Scooterbug vs. Gold Mobility

I am looking to rent two scooters in December for my elderly parents. Gold Mobility looks great, but it doesn't appear that they will deliver after 7pm. Has anyone had a later delivery? Our flight doesn't arrive until 6:30pm.

By the time you're settled into the hotel it will be closer to 8pm - do you think they'll be wanting to go out very far that evening? If they need assistance getting to the room I'd think the hotel could help you with a golf cart and then you could arrange for their earliest delivery the next morning. From my experience with another company's bad scooters, Gold is worth it.

If they want to go out in the evening, perhaps a dinner at a hotel - either the one you're staying or take an uber over to another resort? It's sometimes hard to arrange to eat at a place like AKL for example, and get the scooter(s) there and back to your own resort so I've had good luck using uber for this type of thing. If I was arriving that late in the day I'd probably be happy to go to bed - haha! :)

By the time you're settled into the hotel it will be closer to 8pm - do you think they'll be wanting to go out very far that evening? If they need assistance getting to the room I'd think the hotel could help you with a golf cart and then you could arrange for their earliest delivery the next morning. From my experience with another company's bad scooters, Gold is worth it.

If they want to go out in the evening, perhaps a dinner at a hotel - either the one you're staying or take an uber over to another resort? It's sometimes hard to arrange to eat at a place like AKL for example, and get the scooter(s) there and back to your own resort so I've had good luck using uber for this type of thing. If I was arriving that late in the day I'd probably be happy to go to bed - haha! :)
We usually have Gold meet us the next morning when we have a late flight. If we are too far from the lobby, Gold will come to our room if needed. And several of the resorts have ways to assist you in getting to your room on check in day if needed.

Unfortunately, Gold Mobility is only taking reservations through on line. You are charged at time of making the reservation. I tried calling for August 17th reservation and was told they were only taking reservations on line, with payment due at that time.

They only take reservations on-line now? Thanks for telling me. I've never booked on-line, always called, even for my reservation just a few weeks ago. I wonder why.

They only take reservations on-line now? Thanks for telling me. I've never booked on-line, always called, even for my reservation just a few weeks ago. I wonder why.
Usually they take them by phone, but when they get too busy, they sometimes have to do online only, usually to make sure people don't have to wait hours on the phone and sometimes because they are getting too low on inventory, so I think it is also how they ensure that customers are served in a first come, first served order. Basically, like all companies, they only have a certain number of scooters available and let's say for your dates there is only one scooter, someone started the process online before you, but let's say you get lucky and get straight through to someone and you snatch the one scooter up before they click checkout because you called, that could be problematic.

And one other reason is so that they make sure they have staff available to take calls and texts from those that are receiving deliveries, as they are having trouble hiring enough staff, just the same as many other companies of all types are having.

My understanding is when they are doing online only, it is usually one or more of these issues.

I have gone with Scooterbug twice and never again. Just this last week, I received an ECV that would not hold a charge, even just around the resort on the day I got it. It was Sunday, no one answered my call, so, I left it in my room and paid at Epcot for a scooter that worked. The next morning, I was told that all of the lights do not have to stay on, if the scooter was on a flat surface standing and all lights were on that was good enough. Within a few minutes after the call, I had the scooter on flat surface and not all lights were on. I called again and told them that this was happening within 1 hour of it being charged all night!!

I got about a $20 refund for my troubles, and I was told the original scooter did have a problem.

The first time I tried them, the scooter was unable to move right at Bell Services. I cancelled then and there.

A friend who is coming with me looked up Scooterbug on BBB. This is what she found

Ready for this, they are not a BBB Accredited Company, but BBB has received complaints on their poor service because of: Scooters breaking down, having NO live help when calling them only Dispatchers, calling numerous times because they were never called back when leaving messages on their broken Scooter & length of wait to get a replacement, wasted DAYS waiting for a replacement Scooter, & poor compensation for wasted days without a working scooter!!!
Overall BBB Rating: F!
Not too surprised!”

Well, how WDW is using them is beyond my reasoning.

Bobbi

PS. I ordered from Gold Mobility for our October stay. I noticed they charged CC right away!
I did receive a response from WDW

Thank you for your e-mail to the Walt Disney World® Resort although due to unforeseen circumstances, we regret not providing a more prompt reply to your inquiry.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and are sorry for the disappointments you mentioned in your e-mail regarding ScooterBug.

While Scooterbug remains the official provider for Electric Convenience Vehicles for Walt Disney World® at present, Guests are not required to use their services. Provided that the item meets our requirements (listed below), you may choose to work with another provider or use a scooter of their own.

For future reference, wheeled mobility devices with less than 3 wheels or devices that cannot maintain stability and balance when stopped, unpowered and/or unoccupied are prohibited at all Disney Parks. Training wheels and/or modifications are not permitted. Devices must be manually or electrically powered and operated at a walking pace. Devices should be single rider and not exceed 36" (92 cm) in width and 52" (132 cm) in length.

As it remains our goal to create magical memories and exceed the expectations of our Guests, we regularly review and adjust all procedures and processes at Walt Disney World® and do appreciate all feedback received. Please be assured that we have shared your comments with our leadership team, along with the appropriate management, as feedback such as yours is taken very seriously.

Once again, thank you for contacting us. We sincerely hope that we will have an opportunity to entertain you again soon.

Sincerely,

Julius

I did receive a response from WDW

Thank you for your e-mail to the Walt Disney World® Resort although due to unforeseen circumstances, we regret not providing a more prompt reply to your inquiry.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and are sorry for the disappointments you mentioned in your e-mail regarding ScooterBug.

While Scooterbug remains the official provider for Electric Convenience Vehicles for Walt Disney World® at present, Guests are not required to use their services. Provided that the item meets our requirements (listed below), you may choose to work with another provider or use a scooter of their own.

For future reference, wheeled mobility devices with less than 3 wheels or devices that cannot maintain stability and balance when stopped, unpowered and/or unoccupied are prohibited at all Disney Parks. Training wheels and/or modifications are not permitted. Devices must be manually or electrically powered and operated at a walking pace. Devices should be single rider and not exceed 36" (92 cm) in width and 52" (132 cm) in length.

As it remains our goal to create magical memories and exceed the expectations of our Guests, we regularly review and adjust all procedures and processes at Walt Disney World® and do appreciate all feedback received. Please be assured that we have shared your comments with our leadership team, along with the appropriate management, as feedback such as yours is taken very seriously.

Once again, thank you for contacting us. We sincerely hope that we will have an opportunity to entertain you again soon.

Sincerely,

Julius

Gosh that's such an unhelpful response. I guess if the scooter won't work at all it still meets Disney requirements. It just can't be to big, go too fast, or fall over and I suppose an inoperative scooter doesn't violate any of those. They really should require the item to be in good working order or replaced asap and should track that only a small number of scooters have to be swapped out per week, etc. This is why I stopped using Buena Vista scooters as their units were beaten up and I had too many of them with issues. I hope you have better luck with Gold - I've certainly been as happy as I could be with a scooter and their service.

Gold Mobility is amazing to work with. The scooters are like brand new, prices are the best I’ve found and their customer service is great. They keep in touch via text so if your schedule changes a bit they can accommodate you. I highly recommend Gold Mobility!

We have our reservation with Gold Mobility starting this Saturday. We reserved it two or three months ago. Should we reach out this week or do they typically contact you before your reserve date?

We have our reservation with Gold Mobility starting this Saturday. We reserved it two or three months ago. Should we reach out this week or do they typically contact you before your reserve date?

They texted me the night before my arrival last month. It was so exciting! A reminder that "tomorrow at this time I'll be at WDW."

They texted me the night before my arrival last month. It was so exciting! A reminder that "tomorrow at this time I'll be at WDW."

ok, good to know. I get a bit antsy so waiting until the day before to confirm everything is a go creates a little anxiety for me LOL.

I have gone with Scooterbug twice and never again. Just this last week, I received an ECV that would not hold a charge, even just around the resort on the day I got it. It was Sunday, no one answered my call, so, I left it in my room and paid at Epcot for a scooter that worked. The next morning, I was told that all of the lights do not have to stay on, if the scooter was on a flat surface standing and all lights were on that was good enough. Within a few minutes after the call, I had the scooter on flat surface and not all lights were on. I called again and told them that this was happening within 1 hour of it being charged all night!!

I got about a $20 refund for my troubles, and I was told the original scooter did have a problem.

The first time I tried them, the scooter was unable to move right at Bell Services. I cancelled then and there.

A friend who is coming with me looked up Scooterbug on BBB. This is what she found

Ready for this, they are not a BBB Accredited Company, but BBB has received complaints on their poor service because of: Scooters breaking down, having NO live help when calling them only Dispatchers, calling numerous times because they were never called back when leaving messages on their broken Scooter & length of wait to get a replacement, wasted DAYS waiting for a replacement Scooter, & poor compensation for wasted days without a working scooter!!!
Overall BBB Rating: F!
Not too surprised!”

Well, how WDW is using them is beyond my reasoning.

Bobbi

PS. I ordered from Gold Mobility for our October stay. I noticed they charged CC right away!
They do charge it in full if you do it online. However, if you call them to reserve they charge it when they drop off the ECV. I've rented from them muiltiple times and love them.

I've only had an issue with their scooters once. I was at Hollywood Studios and my scooter wouldn't stay charged.So, I called them. It was around 5 pm. They were there in less than 20 minutes. He had a scooter replcement and they dropped of another one, clean and brand new at Bell Services. I also mentioned that I could use more covers for the control panel, shower caps, and they gave me about 5 more.

I am looking to rent two scooters in December for my elderly parents. Gold Mobility looks great, but it doesn't appear that they will deliver after 7pm. Has anyone had a later delivery? Our flight doesn't arrive until 6:30pm.
My flight doesn't get in until 6:30 pm also. When I called them they told me that they would deliver at 7 am the next morning. I have no doubt that they will be there that next morning.

Unfortunately, Gold Mobility is only taking reservations through on line. You are charged at time of making the reservation. I tried calling for August 17th reservation and was told they were only taking reservations on line, with payment due at that time.

Same experience. I called about a month ago to reserve for my Mom for the end of September and was told that they only accept reservations online now. So I booked it online and paid in full (once I found a credit card that wanted to work that day).

Oh and when we arrive, we always book for the following morning. We usually arrive around 6-7 PM and just stay close the first night and relax. We usually get our scooters delivered the next morning around 8 AM.

Just an update: just returned from 10 night stay. Gold Mobility met me promptly at noon (our agreed upon time). They also were prompt at picking up scooter. One piece of advice, always leave a secondary contact person and phone number of someone in your travel party. We found this extremely helpful when my phone was actually left at home! Gold Mobility used my daughter's contact info and we never had a problem.

Just letting everyone know we just setup our rentals for November and Gold Mobility let us know their pricing will be increasing by $50 in the next few weeks. So if you need to reserve a scooter I would get that done soon so you can get the lower pricing.

Just letting everyone know we just setup our rentals for November and Gold Mobility let us know their pricing will be increasing by $50 in the next few weeks. So if you need to reserve a scooter I would get that done soon so you can get the lower pricing.
Thanks, I see the “sale” ends August 31.

I realize that this is a month old thread but I will never rent from Gold Mobility again.
Last night I was caught in the horrible rainstorm in Epcot. Evening of Sept. 7th.
All seemed well until the scooter wouldn't work the next morning.
I called them twice and had to leave urgent messages since I was heading to the give kids the world convention.
When I got a call back after 20 minutes and told them the number of beeps the scooter had I was told it was because it got wet.
It's florida and really rainy. I used the provided covers and did my best to avoid
puddles.
I was then informed it wasn't covered by the insurance and needed to dry out a day or even 2.
I walked carefully today at the convention but I'm afraid to take it out tomorrow. It's 60% chance of rain and i don't want to be stranded in a park tomorrow.
I'm afraid to take it out now and what would I do if it quits in animal kingdom tomorrow? Will gold mobility leave me stranded?

I am going to cancel my next reservation with them and find another company for my trip at the end of the month.

I rented from Scooterbug Labor Day weekend. I was slightly nervous after reading some reviews on this site. I had no issues. It was waiting for me at Riviera. I was shocked at how fast it was. I think it actually had more pep than the Gold mobility scooter I rented in June. I did miss the cup holder

I realize that this is a month old thread but I will never rent from Gold Mobility again.
Last night I was caught in the horrible rainstorm in Epcot. Evening of Sept. 7th.
All seemed well until the scooter wouldn't work the next morning.
I called them twice and had to leave urgent messages since I was heading to the give kids the world convention.
When I got a call back after 20 minutes and told them the number of beeps the scooter had I was told it was because it got wet.
It's florida and really rainy. I used the provided covers and did my best to avoid
puddles.
I was then informed it wasn't covered by the insurance and needed to dry out a day or even 2.
I walked carefully today at the convention but I'm afraid to take it out tomorrow. It's 60% chance of rain and i don't want to be stranded in a park tomorrow.
I'm afraid to take it out now and what would I do if it quits in animal kingdom tomorrow? Will gold mobility leave me stranded?

I am going to cancel my next reservation with them and find another company for my trip at the end of the month.
Something doesn't sound right here.....first off we have been caught off guard in MASSIVE downpours and covered the tiller properly with absolutely no issues. Even Knott's Berry Farm, which has massive drainage issues had no problems with the one DH purchased in the rain, other than he had to find a cover as he wasn't expecting the rain, luckily a shop gave him a bag and it was fine.

I also doubt they would leave you stranded unless they were completely out of equipment and had no other options.

I am not saying this didn't happen, but I am saying there has to be more to the story.

I would suggest calling during business hours and ask for Vick and explain what happened to see what can be done to ensure this doesn't reoccud.

Last edited:
Something doesn't sound right here.....first off we have been caught off guard in MASSIVE downpours and covered the tiller properly with absolutely no issues. Even Knott's Berry Farm, which has massive drainage issues had no problems with the one DH purchased in the rain, other than he had to find a cover as he wasn't expecting the rain, luckily a shop gave him a bag and it was fine.

I also doubt they would leave you stranded unless they were completely out of equipment and had no other options.

I am not saying this didn't happen, but I am saying there has to be more to the story.

I would suggest calling during business hours and ask for Vick and explain what happened to see what can be done to ensure this doesn't reoccud.
I thought it was crazy and I'm the one it happened to!
Just back in the room and it's still not working so I will be calling again tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter