• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sea World-Career Camp

stacyp9

DIS Veteran
Hi All!

My daughter is enrolled in the Career Camp-Resident camp at Sea World this summer. Checking in for tips and reviews of other people's experiences. She is over the moon excited and I am more than a little jealous. I want to come with!

My daughter did the day camp career camp a couple of years ago and loved it! I just registered her for the residential career camp this summer. She can hardly wait. Hope someone will give tips and reviews soon!

My son did the Orlando junior high career camp last summer. Great experience / very well run camp. The only disadvantage is that after seeing your kid's enthusiam and how great it is, you'll probably end up sending them every year and add this expense to your annual camp budget. This year for a similar, but slightly different experience (he's still in the Junior High age group), we are sending my son to the Sea World camp in San Diego, California. He's excited about this, as a dream of his is to get to see all three of the Sea World parks. To date, we've just been to the Orlando one. Please let me know if you have any specific questions about the camp. I'd be more than happy to share any information I have. I can't say enough good things about the experience.

my daughter is 8th going into 9th and she has been doing camps since she was small. started in san antonio but likes the orlando ones best. does 2 weeks. sea world then busch gardens. wants a career working with animals so hopefully a good investment. i know a lot of her co-campers are returning. they have lots of fun and i think cool that she has made some friends from different parts of the country.

fyi - we are from houston. i fly in with her. do a day or two at seaworld to make sure she is settled. fly home and then fly back to tampa to get her. she is 14 and i think i might let her do it alone this year. not because i want to, but because she is old enough to do it alone and seaworld/busch gardens have policies in place to get the kids on/off planes. she is a seasoned traveler and with cell phones I feel confident she could navigate this with ease. altho... i still would love to "accompany her" and do a day at seaworld followed by 2 days at disney all by myself (hello parades and all the attractions my kids don't ever want to do)!!. point is - I think seaworld/busch gardens staff do a fantastic job.

Hi All!

My daughter is enrolled in the Career Camp-Resident camp at Sea World this summer. Checking in for tips and reviews of other people's experiences. She is over the moon excited and I am more than a little jealous. I want to come with!

My daughter is signed up for the Career Camp this summer also. She will be going into 9th grade next year and she is going to the camp during the week of July 26-31. She wants to be an animal trainer(especially killer whales) so she is so excited. I am hoping to find another young girl going to the camp during the same week so that maybe they can meet online before getting to the camp.

My daughter is signed up for the Career Camp this summer also. She will be going into 9th grade next year and she is going to the camp during the week of July 26-31. She wants to be an animal trainer(especially killer whales) so she is so excited. I am hoping to find another young girl going to the camp during the same week so that maybe they can meet online before getting to the camp.

My daughter wants to work with animals as well. She's going into 7th grade but will be attending camp earlier. We just sent back the 90237802938 consent forms this week, lol.

It would be kind of cool if they could hook up kids that are going without friends online before camp. That would make it that much more fun.

For those that have done it already, can you help me out with respect to the sleeping bag thing? I'm from the north, our current sleeping bags are rated to -20. Obviously we won't need that in Orlando. Would a sleep sack be better or is it still cold in the exhibit areas that they sleep in?

Last summer, the one night they slept in the Wild Artic area (It's pretty cool in there) and the other night they slept in the Dolphin underwater viewing area. We purchased a summmer sleeping back and squishes down into a very small bundle and easily fits in a back pack, still leaving room for other things.

I am still working on the forms! Forgot about the sleeping bag. Guess we have to go shopping. My DD is going to the June 7th camp. Anyone else?

My son who is going into the 9th grade will be doing the San Diego Sea World overnight camp this year for teens going into 7th-9th grade August 1-6. These run Sunday - Friday. The Orlando one last year ran Monday - Saturday.

My daughter (10th grade next year) will be going to the career camp June 13-18 and would love to meet someone to talk about it before she gets there.
Anyone out there sending their daughter the same date?

:goodvibes
Hi All!

Hi Im new here but I have been going to seaworld camp for 4 years now. I started out at Expedition Camp. And now im 14 and going to career camp. if you have any questions about camp just ask me. I am going to San Antonio Career Camp June 13-18 if anybosy wants to join me I would Be Glad. P.S its sort of cold in the exibits but not too cold to were you need to bring a heavy sleeping bag. P.S.S im a guy.:goodvibes

Hello! I am considering doing the Career Camp at SeaWorld in Orlando this summer, but I'm having some hesitations. I'm 16, and I will be in 12th grade next year.
I love animals, and will probably be a Pre-Vet major in college. This camp sounds amazing, but I'm not sure about some things. I've looked all over the internet for more information, but I can't find any.
I'm very uncertain about the length - will a whole week be overwhelming? And I'm also wondering about sleeping arrangements and meals and that sort of thing.
Could anyone who has done this camp before (preferably the high school age level one) possibly take me through what a typical day was like?
Thanks so much! :)

fyi - we are from houston. i fly in with her. do a day or two at seaworld to make sure she is settled. fly home and then fly back to tampa to get her. she is 14 and i think i might let her do it alone this year. not because i want to, but because she is old enough to do it alone and seaworld/busch gardens have policies in place to get the kids on/off planes. she is a seasoned traveler and with cell phones I feel confident she could navigate this with ease. altho... i still would love to "accompany her" and do a day at seaworld followed by 2 days at disney all by myself (hello parades and all the attractions my kids don't ever want to do)!!. point is - I think seaworld/busch gardens staff do a fantastic job.

Can someone tell me if they meet at the gates or do they meet somewhere in the airport. I really would like to send my DD(14) but have always wondered about this.

Can someone tell me if they meet at the gates or do they meet somewhere in the airport. I really would like to send my DD(14) but have always wondered about this.

Sea World staff (and all other non-fliers) are not allowed in the gate areas. The kids meet up with their rides in the main terminal by the sea world gift shop.

I have a few more questions for those that have gone there.

1. Is there a place to store things like a cell phone and camera so she doesn't have to haul them around all day?

2. If a hurricane is in the forecast, what happens to their day?

Whether or not your child/teen is met at the gate depends on whether they are flying as an adult or dependent minor. On Southwest, you are an adult once you are 12, so my 13 year old last summer wasn't met at the gate, but just went to the Sea World gift shop to meet up with everyone. He was a little nervous -- first time not being met at the gate, but did great and texted me about all going on. He had a cell phone and I told him I'd make sure I had my phone with me when he'd be landing if there was any confusion and he could call me.

Call the camp for more details.

2. If a hurricane is in the forecast, what happens to their day?

I honestly don't have a clue about what the camp would do, but I am from Florida myself, and so I would assume that if a hurricane is scheduled to hit anywhere near Orlando at the time of a certain camp, you would be notified the week before and probably be able to reschedule.

Hi! My daughter went to the June 7-12th residential career camp for 7-9th graders. She said it was the best week of her life. When I picked her up on Saturday morning she wanted to stay for another week. They spent the first night at the Wild Artic exhibit by the polar bears, 3 nights at Residence Inn (only 2 in a room so each had their own bed) and the last night was spent at the dolphin exhibit. My daughter is very interested in Sea Lions and was thrilled that they got to talk to one of the Seaworld Sea Lion Trainers. She did not know any of the other campers whe she arrived, but left with friends from many states as well as Puerto Rico and England. She can't wait to go to the career camp for the high schoolers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter