SCAL 2 for Cricut (computer question)

laura&fam

Your stunned silence is very reassuring
My computer is dying and needs replaced. Right now I have a copy of SCAL 2 to use with my cricut that I bought when it was legal but I'm not sure if there's any way to get it on a new computer. Does anyone know if it's possible?

New SCAL software and a new cutter to use it probably aren't in the budget.

I'd send craft edge email they might be able to just give you a new key code.

If my laptop with scal2 dies, ill just get rid of my cricut.

That's a good idea to send an email. The worst that can happen is they say they can't help.

I use SCAL at least 90% of the time with my Cricut so if it doesn't work then my Cricut isn't much use either.

Before the computer goes completely, grab the license number from your Scal2 software, found under the Help tab>about. Write it down.

Then save or move the program to a portable drive. You may or may not need the license number. You can then use the program through the drive with your new computer. It won't actually be on the new computer but on the portable external drive. I had to do this when my old laptop was going on me. You must move the entire program...easiest way is on a zip file. Within the entire file will be the installation application for either 32 or 62 bit. Again, it is important to have the entire file as there are critical .dll files associated with it.

Yes, you could also upgrade but like you, a new machine was not in the budget so I continue to use SCAL2 and my old Expression2. When that machine dies on me I will go to a silhouette/cameo most likely but funds are still tight these days.

Thanks!

We have an external drive already hooked to the computer and my SCAL files are already on it so that should be pretty easy.

If you happen to have saved the actual installation file that we downloaded from SCAL, that is the easiest way to move it over because then you just enter your license number and you will be good to go. Otherwise you can find the installation packet in the parent folder on your computer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter