Sci fi dine in and ABC Commissary closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be cool with another dark ride, but they're kinda spiting themselves if they do that. As noted not a ton of places to dine in the studios already
Currently true but with 2 dining locations in SWE and 1 in TSL with good capacity I see no problem with getting rid of ABC but they may need to do some refurbs on Sunset and prime time to get them back on their feet

Poor Commissary, It's where I worked on the ICP. It has amazing air conditioning for a poor Scottish thing like me! The issue I have with the QS in DHS is a lot of it is outside, such as sunset boulevard I think they would need another in door one. Also ABC is huge, so they would need one with lots of seating.

However I'm always up for something new and love changes!

Poor Commissary, It's where I worked on the ICP. It has amazing air conditioning for a poor Scottish thing like me! The issue I have with the QS in DHS is a lot of it is outside, such as sunset boulevard I think they would need another in door one. Also ABC is huge, so they would need one with lots of seating.

However I'm always up for something new and love changes!

I just eat at the commissary for the AC and seating. It definitely isn't for the food.

I'm grateful to live in an area with a lot of ethnic cuisine, and for the most part that's usually how I eat.

I also dislike noisy chaotic eating environments and overly cuttered dining areas. However, I do like visiting authentic/older diners with my husband when we travel- it gives you a different experience/impression of some areas. Yes, it's generally safe, bland, greasy food, but when it's so infrequent it doesn't bother me as much. We are actually planning on trying the Sci Fi Diner-not for any above reasons, but because it is so unique to the park and seems to embody the "spirit" of Hollywood Studios. Plus, given the alternatives, it really doesn't seem that bad. Frankly I am nervous to see what Disney considers "ethnic dining" at other points of our trip. So far I've had no reason to expect quality food on property. We will be eating at Disney Springs a lot again. ;)

I can actually deal with sci fi because it's so unique and it is pretty quiet in reality. Enjoy it - the food is perfectly serviceable.

Every time Disney opens a new place and lists an inventive, well thought out menu, I cry a little inside because I know I'm about 0.2 seconds people are going to be crying about wanting their burger and fries and why can't the new place serve that, even though a large portion of the in-park menus are already that generic fare. Why can't they just leave one or two places in park with different menus alone??

Dining in Hollywood Studios is bleak. Our friends who go always ask me where they should eat when they visit that park, and I end up having to tell them to just go eat elsewhere (I have a hard time recommending Hollywood Brown Derby after our disasterous experience there).

our go-to in DHS has become the Brown Derby Lounge - no ADR needed, good food and drinks

Brown derby is excellent food...the outside patio is a fantastic option as well.

Another for the HBD lounge, I can't remember if I'm been in the restaurant since it opened, but I love outside dining, so that will usually sway me. Of course, I don't think I've ever complained about it being too hot. I'm a freak.

What about Blaze Pizza at Disney Springs? I heard good things about this one but haven't tried it yet.

You'll probably have one where you live soon, or something similar. They're everywhere. Its perfectly serviceable but not the best pizza you'll ever encounter. Sometimes above average pizza is just what you're in the mood for though:)

You'll probably have one where you live soon, or something similar. They're everywhere. Its perfectly serviceable but not the best pizza you'll ever encounter. Sometimes above average pizza is just what you're in the mood for though:)

It sounded like mod to me

If we stay at DHS we go to the Backlot Express. It has a/c and refillable drinks. (I assume it still has the drinks.)

I love Sci Fi's theming, but we can't eat there anymore, not unless they have fixed the darned camera. The last two times we went, the film was so out of focus that by the end of both times, my oldest daughter had to go to the ladies room to throw up, and I had a splitting headache for hours afterwards. Plus the food at the time was grossly overpriced. No theming is worth a $23 bowl of pasta smaller than a $2 frozen dinner from the grocery.

I love Sci Fi's theming, but we can't eat there anymore, not unless they have fixed the darned camera. The last two times we went, the film was so out of focus that by the end of both times, my oldest daughter had to go to the ladies room to throw up, and I had a splitting headache for hours afterwards. Plus the food at the time was grossly overpriced. No theming is worth a $23 bowl of pasta smaller than a $2 frozen dinner from the grocery.

The dining plan...

...what restaurant doesn't feature what you wrote now?

If it adds a ride and knocks out commissary...where do I sign up?

It would be big enough for a Winnie the Pooh ... at best.

First post so :welcome: to DISboards.

The dining plan...

...what restaurant doesn't feature what you wrote now?

We are on and off annual passholders, so I'm used to Disney restaurants. This was exceptionally tiny. Hopefully it's better now, since this was several years ago (the Osbourne lights were showing when we ate there last.)

I assume by dining plan you are recommending we try it? We're locals, and rarely stay at the hotels. When we do, it's only for two or three nights, so all our eating is out of pocket.

We are on and off annual passholders, so I'm used to Disney restaurants. This was exceptionally tiny. Hopefully it's better now, since this was several years ago (the Osbourne lights were showing when we ate there last.)

I assume by dining plan you are recommending we try it? We're locals, and rarely stay at the hotels. When we do, it's only for two or three nights, so all our eating is out of pocket.

No...the dining plan ruined the menus and the convenience of dining in wdw...lemmings ruined it and I despise them for it

There is no way they close as Sci-Fi, the most popular restaurant in the park, though with those permits just being filed for GMR I would not be surpised to see ABC go

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter