Scoop Sanderson leaving Main Street!!!!!

just heard that coming in early October (If not sooner) no longer will there be 'Scoop' on Mainstreet USA at Disney. He has always been there warmly welcoming guests to the park with his conversations and wit', back when pin trading first got popular he would hold pin seminars explaining all the types of pins in what is now "town square theater". Without street performers, Disney loses its magic and edge over second rated amusement parks. It's about the atmosphere and feeling that you really are in another world. The performers make you feel special when they make magic for you, it's like you are the most important person in the park. If he ever made you smile, laugh or just feel good - send Disney a letter, email or call. Please be kind in your emails and hopefully they will rethink this awful decision, letting them know you interaction experiences or memories and ask them to renew his contract he should be back on Mainstreet where he belongs . Please forward to any friends who love WDW and "Scoop" and PLEASE write or email Disney to save "SCOOP"

xp3jsy.jpg

there is also a petition to be sent to Walt Disney Co
https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-d...tm_source=petitions_share&utm_medium=copylink

quoted from his real life facebook page
You know that sudden empty feeling of sad disappointment when you discover Scoop is not on Main Street today? Get ready to feel it a lot more.

More often I mean. It will still be brief, disappearing the instant you encounter one of the other dazzling Citizens of Main Street USA. Or handsome Leading Man and Magic Kingdom Park Vice President Dan Cockerell. Or at the very least you shall be restored upon entering one of the six other magical themed lands of The Most Magical Place on Earth

You're gonna miss me!

And I you.

Last edited:
just heard that coming in early October (If not sooner) no longer will there be 'Scoop' on Mainstreet USA at Disney. He has always been there warmly welcoming guests to the park with his conversations and wit', back when pin trading first got popular he would hold pin seminars explaining all the types of pins in what is now "town square theater". Without street performers, Disney loses its magic and edge over second rated amusement parks. It's about the atmosphere and feeling that you really are in another world. The performers make you feel special when they make magic for you, it's like you are the most important person in the park. If he ever made you smile, laugh or just feel good - send Disney a letter, email or call. Please be kind in your emails and hopefully they will rethink this awful decision, letting them know you interaction experiences or memories and ask them to renew his contract he should be back on Mainstreet where he belongs . Please forward to any friends who love WDW and "Scoop" and PLEASE write or email Disney to save "SCOOP"

xp3jsy.jpg

there is also a petition to be sent to Walt Disney Co
https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-d...tm_source=petitions_share&utm_medium=copylink

quoted from his real life facebook page
You know that sudden empty feeling of sad disappointment when you discover Scoop is not on Main Street today? Get ready to feel it a lot more.

More often I mean. It will still be brief, disappearing the instant you encounter one of the other dazzling Citizens of Main Street USA. Or handsome Leading Man and Magic Kingdom Park Vice President Dan Cockerell. Or at the very least you shall be restored upon entering one of the six other magical themed lands of The Most Magical Place on Earth

You're gonna miss me!

And I you.

Thank you for this. I'll be sending out a letter tomorrow. :(

I'll be honest, I don't know the name, but he does look familiar to me. I'm sure I have probably seen him before and maybe he said, "hi", to my niece, but I don't recall any long interactions.

Regardless, I don't see why you would get rid of a "cast member" that has been there that long. Granted, he is a performer, and they are contracted, but that's what makes up Main Street U.S.A.!

Do we know why? Or is everyone just assuming Disney is cutting him to save a dollar. Maybe he is in poor health?

His contract was not renewed. Simple as that. The other Citizens of Main Street will still be there, just not our dear Scoop. Cutbacks stink!

That is a real shame, Linda. Sad news for sure. The cuts are getting to a point that makes the parks more and more blah.

Also hoping you are feeling better, Linda.

When we used to pin trade we would buy the mystery pin packs at the park to trade, spending around 3-3.50 per pin. The last few trips we have used eBay and bought pins for .50 per pin and none of that money going to Disney. While trading and talking to people 90% seemed to do the same. There is no money for Disney in that.
When we first started we also traded for much better pins, people actually traded pins that are bought individually. I rarely see this now. We spent 3 weeks in Disney this summer, traded 50-60 pins and only 2 were for pins that you would buy individually, not sure if there is a specific name for that.
Now the only pins I buy at Disney I buy to keep not to trade.

It does seem that WDW is discouraging Pin Trading these days. They did not renew the Limited Edition Park Pack Pin trading subscription box this year, yes the lanyard pins have been less available, and now cutting Scoop, the Main Street Pin Trading ambassador. We really enjoy Pin Trading and look forward to participating each trip. I know there has been a huge problem with fake pins and counterfeit pins that people buy off eBay. Those big lots that are sold for 50 cents per pin are fakes, and Disney has prosecuted some sellers and producers. However, as you describe, most people want a good deal so they buy a big lot for 50 cents per pin hoping to trade it for a pin someone ELSE paid $3.50+ for. The outcome is exactly as you stated, you traded for a bunch of cheap fakes, only finding 2 "good" pins, and Disney responds by phasing out trading.

As a previous poster pointed out, it's the little things that make Walt Disney World different and Scoop is a pretty big "little thing!" He creates magic one guest at a time, one moment at a time! When someone makes you feel that special, THAT's what you remember- Not the QS lunch you grabbed between rides, or standing in another queue. Scoop is really great with kids and adults alike. Trading Pins with Scoop was definitely a memorable part of our visit. He will be missed very much.

Apparently Scoop hasn't been pin trading in a few months. Maybe Disney wants to phase it out.

The language "his contract was not renewed" indicates that Disney is the one choosing to let him go. Might also be telling that he is apparently the only Citizen whose contract wasn't renewed so it could be they are targeting the pin trading aspect. If that's the case, at some point most if not all CMs will probably stop pin trading.

A Change.org petition probably won't help (hasn't helped the other performers whose contracts were ended in the past few years), and I wouldn't expect them to reverse their decision on his contract, at least not during this contractual period. If you want to support the performer I'd consider dropping Disney a line, but don't expect to get anything back.

It is so sad. We look forward to seeing Scoop on every visit. He makes everyone feel so special. I am glad we are going next week so we can see him one more time on Main Street.
I know the entertainers are not direct revenue generators but they are part of what makes Walt Disney World seem so special.
I can get thrill rides and cheesy shows at a local Six Flags. What I can't get at a local amusement park is that personal touch --Scoop and other cast members who make guests feel special and a part of the magic.
We have been to Disney World 20+ times. We go at least once and year and some years 2-3 times. It is a big investment of our time and money. I don't like the direction the management is heading. Our trips are already booked for this year but next year we will be looking elsewhere to vacation.

Is the bit about the "Leading Man and MK Park Vice President" a shot at management? Or is that really someone you would run into on Main Street?

I have never seen Dan Cockerell on Main Street. He is a suit--if you want to complain about the contract not being renewed, you address the letter to him.
Scoop said he was just trying to make light of situation with that comment--not really a shot.

I know the entertainers are not direct revenue generators but they are part of what makes Walt Disney World seem so special.
I can get thrill rides and cheesy shows at a local Six Flags. What I can't get at a local amusement park is that personal touch --Scoop and other cast members who make guests feel special and a part of the magic.

I agree. Who will be cut next? The Pianist at Casey's Corner? Dapper Dans? It is so sad.

It seems that those in charge are losing sight of what made Disney so magical to begin with. Cool rides are nice. But it's the Disney "magic" made possible through its cast members that really helped set it apart. There are so many little things that have gone away that including Push, the talking trash can, or the removal of many favorite things like the Osborne family lights, ending the paint brush savenger hunt on Tom Sawyer island, closure of Innoventions (overall loss of identity for Epcot really), etc. I still love Dinsey but these things are starting to add up.

We met him once in our several trips, it was December 2014, and he was very rude to my son who politely walked up a(fter just seeing him trade with another boy) and asked if he could please look at his pins. He rudely said "No! I am not trading any more today!" and kind of shooed us away. It left a very bad taste in our mouth being the first time we'd ever met this character so many speak so highly of. If he kept on treating people the way he did my son, I'm not surprised his contract wasn't renewed.

I don't know who this is, but it's always sad to those affected when a favorite cast member leaves. I have no knowledge of what a contract negotiation of this sort looks like, though there is always more at play than what is publicly known. We can't just assume that Disney's always "cutting back" as if that's all Disney does (people have repeated this for decades) and that it's the only factor in a decision. By that same token, we can't assume that any single employee isn't expendable and has much leverage when negotiating terms.

Edit: just found this interesting post about him from the official Disney Parks blog!
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/09/wheres-scoop/

I doubt they will discourage pin trading. That is a cash cow. They sell 25¢ pins for 10-15 dollars. I personally have probably $1000 worth of pins.

I really try not to assume anything about letting people go. We don't know the full story. Maybe he's been missing a lot of work. Maybe he's been in poor health. Maybe he's demanding more money. Who knows. If they kept all the other citizens maybe there's an issue with this particular citizen.

Dapper Dans, there are more of them, more payroll.

"We're gonna get rid of one of you guys to save some money"
"We're a Barbershop Quartet!"
"Yes yes... but you can be a quartet with just three people"
"No I don't think you understand how this works! For proper harmonization of music you need..."
"Fine fine, you're just a Barbershop Triplet now, people still see the act we save money... everyone's happy!"

Don't remember him at all (in over a dozen trips) but sorry for those of you who will miss him!

I have never seen Dan Cockerell on Main Street. He is a suit--if you want to complain about the contract not being renewed, you address the letter to him.
Scoop said he was just trying to make light of situation with that comment--not really a shot.

If the name Dan C. is a real person, it's a jerk move for him to write that IMO.

I don't know who this is, but it's always sad to those affected when a favorite cast member leaves. I have no knowledge of what a contract negotiation of this sort looks like, though there is always more at play than what is publicly known. We can't just assume that Disney's always "cutting back" as if that's all Disney does (people have repeated this for decades) and that it's the only factor in a decision. By that same token, we can't assume that any single employee isn't expendable and has much leverage when negotiating terms.

Edit: just found this interesting post about him from the official Disney Parks blog!
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/09/wheres-scoop/

Maybe he isn't a jerk if the Disney blog wrote such a nice post on him. :) IDK because I didn't know either of these Disney employees existed before reading this thread.

I doubt they will discourage pin trading. That is a cash cow. They sell 25¢ pins for 10-15 dollars. I personally have probably $1000 worth of pins.

I really try not to assume anything about letting people go. We don't know the full story. Maybe he's been missing a lot of work. Maybe he's been in poor health. Maybe he's demanding more money. Who knows. If they kept all the other citizens maybe there's an issue with this particular citizen.

Right? I can't believe Disney isn't making plenty enough profit on selling pins to support the wages of a guy like Scoop.

We met him once in our several trips, it was December 2014, and he was very rude to my son who politely walked up a(fter just seeing him trade with another boy) and asked if he could please look at his pins. He rudely said "No! I am not trading any more today!" and kind of shooed us away. It left a very bad taste in our mouth being the first time we'd ever met this character so many speak so highly of. If he kept on treating people the way he did my son, I'm not surprised his contract wasn't renewed.
I've meet him several times on Main Street and at the Epcot pin trading events. I've had some encounters with him that, let's just say, weren't that great. I know people love him - but, not my cup of tea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter