Sea World! CONVINCE ME!

mystic_path

DIS Veteran
My family (No kids as I am the youngest at 29) is going to Disneyland at the end of August, and they want to take a day trip into San Diego to see Sea World. We have a local aquarium where I live in Vancouver, BC however its just OK, its not that big or overly spectacular. You can see the whole place in 2 hours. The dont have any shows other then a dolphin show which is 10 minutes or so long.

My family is excited to check it out Sea World as we have never been there before. However I try to make myself excited around them, but inside I am extremely apprehensive about going due to the fact that I dont want to pay for an excursion, drive all that way to find that I can see the whole thing in 3 hours when I am there for 6 or 7, or find the park mostly geared more toward the little ones. Do you need a whole day to see SW? What are some things that are really cool that are worth checking out? I heard rumor that for $20 or so you can feed a dolphin or something? I also heard they have the new Manta roller coaster and they have a few other rides which is cool. I think I just need a pick me up to let me know I am not wasting time or money.

Here's my thoughts on SeaWorld SD. We love it, we live in Calgary and have had season passes for 8 or 9 years.
We've been there every Aug for 11 years now, going again this summer. Only been to DL twice in that time, my ds15 enjoys it but not enough to go more often. Two years ago he chose Knotts over DL and he and his buddy loved the little lineups and went over and over on the coasters.

As much as we've gone we can still spend an entire day, do the all day dining deal and others days we just go for a few hours.

You definitely can't see or do everything in 3 hours. The shows are spaced out so you can see most of them in the day. A few shows do a different act in the evenings. There's only a few rides, if it's hot there'll be lineups.

It's not as hot as DL (not by much). Busy but not as busy as Disney.

You'll never know if you don't go at least once. If you don't like it you don't have to go back. And where else can you feed the dolphins and sea lions.

Thank you. That's a good point and that is what I keep telling myself. Go and I cant kick myself later. But I am happy that it will take me more then 3 hours to see it all. For that I know I wont be wasting my day if I just take my time. :goodvibes

I live in San Diego, and have a membership to Sea World. I go about once a month (as things change) and I have spent as little as 2 hours but on the other hand, I have also spent 8 or 9 hours there. It really depends on how much time I spend looking at the different tanks, peguins, polar bears, etc.

If you have not been there, you can easily spend 6 or 7 hours, especially with the shows.

The shows will fill up your day, and they are worth seeing. When you go to the Clyde and Seymore show, make sure you get there pretty early and watch the guy who is "cleaning" in the audience.

The shows will fill up your day, and they are worth seeing. When you go to the Clyde and Seymore show, make sure you get there pretty early and watch the guy who is "cleaning" in the audience.

:rotfl: The guy cleaning in the audience? :rotfl: Sounds like a good time to me. Worth every penny. HAHAHAHAHA! :rotfl: But good to know about getting to the shows early and all the other suggestions. It is good to know I wont be wasting my time.

Has anyone dined with Shamu? Just wondering what the food is like there and if it is a good source of entertainment with the whales and trainers.

My Husband and I did it about 5 years ago. The food is served buffet style, and not bad. You are mostly paying for the whales to be right there. The fun thing is that the trainers will come over and do a couple of sessions with the whales while you eat, which is awesome. The only downside, was if you are close to the railing, you may get wet (but then go get a second plate of food)

Seaworld is great. As someone who loves going to aquariums but hates how, much like you said, the experience is over within 2 hours, I think Seaworld is a lot of fun. There is an excellent mix if shows, rides and aquariums. If you do go, have a great time!

I have to admit the dine with Shamu looks pretty awesome. However I thought I read that there was a menu and not a buffet. What kind of foods do they serve at the buffet? I am not that picky of an eater but my dad certainly is.

Thanks for all your replies everyone! :thumbsup2

Its easy to spend 6-8+ hours at Sea World. Theres numerous aquariums throughout the park, penguin, shark and other exhibits that will take quite a bit of time by themselves.

Theres 5 shows that are must sees. The sea lion show as well as Shamu also have night time versions that are different than the day time. The sea lion show has a pre-show which starts 15 minutes before posted show start time so arrive earlier.

Journey to Atlantis and Wild Arctic usually have short to moderate lines. Shipwreck Rapids will have a VERY long line in afternoons on sunny warm days.

There will be a huge crowd lined up for the 3D movie. Ask a CM when arriving but generally the entire crowd will fit in the theater as its fairly large.

If available you might look into the all you can eat dining plan. It can save money if you'll be eating at least 2 full meals plus drinks throughout the day.

Don't try to drive to SW for the day and return to DLR the same day. Spend at least one night in SD to stay relaxed and not rushed. Great beaches in SD as well. We love Mission Beach or Coronado.

Its easy to spend 6-8+ hours at Sea World. Theres numerous aquariums throughout the park, penguin, shark and other exhibits that will take quite a bit of time by themselves.

Theres 5 shows that are must sees. The sea lion show as well as Shamu also have night time versions that are different than the day time. The sea lion show has a pre-show which starts 15 minutes before posted show start time so arrive earlier.

Journey to Atlantis and Wild Arctic usually have short to moderate lines. Shipwreck Rapids will have a VERY long line in afternoons on sunny warm days.

There will be a huge crowd lined up for the 3D movie. Ask a CM when arriving but generally the entire crowd will fit in the theater as its fairly large.

If available you might look into the all you can eat dining plan. It can save money if you'll be eating at least 2 full meals plus drinks throughout the day.

Don't try to drive to SW for the day and return to DLR the same day. Spend at least one night in SD to stay relaxed and not rushed. Great beaches in SD as well. We love Mission Beach or Coronado.

Thank you so much. I am not gonna be driving, I am going on a Gray Line tour from Anaheim. However I may actually just go back to the hotel and jump in the hot tub when I get back. Keep it a relaxed day. But great info on the meal plan, the ride lineups etc. I will take all that into account. :)

The new Manta coaster has gotten very positive reviews from coaster enthusiasts so that's guaranteed to be fun.

I visited there back in 2008. Surprisingly, one of my favorite shows there was "Pet's Rule". The performing dogs and cats are awesome! Don't miss it! I also loved the dolphin show, the high jumps they do are amazing. We didn't do dining with Shamu but we did do the boxed lunch thing with reserved seating. The food was pretty good as I recall.

If you've never been before you should have fun.

:rotfl: The guy cleaning in the audience? :rotfl: Sounds like a good time to me. Worth every penny. HAHAHAHAHA! :rotfl: But good to know about getting to the shows early and all the other suggestions. It is good to know I wont be wasting my time.

The "cleaning" guy is part of the show. Trust me on this.

The "cleaning" guy is part of the show. Trust me on this.

Thats Biff, a character played by one of the SW CM's. His pre-show is hilarious.

The Sea lion show has always had a pre-show for decades. The first was a mime/comic who entertained the crowd and became quite famous.

Sea World in San Diego is amazing. If you go, you will not regret that you went.
It isn't something that you'll be bored with in 3 hours. It is a very large park with many different exhibits.

Whenever I have been there, I've always been from open to close. You won't want to leave.

Also, I've done dining with Shamu. I don't remember the food being spectacular, but it's pretty good. The area was nice, and it was neat to sit near the whales. We did it on our honeymoon, and I'd recommend it if you want some quiet time to be near whales.

Well ok... I purchased my ticket to Sea World via Gray Line Tours. I also purchased the Dolphin encounter where you go up to the side of the tank with a trainer and do some tricks with the dolphins, you get to touch them, have a picture etc. I wanted to do the Beluga experience where you get into the tank with them, but my mom wanted to do something with me without getting into the tank. :rotfl: So we got this package. I opted not to do the dining with Shamu, because we are already doing something that requires a reservation. I guess I am just going to wing my day there. I am feeling more confident that this will be a good day and I wont regret a thing.

Mystic Path you'll have a great day.
We've never done either the dolphins or beluga tours but they both look wonderfull. We've seen the people on the begula one lots and it looks incredible hench the big price tag.
We have done most of the other tours and completely enjoyed them all.
Don't miss the sea lion or pet's rule shows they're the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter