• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sci Fi or Hollywood & Vine for Lunch

TheOneWithTheTriplets

DIS Veteran
The closer my ADR date gets, the more I'm waffling on reservations. It's me, hubby, and three 5yo girls. The girls adore both characters and buffets. The adults don't love juggling buffet plates, but we do appreciate not having to have the "that's what you ordered, you can't change your mind once it comes," conversation which sometimes accompanies plated meals.

We're on the DDP, 10 days, 9 nights. Our other TS are Crystal Palace breakfast, CRT lunch, Bon Voyage breakfast, Askershus dinner, Garden Grill lunch, 'Ohana dinner, Tusker lunch. I'm not concerned about the "value" on the DDP for this meal. With 3 disney kids and so many AYCTE/character meals, we're coming out way ahead of OOP regardless of whether we do a cheap TS like Sci Fi or an expensive character meal as our last reservation.

So, for our HS day, H&V or Sci Fi? We already have a lot of character overlap with Tusker and GG, but Minnie would be unique to H&V. Sci Fi seems to be a very cool theme, but I'm not sure if the campy movie clips will be fun or scary for the girls in a darkened restaurant. We've got 2.5 other buffets over the course of the 10 days (counting Askershus as half with the hybrid set up), but since one is Tusker and the other is a breakfast, there wouldn't be much food overlap with H&V. I don't want to do Fantasmic on this day, so the ticket package isn't a factor. I know H&V generally has a bad rep, but it seems like some recent reviews of the lunch/dinner have been pretty positive.

What would you do? Help!

I haven't yet been to Hollywood and Vine, but have been to Sci Fi. I wasn't impressed with the food, but the theming was cool. My daughters weren't interested in the movies at all... found them 'boring'. If it were me, I'd go with Hollywood and vine.

I did Sci Fi on my last trip and wasn't impressed (partly due to sub par service) and partly due to a not so good meal. The theming was cool but that's about it. And it was just me and 1 other adult- Have you thought about the set up of how the cars would be for 2 adults and 3 young kids? With 2 people it was fine, but 3 people in a car might be hard to fit/juggle all the food and then you can't face the people in the other row, if that is an issue. I'm trying Hollywood and vine on my next trip and it looks like I'll be there near the same time as you- They have a fun film/red carpet theme going on for Minnies Seasonal dine at that time where all the characters are dressed up for a movie premiere. I read about all the bad food reviews there but I've also heard from people that it's improved a lot as of lately, and as a picky eater I like buffets so I'm looking forward to it.

I did Sci Fi on my last trip and wasn't impressed (partly due to sub par service) and partly due to a not so good meal. The theming was cool but that's about it. And it was just me and 1 other adult- Have you thought about the set up of how the cars would be for 2 adults and 3 young kids? With 2 people it was fine, but 3 people in a car might be hard to fit/juggle all the food and then you can't face the people in the other row, if that is an issue. I'm trying Hollywood and vine on my next trip and it looks like I'll be there near the same time as you- They have a fun film/red carpet theme going on for Minnies Seasonal dine at that time where all the characters are dressed up for a movie premiere. I read about all the bad food reviews there but I've also heard from people that it's improved a lot as of lately, and as a picky eater I like buffets so I'm looking forward to it.

My girls tend to prefer to be together, even a bit squished. On benches, in beds, it really doesn't matter. My guess would be that the three of them would want to sit together across the front row and, since they'd all be ordering kids meals, the plates should fit, right? It's 3 kids under 40lb each who often can comfortably squish into only two adult seats on a subway/train car.

Without kids, my vote would be Sci Fi.
Based on what you wrote about your girls love characters and buffets, would make it pretty easy, H & V.
At 5, our kids were not interested in the movies at Sci Fi, they were as they got older.

Without kids, my vote would be Sci Fi.

That's my exact problem. If I were just deciding for the kids, it's H&V. Just for the parents, it's Sci Fi. I guess I'm trying to balance whether it's worth possibly picking my choice on this one, since I've picked their choice for pretty much everything else. They get princesses and characters at a whole lot of meals already. Then again, if they're really not enjoying a meal, then I'll hear about it the whole time, so it's not like I can enjoy mine either.

That's my exact problem. If I were just deciding for the kids, it's H&V. Just for the parents, it's Sci Fi. I guess I'm trying to balance whether it's worth possibly picking my choice on this one, since I've picked their choice for pretty much everything else. They get princesses and characters at a whole lot of meals already. Then again, if they're really not enjoying a meal, then I'll hear about it the whole time, so it's not like I can enjoy mine either.

Since you have everything chosen for them, do this one for yourself. Be prepared that it's very dark, but a neat experience with juicy burgers and milkshakes. We have gone every trip starting on my niece's 7th birthday trip and still enjoy it. She made sure it was on the schedule for this trip, which is to celebrate her 21st. I have gone to Minnie's Seasonal (holiday and spring) twice for the characters and Fant! package, but the food was meh, not great. My group decided they did not want to go back.

The closer my ADR date gets, the more I'm waffling on reservations. It's me, hubby, and three 5yo girls. The girls adore both characters and buffets. The adults don't love juggling buffet plates, but we do appreciate not having to have the "that's what you ordered, you can't change your mind once it comes," conversation which sometimes accompanies plated meals.

We're on the DDP, 10 days, 9 nights. Our other TS are Crystal Palace breakfast, CRT lunch, Bon Voyage breakfast, Askershus dinner, Garden Grill lunch, 'Ohana dinner, Tusker lunch. I'm not concerned about the "value" on the DDP for this meal. With 3 disney kids and so many AYCTE/character meals, we're coming out way ahead of OOP regardless of whether we do a cheap TS like Sci Fi or an expensive character meal as our last reservation.

So, for our HS day, H&V or Sci Fi? We already have a lot of character overlap with Tusker and GG, but Minnie would be unique to H&V. Sci Fi seems to be a very cool theme, but I'm not sure if the campy movie clips will be fun or scary for the girls in a darkened restaurant. We've got 2.5 other buffets over the course of the 10 days (counting Askershus as half with the hybrid set up), but since one is Tusker and the other is a breakfast, there wouldn't be much food overlap with H&V. I don't want to do Fantasmic on this day, so the ticket package isn't a factor. I know H&V generally has a bad rep, but it seems like some recent reviews of the lunch/dinner have been pretty positive.

What would you do? Help!

Hollywood and Vine is my vote ... for the kids.
- do it while DDP pays for it, Sci Fi is not a good value on the DDP.
- do it while they are young and enjoy characters, Sci Fi is very very low key.
- at H&V it will be easy to assist at table, Sci Fi you would be apart, have to get up and down.
- Characters vs some old Sci Fi, some B&W films they likely won't get or maybe be scared.

Sci Fi if you want a quiet meal, apart from the kids ..
- you will sit on different benches.
- they can have their convos and you can have yours.
- darkness makes each seat feel personal.
- order it, get it delivered, eat it.
- keeps it simple.

Last edited:
Assuming this is not a once-in-a-lifetime trip, I would do H&V this time, and wait to do sci fi when the kids are a bit older. If you really don't want a buffet but want some fun themeing, you might also enjoy 50s prime time cafe. But I will say we have eaten twice recently at H&V (December and July last year) and it was very good--it's a must do for us. Great characters, a nice buffet and cute diner decor.

Sci Fi vibe was pretty cool but the food was just OK. Not terrible. Not Very good. Acceptable and worth what’s paid. Service can be slow but I did find the trailers playing pretty amusing. What’s more amazing was they are real movies.

Shakes were very good.

I actually thought it was to dark to eat. I wanted some more light.

Assuming this is not a once-in-a-lifetime trip, I would do H&V this time, and wait to do sci fi when the kids are a bit older. If you really don't want a buffet but want some fun themeing, you might also enjoy 50s prime time cafe. But I will say we have eaten twice recently at H&V (December and July last year) and it was very good--it's a must do for us. Great characters, a nice buffet and cute diner decor.

Not once in a lifetime, but only one for a while, and probably only one in the bubble. We'd wait until they're old enough to do the bigger rides at Universal, rent a car, stay off property, and do a WHOLE lot less expensive Disney dining. As I'm typing this, Sci Fi would seem better fitted to that trip.

You instinct is right on going with SciFi. I may be in the minority but we made the mistake of doing H&V one time with my daughter so she could see the Disney Jr gang and it was downright bad. Aside from the holiday Minne's buffet they do, I don't think I've ever seen a decent review of the place.

We started taking my daughter to SciFi when she was probably 3 or 4 and its one of her favorite places. Kids love the cars and she never found the movies remotely scary. I've also seen kids sitting 3 across so that wouldn't be an issue at all. Its definitely a unique Disney experience.

You instinct is right on going with SciFi. I may be in the minority but we made the mistake of doing H&V one time with my daughter so she could see the Disney Jr gang and it was downright bad. Aside from the holiday Minne's buffet they do, I don't think I've ever seen a decent review of the place.

We started taking my daughter to SciFi when she was probably 3 or 4 and its one of her favorite places. Kids love the cars and she never found the movies remotely scary. I've also seen kids sitting 3 across so that wouldn't be an issue at all. Its definitely a unique Disney experience.

OP said they would be doing the lunch/dinner, which is now the Minnie's character meal year-round. Only breakfast is still Disney JR.

I am laughing as I read these commnets because as an adult I actually like H&V for lunch/dinner. I like to start with very small portions of a lot of things and then go back for more of what I liked best. The meatballs were great when I went in June. And I always grab some food from the kids section.

Neither place has outstanding food. So that being said for the kids H&V for the parents Sci Fi. My rule of thumb is if my kid is happy, I am happy so I pick H&V. Also I am nervous my almost 4 yo will be a little scared at Sci-fi.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter