Scholastic Book Clubs

I’ve always been a big reader always loved when they had the opportunities to buy the Scholastic books. I don’t have kids so no clues if they still have it in our local schools. I still like having paper books I always buy online from Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

I'm not sure if they even had the Scholastic Book sales in schools here anymore.
However, I live a few blocks from a community center and every once in a while they have a Scholastic Book Fair there on a Saturday. They have a big semi trailer all painted up with Scholastic Book Fair on it, and they have book cases on wheels that they roll inside and set up to sell the books on site. No waiting for them to come in the mail.
Like this.photo.jpg

Love the truck, Tvguy, thanks for sharing.

I remembered earlier that way back in the 80's there was also a Troll book club similar to the others where you filled out a form at school and eventually got to have fun picking up your books in the school's library.

Now, I extra miss the long gone One Dollar Bookstores. Not quite the same as the old school forms but such a bargain.

Happy Sunday reading to all and thank you for sharing some of your children's books memories with us.

the school district my kids attended would send out emails announcing upcoming events including the scholastic book fairs. well into their high school years my kids could count on their christmas stockings containing the silliest pens, pencils, erasers and rulers.

I loved them as a kid. I will concur they are still around, my dgd brought home a flyer the other day. They will have family night to come look at books as well as kids go during class and go online.

You know what I miss?
The Multiple Scoliosis read a thon.

I remember this and that I got scammed out of $2 when the book was never shipped and I didn't get a refund :P

In my day, and in Minnesota, it was called the Arrow Book Club. The flyers came out monthly and my parents let me order as many as I could read (we had no TV in my house until I was 10, so I did a lot of reading). The paper backs were just wonderful--I can still remember so many of the ones I bought. They would range in price from .15 cents each to about .45 cents apiece. The classroom order would come in, in a great big box, and the teacher would distribute. I think every student got at least one or two--some were joke books or sports trivia, and then there were a lot of classics, but also fun and funky ones, too. It was a huge part of my 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade life.

Then we moved to Illinois for 5th grade, and I think they had the Scholastic Book Club there, so I continued it for 5th and 6th grade. Then we moved downstate to a university laboratory school for junior high--no book club anymore. Moved to the library then.

Books were a very big part of my childhood, and these book clubs, especially the Arrow Book Club, were so inexpensive that a single dollar could net you several books.

I don't know about the recent flyers or the club, but Scholastic is definitely still around. It published the U.S. versions of the Harry Potter books.

I do remember Scholastic vaguely as a child - but I was "learning" the English language. I doubt I/we were in the club.

I did purchase Highlights for Children for my kids when they were young. Love these.

It wasn't a real club, in that there weren't meetings or officers or anything, like you might have in chess club or drama club. That's just what they called it.

It was funny, I grew up poor, but we always had money for books. Especially the Scholastic books, which were mostly paperbacks, back in the day. I'd always be the kid in class who got a big stack of them on book delivery day.

For my kids' schools, I would always buy the teacher's entire wish list at book fairs. I remember what it was like to be poor, books saved me, so I pay it forward. Book fairs had more hard cover books, and extras like posters, fancy pencils, etc.

I used to love Scholastic! We'd get the catalogs, and the day our books came in was like Christmas.

All of our Reading Is Fundamental books were Scholastic.

I still have some of my books to this day.

I don't remember having book fairs but bought tons of books from the flyers. I don't remember any special club or rewards program but there were some books that included something extra. My kids had both flyers and 3 scholarstic book fairs a year. I helped at many of the book fairs. Some kids were very excited and some only cared about the non book stuff. We were open once or twice after school for parents and had teacher wishlists for interested parents. While I do not know how they were chosen/given out but between the school nurse,, pto, and principal's discretionary fund all kids they knew who couldn't afford a book were given a voucher. The school still participates in scholarstic book sales and book fairs.

I don't know about the recent flyers or the club, but Scholastic is definitely still around. It published the U.S. versions of the Harry Potter books.
LOL. You realize the Harry Potter books first came out 25 years ago. More than a generation ago!

When you were a child in school did you join the Scholastic Book Clubs at your school? They were a book club that sold books through a mail-order type of club and every month they would send you store ad-like brochures all about the newest and hottest books for sale and if you wanted to buy books you could fill out the order form and give it to your teacher and in a week you got the books you ordered. I LOVED the Scholastic Book Clubs and bought many books from there as a child and it was so neat and in addition they would give you bonus books too and I got lots of cool stuff when I joined and it's a shame that Scholastic Book Clubs are no longer seen in elementary schools today because along with Scholastic Book Fairs these clubs were the best part of going to school
Dodger

They are absolutely still around! I've done many hours at the scholastic book fair at my kids' school, and they always come home with the same-exact-looking brochures before hand like we had when we were little

LOL. You realize the Harry Potter books first came out 25 years ago. More than a generation ago!
Yikes, I feel old! I've re-read them more than once, but I still remember the anticipation as the last few came out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter