Scooter Tips?

I rented a scooter for the first time over Spring Break this year. I carefully read mamabunny's advice and instructions and ended up having a great time. The scooter was fun. Nothing about it was difficult. Getting on/off monorail, bus, skyliner was easy. Not one person made fun of me or even looked at me twice. (If they did, I'd ignore them, because I don't acknowledge ignorant people). My teen/20's daughters felt relieved that they weren't having to worry about my health or my ability to walk significant distances and stand for long periods of time. They did not have literally drag me back to the resort at night. Their trips were improved by my use of the scooter. I rented a scooter again when I went in June, and I've rented one for my Aug trip in 2 weeks and for my Oct 50th Anniv trip. I will probably rent one every time I go. My Disney travel was infinitely improved by use of the scooter. Good luck. You'll love it.

There *are* some folks (like me) who can't deal with *backing* a mobility device off of a Skyliner while moving; it's just too much to visually process. I could *maybe* try to drive on, and hit the right spot to land between the benches going in, but backing out while moving - even slowly - is just not safe for me.

If someone has issues with dizziness (when turning their head too fast, for example) or any other visual issues that could be triggered by trying to drive/back up/move all at the same time, they might want to reconsider not using Riviera only for that reason.

I think I would have issues backing off of a moving skyliner. Dizziness is a companion.

I rented a scooter for the first time over Spring Break this year. I carefully read mamabunny's advice and instructions and ended up having a great time. The scooter was fun. Nothing about it was difficult. Getting on/off monorail, bus, skyliner was easy. Not one person made fun of me or even looked at me twice. (If they did, I'd ignore them, because I don't acknowledge ignorant people). My teen/20's daughters felt relieved that they weren't having to worry about my health or my ability to walk significant distances and stand for long periods of time. They did not have literally drag me back to the resort at night. Their trips were improved by my use of the scooter. I rented a scooter again when I went in June, and I've rented one for my Aug trip in 2 weeks and for my Oct 50th Anniv trip. I will probably rent one every time I go. My Disney travel was infinitely improved by use of the scooter. Good luck. You'll love it.

I’m so glad you rented one! I know the first time is hard, but it does make the trip much easier on you and everyone else.

There *are* some folks (like me) who can't deal with *backing* a mobility device off of a Skyliner while moving; it's just too much to visually process. I could *maybe* try to drive on, and hit the right spot to land between the benches going in, but backing out while moving - even slowly - is just not safe for me.

If someone has issues with dizziness (when turning their head too fast, for example) or any other visual issues that could be triggered by trying to drive/back up/move all at the same time, they might want to reconsider not using Riviera only for that reason.

Last I heard, ECVs and wheelchairs still have to be driven on in the "forward" position when loading, and we are not allowed to back in. If that has changed, then I could possibly load "backwards" at another station, and then drive "out" (facing forwards) at Riviera. Otherwise I will only see that station from inside a Skyliner.

At the stations they pull the gondolas from the line and they are just hanging. They aren't moving on the line but they are hanging so tthey will sway. Not that much sway because of the weight of the gondola, more so if you have others in the gondola with you. Just wait until it stops swaying and you should be fine.

At the stations they pull the gondolas from the line and they are just hanging. They aren't moving on the line but they are hanging so tthey will sway. Not that much sway because of the weight of the gondola, more so if you have others in the gondola with you. Just wait until it stops swaying and you should be fine.
This is not true at Riviera. It’s the only resort without a pulloff area. They slow the line down but they would have to stop the entire line in order to stop a gondola from moving at all.

I have used the Skyliners from the stations before - we traveled from EPCOT to HS one memorable night in Jan 2020 (it was *cold* and windy! SO WINDY!) and the car we boarded did have a tiny bit of "sway" at EPCOT, but when we stopped at what we jokingly call "Grand Central Station" to transfer, it was rock-solid stable.

I truly wish they would let us back in to the Skyliner cabins - it really would make things *so* much faster getting off at the next location. I don't know why, but backing in seems easier to me than backing out!

Just so you know, they CAN stop the gondolas at Riviera, you will need to let them know that you can't handle any movement (seriously the crawling is so slow it is almost a stop, but I get that it may not work for all) when getting on or off there. They don't like to stop it, but they can and will. They obviously have to make accomodations when there are parks that don't have buses running to and from them, which is typical for the parks that the skyline go to from Skyliner resorts. Basically, if the skyliner is an option, buses won't generally run that route unless the Skyliner stops running.

Just so you know, they CAN stop the gondolas at Riviera, you will need to let them know that you can't handle any movement (seriously the crawling is so slow it is almost a stop, but I get that it may not work for all) when getting on or off there. They don't like to stop it, but they can and will. They obviously have to make accomodations when there are parks that don't have buses running to and from them, which is typical for the parks that the skyline go to from Skyliner resorts. Basically, if the skyliner is an option, buses won't generally run that route unless the Skyliner stops running.

I've long heard that - that you can request it, but I guess I am that person who would feel too guilty, asking them to stop the entire line (potentially) several times a day. I know that I can request it as an accommodation, but at that point, I'm also impacting the vacation of (potentially) hundreds of other Guests in what they might perceive as a negative or scary fashion. (Getting "stuck", even for a just a moment or two on the Skyliner could cause someone else to be frightened or even traumatized while swaying high above the ground, whereas if I load onto the bus, at worst it delays someone a very few minutes)

I also need to know (for my personal peace of mind, not to mention for my family's comfort) that my transportation options are going to "just work". I cannot - and will not - rely upon begging CMs every time I need to get on/off the Skyliner at a stop where they neglected to take the needs of *all* Guests into consideration - all it takes is *one* CM who is having a bad day, or is just not in the mood to stop the line, and my vacation can take a turn for the worse.

One of the main reasons I love to go to WDW is because when I get there, I know that the buses, the Monorail (and for the most part) the boats will get me where I want to go, and with no "drama" beyond the deployment or placing of a ramp.

I can, and will utilize the Skyliner, but just not for any trip that requires me to use the station at the Riviera.

When I was young and healthy, I would’ve gladly gone alone with a friend to help out with the kiddos. Maybe a niece or nephew or cousin’s teen/young adult would like to go. If it doesn’t go over the allowable people in a studio, a young person could sleep on an air mattress and probably would be happy to do it.
So, I want to thank folks for their comments. I’m here now and I’ll post about this later on my computer. But. I can’t do it. I had a really rough time today. It’s too late, it seems from what I’ve found, to rent an ecv for this stay (I can do parks, which I think will be fine for me) but I had a real breaking point today where I realized I could either use the things made to help me access the parks or just not go back. Like, I gave myself the ultimatum to either rent an ecv tomorrow and try to deal with my stuff or just stay at the resort until I leave. It was bad. And there’s no way I could do this with the kids (to the point that I now regret them having this idea in their head because I’m so unprepared). I feel like this gives me some time to figure things out - and it’s just clear that it will need to be assisted in some way (ecv, another person, or both - and midday breaks) or just can’t happen. And I’m super frustrated with myself (I searched my username in this forum to find this list … and posted almost 15 years ago about needing help!). But also, my kids have the same thing I have (and my mother had it) and while past isn’t prologue, I need to create the worldview for them to use what they need when they need it. But wow. Today was super hard (at one point, I couldn’t move my hips - not as in I couldn’t keep walking. I couldn’t sit, they locked. The only time I was in more pain was when I woke up following hip surgery back in 2011!).

So, I want to thank folks for their comments. I’m here now and I’ll post about this later on my computer. But. I can’t do it. I had a really rough time today. It’s too late, it seems from what I’ve found, to rent an ecv for this stay (I can do parks, which I think will be fine for me) but I had a real breaking point today where I realized I could either use the things made to help me access the parks or just not go back. Like, I gave myself the ultimatum to either rent an ecv tomorrow and try to deal with my stuff or just stay at the resort until I leave. It was bad. And there’s no way I could do this with the kids (to the point that I now regret them having this idea in their head because I’m so unprepared). I feel like this gives me some time to figure things out - and it’s just clear that it will need to be assisted in some way (ecv, another person, or both - and midday breaks) or just can’t happen. And I’m super frustrated with myself (I searched my username in this forum to find this list … and posted almost 15 years ago about needing help!). But also, my kids have the same thing I have (and my mother had it) and while past isn’t prologue, I need to create the worldview for them to use what they need when they need it. But wow. Today was super hard (at one point, I couldn’t move my hips - not as in I couldn’t keep walking. I couldn’t sit, they locked. The only time I was in more pain was when I woke up following hip surgery back in 2011!).

I'm so sorry. It's hard to realize you will be "dependent" in one way or another - on a device and/or a human - to assist you. Just remember that it's a *tool* (no different than eyeglasses, hearing aids, a calculator, a hammer...) to get a "job" (getting around at WDW) done.

You can rent Parks units (if they are available) and Disney Springs has ECV/wheelchair rental as well. Next trip, you can rent from a local vendor in advance, and have the unit for the entire length of your stay, and it may make all the difference for you.

Just keep doing the next right thing - take it one step at a time, and don't try to cross any bridges till you get to them! 🙂

So very sorry about your rough day. Definitely rent an ECV today. I've always used a Resort Scooter from Scooterbug. Smooth/easy rental process and they deliver to resort. For what it's worth, I'm new to ECVs. Have rented the past 3 times and renting again Oct 1. After my first rental, I was kicking myself asking why I hadn't done it sooner. (I think I was a victim of "tough it out" syndrome and vanity.) In any case, I came on this board to get opinions/suggestions. As soon as Mamabunny compared an ECV to eyeglasses, I was sold. I wear eyeglasses. Because I need them. Same deal with the ECV. For what it's worth, I also enjoy my resort most of the morning/afternoon and venture into the parks late afternoon/evening. I like resort hotels. Especially Disney resort hotels. :) Best of luck to you.

I've long heard that - that you can request it, but I guess I am that person who would feel too guilty, asking them to stop the entire line (potentially) several times a day. I know that I can request it as an accommodation, but at that point, I'm also impacting the vacation of (potentially) hundreds of other Guests in what they might perceive as a negative or scary fashion. (Getting "stuck", even for a just a moment or two on the Skyliner could cause someone else to be frightened or even traumatized while swaying high above the ground, whereas if I load onto the bus, at worst it delays someone a very few minutes)

I also need to know (for my personal peace of mind, not to mention for my family's comfort) that my transportation options are going to "just work". I cannot - and will not - rely upon begging CMs every time I need to get on/off the Skyliner at a stop where they neglected to take the needs of *all* Guests into consideration - all it takes is *one* CM who is having a bad day, or is just not in the mood to stop the line, and my vacation can take a turn for the worse.

One of the main reasons I love to go to WDW is because when I get there, I know that the buses, the Monorail (and for the most part) the boats will get me where I want to go, and with no "drama" beyond the deployment or placing of a ramp.

I can, and will utilize the Skyliner, but just not for any trip that requires me to use the station at the Riviera.
Mamabunny - I have to say that I always appreciate your straightforward view of touring with "what is right for you" in mind. I agree with you. Anything that causes anxiety or has potential for anxiety can and should be avoided, so that you can have the best vacation for you. As far as the Riviera resort goes, in my mind, I don't get it. Rack rate pricing for that resort is on par with the Grand Floridian. Outside of the ECV loading/unloading issue, I've looked at and have visited Riviera and I just don't see the value proposition at that price point. I've read some comments from you about Fort Wilderness Cabins. I've never stayed in one, but have considered doing so for a "different" kind of trip one day. I would have thought FW Cabins as cumbersome in terms of ECV use, but you seem to indicate otherwise. Anyway, thanks again for your thoughtful, straightforward point of view.

Skip an optionally rear basket. The scooter will generally be oversized. You'll have to remove it for some boat and bus areas. You'll have to put the scooter at an angle in some elevators. Works best if you're walking. EPCOT resorts to DHS or EPCOT for example

Call Gold Mobility, they likely can help.

Please rent an ECV and use the tools available. It will make the trip more enjoyable. Also a midday rest is a good thing. Don’t try to do everything at once. Pace yourself. There is no right or wrong way to do things.

And if you cry the first time you get on a scooter, you'll join lots of us who've done the same thing. The first time I finally admitted I needed a scooter, I was on a solo trip, but I HAD to share my misery, so I called home and cried to DH, "I'm on a SCOOTER today!" Then I waited for the negative comments and/or looks-but you know? People were so nice! Just know that you've got many people who read this, thinking "Been there, done that!" I really hope you have a much better day today.

I would second everything that has been said. DW injured her back (and now has a permanent condition as a result of the accident) 8 weeks before our November 2016 trip and it was touch-and-go whether we would get to Florida at all, let alone be able to visit the parks. Intensive treatment from her osteopath meant we were able to make the trip as she could walk for short distances and sit without too much discomfort, but if we hadn’t rented an ECV (a shout out to K&M Rentals here as we’ve also very happily used them on both trips since then) - which DW hated at the time - we would have been well and truly plucked and stuffed.

And to again repeat from above - treat your ECV as another tool, like spectacles or a climber’s ice axe and walking pole, that is just there to help you out. People are very accepting of ECV users and cast members are both very accustomed and very able to help out when and where where they need to.

Sending you all good thoughts from the UK side of the Atlantic…

Mamabunny - I have to say that I always appreciate your straightforward view of touring with "what is right for you" in mind. I agree with you. Anything that causes anxiety or has potential for anxiety can and should be avoided, so that you can have the best vacation for you. As far as the Riviera resort goes, in my mind, I don't get it. Rack rate pricing for that resort is on par with the Grand Floridian. Outside of the ECV loading/unloading issue, I've looked at and have visited Riviera and I just don't see the value proposition at that price point. I've read some comments from you about Fort Wilderness Cabins. I've never stayed in one, but have considered doing so for a "different" kind of trip one day. I would have thought FW Cabins as cumbersome in terms of ECV use, but you seem to indicate otherwise. Anyway, thanks again for your thoughtful, straightforward point of view.

Thank you for the kind words! 🙂 I'm just happy if I can help even one other person have the best possible trip at WDW; like so many others here, it's my happy place!

I have yet to visit Riviera, other than passing through the Skyliner station at a very slow speed, so I can't comment on amenities, or the quality of the overall stay. Our daughter did stay there over the holidays, and she prefers a tower-type hotel, so she was fine with it. However, they did *not* pay rack rate at all for that trip; she has said several times she will only stay there if she can get a good discount.

The Cabins are a wonderful, relaxing place for us; FW seems to force you to slow down, and take it easy 🙂 If you fly in, you will mostly have to take the "loop" buses to the main bus stop - which is an extra transfer every time - but walking home at night from the bus stop, and seeing the fireflies flicker through the pine trees, and waving "hi" to your neighbors that are out on their decks... it's really priceless. I firmly believe that everyone should do it at least once; there are accessible cabins (with ramps to full size decks, roll-in showers available, etc.) especially on a trip when you have a bit more time to spend in "relax" mode.

And now... back to our original topic! 😘

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter