• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Scared to go solo

Thanks for sharing your experience, pharaoh. I am going solo in May and am looking forward to watching all the entertainments in Epcot that the kids aren't interested in. I don't have a problem drinking alone (maybe that means I have a problem? lol) I'm not planning any TS meals at this point because I like to eat light, but may do tea at the GF.

hello everyone! I just put up a new thread bc I am thinking of heading down on a solo trip from NY but never ever traveled alone before (except business trips) so I was kinda scared - LOL after seeing your posts - im def gonna do it!

I was so lonely during my short solo trip of two days. I guess because I had just spent 3 days prior with DH before he had to return home.

Thanks for your post, pharoah! I too am a super-awkward person (lol) and was really nervous for my first solo trip, but I had so much fun I'm squeezing in another one in a few months. Maybe because I went during F&W, but I loved Epcot solo! I actually felt the most comfortable by myself in that park.

And for anyone who is nervous or uncomfortable eating by yourself, the one thing I was really surprised by was that I found TS dining MUCH more pleasant than grabbing a quick bite at the CS places. More often than not, I would find myself having to share a table with other people. Eating alone with strangers makes me want to vomit all over myself :eek: It was very awkward for me. So don't be afraid of making those ADRs!!

Thanks for sharing your experience, pharaoh. I am going solo in May and am looking forward to watching all the entertainments in Epcot that the kids aren't interested in. I don't have a problem drinking alone (maybe that means I have a problem? lol) I'm not planning any TS meals at this point because I like to eat light, but may do tea at the GF.
I went for tea at GF during solo visit. It was so relaxing. It is a great spot to rest after a busy morning.

Hi all! Just wanted to put in my two cents even though I'm kinda late for the topic. I had contemplated going on a solo trip about last year. I had my dates set for December 2012, then it changed to June 2013, and I finally did go in August 2013. It was awesome!

There were pros and cons to going alone, but I don't regret any part of my trip. Traveling was the worst part of it all. I think mainly because you aren't surrounded by the magic. Doesn't help I almost missed my flight home from Atlanta because I didn't have enough time between flights to get from one part of the airport to the other.

I did mostly keep to myself, but had talked to many other people throughout my trip. Mostly cast members, but there were a few others. It happens when you least expect it, but most of the time when you're waiting for something. Most of my encounters were while waiting for Wishes to start and I had some pretty interesting conversations with others. And if I didn't talk too much during the day, I called my mom at home to say good night, lol.

Dining alone was a bit awkward too, but really didn't have a problem with it. I didn't do any table services, even though I wanted to. By dining at off times of the day I sometimes had an entire area to myself to just sit and eat, play with my phone, or go through pictures on my camera. I often didn't even take time to stop and eat. Some days I didn't even watch what I was eating and spent most of my meals at window counters getting ice cream sundaes and dole whips, lol. That is my idea of a good meal;)

Rides weren't bad, I avoided a few that would be awkward riding with other people, like Test Track. But some were very fun alone and with others. One attraction I enjoyed alone was Kilimanjaro Safaris, I visited that about 5 times one day and got some of my best photos taken on it ever.

I loved being able to do whatever I wanted. Went to rope drop every morning, played myself out then went back to the hotel for a nap, shower and change of clothes before I was back in the parks. Each night I debated doing Illuminations, Fantasmic, or Wishes. So, one night of my trip I had seen Illuminations from Japan which wasn't not crowded at all. Every other night of my trip I was at Magic Kingdom for Wishes. I love fireworks, and photographing them too!

I really wanted to meet some characters, but I was a bit hesitant about it. One night, it was around closing at Magic Kingdom and I wandered through Storybookland Circus. I wanted to see the new Minnie, Daisy, Donald and Goofy. So it said a 5 minute wait and I went in. Talk about weird...No one was there except for about 8 cast members and the four characters. They took my picture with them all and I hopped from one to another. It didn't go on without a show though. Daisy was trying to make Donald jealous when I was with her, and Goofy kept picking on me, and tried to steal the lens cap from my camera. Then I played follow the leader with Donald until he collapsed against the wall, panting. A cast member asked why he was so worn out, and he replied through gesture that it was because of his big backside. It was hilarious, but a good time.

Overall, I'm glad I went alone, and if I can afford it I think I am going to plan another one soon. So just do what you feel you can do and go. You'll have a great time, just don't be afraid to do it. There are a ton of nice people to chat with.

One reason I choose WDW to go to when my husband can't accompany me is that I always feel safe. And with all the crowds there, NO one notices a solo traveler.

But I do feel self conscious eating in a TS restaurant. So the suggestions to bring a book, tablet or magazine are very helpful. One year I was at a counter service restaurant, got my food and carried my tray looking for an empty table. All tables were occupied, but an older couple invited me to sit with them, and I really enjoyed talking with them. Sometimes being by yourself gives you the unexpected opportunity to talk to people you might not have met otherwise.

Best opening line? "Where are you from?" :wave2:

One reason I choose WDW to go to when my husband can't accompany me is that I always feel safe. And with all the crowds there, NO one notices a solo traveler.

But I do feel self conscious eating in a TS restaurant. So the suggestions to bring a book, tablet or magazine are very helpful. One year I was at a counter service restaurant, got my food and carried my tray looking for an empty table. All tables were occupied, but an older couple invited me to sit with them, and I really enjoyed talking with them. Sometimes being by yourself gives you the unexpected opportunity to talk to people you might not have met otherwise.

Best opening line? "Where are you from?" :wave2:

This post gives me confidence I too would like to go solo, I love being with people, but I am perfectly happy to be by myself throughout daily life. The safety factor is something that worries me, like walking back to my room when leaving a park at night.

This post gives me confidence I too would like to go solo, I love being with people, but I am perfectly happy to be by myself throughout daily life. The safety factor is something that worries me, like walking back to my room when leaving a park at night.

It's always good to be vigilant, but I think Disney does a pretty good job with security. If it makes you feel better, you could also choose one of the resorts where the rooms are connected in a central building (rather than sprawled out across a larger outdoor area).

Disney fix needed, but kids can't miss any school. So....I booked my first solo trip and now I'm getting scared! I've never been on a solo trip. Not sure if I will enjoy myself alone. Any tips to make it through a week alone? Anyone want to join me? 1/22-1/28? Just thought I'd put it out there.

I think going alone would be, well very lonely. But you'd be free to do whatever you want to do and go where ever you want to! Unlimited freedom! I'd love that, but I'd hate to go alone. I'd think about trying to find someone who wants to do the same things as do you while you're there ?

Me again. I've never felt comfortable doing TS meals apart from breakfast at Kona Cafe, I've done two the Luau and Ohana, I felt really uncomfortable at the Luau as I was stared at by the people at the next table throughout, but, for some reason I got food for two, so double the dessert! Ohana was a disaster, characters completely by passed my table until I had to say something to one of the servers and my server hardly gave me any attention. I was gutted that I never got a photo with Stitch, but, Pluto made up for it, he was hilarious. I want to do the Star Wars breakfast at Sci Fi, but, I'm holding back as I'm worried it'll a repeat of Ohana.

I've been on 3 solo trips now and never had an issue with that (do be vigilant, as another poster said). I got lucky at BC in 2012 and got a pixie dust upgrade to club level where I had a great location close to and a straight shot down the hall from the concierge lobby and lounge. I'm not sure I would have felt as comfortable if I'd had to walk home alone down a long, winding, enclosed hallway.

I've stayed the past 2 years at POFQ, which I loved. The compact size and single bus stop are great - odds are, if you're coming home from a park, you will always be on a bus full of other people doing the same thing.

At POFQ, I was in bldg 5 in 2013 and bldg 2 in 2014. In bldg 5, I was facing the lawn and came home each evening while the movie was showing, so there were always plenty of people/families around (I even saw the horsedrawn carriage on its route one night). In bldg 2, I was facing the pool (although it was under rehab) and not far from the boat dock. I think POFQ does a good job with the "street" and "porch" lights. And maybe this is silly, :confused3 but I feel like, with the "exterior corridors" and walking outside, you can see who's around and there's probably someone within shouting distance if needed. If I were staying at a more spread out Mod or Value I would definitely spring for a "preferred" room to put myself closer to the main building. (No preferred rooms at POFQ because nothing's very far.)

Oh, and the short answer is, solo trips are awesome!

Life is much more enjoyable when you stop focusing on what others think about you and start focusing on you.

I met Goofy and Donald in New Fantasyland and I was the only adult in lines without little kids (and I'm a 40 year old man), I felt a little out of place until Goofy pulled me in and gave me a huge hug and then I felt like a little kid and it was so worth it. That was the turning point in my vacation where I went from being a solo adult in WDW to being a solo kid in WDW without parents telling him what he could or couldn't do. From that point on I was just a kid in an amazing amusement park and met lots of characters, went on every ride possible, ate junk food, etc, etc, etc. Disney Magic!

Thanks Viva Las Disney. I am looking at my first solo trip 11/29-12/12 and while I am a bit anxious about it, I never have time to meet characters. I will make it a point to do this next trip. I have been wanting to meet Mary Poppins in EPCOT for years, along with many others. There are plenty of other things I haven't tried yet such as Dole Whips or the Jungle Cruise after dark! Does anyone know if the characters usually have CM with them to take pics? I would hate to ask others to always take pics with my camera for me. I will be getting Memory Maker too but I know they are not everywhere. Thanks to everyone for helping me do it! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter