SDFP: CHANGES COMING!! Beware the 7th of June?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a hard time understanding something..... can someone *please <3* clarify for me!! We are annual passholders. we have a separate set of magic bands on a completely separate MDE that we use (currently) for SDFP. This second set of MB is under DH name and has never been assigned tickets. Are we completely out of luck now? I don't understand?? What do we have to do to be able to do what you guys are saying (phantom people, etc)? I would truly appreciate someone who can answer this for me!! thank you!!!
From what I understand, and this is subject to change, you need to "friend" those profiles in the separate MDE to your main MDE. Once those individuals appear in your main MDE, you can then use the MBs from the separate MDE to obtain SDFPs. Those SDFPs can then be transferred using the change party function in the app after your own 3 FPs have been used (or perhaps when they have expired).

From what I understand, and this is subject to change, you need to "friend" those profiles in the separate MDE to your main MDE. Once those individuals appear in your main MDE, you can then use the MBs from the separate MDE to obtain SDFPs. Those SDFPs can then be transferred using the change party function in the app after your own 3 FPs have been used (or perhaps when they have expired).

I apologize for reposting! But I did edit a question from the other day, and I'm hoping someone can explain how to go about doing this...

. I know it's too soon to tell, but I am hoping that non-ticketed bands may still be able to make SDFP at a kiosk and then be transferred to our real MDE account names via the friends and family feature.....so my question is this..in the event that it can be done.
EDITED
If I have all 6 of our "real" names loaded into our MDE account, how exactly do I "friend" my primary account with the dummy names non-ticketed MDE account with just linked bands?

** do I need to set up and email address and an individual MDE account for each of the 6 dummy names on the 2nd MDE account in order to friend them on my primary?

How exactly can I prepare to be able to transfer from the sdfp non ticketed bands to the ticketed names on my primary MDE account?

Last edited:

OK this is exactly what I thought was the case but I was confused about those "other bands" now being required to have tickets?? That's what I am mostly confused and concerned with bc our regular 3 "SDFP magic bands" don't have linked tickets.... So bottom line is, that the 3 magic bands that are associated with our second MDE DO NOT NEED TICKETS...they just need to be "added" to our NORMAL MDE (with the 3 Annual passes), and we can book FP for those too?

I posed this question yesterday as I've never used ticketed phantoms. It seems after transferring 1 FP from donor, leaving 2, the donor should then have an available FP slot to fill as the system would recognize this as having 3 available as opposed to the one-at-a-time rule that applies to 4th, 5th, etc.

If this is possible, I think it should just be a natural reflex to fill the donors FP slot after transferring to the recipient profile.

:thumbsup2
So what do we call this version then? NBCPSDFP? Hiro, ScrapYap, marciemi? What do you say? :rotfl2:

Wouldn't it be disturbingly funny if those of us whom enter the Parks on the 6th we're handed 3 random paper FP's at the turnstiles and they say here are your FP's for the day, FP+ is no more? :confused3

OK this is exactly what I thought was the case but I was confused about those "other bands" now being required to have tickets?? That's what I am mostly confused and concerned with bc our regular 3 "SDFP magic bands" don't have linked tickets.... So bottom line is, that the 3 magic bands that are associated with our second MDE DO NOT NEED TICKETS...they just need to be "added" to our NORMAL MDE (with the 3 Annual passes), and we can book FP for those too?
You can only book SDFP for them. You will not be able to book advance FPs at 30 or 60 days like you would with your APs. And you must change party to someone with a valid ticket that was used for admission in order for the transferred FP to be usable.

Am I weird in that I think I like the CPFP strategy better than the SDFP strategy? I would much rather use a system that is "kiosk-free".
It's only kiosk-free if you are using CPFP to transfer FP from someone in your group with a ticket attached to their profile for whom you have already reserved FP+. If you only have ticketless MBs or cards, you still need to go to a kiosk to acquire a SDFP.

:thumbsup2
So what do we call this version then? NBCPSDFP? Hiro, ScrapYap, marciemi? What do you say? :rotfl2:

Wouldn't it be disturbingly funny if those of us whom enter the Parks on the 6th we're handed 3 random paper FP's at the turnstiles and they say here are your FP's for the day, FP+ is no more? :confused3
Lol. I'll be honest though - despite all my testing, I still don't know what most of these acronyms are. Haven't figured out NBCP yet, although I'm sure it's been mentioned many times and only understood NBFP when someone else clarified it a couple pages ago. I just do the testing. :)

Am I weird in that I think I like the CPFP strategy better than the SDFP strategy? I would much rather use a system that is "kiosk-free".
I really don't care about SDFP going away since I rarely, if ever, use it other than for testing or to give some extra cards I have to people visiting so they can use it (since I don't trust them with my AP's). Not being able to use other AP's though for FP (at least as easily - will require lots more planning/coordinating of times) will be much harder since I rarely spend days in the parks, just a few hours and would prefer to book a couple overlapping FPP's in the same hour and move on.

Ah well, it is what it is and we'll all figure out the way to make the best of it with help from ScrapYap & Hiro I'm sure! :)

You're not weird. Unless weird is a good thing, then yes, you are!

I have a feeling SDFP will completely go away with the coming changes. It just seems counterproductive to me for Disney not to go to the source (that is to say the kiosks) and restrict FP booking without tickets. Why wouldn't they put their defense mechanism in place at the earliest possible location. Unless of course they're eliminating the Change Party function also. Which blows this whole thing out of the water anyway.

ETA: if you're Disney IT, don't read this.

Reactions: NEM
I have a feeling SDFP will completely go away with the coming changes. It just seems counterproductive to me for Disney not to go to the source (that is to say the kiosks) and restrict FP booking without tickets. Why wouldn't they put their defense mechanism in place at the earliest possible location. Unless of course they're eliminating the Change Party function also. Which blows this whole thing out of the water anyway.
I keep having that feeling too, although it's not what we're hearing. In the past we've been told they can't eliminate kiosks from accepting any bands/cards, etc., since so many people just buy their MB's at the park and would need them to work. But that doesn't make any sense to me since they couldn't be buying them in the park without admission into the park anyway. I really think it makes sense for it to be at the earliest location as well and check for valid tickets (just like it does online if you book in advance), rather than check for tickets (which it has to be doing for it to flash blue later), but NOT TELL YOU, and then make a CM deal with it at a ride. I guess I also realize they could always do away with the Change Party feature but as ScrapYap says, there are so many valid reasons for it that I'm hoping that won't happen with this change at least.

If not on the 5/6th, I am sure it will come eventually that you won't be able to do anything FP-related without associated tickets (including get them from a kiosk, change party, etc). As you and others have said, it makes no sense to WDW to let non-ticketed accounts acquire and move around FPs. It's only a matter of time (maybe will be part of next week's changes), and could happen quickly if WDW finds next week's efforts don't quell the abuse.

Ticketed phantom accounts though... what can they do? Not much, IMO. And they probably care a lot more about FPs obtained without tickets because tickets bring them $$$.

The skeptic in me thinks WDW is finally locking this down so they can sell extra FPs. Truth be told, I'd probably buy them. (ducks head)

You can only book SDFP for them. You will not be able to book advance FPs at 30 or 60 days like you would with your APs. And you must change party to someone with a valid ticket that was used for admission in order for the transferred FP to be usable.

Please bear with me- YOU HAVE BEEN AWESOME BTW and THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

So we WILL still be able to make SDFP with the same exact bands as we used before- the only difference now is that we have to link these phantom people to our real MDE? IS that correct? No linked tickets, just linked phantoms?

And the only way to do the advanced fastpass changes/switches is if we had them linked to tickets?

So we WILL still be able to make SDFP with the same exact bands as we used before- the only difference now is that we have to link these phantom people to our real MDE? IS that correct? No linked tickets, just linked phantoms?

No one knows for sure. It sounds like 'posters in the know' (Marciemi, ScrapYap) were told that it won't affect the kiosk. So most likely, you will be able to get SDFPs from the kiosk. To transfer them, the accounts must be linked to your ticketed profile. [Thus, bands bought from eBay or borrowed bands from a friend will become effectively useless].

And the only way to do the advanced fastpass changes/switches is if we had them linked to tickets?

Yes.

The skeptic in me thinks WDW is finally locking this down so they can sell extra FPs. Truth be told, I'd probably buy them. (ducks head)
I tend to agree. With the introduction of the $ MaxPass in DLR I think it is just a matter of time before WDW introduces some sort of paid option. I know DLR and WDW are completely different entities in terms of types of visitors and everything, but I see them trying to standardize more and more. I have spoken with someone "in the know" and MagicBands will be coming to CA very soon.

And I am already thinking I will probably bite the bullet and buy MaxPass. There may be an annual option and some people have fingers crossed it will automatically be available for some APs, but I would think only the Signature Plus (over $1,000) would get it.

No one knows for sure. It sounds like 'posters in the know' (Marciemi, ScrapYap) were told that it won't affect the kiosk. So most likely, you will be able to get SDFPs from the kiosk. To transfer them, the accounts must be linked to your ticketed profile. [Thus, bands bought from eBay or borrowed bands from a friend will become effectively useless].

Yes.
So say I purchased mb, and I had them linked to phantom names on a dummy made account without tickets. If I connected these names via friends snd family to my primary made account, wouldn't I be able to use those dummy bands to make sdfp at a kiosk and then transfer them via friends and family to the primary names? Hypothetically speaking

Hmm I just had a thought about CPFP with the new expiring tickets. Will you not be eligible to prebook FP+ once the tickets "expire" in MDE? Something to be tested starting 1/1/19? lol

I would guess yes. I have gold AP and MDE blocks me from making FP during Gold block out dates. I was considering making a last minute Christmas trip last year about 6 weeks in advance and realized the problem. I even called Disney to try to upgrade over the phone. They said I could only upgrade in person and until I did so would be unable to scheduled advance FP as I didn't have an eligible ticket linked to MDE. I would think the tickets with expiration dates would be coded similarly that MDE would recognize them as being ineligible for advance FP
I just thought of a question, that I'm sure has been asked before, but I can't find the answer...if you went the CPFP route with a ticket phantom, after the main profile has used up its' original 3 FP's, and you then transfer (CP) the first FP from the phantom (such that there are 2 FP's now remaining for the phantom) to the main profile, could you then add on a third FP to the phantom? Transfer FP, add FP, repeat...as long as you have used your initial 3 FP's on the main profile. Asumming this could work (and having a ticketed phantom), the convenient thing with this route vs SDFP/NBFP is that it can all be done on the app and you won't ever have to visit a kiosk...

Yes you can but in a tiering park it must follow tiering rules (so until you transfer the tier 1 under the donor profile you cannot schedule another tier 1 ride as he/she still has their original 3 FP and tiering rules will always apply

I posed this question yesterday as I've never used ticketed phantoms. It seems after transferring 1 FP from donor, leaving 2, the donor should then have an available FP slot to fill as the system would recognize this as having 3 available as opposed to the one-at-a-time rule that applies to 4th, 5th, etc.

If this is possible, I think it should just be a natural reflex to fill the donors FP slot after transferring to the recipient profile.
Sorry I meant to answer you yesterday then there were so many pages of posts when i came back I assumed you had gotten your answer by then. You can do this but subject to tiering rules at all but MK now.

I will be shocked if SDFP is still avail after this change on unticketed media/cards/bands...but it just might! Unless someone here is actually in the IT dept (could happen) and know for sure. It seems like it is practical solution to the same plague on early paper FP when your bank card, grocery card, etc allowed you to get a FP. If the paper FP knew there was a ticket attached, it seems weird to me that if they are making this change and not going to at least do the same. I will be interested to see the change reports in a week!

THE PARTY MAY BE ENDING VERY SOON!

- SDFP (Same Day FP) will reportedly no longer work to enter a FP attraction on or about June 6.

So the general idea is that Disney has figured out how to recognize a fp that wasn't attached to a ticket that was used to enter the park that day. And they will stop you at the fp touchpost. But am I correct that you think that the in park kiosk will still give fps to bands and cards that don't have tickets, even after June 6th? If they don't want you to use fp's that aren't associated to tickets that were used to enter the park then why would they still issue same day fast passes to ticketless bands at the in park kiosk?

I would guess yes. I have gold AP and MDE blocks me from making FP during Gold block out dates. I was considering making a last minute Christmas trip last year about 6 weeks in advance and realized the problem. I even called Disney to try to upgrade over the phone. They said I could only upgrade in person and until I did so would be unable to scheduled advance FP as I didn't have an eligible ticket linked to MDE. I would think the tickets with expiration dates would be coded similarly that MDE would recognize them as being ineligible for advance FP
Hmm good point about the APs. I have two non-expiring tickets still linked in MDE. I may just have to hold onto them.

So say I purchased mb, and I had them linked to phantom names on a dummy made account without tickets. If I connected these names via friends snd family to my primary made account, wouldn't I be able to use those dummy bands to make sdfp at a kiosk and then transfer them via friends and family to the primary names? Hypothetically speaking

Those of us that have vacations during the change and had planned to use SDFP are hoping it will work that way.

At first it doesn't seem like that would not be a big change but the key is that ALL 3 of the ticketed name FPs have to be used before you can use the CPFP. For those of us that have a hard to get late FP on our ticketed name, this changes how we had planned to do things and prevents us from getting any SDFPs for the afternoon. We are too close to the change date to change things around very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter