Scooterbug vs ECV rental at the park

jjf

Earning My Ears
We have a very short trip coming up and one member of our party will need an ECV. We’re staying on property for 2 nights and just have 1 park day. Based on the timing of our trip, it seems our only options are the ECV rentals at the park or Scooterbug. Unfortunately our flight leaves so early on our last day (as in we’re leaving the resort at 5 am) that most of the rental companies that require an in person pickup/drop off won’t be available that early. The previous day is our park day so having the scooter picked up in person that late at night also doesn’t seem to be an option. So Scooterbug seems to be the only option where we can use the bell stand.

Of course, we can also just rent one at the park, but I’ve seen a lot of people say this will basically eat up our entire 30 minutes of early entry, which seems like kind of a bummer. If our early entry starts at 8:30, how early will the ECV rentals open? This is for Epcot, specifically. We’ve done early entry plenty of other times so we’re familiar with the process at Epcot, but this is our first time needing an ECV rental. Could we expect to get there around 7:30, get our ECV, and not lose any of our actual “early entry” time? Or do the ECV rentals not start until later?

Scooterbug’s scooters don’t seem to get rave reviews from people, but I’m not really sure if the park rentals are all that great either lol. So which would you choose if they were your only options? Like I said, my original plan was just to use the park rental but I really don’t want to waste any of our early entry time if I have another option.

Another challenge with park rental is the ability of your guest to walk substantial distances without an ECV. Waiting to rent at park means walking from room to transportation. Transportation to the front of the park and back again at the end of the day. Those can be long distances.

My mom used an ECV at Disney due to arthritis. She doesn’t need one at home day to day but we also plan excursions at home with minimal walking. Her entire stay at Disney is much better by having an ECV available to her from the moment we arrive until the moment we leave.

Another challenge with park rental is the ability of your guest to walk substantial distances without an ECV. Waiting to rent at park means walking from room to transportation. Transportation to the front of the park and back again at the end of the day. Those can be long distances.

My mom used an ECV at Disney due to arthritis. She doesn’t need one at home day to day but we also plan excursions at home with minimal walking. Her entire stay at Disney is much better by having an ECV available to her from the moment we arrive until the moment we leave.
I’ll definitely ask her about this, but in the past she’s been fine with that amount of walking and standing. It’s the accumulation of fatigue/pain throughout a long day that she has a hard time with so having an ECV during the park portion is our biggest concern, not so much the hotel part.

We have a very short trip coming up and one member of our party will need an ECV. We’re staying on property for 2 nights and just have 1 park day. Based on the timing of our trip, it seems our only options are the ECV rentals at the park or Scooterbug. Unfortunately our flight leaves so early on our last day (as in we’re leaving the resort at 5 am) that most of the rental companies that require an in person pickup/drop off won’t be available that early. The previous day is our park day so having the scooter picked up in person that late at night also doesn’t seem to be an option. So Scooterbug seems to be the only option where we can use the bell stand.

Of course, we can also just rent one at the park, but I’ve seen a lot of people say this will basically eat up our entire 30 minutes of early entry, which seems like kind of a bummer. If our early entry starts at 8:30, how early will the ECV rentals open? This is for Epcot, specifically. We’ve done early entry plenty of other times so we’re familiar with the process at Epcot, but this is our first time needing an ECV rental. Could we expect to get there around 7:30, get our ECV, and not lose any of our actual “early entry” time? Or do the ECV rentals not start until later?

Scooterbug’s scooters don’t seem to get rave reviews from people, but I’m not really sure if the park rentals are all that great either lol. So which would you choose if they were your only options? Like I said, my original plan was just to use the park rental but I really don’t want to waste any of our early entry time if I have another option.
You will likely eat up your early entry to rent in park and also say she starts walking and can’t make it to gate one of you will not be able to rent and bring out of gate to her. If you would decide to ride a ride or 2 and then go back to rent you take a chance on them running out. Which can happen in the morning

With one day like I’d Scooterbug. Waiting at transport and walking to/from the parks, or even your hotel room from the bus drop, can be a lot for someone with mobility challenges.

I don’t know if my experiences were one-offs, but I rented in park 4 days of our last trip, and we made early entry every day. I was typically one of the first at the rental places. For me, I really only need the ECV in the parks, and my family likes to Uber at times, so this works best.

You will likely eat up your early entry to rent in park and also say she starts walking and can’t make it to gate one of you will not be able to rent and bring out of gate to her. If you would decide to ride a ride or 2 and then go back to rent you take a chance on them running out. Which can happen in the morning
Gotcha. How early do they start renting out the ECV’s? Obviously I know if we arrive at 8:30 for early entry we will end up using all that extra time for the rental, but what if we arrive earlier? I know they let people through the turnstiles before 8:30, so are the ECV’s available to rent as early as 7:45 or so?

As I said in another comment, we are not concerned about her being able to walk from the bus area to the park rental (and vice versa at the end of the day). She doesn’t have serious mobility issues, she just has issues with chronic fatigue and pain. She’s fine if she’s able to sit for a significant part of the day so that’s why we need the scooter. She’s used a park rental many times at Disneyland so we know she’s capable of walking to/from the parking lot.

Mostly my question just boils down to what time the park will open up their ECV rentals. If Early Entry starts at 8:30, can we arrive between 7:30 and 8 get an ECV that early? Or will they not even start renting them out until 8:30?

I don’t know if my experiences were one-offs, but I rented in park 4 days of our last trip, and we made early entry every day. I was typically one of the first at the rental places. For me, I really only need the ECV in the parks, and my family likes to Uber at times, so this works best.
Ohh good to know! Do you remember how early they started the rentals? Or how long before early entry started that you were able to get yours?

I've had bad luck with Scooterbug. If they bring you a lemon of a scooter you will be worse off. The park scooter I had was nicer and worked better.

I was thinking maybe rent a WC and pick up an ECV after the morning rush into the park but not sure you'd want to go back to the front to rent an ECV. I'd probably take the risk and do Scooterbug as long as you're mentally prepared that something will be wrong with it and you'll end up with plan B...and lose the rental money you paid for Scooterbug. If anything goes wrong with it in the park, I don't think they're capable of getting one to you the same day.

If I was the one member of your party, I'd split up from you to do the in park rental and try to catch up to you - otherwise what would I miss - just one attraction at best I'd think. And I'd likely get a working scooter. And knowing myself I'd go to Starbucks first anyway....haha! ;)

Ohh good to know! Do you remember how early they started the rentals? Or how long before early entry started that you were able to get yours?
At HS, I know I had my ECV early enough to be eating breakfast at Starbucks while waiting to be allowed to head down to Tower of Terror. That day, I think I got the first ECV.

Check pricing at Swan, Dolphin and Reserve. Senior rates are good.
All vendors are allowed use of bell services

Would you consider leaving mom at evc rental and then meet you at the next ride in the plan? Or will she be disappointed not getting a certain ride?

I usually rent from Gold Mobility (and love them) but we had a short trip last summer (only one day in the parks) and I opted to use the part EVC - it was much better than I expected. I had no issues and the biggest bonus is that I did not have to navigate it on Disney transportation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter