Scrapbook. Where do I start?

Ted and Holly

This login is used by Ted only, please refer to Ju
Hi All!
Scrapbooking sounds like so much fun! I want to make a scrapbook of our upcoming trip to WDW instead of the usual photo album. What kinds of things do I need to look for and buy while at WDW, and where do I start? Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Anyone have any examples?

HollyP

Welcome to the wonderful world of scrapbooking! It is such a fun hobby. Look at some Disney layouts at these sites:

www.twopeasinabucket.com (do a Disney search under layouts)

www.dmarie.com (do a Disney search under layout central)

www.mousememories.com (sell Disney die cuts and stickers, etc)

Oops! Got to go for now. Someone is at our door. This should give you enough to get started. You might want to attend a Creative Memories class. I love their scrapbooks and they would help you get started.

WOW!! THanks, Merry Poppins! That's a good start. Where do I get supplies?

This looks like so much fun, but it looks like quite an art! Looks like I found a winter project!!!

Holly

Ted & Holly

you can get supplies at your art and craft store (like Michaels), or you might have a local Scrapbooking store or there;s always the internet.

twopeasinabucket have a lot of stuff but there are 100's of online stores - try yahoo and search for scrapbooking

You can try this link to find a local scrapbook store (lss)

http://www.creatingkeepsakes.com/letsscrapbook/locator/

Bev

Thanks for the link to local stores, Bev! There are a few about an hour away... I may have to take a roadtrip!

I spent some time looking at layout examples of Disney Pages! How wonderful! I didn't realize how much is actually involved in scrapbooking! Some of them are amazing!

Thanks you two for the pointers! I think I may have found myself a new hobby! I'm not sure why I didn't think of it before, but I'm very excited! We are going to WDW in 19 days, and it will give me something fun to do and look forward to when we get back!

I'm so excited! Thank you!
Holly

Welcome to the wonderful world of scrapping. It is both fun and addicting.

Pick up 2 of everything (park maps, schedules, and such) so that you have a front and back. You may want to mount them whole or cut some things out of them.

Save everything. Merchandise bags, tags, register receipts, napkins. I found a great layout idea from a hang tag on a beach towel, and I used a bag that had silhouetted Mickey heads all over it as a background.

Buy some post cards, especially some of the cut out character ones. There may also be some scenes that you might not be able to get with your camera.

Take pictures of things like lamp posts, signs, clocks, the door of your hotel room showing the room number. Anything that could be cut out or silhouetted to use as an accent on a page. I took pictures of the beautiful carpets on the cruise and used them for Mickey heads and picture mounts.

Take a couple of large document mailing envelopes to keep all the things you have collected. I have even heard of people mailing them home to themselves as they got full.

And lastly keep a journal, even if you only write a few notes at the end of the day about the things you did. It will come in very handy

You won't know what you will use until you are sitting there scrapping.

Have a wonderful trip and come back and hang out with us.

Chessie

Thanks Chessie!

That's just the kind of info I was looking for. I wanted to know what to do at WDW to make scrapbooking easier when I attempt it after our trip! I LOVE the idea about putting everything into envelopes and keeping a journal! I'll have to look at everything just a little bit differently while were there! I really appreciate your help! I'm so excited about this! We're going to do a little shopping today and we're going to stop by Michaels just to get a feel for their supplies! How exciting!

Holly

So many good suggestions! here a few of mine:

Each night I wrote down what DH, 2 DDs and I thought of as our favorite parts of the day.

Buy postcards of after-dark activities (some of the hardest to photograph) like parades and fireworks displays. Also, consider getting them for rides or show where flash photography is not permitted if they are available.

Invest in one Mickey-head paper punch. I have used those little punched shapes to decorate soooo many pages!

Do try to take a Creative Memories class, especially if this is your first scrapbooking experience. They are fun and informative! Check www.creative-memories.com for a consultant near you.

Pressed pennies can be added to your pages with large clear polypropolene photo corners.

Choose 2-4 colors per park, and use them to decorate all pages related to that park. It will help your album to come together much faster!

Have fun!

I have also seen cute pages done with character signatures on acid-free, colored cardstock. After you get home, you can put the signature on the page with the character's photo. Really cute!

I have even taken photos of tile-work in the floor of a bathroom at Animal Kingdom (because I thought I might want to use the pattern on a page). :D It is amazing what you will see that sparks an idea, if you are just looking for it. My family thinks I am crazy, but they still love me.

I made a darling page where the "i" in Animal Kingdom was the trunk of the tree of life. I put a torn paper green treetop across the top of the title. One of these days I need to scan a bunch of these pages and put them up for people to see.

Oh, another idea is that coloring books work great as patterns for paper piecing. I have found a lot of Disney coloring books at Walmart. On our cruise last spring, I found a Disney Cruise coloring book. These make fantastic pages and it is so inexpensive. Watch for coloring books!

Holly,

Go to Creative-Memories.com and do a search for a consultant near you. She'll be able to teach you all the basics of scrapbooking. This would be especially helpful since you mentioned the local craft stores are about an hour away from you.

Everyone has such great ideas! I went once the WDW this summer, and I tried to keep scrapbooking in mind! That was difficult seeing as I love Disney so much! During my next trip, I'm going to try to find even more great things like you all have suggested to make a really spectacular Disney scrapbook!

I would also like to add my own suggestions. I found some great stickers at WDW when I was there. There was a box of stickers with four rolls of stickers- one roll per park! I had to get it! Also, I saw stickers with a safari theme in the Animal Kingdom. It came with Mickey and friends dressed for the safari or with Pooh and friends dressed for safari! They were really cute! (I opted not to buy those before, but I will probably buy them in August). If you love Mickey (like me!) and you see stickers with him alone or with a few friends, don't turn them down EVER! Mickey stickers (especially full body) are hard to find. Pooh stickers are everywhere, but Mickey is tougher to find.

Another helpful suggestion is to obtain a copy of Creating Keepsakes' book called "The Big Idea Book of Disney Memories." Everyone has such great ideas, and while you look over the many layouts, you can see what they got from the parks and get ideas of things you might want to try NOT to miss!

One last thought: I would suggest to anyone who wants to do a Disney World scrapbook to try scrapbooking some family photos first. It helps to get a feel for what you are doing. At first, my pages were unbelieveably simple, but now, my pages are much more interesting and more fun to look at!

Happy scrapbooking and Disney memory making!
Kristin

I recently heard that the Creating Keepsakes' book called "The Big Idea Book of Disney Memories" will only be available for a little bit longer. They aren't making more, so if you want one, you need to find one in the near future. I agree that it is a great source for Disney pages.

I heard that Creating Keepsakes is making a new Disney Book! I know the current one won't be around too much longer, but they new one should be available at some point. However, I don't see anything on the Creating Keepsakes homepage. I will try to keep everyone posted on what I find out!

Kristin

Oh, please do! That is one that I'd like to preorder. I was just at The Great American Scrapbook Convention this weekend and took a class with one of their employees. Wish I'd known and I'd have asked about it. There was no mention of it in their booth. Hope it's true! The first one was really cool. Great reference.

I picked up My Creative Companion at convention. Becky Higgins is just wonderful. This book looks like it will be perfect for when you have scrapper's block. I recommend any of her books for a newbie scrapper.

Originally posted by Ted and Holly
I wanted to know what to do at WDW to make scrapbooking easier when I attempt it after our trip.
Holly
Holly:

On Deb Wills' site, she has a page devoted to Disney scrapping:
http://wdwig.com/scrap.htm

A lot of what's there has already been mentioned here, but I still think it's an interesting article. HTH! :D

WHEW! It is great to know I am the only "nut" who collects napkins, brochures and everything else to bring home for my scrapbooks! Those little standup cards in the rooms that tell you how to use the phone are wonderfully useful. You should've seen me trying to collect the "pixie dust" they threw on us at the Cinderella Castle breakfast.....trying to keep up with that until we got home was no small chore. Resort maps, menus, merchandise tags, bags, the list goes on and on....and most of this costs nothing (if you were already buying whatever it came with anyway). I have never thrown away the credit-card rooms keys - they are in the scrapbooks. CMs are prone to stick stickers on the kids - we keep those.

My poor family has just gotten used to throwing nothing away at Disney World until they ask me about it first!

well this past Jan when we got home we had the Room kaycards and our co-pilot licenses from riding up front in the monorail, and since we got enaged up there, we framed them. I got a frame, that has four square cutouts in a square, and some paper to put behind them. So we have in the upper left a room kaycard facing front out, the uper right has a monorail copilot card face out, the lower left has the other copilot card backside out, and finally the lower right has the other room key backside out.

This was before I got into scrapbooking, otherwise they probably would have made it into a scrapbook. The paper I got for backing for this project and the adhesive I used I got from the scrapbooking aisle as I was getting interested in trying scrapbooking so I checked out the scrapbooking stuff while getting the supplies for it. But the work I did on this frame got my fiance thinking I would be good at scrapbooking and she talked me into taking a class on it, and I AM HOOKED. I am in the process of getting the basic tools I need, slowly as I have the extra cash.

But we also did collect other things as well, like napkins and stuff, so you are definatel not alone. It will be even worse on this coming year's trip as now I am a scrapper, and will be working on collecting more stuff.

Mike

PHEW! Thank goodness I'm not the only crazy person out there who brings home EVERYTHING from Disney World! I went to the Sword in the Stone ceremony, and I grabbed one of the white feathers and silver circle confetti Merlin threw out. Pathetic, isn't it?? I will probably be worse when I go in August! Oh well. I guess it all comes with the territory of being a scrapper! However, I am not ashamed of being a scrapper, so it shouldn't be too bad gathering up everything I can find while I'm down there! tee-hee

Happy Scrapbooking!

Just found this site through the invitation of DVCajun.

I'm a little embarrassed that my wife does not like scrapbooking and I do. I have done a Creative Memories album from 1995 - 2/2001. I too ,like many of you, collect and keep everthing we come in contact with when in Disney and since finding this site, my interest is renewed and I need to get moving because so far I'm 4 trips behind with another one coming up 10/11/2002. So gota go.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter