• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater or Hollywood and Vine

RRAR2007

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

We’re going to Disney December 4th-11th and have reservations to both Sci-Fi Dine-In and Hollywood and Vine. I’m trying to figure out which one we should keep. My wife, daughter, and I ate at Hollywood and Vine last year before it went back to buffet style and we’ve never been to Sci-Fi.

Now we’re a party of 4, including a 4 year old and 10 month old. We already have reservations for other character dinings, so I’m not sure which way to go on this one.

My 5 year old had nightmares about Sci-Fi for months after we went. She asks every time we walk past there to never go back. The movie they play is not kid appropriate at all.

I’d go to Brown Derby personally if you already have character meals.

I completely think sci-fi depends on the child. I went with the 3-year-old who loved it and wanted to go back immediately. I was watching it as an adult but I don't remember anything scary in it at all. I definitely thinks it depends on how sensitive your child is.
It is a series of black and white vignettes. Not a full movie and mostly about living in the future. I remember there would be a dishwasher in the middle of the table. You would just pop up and shove your dinner dishes in and your dishes would be done. You could smoke while wearing your space suit. It was pretty funny.

Some kids get freaked out by the movie Nightmare Before Christmas. Some kids are obsessed with it. I have one nephew who is terrified of the story of The gingerbread man and refused to go to bed. If the book was in his room. Every kid is different.

The 3-year-old I went to Sci-fi dine in with on the other hand, was alarmed by the sassy attitude of the wait staff at the '50s diner.

This trip we opted to try for the sci-fi dine in over the '50s because we just enjoy the experience more.

Sci Fi is quiet & dark. We like it so much, we go pretty much every trip. We think it’s a great place to get out of the heat & decompress, unlike the character buffets. The burgers are very good . When we went in May I had a pasta & salmon dish. It was so good, I got it again in September. OP, I would google Sci Fi dine in movie clips to help you decide if your child can handle them. Also know the cars have 2 or 3 rows of bench seats. Each row holds 2 people, so your family will be split up. Maybe you & daughter in 1 row & wife & baby in row behind, depending who’s on baby duty that meal. They do have high chairs that can sit next to the seat.

My 5 year old had nightmares about Sci-Fi for months after we went. She asks every time we walk past there to never go back. The movie they play is not kid appropriate at all.
I tend to agree. Although my "kids" are grown ups now, I still don't like it when they come out with the huge hypodermic needle.

Do big bugs or a guy in a gorilla suit wearing a space helmet scary your little kid? The film clips are trailers for low budget 50s Sci Fiction films. So if weird creatures, aliens, giant spiders etc would freak out kid. I would pass. H&V would have character in Christmas costumes then. So a little different

And yet the place is packed with kids all the time. I get your kid didn’t like it, but it’s fine for many kids. There are a lot of cartoon clips in there that many kids like too.

I completely think sci-fi depends on the child. I went with the 3-year-old who loved it and wanted to go back immediately. I was watching it as an adult but I don't remember anything scary in it at all. I definitely thinks it depends on how sensitive your child is.

Some kids get freaked out by the movie Nightmare Before Christmas. Some kids are obsessed with it. I have one nephew who is terrified of the story of The gingerbread man and refused to go to bed. If the book was in his room. Every kid is different.

The 3-year-old I went to Sci-fi dine in with on the other hand, was alarmed by the sassy attitude of the wait staff at the '50s diner.

I agree. Each kid is different. We’ve been going to Sci Fi since our first trip in 1993, almost every year & many years we’re at WDW multiple times. Now we’re a party of 2 & often seated as hitchhikers to families with kids. I’ve never seen a kid crying or upset by the movie. Many times how a kid reacts can be helped by how the parents respond. Just like when the storm troopers are harassing people in Galaxy’s Edge. You explain it’s make believe & people in costumes. Know your kid & plan accordingly.

Last edited:
We always enjoy Sci-Fi for late lunch/early dinner because it's dark, cook, and quiet .. great to relax. Not fine dining, but it is ok.

Sorry to hijack but I LOVE SciFi but my 2 girls (5/9) think it's scary -- sigh... Is Hollywood & Vine back to traditional buffet? WDW Menu shows family served entree whereas blogs/vids show buffet?

We ate lunch @ SciFi and would probably never go again. The other nearby restaurant was closed for remodeling and there aren't many other good choices in that area of the park. We were able to sit at one of the regular tables around the perimeter but would never want to sit in those cars where you are looking at the back of the heads of the others in your party. How do you have a conversation that way? The old movie clips won't mean anything to those under 50 yrs old since they would have no idea what TV show/movie they were from. Interior seemed old/dingy and in need or an update. Food was just very average and no idea why some think it is such a wonderful place to eat.

I love Sci Fi but my dd is scared of it. The atmosphere is so unique and the burgers are good. We went when she was really little and it didn't bother her but when she was around 5 we went back and she was scared and hasn't wanted to go since.
We recently watched some of the clips on YouTube and at 9 she still doesn't like them. Years ago they had a Star Wars meal there with Star Wars characters roaming and clips from the movie on the screen. It was awesome, wish they would bring that back.

I would go with Hollywood and Vine personally for those ages, the seasonal outfits are fun. We also like Mama Melrose, theme is fine but food is good and kid friendly. Not a fan of 50's Prime Time with young kids, food is just ok, and if your server isn't really in character it just comes across as mild rudeness which was confusing to the young kids in our party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter