Screaming lap babies

Sister you have no idea! Its been 2 weeks and Im only 50% thinned out. His big head is just not dropping down far enough so while Im having contractions on and off the keep stalling out without any progress. :confused: If they keep up then this weekend they will break my water but if they stall out again I will go Thursday for induction. But enough about big babies, I want PIE! :rotfl2:

Oh I feel for both of you. I was at 3.5cm 75% thinned with my last one for 3wks. They finally induced at 39wks when the contractions werent doing crap after those 3wks straight of them.

Ooh I wanted pumpkin to but I don't want to take it from a women who has been 3 cms dilated for so long, that would make anyone really nasty :love:

Kirsten

If I'm pregant and due any day, THATS NEWS TO ME!! I'm not, I just made pies, thats all.:rotfl2:

Ooh I wanted pumpkin to but I don't want to take it from a women who has been 3 cms dilated for so long, that would make anyone really nasty :love:

Kirsten

Oh I feel for both of you. I was at 3.5cm 75% thinned with my last one for 3wks. They finally induced at 39wks when the contractions werent doing crap after those 3wks straight of them.

the silly thing is, I went into preterm labor with this one at 22 weeks and have been on bed rest ever since. I guess all of the meds worked in stopping it too well!

I don't nurse. I find it revolting. I prefer to feed my baby pie while he sits unrestrained in my lap on the airplane. And once we get to our destination, I send him off with his nanny, whom we pay in cash - don't ask, don't tell - and they spend the week pool-hopping. That way, I can sleep in while on vacation. Since I work 60-80 hours per week, I rarely get to see my 3 kids, and I really need my rest. Isn't that why they call it "vacation?"
Oh! One more question: Is the DDP too much food?:confused3

No, you didn't say that, but earlier, maybe page 4, someone did. Said they would never buy a seat for their baby because they couldn't nurse it if they did. That was what my initial comment was in response to. So I gave alternatives as a mother who nursed both kids exclusively as infants and then to nearly 2yo. I was able to buy my babies seats to keep the safe, as well as nurse them and if the need arose for sucking/milk I handled that with the alternatives mentioned. Again, not everyone can do it, you specifically have made it clear that you cannot. But most people have either a bottle (whether it be pumped milk or supplemental formula) or pacifier as an option, and reading posts saying a baby must be nursed are very misleading to new parents.

I feel the need to jump back in because it was MY post that is now being misrepresented. I never said anywhere (and would never say as a blanket statement) that babies NEED to be nursed. All I said is that I wanted to nurse MY baby on take-off and landing and that is why I would never buy a seat for a baby. Given that all of my girlfriends were also given similar advice, I was curious as to whether there were nursing moms that chose not to nurse during landing and take-off -- and, as you have demonstrated, the answer is yes.

Would it be safer to be in a carseat? Probably. But, I'm not going to forgo nursing and comforting my daughter for that incremental increase in safety. At some point, the measures you take to increase safety (and you can always do so), no longer outweigh other considerations --- and reasonable minds (and moms) can disagree as to exactly where that line is drawn.

Finally, pecan pie is simply the best -- and no, reasonable minds cannot disagree on that one. :)

Good luck to all the moms to be on here. I have 2 more weeks to go to my scheduled date. This baby has threatened to come early, but I'm hoping she stays put till then.

I feel the need to jump back in because it was MY post that is now being misrepresented. I never said anywhere (and would never say as a blanket statement) that babies NEED to be nursed. All I said is that I wanted to nurse MY baby on take-off and landing and that is why I would never buy a seat for a baby. Given that all of my girlfriends were also given similar advice, I was curious as to whether there were nursing moms that chose not to nurse during landing and take-off -- and, as you have demonstrated, the answer is yes.

Would it be safer to be in a carseat? Probably. But, I'm not going to forgo nursing and comforting my daughter for that incremental increase in safety. At some point, the measures you take to increase safety (and you can always do so), no longer outweigh other considerations --- and reasonable minds (and moms) can disagree as to exactly where that line is drawn.

Finally, pecan pie is simply the best -- and no, reasonable minds cannot disagree on that one. :)

Good luck to all the moms to be on here. I have 2 more weeks to go to my scheduled date. This baby has threatened to come early, but I'm hoping she stays put till then.

Hey Tartemis,
Your next post will be #100 !! :cheer2:
And I like pecan pie too. And blueberry, apple, rhubarb, lemon, anything but cherry. No, I would definately pass on the cherry. I think it's the texture.. or just tthe taste... I dunno, but I don't like cherry. :flower3:

For the record, I completely agree with you, and I don't understand why women torture other mothers over their small parenting choices.:confused3
If you are spending the time to research a trip to WDW with your children, you are probably NOT the same parents locking your children in closets while you're using meth. I hate to see the word "neglectful" tossed around like that.:)

Sister you have no idea! Its been 2 weeks and Im only 50% thinned out. His big head is just not dropping down far enough so while Im having contractions on and off the keep stalling out without any progress. :confused: If they keep up then this weekend they will break my water but if they stall out again I will go Thursday for induction. But enough about big babies, I want PIE! :rotfl2:

Good luck to you, luckily my last labour was fast at 3 hours BUT the hefty beggar did get stuck...... twice. 1st his head and then his shoulders, 5 midwives pushing and pulling soon got him out. So I hope his head isn't that big and it all gets moving along for you soon.

and with regards to pie, I am dieting so I would really like some too.

Kirsten

Interesting tidbit here. Many years ago when my now 12 year old DS was an infant, I went on a Mommy and Me trip from Canada to California to visit relatives. My first time flying alone with a child of any age. My doctor, knowing I nursed suggested nursing on take off and landing on the chance that it could help prevent ear pain in him. I was occasionally offering him a bottle by that age and sometimes he would take it and sometimes not. So I packed bottles to try first and if not, then I'd nurse. Travelling alone, I never took a carseat because it was too much for me to lug around on my own (baby, diaper bag, purse, and my own carry on was enough). Just before take off, he was refusing the bottle, so I tried to nurse him. Then the flight steward walked by and told me I had to hold him up, Not cradled in my arms (can't remember if she said up and facing me or facing away from me), but either way, that meant I couldn't nurse him. He did not end up having any ear issues, but with this talk about nursing or not during takeoff and landing, I thought I'd share my experience.
Going to go have a slice of one of those pies I made.:)

careful what you wish for ;)

For my 100th post (Thanks to TinkerMom for the head up!), I'm going to wish for my 2 weeks and clarify -- I'm only 35 weeks now. My DD (now almost 2) was born at 33 weeks via emergency (vertical) c-section. So, with this pregnancy, they told me I have to have a mandatory c-section at 37 weeks (although I was able to get them to push it to 37 1/2 weeks). Just making it to 37 weeks will be a big accomplishment for which I will be grateful -- (I'm also grateful to be where I am now) -- but I do have a twinge of disappointment that I will not be able to deliver naturally and a little worried that my gal won't be ready at 37 weeks.

So, as miserable as you may be now -- may it give you a little comfort that others wish they were as far as long as you are. :)

Good luck!

For my 100th post (Thanks to TinkerMom for the head up!), I'm going to wish for my 2 weeks and clarify -- I'm only 35 weeks now. My DD (now almost 2) was born at 33 weeks via emergency (vertical) c-section. So, with this pregnancy, they told me I have to have a mandatory c-section at 37 weeks (although I was able to get them to push it to 37 1/2 weeks). Just making it to 37 weeks will be a big accomplishment for which I will be grateful -- (I'm also grateful to be where I am now) -- but I do have a twinge of disappointment that I will not be able to deliver naturally and a little worried that my gal won't be ready at 37 weeks.

So, as miserable as you may be now -- may it give you a little comfort that others wish they were as far as long as you are. :)

Good luck!

:hug: Im sorry you had to go through that. I wish you and your family a lot of luck. Enjoy your next few weeks and I am sure that your baby will be perfect! After going into labor at 22 weeks I never thought I would make it as far as I did and dont get me wrong, even though I tease about wanting him out, I would do it forever if it means he will remain safe. PLease keep us updated on how it all goes for you. :hug:

Tartemis, I had my youngest by c-section at bang on 38 weeks (by choice). He weighed 7 lb's 11 oz's. He was a full size baby but had no baby fat on him. He had tiny little chicken legs (thats what I thought when I first saw him), but he was beautiful and perfect and no health problems. So at 37 or 37 1/2 weeks, I'm sure your baby will be just as perfect and healthy. Best wishes to you and your family

OMG. Just flew home last night and all I have to say is..."gimme a screaming lap baby for free anyday!" We flew home sitting near the gassiest person ever. I say that living with 3 boys (well 2 men and 1 boy, but 3 stupid smelly gassy boys none the less). We got blasted 3 times. I ordered coffee just to hold it under my nose. Free ticket or full same day fare, that's just rude! Oh and just to cap off the fun, grandpa poopey pants came as sat by me waiting for the luggage.

So either I have crossed into a new perspective, or I have just found my line in the sand, but I have just discovered how much a screaming lap baby bugs me.

A screaming baby on a flight is going to bug me either way, no matter where they are sitting. Although I can't really blame them, planes make me want to scream, too.

We have always bought our children tickets for planes and put them in their carseats. I recommend it to everyone who asks or comes close to asking on these boards...no big secret here.

Ditto. I'm a safety nut, especially with carseats. And if you can't do the carseat for whatever reason, there's the travel safer vest :thumbsup2

But yesterday we had to sit right behind a family with a crying lap toddler the entire 2 hour flight. So here we has spent nearly $200 a ticket to fly and this crying toddler was flying for free.

Okay, I was with ya up until this point. :confused3

Paying ticket and crying, doesn't bother me (I don't think), but free and crying just got under my skin.

So, how does a paying baby sound? They must have a pleasant cry? :rotfl2:

Not only was she flying on mom's lap, but she was allowed to get off mom's lap, cross over her sister and brother and the isle into dad's lap during take off and landing...during! I figure she was so unhappy because she could tell just how neglected she was on this flight......

Well, considering that she is not in her own seat, nor is she obligated to be buckled it, they are allowed to do that. So, because they are following the rules of the aircraft, and their behavior just simply annoys you, that means they neglect their child? :eek: And the baby was crying because she knew she was neglected? :confused3 That doesn't even make sense. That would be like me being annoyed with you because you parked on the wrong side of the street and then calling you a child abuser. :rolleyes:

Responses in Red.

OMG. Just flew home last night and all I have to say is..."gimme a screaming lap baby for free anyday!" We flew home sitting near the gassiest person ever. I say that living with 3 boys (well 2 men and 1 boy, but 3 stupid smelly gassy boys none the less). We got blasted 3 times. I ordered coffee just to hold it under my nose. Free ticket or full same day fare, that's just rude! Oh and just to cap off the fun, grandpa poopey pants came as sat by me waiting for the luggage.

omg thats so gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the event of heavy turbulance, a carseat would protect a baby very well. In the recent crash of the plane in the Hudson, a kind stranger held a woman's baby, who didn't have a carseat. In the very rough landing they encountered, she very well might've lost that baby. My children have never flown without their carseats, and I never worried about crashing - just turbulance.

RE: Carseats. As was said, the issue isn't crashing - its turbulence. I've been in a number of flights lately where the turblence was enough to throw 150lbs of me out of my seat and throw me into my seatbelt. If I had a lapbaby I didn't have a good hold on (and if you can keep a good hold a squirmy toddler for a few hours, you are better at it than I ever was), that baby would have been airborne. I used to not really have an opinion on this, but my last few flights have really changed my mind - too risky, especially if its not a life or death sort of trip and a terribly tight money situation. If you are forgoing a ticket for a toddler to fit in a character meal, I think you are putting your child at risk unnecessarily.

You would never ride in a moving vehicle without a car seat. Everyone recommends a car seat.

(I have been on a turbulent flight where a baby flew out of a parents arms and went headfirst into the ceiling - that is a sound I will not forget.)

but I do believe that it puts the child at risk of serious injury. Anyone that has ever been on a really turbulent plane trip would probably agree..

Screaming babies on a flight don't bother me in the least - paid for or not..

However, when I went to Disney with my DD, her DH, and my 2 yr. old DGD in 2001, a ticket was purchased for her and we used her car seat.. Part of the reasoning behind it was the sort of things that are quoted above.. My SIL does not like to fly at all - nor does he like to spend money that he doesn't have to.. Because he has such an analytical mind (as well as a degree in engineering), he spent a good month researching the safety of "lap babies" as opposed to restrained babies/toddlers and came to the conclusion that if he wanted to provide the best possible safety measures for his DD on this trip, buying a ticket for her and using the car seat was the only way to go.. Their budget was tight - very tight - but as a matter of safety, they simply made cuts in other areas.. DGD was fine in the car seat, thought it was great that she was "flying through the clouds", and never fussed once.. She did complain about the "stale" animal crackers the airline handed out though.. LOL..

Sadly, while we were there, 9/11 occured..:sad2: When our vacation came to an end, my SIL flat out refused to put all of us on an airplane to come back home and made arrangements with our car rental company to drive the rental all the way back to NY for only $22.. Little did we know we would need the car seat not only for the flight down, but for the drive back! :eek:

We have always lived by one simple motto: "An ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure.."

I won't call anyone "neglectful" that makes a different choice - but I can't in good conscience say they are making the "safest" choice..

If you have a trip planned in the future, maybe you could start putting a few extra dollars away each week - so the financial strain of purchasing an extra seat won't hit you all at once.. Everyone wants what's best for their children.. Isn't safety (regardless of what the circumstances are - not just flying) at the top of most everyone's list? :goodvibes

my pie is better than your pie. My pie is the only kind of pie anyone should eat. If you don't like my pie, then you are unintelligent with no class and no taste. My pie rocks and everyone who's anyone eats it with their fingers.

Pie!?!?! You are horrible and neglectful, DYFS should immediately remove your children, sterilize you, and lock you up for 20 years to boot. Cake is the only way to go. Cake with lots of buttercream icing!

I'd never even heard of taking a car seat on a plane until I joined these boards before my last trip. It would definitely be a rare occurance here. I checked into it before we took our last flight to the US and we can do it but can't just show up at the airport with a seat. It means getting preapproval from the airline. We considered taking one for our dd last trip but she would have screamed blue murder if we tried to keep her in one. She's 4 now and still hates the seat in the car. It would have made a miserable 'longhaul' flight for the rest of the passengers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter