• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SB New to scrapping with questions

christiansmom

DVC Member-BWV 9/2000
Hi ladies:

I have been wanting to scrap for a long time now but have been completely overwhelmed and finally decided to take the plunge on Saturday. I attended a Creative Memories Crop till you Drop and really loved it but left so confused. I have created 3 pages but only using triangles in my corners, basic lettering at top, some light journaling and a few stickers. Help! Where do I go from here to learn some other techniques and make sense of all the terminology?

I have so many questions? With regard to lettering, do most of you use stickers, stencils? Do any of you incorporate print from a computer into your books? If so, do you need a special paper to do so? I am type A and like things pretty neat and symmetrical. Every time I write, I end up with very crooked lines. What are punches vs. die cuts? What tools do you have that you can't live without. As you can see, I am extremely GREEN. Looking for suggestions, recommendations on books, classes, etc. My next Creative Memories get together is on 8/24 but I hate to wait till then.

Thanks and LisaTX, Bev.......love your pages.

Lisa

Thanks Lisa!

I'm pretty new too, I just started after I came back from Disney in May.

I do a combination of things for lettering, I use some stickers, but I find it annoying that you run out of all the 'e's etc, and waste most of the pack. I also write on my pages, but usually own for journalling, not for titles.
My favorite titles are done by tracing, or printing the letters on the back of a piece of paper, and then cutting them out and sticking them in my book. If you find a cool font that you like, you can print it backwards on the reverse of the paper (you can reverse the typing using wordart in Word). Then print it out, and cut out each letter. That way you can have lots of font's easily. (I did this on many layouts, but you can see it on the Minnie layout quite well).
I also use computer journaling - there are differing opinions as to whether you should, but like you I want things to look neat and I am not happy with my handwriting on special pages. You can either print onto acid-free paper, cardstock etc and mount the typing on your page, or I have also printed onto clear sticker paper (I got it from my art-shop, no idea the brand), and then you can cut out the words, and stick it in your book. You can see the sticker, but it blends in pretty well.
I did this a lot in a wedding album I did recently. See here

I don't have many punches, you can go crazy and buy 100's, but I can't afford to, and haven't found that I really need any. I would quite like some basic one's, like a large circle and square that I could use a lot.

Things that I can't live without:

I like Hermafix adhesive, it is repositionable and I find that invaluable as I always change my mind.
I also love my Colluzzle (http://www.coluzzle.com/) I can't cut straight and this makes it very easy to cut oval or circle pics and mounts. I only have the oval & Circle templates (and a heart I have never used), but you can get loads of shapes, I quite fancy the alphabet one, to make titles even easier.

Other than that, I quite like stickers, particularly the Me and My Big Ideas 'grown-up' range,
but really as long as you have lots of paper (not necessarily patterned) just colored paper and cardstock, and you can do a lot.

I am in the UK, so I can't get to classes etc. I have found reading the internet, and magazines to be very helpful. There was a super thread on here with favorite sites, I will try and find it and bump it up. I like to read Creating Keepsakes, PaperKuts and Scrapbooks etc, but there are lots of magazines to look at.
If you look on http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/ you can view 1000's of layouts, some you will love, other's not, but they all give you ideas.

the main thing is just to start, and don't worry too much about how your first pages look. I am not that thrilled with my first few pages, but they get you started. If you don't do the first one's, then you won't be able to do the better one's in a week or a month. I've been scrapping for just 2 months now, and I think the difference between my first pages, and my recent pages is massive.

Bev

I started scrapbooking after our trip to WDW last October. I have a friend that is a Creative Memories consultant and going to some of her crops and seeing other people's ideas really helped me. I am not a creative person. I have both of the Creative Memories Idea books and that helps spur some ideas as well. I did find that once I got going the ideas just started coming to me.
I live in an area where I have limited supplies. Just a small WalMart and Joann Fabrics and Crafts. I'm an hour from a Michael's so when I go there I stock up on paper.
Have fun with your new hobby!!:)

Lisa -

Since it's very overwhelming in the beginning, I suggest starting with basics. My first pages were the triangle-sticker-journaling pages so I know what you're going through. You have to look at it as any other skill. for example, when you first start golfing you're not going to hit that ball long and straight onto the fairway. You're likely to shank it to the right and it won't go very far. Scrapbooking is a lot like that. You develop your skill over time. I still like my first page, but it's not what I would do now. I've definitely eased up on the use of stickers and I don't cut my pictures into crazy shapes anymore. I'm like you - anal retentive - everything has to be symmetrical and look just right. Like I said, you develop your style over time and you shouldn't get too hung up on it.

I suggest starting with basic tools - trimmer, corner rounder and the Custom Cutting System. This will give you a lot of options and you can slowly work your way up.

Punches are fun things to have, but you really could go broke buying these things! I have a few basic shapes, but that's it. My friends and I tend to share. They punch shapes for me and I punch shapes for them.

Die-cuts are pre-cut designs that you can purchase. These are cut with dies by whatever company makes them. Sometimes they're fancy and sometimes they're plain. They come in a different colors and sizes. It just depends on what you're looking for.

As far as lettering, I usually use ABC stickers for my titles. For journaling I'm not usually anal about the captions I write underneath pictures, but if I'm doing a big story or a journaling box (journaling inside a paper box or on a piece of paper and then matted) I like to use CM's Designs & Lines Template. You can only get this item by coordinating a class. You might want to ask your CMC how you can earn one. Anyway, it has a section with lines. I lightly trace a pencil line on my page where I want to journal. This way I know I'm going to have straight lines. After 24 hours of drying time, I go back and erase the lines. Voila! The other alternative is to use the CM ruled pages. You can still mount pictures on these pages and then you can journal the story. Very cool.

I don't usually print my journaling or other things from the computer, but since CM just came out with special paper just for this purpose, I'm thinking I might have to give it a try. I don't think I'd do this in a whole album, cuz I really like the idea of using my writing. My kids will have a piece of me when I'm gone both from my writing and the words. If I print everything off the computer, they'll just have my words.

As far as my favorite tools......My Personal Trimmer, corner rounder and the Custom Cutting System. If I had to choose just one, it would be the custom cutting system. I love the circles and ovals, but my favorite is the 12" cutting piece. Especially since they've come out with the antique and arabesque blades. So much fun!

Well, I hope I've answered some of your questions. Just let me know if you have any more. I would definitely suggest talking to your CMC and either coordinating a home class or having a one on one with her. She'll be able to answer your questions and help you with some of the terminology. Good luck!

Lisa

I have to agree with BevS97 about the coluzzles. I also use my corner rounder a lot. I have to say I prefer my large Fiskars cutter to the Personal Trimmer though. Since I do 12x12 albums I like to be able to use it to cut up to 12 inch strips for borders and such.
I feel my handwriting isn't very good for journaling but my CMC friend told me that we are creating memories and a person's handwriting is a very personal memory. I guess the way she said it made sense to me so I do most of my journaling in my own writing now. My SIL has done some very nice trip ones using a certain font on her computer and it looks really nice.
I guess it's what you feel comfortable with.
Another reason to go to crops is to try out other people's equipment before you spend the money. I have found other scrappers to be extremely generous in letting me try various cutters, adhesives, etc.

What great replies! Thanks so much for all the good tips and advice.

I did purchase the CM fun kit at my first class (swore I wasn't going to buy a thing and ended up spending $229) but don't regret a penny.

I will definitely have to look into a 12" cutting piece. I didn't even think of that but it looks like it will give me more options. Also, the ruled pages sound great. I am an upside down lefty so that will help me lots. Even though I like things very symmetrical, I think I will stick to my own handwriting. You are all so right in that it makes for a much more personal book.

I just ordered the CK Big Book of Disney... from Amazon. Can't wait to get it. I figure I will tackle my Disney pics first which will keep me very busy for a while.

Any of you do baby books or books for your kids? I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to do my albums. First year, book of first, school years, seperating holidays in a different book, etc. What have you done? I have an only child which will probably make it a bit easier but I am still confused.

Thanks again for all the encouragement and advice!

I totally agree with the advice given to you by Lisaschu. I would definitely go for the 12" pattern for the custom cutting system too.

I started out trying to be incredibly creative with all my pages and ended up really stressed out! Then I started getting very simple, doing the same things over and over with shortcuts. Now I'm at the point where I look at idea books for fun and just sort of absorb what's in there by looking over them a whole lot. Then when I'm scrapping the ideas pop out and I get some more interesting page designs without stressing over them. I've come to the conclusion that I'll always have pages that I like more or less than others, but the point is getting my photos into the albums and getting the journaling done. And enjoying what I'm doing....which I wasn't when I was worried about every page being perfect.

Everyone sort of has their own system for albums. I keep a family album (multiple volumes...probably about one per year)that includes holidays and day trips...plus all the other little events in our lives, plus I'm making one for each of my kids ( I have 2) to take with them when they grow up and move out. Beyond that I will have seperate albums for my vacations and one for my wedding. That's about it. Included in my vacation albums will be one album of my trips to the beach over the years and separate Disney trip albums, though those may eventually become compilations if I find I'm taking the same photos over and over.

I agree about the stress factor. I was SO stressed over the first page and although I am only on my fifth I am starting to employ the "this is supposed be fun, not stressful" philosophy. I realize that I have my own style and its is working thus far and I should just stick with it. I tend to get too far ahead of myself and I know I will get better with time but for now, I have a lot of work to do and that is my main objective. My son is three and we have been to Disney 8 times since his birth with lots of mini trips in between.

Thanks for the feedback regarding albums. I will have to ponder that but I am getting some great ideas here.

Thanks for replying! :)

Lisa

As far as albums go my situation is a little different. I have three step-children and since they're not babies I'm not doing baby albums for them. Unfortunately, my husband didn't get the baby pictures in the divorce! So this is how I'm doing their albums:

I'm doing a separate "mini-vacations" album where I put all our small trips/weekend getaways. I usually do a double-page spread for each event. Two doubles if it was a longer trip.

I've got a Christmas album that I do a double page spread per year.

Each of our big family vacations gets it's own album.

I've got a separate album for the trips my hubby and I take.

Each of the kids will get an album upon high school graduation. I just made one for my son. It encompassed his whole life. I did double page spreads for baby years, toddler years, family (with pictures of siblings, mom, dad and step parents, a siblings page, sports throughout the years, dating (prom, homecoming, etc.), graduation and finally a page for his official Air Force picture. I know there were more pictures, but I can't think of them right now.

I figure the kids will split up my albums when I'm dead and gone and even then they'll have to pry them from my cold dead fingers! haha! In the meantime, my girls are working on their own albums chronicling what's important to them. So I figure by the time I pass on, there will be plenty of albums for them to divvy up in the end.

On the other hand, my sister has two little ones. She's created a baby album from birth to two years old. Then she's moved to a second volume. This one generally is a "seasons" album. It's chronilogical and records the big holidays and little stuff inbetween. I believe she's planning to do individual school days albums when they reach school age. Beyond those albums, she has a separate vacation album for her trips with her husband. She incorporates all the vacations with the girls into their individual albums.

Hope this helps!
Lisa

Hi, Lisa. :D Has anyone noticed how many scrapbookers we have named Lisa?:o

I do most of my lettering by hand. I like my lines very precise too. I have a CM template with a series of lines cut into it, just like a sheet of paper. I always mark the lines lightly with pencil first. Then I put the flat edge on the pencil line and write. This keeps my writing from going below the line and keeps them nice and straight. When I'm done, I go back and fill in the letters that go below the line like f g j, etc. Here's the template I use most.
CMtemp.jpg

Lisa, I too love my CM template! I am always using it to journal anything more than 2 lines. I am not too good at keeping my writing straight across the page.

mbs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter