Scooter folk… who hates the new monorail procedures?

Debbie Jean

DIS Veteran
… that require you to back up the ramp to board? CM told me this was instituted 2 months ago. I never had any issues backing out and don’t know why they changed it. For me backing UP the ramp is so much more difficult!

Anyone else????

Wait, WHAT?! Don’t they know it’s MORE DANGEROUS to BACK UP ONTO a ramp? The only reason that you would have to BACK UP on a ramp is when you GET OFF at CERTAIN STATIONS.

Are they gonna institute the same policy for POWERCHAIR DRIVERS? (Since most people think scooters and powerchairs are the same thing, which they most certainly ARE NOT.)

Great, new nightmare unlocked…

Yup. Awful. Can’t figure out who thought this was a good idea… certainly no one in a chair! Why the change? What was the problem with the old way where you pulled in up the ramp? I was staying at GF and normally love riding the monorail… well not this time! The first time it happened I thought it was a fluke… but no! Getting to Epcot and back was a nightmare.

I’m hoping if enough people complain they’ll switch back.

Yeah, every time I have to back out, I fear that my scooter/powerch will tip over.

At least the ramp has bumpers on the sides. Could you imagine if THEY DIDN’T?

… that require you to back up the ramp to board? CM told me this was instituted 2 months ago. I never had any issues backing out and don’t know why they changed it. For me backing UP the ramp is so much more difficult!

Anyone else????
I had read the reason for the change was that several ECVs had tipped over backwards going up the ramp into the monorail recently.
The issue with ECVs going forward up ramps is the weight distribution. Most of the weight is in the back of the ECV and up high (the wheels and motor weighs relatively little compared to the weight of the passenger). That can make tipping backward when going up a ramp easier and is apparently what happened that led to the change.

I never experienced the feeling of tipping backwards whenever going up those ramps. It’s MUCH SCARIER when you’re GOING in REVERSE

I had read the reason for the change was that several ECVs had tipped over backwards going up the ramp into the monorail recently.
The issue with ECVs going forward up ramps is the weight distribution. Most of the weight is in the back of the ECV and up high (the wheels and motor weighs relatively little compared to the weight of the passenger). That can make tipping backward when going up a ramp easier and is apparently what happened that led to the change.
Thanks for the explanation, Sue. I guess that makes sense.

I found it very very hard to do. I’m booked at the GF in December again and definitely not looking forward to it.

Wait, WHAT?! Don’t they know it’s MORE DANGEROUS to BACK UP ONTO a ramp? The only reason that you would have to BACK UP on a ramp is when you GET OFF at CERTAIN STATIONS.

Are they gonna institute the same policy for POWERCHAIR DRIVERS? (Since most people think scooters and powerchairs are the same thing, which they most certainly ARE NOT.)

Great, new nightmare unlocked…
It’s maybe more difficult, but not more dangerous. As I mentioned in my other post, the reason I heard for the change was several accidents with people driving ECVs up the ramps tipping backwards because of the weight distribution.

I don’t agree with the statement that most people think ECVs and power wheelchairs are the same. Most power wheelchairs don’t have weight distribution issue as ECVs have because the weight of the chair without the driver is much heavier.
Some of the very lightweight folding power wheelchairs might have a similar weight distribution to ECVs.

Thanks for the explanation, Sue. I guess that makes sense.

I found it very very hard to do. I’m booked at the GF in December again and definitely not looking forward to it.
This GIF of Mater tipping tractors in Cars illustrates the principle - even though it’s a flat surface, not a ramp. The back is higher and heavier than the front, things can tip especially if the speed is too high.
Tractor tipping

I sympathize with how difficult it can be - it’s hard to back up period. It’s a real pain to back my daughter‘s power chair. Unlike ECVs, the drive wheels are in the front and the rear casters rotate freely. Backing it can feel like the casters have a mind of their own

This GIF of Mater tipping tractors in Cars illustrates the principle - even though it’s a flat surface, not a ramp. The back is higher and heavier than the front, things can tip especially if the speed is too high.
Tractor tipping
Can we PLEASE have the ability to add GIFS in the forums?
I sympathize with how difficult it can be - it’s hard to back up period. It’s a real pain to back my daughter‘s power chair. Unlike ECVs, the drive wheels are in the front and the rear casters rotate freely. Backing it can feel like the casters have a mind of their own
Yeah, that’s what scares me with front wheel drive. And if those casters catch onto the sides, who knows what’ll happen.

I wonder if the monorail manufacturer companies have designed a new monorail to create better design
It could be a tax write-off for Disney plus one thing I would be willing to pay a price increase for

Will the CM help in getting you lined up like on the bus? My DH takes 6-8 times back and forth parking on bus. About 1/2 the time the bus driver takes over after the 4th time. For him, making the turn and then trying to line up on the ramp and not hit anyone while doing all that will take so much more time.

Might be fine for someone who uses an EVC a lot, but for those who are jittery using them a week a year.........

Will the CM help in getting you lined up like on the bus? My DH takes 6-8 times back and forth parking on bus. About 1/2 the time the bus driver takes over after the 4th time. For him, making the turn and then trying to line up on the ramp and not hit anyone while doing all that will take so much more time.

Might be fine for someone who uses an EVC a lot, but for those who are jittery using them a week a year.........
The CM gave directions “you’re not lined up, you’re pulling to the right, etc.” but did not offer to help. Took me 3 shots at it. The hardest part is getting the scooter in line and then backing up straight in… and you’re going uphill so while you don’t want to go fast, you have to give it more than turtle speed to make the incline. Never had an issue backing off the monorail since it’s easy to pull in with wheels straight. Also entering driving up the ramp I never had the slightest sense I might tip over… but I guess studies show it can happen.

BTW, I have no issues parking on the bus… usually make it on my first shot… so not my first rodeo.

Staying at the GF, I can use the walking path to MK… but next time I go to Epcot, I’ll take the bus to HS and the Skyliner to the back entrance.

The CM gave directions “you’re not lined up, you’re pulling to the right, etc.” but did not offer to help. Took me 3 shots at it. The hardest part is getting the scooter in line and then backing up straight in… and you’re going uphill so while you don’t want to go fast, you have to give it more than turtle speed to make the incline. Never had an issue backing off the monorail since it’s easy to pull in with wheels straight. Also entering driving up the ramp I never had the slightest sense I might tip over… but I guess studies show it can happen.

BTW, I have no issues parking on the bus… usually make it on my first shot… so not my first rodeo.

Staying at the GF, I can use the walking path to MK… but next time I go to Epcot, I’ll take the bus to HS and the Skyliner to the back entrance.
Or get a minnie van.

Back in 2018, a guest boarding the monorail at GF while on an ECV hit the doors on the opposite side, causing the door to come off. If that could happen going forward, I hate to think what could happen going in reverse. Also, how safe is it going to be for people already on board to have someone backing in who can’t see them? I understand where they are coming from with the tipping over issue, but this procedure sounds like it could have repercussions all its own.

Maybe they should have redesigned the ramps instead, so the incline wasn’t as steep . . .

Back in 2018, a guest boarding the monorail at GF while on an ECV hit the doors on the opposite side, causing the door to come off. If that could happen going forward, I hate to think what could happen going in reverse. Also, how safe is it going to be for people already on board to have someone backing in who can’t see them? I understand where they are coming from with the tipping over issue, but this procedure sounds like it could have repercussions all its own.

Maybe they should have redesigned the ramps instead, so the incline wasn’t as steep . . .
Or have built-in ramps so that they don’t have to load each mobility device 1 or 2 (or however many CM’s they have on ramp duty) at a time bef they run over to the next person.

What about the fact that to get on the monorail outside MK, if I remember right, you go up a hill? Are they going to make ECVs start going backwards there too?
Yup. Awful. Can’t figure out who thought this was a good idea… certainly no one in a chair! Why the change? What was the problem with the old way where you pulled in up the ramp? I was staying at GF and normally love riding the monorail… well not this time! The first time it happened I thought it was a fluke… but no! Getting to Epcot and back was a nightmare.

I’m hoping if enough people complain they’ll switch back.
I never thought that going up the ramp forwards was a steep enough incline as to be a danger of flipping over. Never had a problem, but I don't look forward to going up the ramp backwards. Definitely harder.

What about the fact that to get on the monorail outside MK, if I remember right, you go up a hill? Are they going to make ECVs start going backwards there too?

I never thought that going up the ramp forwards was a steep enough incline as to be a danger of flipping over. Never had a problem, but I don't look forward to going up the ramp backwards. Definitely harder.

Hadn’t thought of that! How about the steep incline up to the Land Pavilion in Epcot?

Maybe I’m overthinking this but it seems to me that the only way that weight in the back would cause a scooter to flip on the ramp would be with an extremely heavy person sitting in the seat. I certainly don’t mean that as a judgement but it would take a lot of weight in addition to the batteries and seat to flip. Maybe more weight if there is a rear basket that is loaded with stuff.

There was a guy on an ECV on the boat from DS to OKW. They had him exit the boat in reverse on the ramp since the boat did not have room for him to turn around. He severely tipped backward and nearly ended up in the water. Rather than leaning forward as he went down the ramp, he was looking back to see where he was going and that put all his weight at the back of the ECV. It was super scary. CMs and other guests help catch him so he didn’t go into the water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter