Sci Fi Diner or Hollywood Brown Derby?

nikkita

Mouseketeer
We have an upcoming trip in October, and I am keen to try the Sci Fi Diner as I keep hearing good things about it.

My hubby was looking at the Hollywood Brown Derby last night, which i know is a bit more expensive/up market (which is funny coz normally he prefers more casual!), and I am keen to get your thoughts? :)

I’ve eaten at both and the quality is widely different.
Sci Fi the burgers for example used to be much better thicker cut style and last time we ate they were much thinner cheaper style. Overall not great but atmosphere and milk shakes are good. It’s obviously cheaper than Brown Derby and service was quick and friendly.
Brown Derby appetisers and Entree were lovely but we didn’t really care for the deserts which we tried the three small sample option and none of them were very nice. Service not very friendly or quick and tbh it’s a bit of a turn off as I’ve seen a number of reviews have been saying similar. That being said we did enjoy the food. It’s not a never go back but it’s not top of our list. If you want to try it I would aim for giving yourself enough time. We thought we had but missed the fireworks as it took so long.

As previous poster said it really comes down to what you’re more interested in. If you’re going for the better food that would be brown derby, better atmosphere and better cost sci fi hands down.

Very different experiences. Ultimately, Sci Fi is a place where I go if I'm more interested in a meal where the atmosphere is the big draw. The shakes and burgers at Sci Fi are good, but we've been mixed on everything else. On the flip side, HBD is more about the food and while the atmosphere is interesting, it's not the Disney wow you'll get with Sci Fi.

To me, Sci Fi is more of a lunch spot - burgers, sandwiches, salads on the menu. That's what they do best. HBD is more of a dinner place, with heartier entrée style meals. You can do either place for either meal, but that's just how I always picture them.

Personally, we think Sci Fi is one of the most uniquely themed restaurants on property. Its an experience you can only do at Disney. So that would be my vote.

You might look at the Brown Derby Lounge, to make the Brown Derby a little more casual. We also have a party of 7 though, which makes those cars at Sci-fi a little awkward for conversation.

Sci-Fi is my favorite place in HS to eat. As others have said its got great atmosphere. For some reason people tend to talk very quietly so it nice and air conditioned,dark and peaceful. I call it a CS impersonating a TS because of the burger heavy menu but I have found the food to be excellent and the girls love the onion rings and the milkshakes.

Everyone needs to do Sci Fi at least once, because it is absolutely and truly unique. Our kids always wanted to keep going back because of the fun of eating in the cars, but even adults will get a kick out of the 50s movie reel, especially if they have never seen it before. The food is OK, nothing to write home about, but of course that’s not why you’re going. HBD, on the other hand, is simply an upscale restaurant with good food (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

Last edited:
I agree with a previous post - HBD lounge might be a good middle ground for you. You can also order off both the lounge and the regular restaurants' menus. Setting is more casual and we love people-watching from the terrace. Great view of the Star Wars show too : )

We enjoy both. The food is very different at both, but done well. Atmosphere is also very different.
Often will do Sci Fi for lunch with the burgers and then Brown Derby for a slight later dinner.
Sci Fi is just fun. Sitting in a car at a "Drive-In", watching old bad movies. Doesn't get much better.
Brown Derby is more upscale.
Both can be very busy.

DEFINITELY Sci Fi - especially if you two haven't been!

For me atmosphere is everything, and the fact that Sci Fi can take you from busy Hollywood Studios and place you at a 1950s drive in theatre at twilight makes it a truly one-of-a-kind magical experience.

Just as everyone else has said above, the food is traditional American fare and therefore you'll be choosing from an array of burgers, sandwiches, meat plates and shakes (which are a must as they're the best in Disney!) Also, if you choose Sci Fi, you'll want to try and snag reservations if possible. Every time I've gone it was slam packed (and for obvious reasons.)

Hope y'all have a great trip!

Argh so many great points
I think I am leaning toward Sci fi at the moment. .. Hmmmm mmmm decisions
I think Sci fi might be harder to get an ADR at so migtt be easier to change to HBD later if needed ? Maybe?

Been to both multiple times. Prefer HBD for food, but also really like atmosphere...I usually make this a stop every visit to HS. Sci-Fi is more of an experience and I always consider it if I am with someone who has never been. Food is not so great IMHO. Also, if u are traveling with kids-- they will probably like Sci-Fi more for atmosphere and the food. Definitely has fun factor-- pure kitch.

I do not care for the food at Sci-Fi but the shakes are great. We will make an ADR and just go in for 20-30 minutes to enjoy the show and have a shake. You could have a meal at Brown Derby and then dessert later at Sci-Fi.

We have an upcoming trip in October, and I am keen to try the Sci Fi Diner as I keep hearing good things about it.

My hubby was looking at the Hollywood Brown Derby last night, which i know is a bit more expensive/up market (which is funny coz normally he prefers more casual!), and I am keen to get your thoughts? :)
Sci-Fi is on my list for folks as a 'must-try' and this has nothing to do with food, because the pub-grub food is nothing 'to write home about'…..

Brown Derby serves some pretty decent food, and despite wearing Park-clothes to your meal, this is considered to be something of a fine-dining (Signature) experience….but there is better food at Disney (BlueZoo and Shula's, for instance).

I think you should go with HBD as it is what your DH wants and the food is so much better.

Actually, HBD is nice for lunch. The menu is relatively similar (if not identical). You could go for a late lunch/early dinner. We used to love it and then had a couple of not great meals there (although I'm not sure that it's because it wasn't good but that I didn't like the menu options). We decided to try a late lunch there last time and had really good food and service so I'm inclined to keep it on our list.

Good news (and also bad news) is both are good. SciFi the food is always decent, not great, but the atmosphere makes up for that. We almost always get a day of or night before reservation as people do cancel and they have last minute openings.

After a previously bad experience at BrownDerby we tried the lounge on our last trip and really enjoyed it. We got there right at open (they don't take ADRs) and had no problem getting a seat. We ended up sharing a few appetizers from both the lounge and regular menu and enjoyed them all. Plus the outdoor dining was very enjoyable and great for people watching.

I really don’t care for HBD. Everything was awful last time we went especially for what we paid.

We love SciFi though. My daughter and I are taking a trip this summer and have a dinner ADR.

It’s not gonna wow you food wise, but it’s a fun dinner. It’s actually harder to get an ADR at SciFi than HBD these days. I’ve struggled getting anything early the past few years. Fortunately got a nice 6pm ADR this year. Definitely one of my faves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter