Scooter Rental/Usage at Disney World Questions

AnnaKristoff2013

DIS Veteran
My family and I are AP holders and go to WDW all the time. We have a trip coming up in April where my elderly uncle will be joining us. He can walk short distances, but has trouble walking long distances. We're staying offsite at bonnet creek and will be using my personal vehicle to travel to and from the parks so an offsite scooter is out because my minivan cannot accommodate that. He's just planning on coming with us to two parks on two days, Epcot on April 1st, and Animal Kingdom on April 2nd. We likely wouldn't get to either park until late morning or early afternoon. Can anyone help with the following questions:

1. How likely are these things to sell out? I know that's a busy week, but we're not doing MK with him. If it sells out it won't be the end of the world I guess, but we would likely be limited to just walking around a very small area of future world and my uncle would likely need to duck out early;
2. Assuming we can get one, how does scooter parking work? I've used a stroller with my children in the past, is it the same? We're planning on visiting the land pavilion, the seas pavilion, etc. Do we just park the scooter near where the strollers go or can he actually take the scooter into the pavilions? (The walk from the stroller parking to the entrance of the land might be particularly tricky since it's on an upward incline). If he can take it into the pavilion, can it be parked in the pavilion somewhere to go on attractions? If he feels up to walking into the pavilions (even if he's allowed to bring the scooter in), can we leave the scooter at stroller parking, or are they parked in a separate area?

Thanks in advance!

You can bring the scooter in the pavilion and I would tell him too as there can be a lot of walking. They may sell out by the time you get to the park. They do have wheelchair that you can ret too. Might be a good back up

Sorry, but I think it's highly likely ECVs will be sold-out by the time you arrive at the park. Manual wheelchairs should be available, assuming you have a pusher. That would probably be a better option than making him walk.

Have you looked into portable scooters? There are ones that break-down into ~5 parts and should fit in a minivan.

Yes, he can take the ECV into the pavilion buildings. I recommend he keep it with him in queues, but yes it can be parked if he really wants to walk. If the queue gets stopped or is longer than expected, he won't have any option to sit without the ECV.

I think most of the popular vendors have them. Gold Mobility has a 7-day minimum price (even if rented for 2-3-4 days) so I would skip them. Other vendors often mentioned on this forum include:
  • ScooterBug -- this is the only vendor allowed to utilize Bell Services at WDW resorts
  • Buena Vista Scooters -- there's a link near the top of this forum
  • Walker Mobility
  • Randy's Mobility
  • Orlando Medical Rentals
  • Apple Scooters
  • and a Google search will bring up others

If you are staying at an onsite resort the vendor will arrange to meet you in person for delivery/return unless using ScooterBug. If you are staying at an offsite hotel, most allow the ECV vendors to use Bell Services. If you are staying at a house rental, you'll need to confirm with the vendor how they handle that.

I've been researching fitting a scooter in a mini van for my trip in April. Supposedly you can fit a portable scooter in a mini van although I've been advised you probably need to put a section of the back seat down. I think what I am going to do is pick a rental place and go there on our first day to see if we can make one fit. I called gold mobility and they said one can fit but you might have to put the seat of the scooter in the gap between the middle seats in the van. I feel like that is kinda crazy. I really think it probably depends on the individual vehicle. If it does we will rent one. If not we will have to try and get one at the parks but that makes me nervous. You guys are going the day we fly home. If you would like I will try and post how successful we are. Also be aware of how heavy the pieces are. I won't be able to do it myself but my men folk will be able to handle it.

I think most of the popular vendors have them. Gold Mobility has a 7-day minimum price (even if rented for 2-3-4 days) so I would skip them. Other vendors often mentioned on this forum include:
  • ScooterBug -- this is the only vendor allowed to utilize Bell Services at WDW resorts
  • Buena Vista Scooters -- there's a link near the top of this forum
  • Walker Mobility
  • Randy's Mobility
  • Orlando Medical Rentals
  • Apple Scooters
  • and a Google search will bring up others

If you are staying at an onsite resort the vendor will arrange to meet you in person for delivery/return unless using ScooterBug. If you are staying at an offsite hotel, most allow the ECV vendors to use Bell Services. If you are staying at a house rental, you'll need to confirm with the vendor how they handle that.
Definitely compare the price of Gold Mobility to the same equipment for fewer days from other vendors though, often you will find their 7 day price is about the same as 3 or 4 days from other vendors when you add in the damage and theft waiver and the Captains chair, fan, cup holder and cell phone holder if the other vendor offers them and they really do make a difference. Not saying it will work best for your trip, just to not ignore them and also keep in mind that some vendors over on their scooters, Gold Mobility does not.

If are worried about space - even if you get a portable scooter - DO NOT OPT FOR THE BIG CAPTAINS CHAIR - it’s huge - get the std seat with fold down arms instead - also no sunshade…

Thanks everyone for the info. I think I'm going to be facing a couple of problems here, after looking at some of those portable scooters:
1. Looks like the weight limit is 300 pounds. I suspect he might be over that;
2. While I have a minivan, I have a family of 4 plus him and his wife, so I don't think putting one of the seats down is going to work; and
2. My uncle is stubborn. It was a lot just to get him to agree to "consider" renting a scooter from the front of the park for this trip. He came with us to DHS one day last year and the poor guy made it to the Beauty and the Beast show with us before he told us that he'd just hang out on one of the benches there for a few hours while my family and his wife went on attractions. I think I'm going to chance it with the scooter at the front of the park and then try to talk him into a wheelchair if one isn't available, but not sure he'll agree to that.

I will look into the Bonnet Creek shuttle idea though. Maybe that will work and we can rent one of the larger scooters.

I just want to address the topic of the scooter and the Land (you've gotten some great tips otherwise). He can ride his scooter into the Land building. Lots of people leave their scooters along the railing straight ahead after you enter the building. But what I didn't realize at first is that he can still stay on his scooter and go downstairs on one of the two elevators on the left. THEN he can STILL stay on his scooter going through the "Soarin" line, which is a long line with elevations, twists and turns. The first time I had a scooter, I thought that all scooters had to be left at the railing when you first enter the building. It's his choice, but at least he has it for the hill getting into the building.

I just want to address the topic of the scooter and the Land (you've gotten some great tips otherwise). He can ride his scooter into the Land building. Lots of people leave their scooters along the railing straight ahead after you enter the building. But what I didn't realize at first is that he can still stay on his scooter and go downstairs on one of the two elevators on the left. THEN he can STILL stay on his scooter going through the "Soarin" line, which is a long line with elevations, twists and turns. The first time I had a scooter, I thought that all scooters had to be left at the railing when you first enter the building. It's his choice, but at least he has it for the hill getting into the building.
This is really useful, thank you. Yes, Soarin is one of the queue's I was worried about. We're going to be using genie+, but even with a fastpass that's one that, in my experience, can require a lot of standing. The land I was less worried because i've never waited more than 5 minutes with a lightning lane there. Honestly if we can't get a scooter we may just spend the afternoon with him in that one pavilion. I've got Garden Grill reservations, and I figure between Living with the Land, Soarin, and the movie, we can make a nice day of it with him with lots of rest breaks within the pavilion.

Sounds like you’ve got a plan now but just wanted to mention that we rented a portable scooter for my grandfather years ago. We were a part of 6 and rented a Toyota sienna mini van that trip as we were offsite at a VRBO. We could easily put the scooter in the back of the van and still have the 3rd row up. It was a godsend for our MK day since the hike to the ferry/monorail would’ve been to far for him, even with his handicapped placard. Hope all works out for your trip!

Sounds like you’ve got a plan now but just wanted to mention that we rented a portable scooter for my grandfather years ago. We were a part of 6 and rented a Toyota sienna mini van that trip as we were offsite at a VRBO. We could easily put the scooter in the back of the van and still have the 3rd row up. It was a godsend for our MK day since the hike to the ferry/monorail would’ve been to far for him, even with his handicapped placard. Hope all works out for your trip!
That's interesting. I have a Sienna as well. Aren't the ECV's really heavy though? How did you get it in? I have a bad back.

That's interesting. I have a Sienna as well. Aren't the ECV's really heavy though? How did you get it in? I have a bad back.
I think the base weighed between 50-60lbs. We pulled the chair part off, folded the handle bars down, and my DH and my mom/myself loaded it. We then placed the chair on top. We’ve also done a petable scooter more recently with a suburban and my teenage sons. could lift it independently.

One last thing to consider: If your family member is in excess of 300 pounds, a Parks-rental wheelchair will most likely be quite uncomfortable for them. It will also be difficult to push, although it sounds like you might have some helpers with you.

The Parks rent out the most basic wheelchairs; the seats are a “sling” style, so after someone sits in it for a while, gravity and physics work to make everything sag to the center. It can actually be quite painful for people who have (for example) a bad back or hip issues.

If you decide to rent the wheelchair as a back up, maybe bring along a good quality wheelchair seat cushion so that your family member is as comfortable as possible. And be ready to be surprised - WDW has lots more little hill and inclines that you realize until you are pushing a chair!

I have used a park scooter the last two trips, and I am highly doubtful any scooters will be available late morning. (My family Ubers quite a bit, and I don’t need the scooter outside the parks; hence the in-park rental). I get there right before early entry and have no problems. If you can’t do an offsite rental, then I’d start setting the expectation that you’ll likely need to get a wheelchair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter