• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Scuba ar EPCOT

Belleandtinker

DIS Veteran
My DH and DS13 have a Padi card but not open water - whatever is before that. Can they scuba at Epcot?

Well its not open water so I would guess yes.
If I were you I'd be contacting Disney to find out though.

My family are all scuba divers, so they have dove at The Seas a lot. The Seas maximum depth is 30 feet and you will be under the direct supervision of a professional diver. I believe they are all PADI Professionals, but you could always find out for sure. I copied the excerpt from the PADI website so you know the difference.

Open Water Divers: can plan and execute dives with a certified buddy or dive professional to a maximum depth of 18 meters/60 feet.

Scuba Divers: may only dive under the direct supervision of a PADI Professional to a maximum depth of 12 metres/40 feet.

My family loves to dive here, it's well worth it!

Holy cow! I haven't dove in 20 years -- I had no idea they'd gotten specific on that stuff. What do you need to dive deeper than 60?

Sorry to continue off topic:
Holy cow! I haven't dove in 20 years -- I had no idea they'd gotten specific on that stuff. What do you need to dive deeper than 60?
The next PADI course is Advanced Open Water Diver which goes to 30meters/100ft. Some places combine it with a nitrox course too.

OP, the Divequest website is pretty vague, just says must be “SCUBA certified” and 10yrs of age. So I would think your family’s PADI cards should be sufficient but call in advance to check. The cards list a certification number so the instructors can verify where/when training was done.

You would need to be an Advanced Open Water certified scuba diver to go more than 60 foot.

The dives in the Advanced Open Water course are very different from those in your Open Water course. The Adventure Dives are similar to a regular dive, except that you focus on a particular diving specialty. The Deep Adventure Dive of the course involves diving deeper, between 18-30 metres / 60-100 feet. During the Underwater Navigation Adventure Dive you practice navigation skills underwater while diving.

You can take a specialty course for deep diving and go up to 130feet.

"open water" is the first certification level. If they did a class, pool time, and a set of "open water" (lake, quarry, ocean, etc) dives, they are certified divers and would qualify for the Epcot Divequest dives. Have your husband pull out the cards and see what they say.

And FYI, my husband has more than 200 dives and still ranks his dives at Epcot as some of his favorites. You would have fun watching them too.

PHXscuba

Purely a guess, but I would think a basic scuba diver card would suffice. Being that a dive master is present for the Epcot dives. But certainly double check.

I did this dive maybe 9 years ago and still go on about how great it was. It was a very comfortable, easy and memorable dive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter