• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Scooter rental for a cruise

Disneyfn420

DIS Veteran
I posted on the cruise area but didn't get much response. Many of the google searches I found were old. Can anyone recommend a scooter company that delivers to Port Canaveral. My mom uses BP Mobility when we go to WDW but they do not go to the Port.
I found Special Services at Sea and Walker Mobility but read mixed reviews from both, but they were also pretty old.

The vendors I know that deliver to Port Canaveral were mentioned in your other post.

• Brevard Medical is local to the coast area and offers a broad range of medical equipment needs.
  • Walkers is a popular vendor for WDW vacations who recently branched out to serving the Port Canaveral terminals as well.
  • Special Needs at Sea is a nationwide (actually international) vendor servicing many ports in the U.S. and abroad.

I have read good reviews of all of these. Keep in mind that any vendor can have an unhappy customer, and unhappy customers are much more likely to post to an online forum than all the hundreds of happy customers.

• A poster on the cruise forum also mentioned Scootaround, which is another nationwide/international vendor.

I'm not aware of any other vendors who deliver to the port terminal. Most of the WDW vendors only service the Orlando area and don't deliver to the port.

Enjoy your cruise!

I posted on the cruise area but didn't get much response. Many of the google searches I found were old. Can anyone recommend a scooter company that delivers to Port Canaveral. My mom uses BP Mobility when we go to WDW but they do not go to the Port.
I found Special Services at Sea and Walker Mobility but read mixed reviews from both, but they were also pretty old.

special needs at sea is one4 of only 2 companies that are allowed access to the piers and ships. the scooters are delivered directly to your cabin, and if you use WC boarding you get dropped off in a public location( especially on those lines that the cabins are not accessible right away) and have to make your own way to the cabin to get your scooter.

otherwise she will need to have it delivered the hotel you are staying at ( assumption here) and then she can have it immediately/through the security line at the terminal.

I haven't actually rented from any of them, but all 4 of the vendors I listed indicate they rent for DCL cruises with delivery to Port Canaveral. @Mrsjvb are you saying that 2 of these vendors do not actually deliver to the port/ship as their websites imply?

Depending on a person's needs, it may be better/easier to receive the rental ahead of time. There are limited services available at the Port terminal for boarding, and I've read very mixed reviews about how DCL handles such requests for accommodation.

I would also be aware of the size of scooter you are renting for the cruise. Some of the hallways and doors are not as wide as they are in WDW. Plus the doors are very heavy. I would hate to rent a scooter and be going down the looong hallway and take up the majority of it so someone could not pass.

On DCL, the doorways into most staterooms are too narrow for most ECVs and even wheelchairs. Assuming the person is able to walk into/around the stateroom, a manual wheelchair can be folded to bring into the room. Hallways are too narrow to park an ECV outside the room, so DCL has designated ECV parking areas; location depends on the ship but be aware it may not be on the same deck as your stateroom.

HA rooms on DCL have doorways wide enough to fit mobility devices and space in the room for parking it.

Enjoy your cruise!

I haven't actually rented from any of them, but all 4 of the vendors I listed indicate they rent for DCL cruises with delivery to Port Canaveral. @Mrsjvb are you saying that 2 of these vendors do not actually deliver to the port/ship as their websites imply?

Depending on a person's needs, it may be better/easier to receive the rental ahead of time. There are limited services available at the Port terminal for boarding, and I've read very mixed reviews about how DCL handles such requests for accommodation.

the ports only allow the two (SNAS and the other one whose name escapes me ATM... care vacations maybe?) get on to the pier and load the DME directly on to the ship. but again, you don't actually have access to it until after you board. and for many that is a problem, even using wheelchair boarding assistance. that doesn't come into play until after you go through the initial security line. it is also first come first served and the wait to board can be very long.

many lines also now require you to book a HA cabin if you have one( they may NOT be left in the hallways ever.) our Disney magic cruise several years ago they had a place by the elevators you could plug them in, but they were not secured at all. if the ECV breaks down easily, then you will be doing that every. single. time. you enter a standard cabin. my most recent one was Royal, but I am thankfully no longer dependent on my wheelchair for cruises. the Junior suites can typically fit a standard ECV without too much trouble and still have room in the cabin to turn around. standard balconies you pretty much have to lose the coffee table at minimum.

We sailed on the Wonder with my son in a wheelchair. The elevators on that ship are really small. We saw other people with scooters having a very difficult time getting themselves on the elevators. Hallways were also much narrower than what we were used to on other cruise lines. It was not a good experience with a folding wheelchair so I can't imagine it would be any better than a scooter.

We have used Special Needs at Sea which delivers right to the cabin. We have used Walker and had
it delivered to our pre-cruise hotel, weather it was the Hyatt at the airport or a Disney Hotel (ASMo).
Dh likes the option of having the ecv on the bus with us as we get off the dcl bus. That way he can drive the ECV from
the bus lot thru check-in and up to the cabin. If you use SNAS you will have to use a DCL wheelchair to get to the cabin.
What I did is leave DH in the hallway and go get the ECV myself before the ropes are dropped.
We were fine with either rental. Getting on and off the elevator is another story. We had an accessible cabin aft
and used the aft or forward elevators. The midship elevtors were too busy...and sometimes you have to go up
to go down or vice versa. Have fun.

special needs at sea is one4 of only 2 companies that are allowed access to the piers and ships. the scooters are delivered directly to your cabin, and if you use WC boarding you get dropped off in a public location( especially on those lines that the cabins are not accessible right away) and have to make your own way to the cabin to get your scooter.

otherwise she will need to have it delivered the hotel you are staying at ( assumption here) and then she can have it immediately/through the security line at the terminal.
this isn't accurate. I just rented a scooter for our upcoming cruise and spoke to all of the companies listed. We ended up going with Walker, but all of them deliver directly to the ship. John from Walker Mobility said my scooter will be waiting for me in the deck 2 charging area by noon.

FYI: Prices vary wildly between these companies for the same equipment. Special needs at sea wanted over $400 for what I got from Walker for $175.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter