SDFP: CHANGES COMING!! Beware the 7th of June?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! I purchased 5 different colors (I do follow directions!) :D
I followed directions too and have a ten year old twins named Red and Blue :tongue:

I am leaving next weekend and I am so glad I read this thread. Between SDFP and two in our party who have FP for rides they will not do, my DD and I will be in good shape. Hoping the SDFP will get those non thrill riders into no lines at more mild attractions with longer waits - Spaceship Earth I am talking to you!

Yes they are, well for the first 2 days. Then two people leave and the 5 bands are for 3 of us.

If each of the five MBs is a different color, that's fine. No harm done. You'll enjoy the rainbow.

But to clarify, the first post recommends that sets of bands be color coded. So the bands for the 5 real profiles would all be yellow. The 5 SDFP bands would all be blue. That sort of thing.

Remember that it doesn't matter which person in the group uses which SDFP band, since they're not used at park entrance (the one place where each person must use their own band). For SDFP, you just toss one band to each person indiscriminately. Color coding them individually would have no purpose. But color coding according to type could be useful. Someone (you) has to remind each person which band to use when entering an FP attraction. If the SDFP bands are all one color, you can tell them to get out their blue bands. Since you can't do that, be sure to mark each SDFP band with a large Sharpie. You could write SDFP on them. As you exit the ride, collect the SDFP bands to keep them together.

I did all one color for the SDFP bands but am allowing the kids to pick a color for their main band as we will have APs. I intend on hollering BLUE BANDS!! or COOL BANDS (I'll get stickers from magic your band) depending on the FP.

This might also work well for your rainbow of colors, actually. You could say stickered bands, or plain bands.

I did SDFP on our last trip successfully at magic kingdom. However, we did a lot crossing the park. For those that are experienced with scheduling, what are some good grouping strategies to combine some close attractions that might be available as SDFP?

Because my bands are all from family members not going on the trip, I couldn't color coordinate so I am getting Star Wars Magic Band decals (just small sillouhettes) from etsy to put on those. It probably wasn't necessary though bc I'm getting full decorated decals for our regular ones so I could've told the difference that way, but the small SW decals were really cheap, so I went with it.

I did SDFP on our last trip successfully at magic kingdom. However, we did a lot crossing the park. For those that are experienced with scheduling, what are some good grouping strategies to combine some close attractions that might be available as SDFP?

From the first post
How should I strategize the location of my SDFP choices?
Think Geographically

When you prebook your FP, pick attractions that are in either clockwise or counterclockwise order around the parks. For instance, one in Tomorrowland, then one in Fantasyland, followed by one in Frontierland. (Planning around your ADRS. You knew that.) Then when you choose your SDFP, select them in the same order - Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Frontierland -- that way you won't be crisscrossing the parks for FP times. Ideally, you'll have (for example) a prebooked FP for Splash Mountain at 2:00 pm followed by an SDFP for Big Thunder at 2:25 pm.

Considering trying this, since the only 7DMT FP I could get was 7-8pm so won't be able to try for a 4th FP. Just want to make sure I have this right. Also wanted to make sure this does not violate the TOS.

1. I have 2 old room/park cards with the black Mickey in the circle that were my child's, and they are NOT listed on MDE (also have 2 cards each for DH and myself from that trip that are ALL definitely listed on MDE). These first 2 should work, right?

2. I have 2 old-style MBs that belong to my ILs. They are NOT coming on this trip, and I do NOT have them linked as friends in MDE. They are, however, going on a new trip in a few weeks, and have new tickets linked (and they have received their new bands already). These old bands will work, right? I am worried about doing something to mess up their future tickets/FPs, but I'm pretty sure that won't happen as I understand obviously NOT to make a mistake and use these for park entry. Is this correct? Also concerned about the TOS and don't want to get anyone into any trouble just so we could ride the Tea Cups! :)

Considering trying this, since the only 7DMT FP I could get was 7-8pm so won't be able to try for a 4th FP. Just want to make sure I have this right. Also wanted to make sure this does not violate the TOS.

1. I have 2 old room/park cards with the black Mickey in the circle that were my child's, and they are NOT listed on MDE (also have 2 cards each for DH and myself from that trip that are ALL definitely listed on MDE). These first 2 should work, right?

2. I have 2 old-style MBs that belong to my ILs. They are NOT coming on this trip, and I do NOT have them linked as friends in MDE. They are, however, going on a new trip in a few weeks, and have new tickets linked (and they have received their new bands already). These old bands will work, right? I am worried about doing something to mess up their future tickets/FPs, but I'm pretty sure that won't happen as I understand obviously NOT to make a mistake and use these for park entry. Is this correct? Also concerned about the TOS and don't want to get anyone into any trouble just so we could ride the Tea Cups! :)

You can use the old room/park cards for SDFP. You can use your ILs MBs for SDFP. SDFP does not violate the terms of service because the FP are booked at a kiosk, not via your MDE. The only danger would be if you used one of the IL bands at the park entrance - but you are obviously well aware of that possibility which makes it unlikely. Since they have tickets, you could prebook FP on the IL bands in advance that you will intend to use yourself. However, to avoid violating TOS (not that Disney is going to penalize a guest or "get anyone into any trouble" in any case), you would want to transfer the prebooked FP one by one to your own MDE (after you use the FP you prebooked for yourself). This way, the FP would be used by profiles that were used to enter the park, which is what the TOS requests. This is kind of a pain. Might be better just to start fresh with SDFP that will coordinate with your own prebooked FP - and you could then use the IL bands for FP entry because only kiosks were used for booking, not MDE.

Oh my goodness I'm at the MK today and SDFP is AMAZING!!! Fast passing all the things. Thanks so much for this thread and help!

Edited to add: the park is crazy crowded and I've only been here since 2 pm yet I got SDFP for--
Big Thunder
Peter Pan
Haunted Mansion
Winnie the Pooh
Pirates
Jungle Cruise
Philharmagic

I'm a party of one so I'm sure that helps, but still-no standby lines for me today!

Last edited:
Oh my goodness I'm at the MK today and SDFP is AMAZING!!! Fast passing all the things. Thanks so much for this thread and help!

Edited to add: the park is crazy crowded and I've only been here since 2 pm yet I got SDFP for--
Big Thunder
Peter Pan
Haunted Mansion
Winnie the Pooh
Pirates
Jungle Cruise
Philharmagic

I'm a party of one so I'm sure that helps, but still-no standby lines for me today!

Thanks for posting this I was super curious on what people were able to get. If you go to HS let me know too if you don't mind. :) Great info!

I use touringplans to make a special touring plan. I let it optimize based on "least walking", but I ignore everything except the walking time. Then at the kiosks, I try to get whatever fits the plan. If it fits, I get the FP+.

I use touringplans to make a special touring plan. I let it optimize based on "least walking", but I ignore everything except the walking time. Then at the kiosks, I try to get whatever fits the plan. If it fits, I get the FP+.

Great idea thank you!! I am doing a half day at MK and a half day at HS so I saved my 3 FP for the afternoon in HS. I am going to go straight to the kiosks in MK and am hoping for BTMRR, Splash Mtn, and Buzz FP in the morning like first thing for BTMRR. Fingers crossed if that's avail!

Just got back and everything worked great on pairs we had!

Recapping a few observations, forgive that some is already in FAQ bit wanted to offer some real world observations.

1. There may be other similar tools, but TouringPlans Fast Pass Availability feature for subscribers was invaluable! They update current day hourly and next day in wee hours. It gives a great overview of where times are generally at and if all have been distributed for an attraction. This was useful on our first day arriving at MK in afternoon as I could see in advance what was NOT available and could modify plan before we entered the park. It's also helpful to see on attractions like Toy Story, Soarin' or Test Track of its worth trying to get to EPCOT or HS first thing based on how "deep" into the day FPs are available starting at rope drop or if they're totally gone.

2. If you're staying at the Swan, Dolphin, or Boardwalk Resorts the IG back entrance to EPCOT is awesome for getting Soarin' and/or Test Track around 8:40 when they let people in. There are 2 kiosks right near the IG exit that nobody else saw (they're actually in a poorly visible spot if you weren't looking for them). Twice I entered, booked one of them, and left the park so I could walk and take the bus to MK out of one of the resorts early enough to book another set at the City Hall kiosks (faster than walking through EPCOT, taking monorail, then taking the boat with hoardes of people waiting)

2b. Just be aware though that if you will be wanting to do rides in MK in afternoon on a reasonably busy day, don't be too cleaver by locking up a set of bands for another park, as they probably will have more value at MK. As an example, say you do #2 with a set so you can come back at night at EPCOT to do Test Track and save 60 minutes. Well, you are now locking that set from being used at MK where the opportunity cost may be better-- considering you likely won't find 3 attractions with less than a 20 min standby line each at MK where that set would be more valuable from a time standpoint.

3. Be aware if you try to book both Soarin and Test Track in the last 30 min the park is open with FPs, you will run great risk at missing one of them, so you might "waste" a set of FPs of you cut them too short late at night. We had a 35 min window and missed the second ride by far.

4. If the kiosk isn't busy (which I was surprised they weren't), then as has been mentioned try to see if you can get the attraction window you want with 2 people, then go back and try to get an overlapping reservation with the rest of your party. It took me about 20 min at HS around 945 to secure Toy Story for our family of 4 this way. There wasn't a line and I was waiting for my family, and just like fishing you have to be patient and you may hook that fish you want-- but it is easier to find availability the smaller the block of people you are looking for and find some times that have some overlap.

Last edited:
So I understand how to go about getting SDFP, and have used the kiosks before so I should be able to handle that. But I read some posts (from Dec 2016) that people were avoiding &/or turning down help from CM's with iPads. Is there a reason for this? Just thinking ahead that if there's lines at the kiosks should I turn down a CM's help?

So I understand how to go about getting SDFP, and have used the kiosks before so I should be able to handle that. But I read some posts (from Dec 2016) that people were avoiding &/or turning down help from CM's with iPads. Is there a reason for this? Just thinking ahead that if there's lines at the kiosks should I turn down a CM's help?

You can certainly let a CM help you. If you used humorous names for your phantoms, you might get a CM saying, "Which one of you is Mudblood" or whatever. They're certainly not going to confiscate your bands, even if they realize that you're booking SDFP.

But most guests would prefer to avoid a potential conversation about SDFP. Many CMs will tell you sincerely that they are sure such a thing is impossible - that a band will have to have been used at the park entrance in order to work at kiosks. That's what many of them believe. It's not your job to re-educate them -- and many of them will stick to their guns and argue (pleasantly) about it. Most guests find it simpler to just navigate and finagle the kiosk choices themselves, without a CM's help. Provided there's no line behind you, you might want to reload the kiosk screens several times to see what new availability shows up (since FP choices change literally every second) - asking a CM to do that for you would not be reasonable. The CM's time will be better spent with a guest who doesn't know how to use a kiosk.

You can certainly let a CM help you. If you used humorous names for your phantoms, you might get a CM saying, "Which one of you is Mudblood" or whatever. They're certainly not going to confiscate your bands, even if they realize that you're booking SDFP.

But most guests would prefer to avoid a potential conversation about SDFP. Many CMs will tell you sincerely that they are sure such a thing is impossible - that a band will have to have been used at the park entrance in order to work at kiosks. That's what many of them believe. It's not your job to re-educate them -- and many of them will stick to their guns and argue (pleasantly) about it. Most guests find it simpler to just navigate and finagle the kiosk choices themselves, without a CM's help. Provided there's no line behind you, you might want to reload the kiosk screens several times to see what new availability shows up (since FP choices change literally every second) - asking a CM to do that for you would not be reasonable. The CM's time will be better spent with a guest who doesn't know how to use a kiosk.

Thanks ScrapYap. I'm sure I can do it on my own, I just wanted to know if I needed to dive behind an attraction if a CM approached me. (Just kidding)

Ok - this person on eBay is going to think I'm crazy. She has 4 used/expired tickets for sale that I want to buy to do the sdfp. She says they are all registered to her but I'm trying to find out if they were just all in her Mde and used by 4 different people or all by her. Because they would all be clones if she used them all right? And then I couldn't use them for the 4 of us for sdfp right?

I'm trying to find out if they were just all in her Mde and used by 4 different people or all by her. Because they would all be clones if she used them all right? And then I couldn't use them for the 4 of us for sdfp
Correct - don't purchase them if they were all linked to her Profile line. She can always post a screen shot of her MagicBands and card area to prove where they are linked - then she'll think you're obsessive. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter