Sea Sickness Threat

So therefore, to keep you safe, and out of concern for your personal safety, :rolleyes1 I assign you the task of getting some Bonine ahead of time. Take it for a day or so, and then go have a few drinks, in the name of SCIENCE, to make sure it doesn't cause an issue for you personally. It's just a sacrifice you have to make, for safety. LOL.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I think I wore seabands for most of my cruise ten years ago. They are comfortable and I often forgot I was wearing them. I got sick on the last day because we went to a morning cocktail class. It's pretty steady so I'm confident this time that as long as I don't consume alcohol on an empty stomach, I'll be fine without the wristbands (I'll still have them, always carry them, and will definitely need them for any catamaran, sailboat, etc excursions).

I see you've been to WDW a few times. How do they do with rides? Do they take meds?

My DD11 does ok on roller coasters but not so much on spinning rides. My wife is the exact opposite, though she does suffer from epilepsy that cause a lot of issues anyway.

Do you remember about how much this costs?

Sorry I just saw this, Laughfreely, since you didn't "quote me". :sad1: It was under $50 for the acupuncture "seeds" done in the DCL spa by their acupuncturist. My DD swears they were a huge help to her. She did take Bonine as well. She has such bad motion sickness that we use every tool available to us that seems to help. :cutie: DD did say that she would be going to the spa upon boarding to get the seeds placed from now on, if she has not gotten an acupuncturist on land to do it right before sailing.

I find it helpful to remember that I’m on a ship at sea - which sounds stupid, but hear me out. The Disney ships are so beautiful, it’s easy to think you are in a posh hotel on land. Then when you see the curtains swinging in the theater or the ice cubes in your water glass sloshing around, it plays with your head. But don’t give into that head game: remember that you are on a constantly moving ocean, in a ship which moves, so everything in it must move, including you.

My DD who has suffered severe motion sickness since very small, says that it helps her enormously if she can see the horizon. And having a verandah for her to "get fresh air" she says helps as well, but I tease her that that is a good excuse to purchase an upgraded room! :cutie: She loves sleeping on the sofa bed with the curtains open, so that if she awakes, or when she awakes in the morning, she can readily see outside. Doesn't make total sense to me, but then I am blessed not to get motion sickness. I say, whatever works, right?

Ok, I’m nervous about sea sickness and this post has me convinced about trying Bonine. But, I have a VERY important question! I was reading the label and see that it mentions avoiding alcoholic beverages:guilty::sad2::furious:
Say it isn’t so?!?! Do all of you who take Bonine on the cruise not drink? I don’t plan on being hammered but was looking forward to some cocktails. However I’m usually prettt big on following rules/labels so I feel conflicted! Take Bonine & don’t drink? Skip the Bonine and pray I’m not sick and have a few cocktails? Or break the rules and do both?

I'm not a big drinker but in the past have had one or two drinks a day and not had a problem while taking Bonine.

I'm not a big drinker but I tend to have 2-3 drinks per day while on a cruise. I've taken Bonine and not noticed any issues. But I only take the Bonine at night before going to bed, and the issue with mixing Bonine with alcohol is it intensifies the sedative effect. So if you plan on taking Bonine during the day and having a couple drinks, you may want to plan on naptime.

DD has had a couple of cocktails daily while cruising and on Bonine with no apparent side effects. Not recommending this of course, but that has been her experience on a few cruises with Bonine.

I do the hula standing at the sink or while I’m shopping for at least two days after a cruise

That is HILARIOUS!!!! I got a great visual of that! :rotfl2:

Just came back from Disney Dream, same size ship as Fantasy. I am very prone to motion sickness and especially sea sickness. I have tried the seabands/acupuncture before on a smaller ship (Celebrity Xpedition)in the Galapagos (good weather so relatively calm seas) and that did nothing at all to keep me from turning green within 5 min of boarding. Only the scopolamine patch for behind the ear has worked reliably for me, which is what I brought. I've worn the patch aboard a catamaran in the wintertime on the open seas around Hawaii and it really helps minimize the seasickness there, where the waves can get very choppy.

For this cruise, I had the patch with me. I did not put my patch on immediately because I find it severely interferes with my palate (I believe it dries out your salivary glands so you'll be extremely thirsty AND tasting balance is off so bitterness is enhances and wine is not at all enjoyable).
There was a lot of motion on our way down to the Bahamas from PC, so I put the patch on right before our first dinner, around 8p, which was about 3 hrs after we set sail. I took it off two days into the trip because it was making me run back up to deck 11 multiple times a day for water. I could not get enough water! The effects lasted another 3 days once the patch was off; I could tell when my taste buds and thirst level returned to normal that the meds had run their course.

I chose a midship, mid-low deck cabin (6596). I never felt sick in my stateroom, though I could really feel the ship swaying and surging forward as I slept and we sailed that first evening. And I again felt swaying and surging on last evening as we hightailed it back to PC from CC, but I slept much better, since I was used to it. I would not have gone higher than Deck 8 nor lower than Deck 5, though. I ran around a lot with my son (playing Midship Detective) and I have to say that I actually felt the MORE swaying movement in the lowest decks, like when we were in the dining rooms (decks 2 and 3). One factor might be because on those decks, we didn't have windows out to the sea. And we could sometimes feel the engine vibrations. I could also feel the ship moving when we were in the Walt Disney Theater; we always sat in the balcony and it would sometimes feel like the entire loge was moving. Aside from those times, we completely forgot we were at sea and not in a real theater.

I usually felt better on an outdoor deck where I could see that we were moving, allowing my eyes and body to reconcile their two sensory inputs. Having a verandah was helpful for that very reason. So deck 11 and deck 4 outdoor areas were great go to spots.

And the trick I learned on the Galapagos cruise is that if you're feeling ill, get into a body of water -- a hot tub, a pool, a bathtub full of water -- then your body and eyes will be able to better reconcile their sensory inputs and you will feel better. (I was a neuro major so sorry for the slightly scientific slant to the advice.) You can get your wife into the Rainforest Room hot tubs and have her just chill out there for a few hours. Or even in the adult only pool. It really helps attenuate the seasickness.

On a side note, my son got very seasick on our catamaran out in Hawaii in December, where he took a kids Dramamine that knocked him out for a nap, and then he felt better, especially once we picked up speed after the snorkeling (where he did vomit and lots of fish flocked to eat it up). By comparison, he said he felt no movement while on this cruise, and he even slept in the bunk bed that comes down from the ceiling! I had Ginger essential oil on cotton pads for us, since Ginger helps with motion sickness. My son hated the scent and said it made him feel sick and not from the motion of the ship! hahaha So that's not a solution for everyone, but a good one to know. Ginger capsules is a less smelly way to get that effect though not everyone's tummies can take ginger pills (it is a spicy spice, after all).

So depending on your itinerary, time of travel, and sea conditions, your family may need something as strong as a scopolamine patch (by prescription from your doctor, not to be used on children) or something just mild like acupressure/ginger/bonine/dramamine. Additionally, there is a zapper watch on Amazon that does about the same thing as the SeaBands except with electrical zaps. For me, the electric shocking would be less uncomfortable than the pressure of those nobs on the SeaBand. I'm used to using a TENS unit at my old chiropractor so I actually enjoy getting zapped. LOL

When it is smooth sailing with good weather/calm waters, I discovered that I probably didn't really need "help" except on first night and I could have taken off that patch after just 24 hrs; I suspect SeaBands may have worked just fine but didn't bring to find out.

Have a great cruise and I hope it turns out that your family can sail just fine without motion sickness aids!

tasting balance is off so bitterness is enhances and wine is not at all enjoyable).
I am like this all of the time. I have a stronger sense of smell so I taste things more and bitterness is really strong for me. I hate wine and have no clue how people can stomach bitter stuff like Gin. It will make me barf. Beer is really really disgusting too.

I am like this all of the time. I have a stronger sense of smell so I taste things more and bitterness is really strong for me. I hate wine and have no clue how people can stomach bitter stuff like Gin. It will make me barf. Beer is really really disgusting too.

I wonder if this is my issue as well...strong sense of smell, sometimes some things taste bitter, although in more case very salty...and I don't drink. I don't find red wine bitter, just don't like the taste. But I love flavours and hate bland food.

I wonder if this is my issue as well...strong sense of smell, sometimes some things taste bitter, although in more case very salty...and I don't drink. I don't find red wine bitter, just don't like the taste. But I love flavours and hate bland food.

I am like that with food. I eat a wide variety of things. My hubby who can't smell a pile of poop under his nose only likes to eat bland meat and potatoes type of stuff. I wonder how things taste to him.

I am like that with food. I eat a wide variety of things. My hubby who can't smell a pile of poop under his nose only likes to eat bland meat and potatoes type of stuff. I wonder how things taste to him.

:rotfl2:

Actually, sometimes I wish I didn't have a strong sense of smell...

It's somewhat annoying when I say something and everyone around me thinks I'm crazy and smelling things that aren't there.

:rotfl2:

Actually, sometimes I wish I didn't have a strong sense of smell...

It's somewhat annoying when I say something and everyone around me thinks I'm crazy and smelling things that aren't there.

Me too!! It is actually quite horrible since strong smells like perfume and especially cigarette smoke gives me an instant headache. And with the strong sense of smell, I can smell them 20 feet away.

I just wanted to chime in for the fellow Canadians who were asking about Bonine alternatives- I’ve been ordering generic Meclizine for a few years now from Amazon. The brand name is Rugby and they do chewable, non-chewable, different strengths...everything. It’s not banned in Canada, it’s just that the manufacturer stopped producing it. Hope this helps!

I just wanted to chime in for the fellow Canadians who were asking about Bonine alternatives- I’ve been ordering generic Meclizine for a few years now from Amazon. The brand name is Rugby and they do chewable, non-chewable, different strengths...everything. It’s not banned in Canada, it’s just that the manufacturer stopped producing it. Hope this helps!

Your post HAS to be a big help to some folks, Pangyal! Thanks for posting for our Canadian friends with motion sickness! :thanks:

I think someone referenced this.

My wife says that while the Bonine worked for her, she thought a major side effect was that the food tasted bland all week. Did anyone else experience this?

My wife says that while the Bonine worked for her, she thought a major side effect was that the food tasted bland all week. Did anyone else experience this?

Bonine has been my DD#2's go-to for her severe motion sickness since she was a child and she has never mentioned that side effect.

Scientifically, you are going to feel the least amount of ship rocking on a low deck in the very middle (think of a seasaw). We have always stayed Deck 2, mid ship and have never had a problem. I take Bonine starting the night before the cruise, and each night thereafter. Triggers for motion sickness for me would be reading in the car, or looking at the phone in the car, or spinning rides. None of those are an issue for me on a cruise, so that is probably why I do fine. We sailed last September in waters that were VERY chopping due to a hurricane, and I was good. As far as "vibrations" on a low deck, that doesn't really cause sickness.

Like some of the other DISers, I swear by Bonine (Meclizine). My doctor recommended this for my motion sickness problems, and it works very well. I now have my whole family taking it. I get it for less than $4 a bottle at the Costco pharmacy (over the counter generic version). We start taking it a day or two before the cruise, and always at night. We never wake up sleepy/groggy in the morning, and I've yet to get motion sickness on a cruise since I started it (knock wood). I tried everything else before, and it either made me drowsy or it just plain didn't work.

This is what we do as well. My girls are very prone to motion sickness and before Bonine would throw up every car trip more than 2 hours. Why risk a $$$ vacation over $4?

My ex-husband was like this. He read somewhere that it was classified as being a "super-taster" (I found a Wiki link) -- stuff like beer, dark chocolate, coffee are all too bitter and unpalatable for people who are this classification.

I'm more of a super-smeller. I can smell almost *everything*; ions, cigarettes, many perfumes and especially synthetic fragrances (in deodorant, cleaning products, cheap candles) are nauseating to me. I think my friends call it "dog nose", like what many women experience during pregnancy. But I have it always. LOL

And when I mean ions, I believe it is called geosmin. I can tell when someone has been outdoors from their smell. Not joking. Or when you turn a deionizer on, I can smell the odor it gives off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter