Scathing report from Frommer's on Genie+/LL

To me the main reason why Disneyland debuted the Genie+/Lightning Lane system was simply because people who go to Disneyland don't want to wait in long lines to ride popular attractions especially if you are a family with tired crying infants and impatient toddlers who cannot wait in long lines for so long to ride certain rides. But when Fastpass was replaced in Disneyland by the Genie+ system and Lightning Lane system many people thought that this was supposed to be a great new invention of the Disney minds.

I guess you don't remember the MaxPass era, which was fantastic. Disneyland had a great system that worked well. It was a paid version of FastPass, but infinitely better than Genie+. You got to pick your return window for the ride, it included PhotoPass, and it was around $20. I will never understand why they never exported MaxPass to the East Coast.

I never used the term woke at all, and I'll just say in my family I have one child that is gay and one that is trans, so don't assume where I stand on woke stuff. My issue, as I said, is good story telling. For example I loved the MCU Black Widow, even the last installment - great female lead, good characters and script, I'd love to see more. Capt Marvel, IMHO suffered from an average, however I found Brie Larson to be a poor choice to bring that role to life. Then Disney did it's thing and we got the hot mess that was The Marvels. For those that don't know, Captain Marvel was not always a male character, the character changes through the comics, Carol Danvers was the 7th Captain Marvel, so again its not that the character was a woman, its the poor script, poor directing and poor actors. I belive that Disney can and should be doing better.

Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah. Someone else already said that.

I’m not sure how the recency of a person’s visit qualifies or disqualifies one from having an opinion.

It doesn't disqualify them from having an opinion. It disqualifies them from having an informed opinion. DodgerGirl likes to opine on things here a lot that she has never experienced and is often very misinformed about. The parks have changed a great deal in 20 years, so no, I would not trust the opinion of someone who hasn't been in one in two decades over people who are there more recently.

Just as I would not expect anyone to trust my opinion on WDW as I have not been there since 1990. (There were only 3 parks then!)

I guess you don't remember the MaxPass era, which was fantastic. Disneyland had a great system that worked well. It was a paid version of FastPass, but infinitely better than Genie+. You got to pick your return window for the ride, it included PhotoPass, and it was around $20. I will never understand why they never exported MaxPass to the East Coast.
This! I was going to say the same thing. My guess is that the west coast was screwed by the east coast because WDW doesn't have enough rides to make Maxpass work. So IOW, Disney didn't want to do two different systems (Maxpass on the west coast and Genie+ plus Individual LL on the east coast) so we lost a superior system that worked! I would be willing to pay quite a bit more for Maxpass versus Genie+.

When you are not on the rides, the land just kind of falls flat. It's just not even close to what we were promised or were lead to believe to expect at Galaxy's Edge.
I thought it was WOW at night, during the day it was just nice. Other than removing the tourists (which I assume was the StarCruiser theory) what do you think is missing or something you expected that is not there? I believe Disney listens to feedback (heaven knows they send me enough surveys!) - even if it's not always feasible to implement it. There are obviously still some talented people working there ;)

Edit: I agree they need a couple more rides, I thought about it and maybe something simple outdoors, like the CaAdventure Zephyr, where you could take kids or a group to spin around and see the sights, but it would need to be very well themed. Maybe pilot headsets with cool music ;)

Last edited:
I agree with all of this. ROTR is also an amazing ride. Galaxy's Edge is a mediocre land overall (I think that's being kind) with two fantastic rides and an wonderful peach iced tea. When you are not on the rides, the land just kind of falls flat. It's just not even close to what we were promised or were lead to believe to expect at Galaxy's Edge.

Galaxy's Edge is interesting. In many ways I think it's very well done. I do think they could have added a few more things, but it does kind of feel like what I expected if I was in a Star Wars land. I think they could add another ride or two for sure and would be cool if they updated Star Tours to be a bit more modern.

What do you wish they had? What did you expect that wasn't included?

It doesn't disqualify them from having an opinion. It disqualifies them from having an informed opinion. DodgerGirl likes to opine on things here a lot that she has never experienced and is often very misinformed about. The parks have changed a great deal in 20 years, so no, I would not trust the opinion of someone who hasn't been in one in two decades over people who are there more recently.

Just as I would not expect anyone to trust my opinion on WDW as I have not been there since 1990. (There were only 3 parks then!)
I disagree. I am informed about a lot of things that I haven't experienced personally.

Regardless, I still don't understand why more than one person quickly jumped on to "shame" DodgerGirl about her lack of timely personal experience. If you don't think her thoughts worth reading, why not ignore her or block her, rather than letting us all know we shouldn't care what she says. Weird flex, TBH.

The person you're quoting has not been to a Disney park since 2004, so 20 years ago. And yes, that did hurt my soul to type that 2004 was two decades ago.
I wish she would take a leap of faith and go visit both DL and WDW. Maybe she'd see how biased and untruthful social media could be. I took a 7 month hiatus from WDW, and from reading some of the posts during that time, I expected to return to filthy parks with unprofessional CMs, rude guests, and a Genie+ that had mutated itself into the most convoluted & difficult system. Thankfully, all those reports were wrong.

I wish she would take a leap of faith and go visit both DL and WDW. Maybe she'd see how biased and untruthful social media could be. I took a 7 month hiatus from WDW, and from reading some of the posts during that time, I expected to return to filthy parks with unprofessional CMs, rude guests, and a Genie+ that had mutated itself into the most convoluted & difficult system. Thankfully, all those reports were wrong.
Out of those complaints, the rude guests one is unfortunately present. The behavior I've seen within the past year at Disney parks is genuinely shocking.

I disagree. I am informed about a lot of things that I haven't experienced personally.

Regardless, I still don't understand why more than one person quickly jumped on to "shame" DodgerGirl about her lack of timely personal experience. If you don't think her thoughts worth reading, why not ignore her or block her, rather than letting us all know we shouldn't care what she says. Weird flex, TBH.

You can feel free to disagree. However, sometimes hands on and real world experience is going to be much more reliable than "I've read everything about this thing". She reads a LOT of online posts and watches YouTube videos, which in and of themselves is not even that reliable. (Especially with certain sites that are click-bait and misinformed themselves.)

The issue with DodgerGirl specifically is that a lot of times her posts have confused people in this forum because she presents wrong information constantly and each time other posters have to jump in and correct her. That is the problem here and why other posters will try to make others aware that you can't necessarily trust what she says. If someone is going on their first trip ever to DLR, and they're reading DodgerGirl's posts, they're going to get a whole different idea of what it's about rather than reading the posts of a person who was there last week. That's likely the reason why people don't ignore/block her, because this is supposed to be a forum to help others and they just aren't going to get help or good advice from her specifically.

So, if you want tips on WDW, ask me, I've read a lot about it. Haven't been since 1990 though, so I'm sure it's just as accurate as my friend's info who was just there 3 weeks ago. Right?

I think people have very rose-colored glasses when it comes to MaxPass/FastPass at Disneyland. The fact is, many of the rides that took part would have their return times shoot to the end of the day in the first couple hours (or sooner, especially RSR). If you purchased MaxPass and wasn’t aware about things like refreshing, you could really waste your money. The changes made for Genie+ make it much more valuable to the average visitor IMO.

I think people have very rose-colored glasses when it comes to MaxPass/FastPass at Disneyland. The fact is, many of the rides that took part would have their return times shoot to the end of the day in the first couple hours (or sooner, especially RSR). If you purchased MaxPass and wasn’t aware about things like refreshing, you could really waste your money. The changes made for Genie+ make it much more valuable to the average visitor IMO.

I noticed that same thing happened with G+ with some rides at WDW though. Good luck getting on Slinky Dog, for example. I tried at 7:05am and it was done for the day. Pretty annoying.

I don't think I ever used Max Pass and had assumed it was basically the same as G+. How was it different?

I noticed that same thing happened with G+ with some rides at WDW though. Good luck getting on Slinky Dog, for example. I tried at 7:05am and it was done for the day. Pretty annoying.

I don't think I ever used Max Pass and had assumed it was basically the same as G+. How was it different?
Differences
  • It allowed multiple FPs for the same ride in a day.
  • It had a free version (FP stations)
  • It had a smaller “cool down” period. I believe 90 minutes instead of 2 hours.
  • There was an “Unlimited” option add-on for AP holders.
The last bullet point is what really killed it at DL because of the attendee list.

Note: my comment was intended only for DL. I really don’t know what might work at WDW. I think the mix in attendees is so different, not sure it makes sense for both parks to have the same system. I was just commenting on people who very fondly remember MP at DL.

There is a cost to everything

I think APs and people doing day trips would prefer Max pass over Genie plus because who care if you go on less rides most don't want to spend 30+ a day to get on rides.

For APs now if you even do it just 10 times in a year its 250-300 (depending if you get a discount or not)

But at least people I knew, loved Max pass and said it worked perfect for a full day at the park.

Genie Plus also seems like more guests are allowed in the line making normal lines longer for that reason (the parks are for sure not as full as per covid even now) along with many complaining about DAS which Freshbaked pointed out saw a huge amount of people starting to use that once it started to cost for Genie Plus

So while Max Pass isn't perfect, unless you have tons of extra cash it was the better system for most guests

So while Max Pass isn't perfect, unless you have tons of extra cash it was the better system for most guests
I will repeat my theory that the goal of Genie+ at Disneyland is to make for a better experience for visitors (who are more likely to be ok with paying a bit more per day) at the expense of Magic Key holders. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It wasn’t better for “most guests”. It was better for AP/MK’s and power users that could really game the system.

I will repeat my theory that the goal of Genie+ at Disneyland is to make for a better experience for visitors (who are more likely to be ok with paying a bit more per day) at the expense of Magic Key holders. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It wasn’t better for “most guests”. It was better for AP/MK’s and power users that could really game the system.
I guess depends on what you mean better

But I rather ride like 2-3 less rides then pay 30 bucks a visit to get on he rides I want.

FP was loved for 20+ years and Max pass was the same thing with some added elements but for sure if you asked guess if they liked Max Pass or Genie Plus more you would see even normal guests go for the free/cheaper service then what we have now

From a Business view, I understand why Disney wants this but guests....I'd loveeeee to meet a guest that wants to pay more for basically less

I guess depends on what you mean better

But I rather ride like 2-3 less rides then pay 30 bucks a visit to get on he rides I want.

FP was loved for 20+ years and Max pass was the same thing with some added elements but for sure if you asked guess if they liked Max Pass or Genie Plus more you would see even normal guests go for the free/cheaper service then what we have now

From a Business view, I understand why Disney wants this but guests....I'd loveeeee to meet a guest that wants to pay more for basically less
Spoken like a true AP/MK’er 🤣

Galaxy's Edge is interesting. In many ways I think it's very well done. I do think they could have added a few more things, but it does kind of feel like what I expected if I was in a Star Wars land. I think they could add another ride or two for sure and would be cool if they updated Star Tours to be a bit more modern.

What do you wish they had? What did you expect that wasn't included?
I'll give you my opinion on it. The caveat is that I'm a life long Star Wars fan, so my opinion may be a bit biased...and long. Also, apologies in advance for the further derailing of this thread 🤣

For a dedicated Star Wars land, Disney had SO MUCH subject matter they could have gone off of. I mean...my first reaction to Galaxy's Edge was, why not something recognizable like Tatooine? They could have done a variety of other recognizable Star Wars lands...or even combine a few into one! Batuu was a weird choice. Yes, there is the book series on Galaxy's Edge (that came out around the same time as the land itself), but that's not something your mainstream Star Wars fan is going to like. It's about the movies and series (e.g., Clone Wars, Mandalorian, etc.).

My main comparison of disappointment was to Carsland/Radiator Springs. I am not a fan of the movies, but I LOVE the land and all its immersion. We make a point to spend time there every trip. It's just amazing. I don't get that from Galaxy's Edge whatsoever.

Also, in that sam vein, Galaxy's Edge is kind of like if they made Carsland based on a book series about some random Cars character's side story.

Last edited:
I'll give you my opinion on it. The caveat is that I'm a life long Star Wars fan, so my opinion may be a bit biased...and long. Also, apologies in advance for the further derailing of this thread 🤣

For a dedicated Star Wars land, Disney had SO MUCH subject matter they could have gone off of. I mean...my first reaction to Galaxy's Edge was, why not something recognizable like Tatooine? They could have done a variety of other recognizable Star Wars lands...or even combine a few into one! Batuu was a weird choice. Yes, there is the book series on Galaxy's Edge (that came out around the same time as the land itself), but that's not something your mainstream Star Wars fan is going to like. It's about the movies and series (e.g., Clone Wars, Mandalorian, etc.).

My main comparison of disappointment was to Carsland/Radiator Springs. I am not a fan of the movies, but I LOVE the land and all its immersion. We make a point to spend time there every trip. It's just amazing. I don't get that from Galaxy's Edge whatsoever.

Also, in that sam vein, Galaxy's Edge is kind of like if they made Carsland based on a book series about some random Cars character's side story.
LOL no worries about derailment. It's all interesting to discuss.

I've never been a SW fan. My son is a HUGE SW groupie, but it's far too depressing for my taste. I love fantasy, but I don't love dystopian and to me it doesn't fit in DLR. I don't really consider it Disney, but that becomes tricky because there are other properties that Disney acquired that I do like. One of my best friends ADORES SW/GE and we have interesting debates. I always win (in my own mind :rotfl:).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter