School return for fall

momto2

greet each new day as a magical journey.
When does the majority of schools start for the 2022-2023 school year in California? Is it before or after Labor Day?

Northern CA most start around mid-August. There are a LOT of different school districts near disney but LAUSD starts on the 16th and Anaheim starts on the 11th so I would say the vast amount of students will be back in class by the week of August 16.

Not CA, but in AZ (5-6 hour drive) we start 8/3. I’d say almost all AZ schools will have started by the 10th.

Do crowd levels go significantly down once local school districts are back in session? Midweek levels?

In the before times ... the week before school started would be crowded as everyone squeezed in "one last trip" but with reservations now I don't know if that will track.

If you are looking to avoid a crowded park on your visit....

Book a time that works for you and can get a park reservation.
Any more you can not count on anything in an attempt to visit during a low crowd time.

Disney has managed to muddle it up so there are no slow times or really low crowd days.
The only time I have heard the crowds are low are the last hour or so the park is open.

Thanks everyone! I know there are no slow times, just want to avoid that 'one last quick trip' before school starts hike!🤣

Do crowd levels go significantly down once local school districts are back in session? Midweek levels?
Probably not significantly. Naturally, parents tend not to take their kids out of school the first few weeks and many parents are busy on the weekends with extra curriculars. There is some impact from reduced local families.

Remember, however, that Magic Key blackout dates are lifted right around the same time that kids are going back to school. So, you may not have as many local families attending, but those passholders I would imagine would be back in droves with some pent up demand.

This is so tough to time. Formally local but now college students will also try to get in one last quick trip before they leave home or go back for the semester (I know I did). Families moving their kids in for college will probably pop in too.

San Diego schools start Aug 29 but there are a decent amount of year round schools. School start times have also been delayed by a week due to heat.

Block out days for one key lift Aug 15 and Aug 22 for another key (assuming they don’t introduce yet another key type)

Halloween officially starts Sept 2 (for some reason) and the first OBB is on Sept 6, the day after Labor Day.

The California resident ticket is expires Sept 15 so there will likely be a rush from them to use it before it expires….

They are purposefully engineering it to be at capacity as often as they can

Last year, the last bit of August after kids were back in school and before Halloween started in September was a sweet spot in terms of low crowds. I can imagine the 28th to before Halloween being a sweet spot this year as well. Mainly because a lot of people bought their keys on the 25th and activated on the 26th but are so upset by Disney that they're not renewing so before the 25th will be when all those keyholders are getting in their last trips.

Last week of August is the best, most, if not all CA schools are back by then. A good chunk of Northern CA schools start back on the last week of August. First week of September is good too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter