Are there tricks to this? or are these the reasons no one actually uses the scissors they've got?

Thanks!

Lesley-
It seems like I always forget to use my decorative scissors. I have all 4 of the CM one's and honestly, I only use the Antique ones. I like that edge, and use them alot. Sometimes outside of scrapbooking. I'll use them to make gift tags or something. I don't think any of them cut and circle or oval well, so I usually just stick to straight lines. You might like a pair that has a zigzag design you could use for grass, water etc... My weakness is punches :D If you have some folks you crop with, you all might a get a pair or two each and then share.

Happy Scrappin,
Candi

I do have zig zag ones that I bought for another project, but I don't find myself wanting that kind of edge in my scrapbooks. Perhaps someday I'll find a use for them in my albums, but for now I think I'm going to put them in the kids' craft box.

I'm glad to hear that the antique ones are getting well used...and that getting them may not be such a bad idea. Everyone seems to say that they have tons of scissors that they never use, so I wondering if this would just end up being a waste of $6.

My favorite is the deckle edge. It's the one that's irregular so you don't have to worry about matching up the design.

As far as brands, I would stick with CM or Fiskars.

I, too, have all the CM scissors. I use the antique one the most, but I do use the scallop to create decorative corners instead of rounder corners. I find that I don't use them too often so I don't recommend other scrappers have a huge scissors collection. I'd rather spend my money on a quality album than to purchase six pair of scissors. Besides, will people really notice you've got four or five different cuts in your album? Nope! They're going to look at the pictures and your journaling!

I mostly use deckle edge and my corner rounder pair. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought long fancy edged scissors rather than short ones - it seems like they'd be easier to use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter