Sea World or Universal for 2 and 4 year old?

tomker

Earning My Ears
HI, we will be in Disney in May and have DS2, DD4, DS 14 and niece 18,the 14 and 18 year olds are thrill seekers so to break way from the disney atmosphere I told them I would take them to universal, my dilema is that I think my 2,4 yr olds would not like universal, Im thinking there is not enough to keep young ones busy, can you prove me wrong? so im thinking of seaworld because I know all would enjoy Shamu and the shows as well as the older ones having the abilty to ride the roller coaster, roller coaster. Any Thoughts? should I just keep the disney thing going?

My 3 year old(almost 4) DD is autistic and we have passes for the last 2 years as she just adores Seaworld. This is one of the very few places where she is just so passive and attentive.

While I'm not a big fan of Sea World (I can only take so much watching big, big fish jump out of the water through hoops), Sea World has definitely upped the "high-speed" quotient in recent years.

They have Kraken which is a looping roller coaster with minimal lines, because, like your family, many people visiting Sea World are with young kids.

They also have Journey to Atlantis which is a water coaster, along with some kind of simulator set to an Arctic flyover after which you see polar bears and penguins.

I would skip Universal - which really has nothing for kids as young as yours - and try Sea World. The older kids should be pleased.

Most of the rides at Universal have a height requirement that would not suit a 2 and 4 year old. Also, some of the rides are very intense. :scared1: I went when my son was 3 and regretted the fact that he could not go on most attractions. He's eight now and old enough to enjoy the park, but my daughter is 4 and I'll spend all day explaining how her brother can go on the rides but she can't. :sad2: We'll wait until she's around seven before going back to Universal.

Seaworld is a beautiful park (sorry!!!! :confused3 Disney is still my favorite I promise!!!:flower3: ) and is really an enjoyable day for both adults and kids of all ages.

would skip Universal - which really has nothing for kids as young as yours - and try Sea World. The older kids should be pleased.

Actually USO has plenty geared toward and/or appropriate for preschoolers

All of rides attractions in Seusslanding
Barney play area and Show
Curious George Play area
Camp Jurrasic
Jurrasic Park Discovery Center
Flying Unicorn
Woddy Woodpecker coaster
Fival Play area
Shrek
Jimmy Neutron

the 4 yr old also might enjoy Spiderman and MIB (my DD has loved both since she was old tall enough to do them)

I think the 14 and 18 yr olds will be bored silly with SW after an hr (long enough to ride Kraken and Atlantis and look around a bit)

Curious George Play area
Camp Jurrasic
Flying Unicorn
Woddy Woodpecker coaster
Fival Play area
Shrek
Jimmy Neutron

the 4 yr old also might enjoy Spiderman and MIB (my DD has loved both since she was old tall enough to do them)

I think the 14 and 18 yr olds will be bored silly with SW after an hr (long enough to ride Kraken and Atlantis and look around a bit)

While I personally would go to Universal over Sea World in a second, I still think that the 2 and 4 year old would be disappointed with the attractions listed above. I cannot disagree with you that the older kids would get bored silly with Sea World, but sometimes (as I know from my childhood), you've gotta take one for the team. At least Sea World does have some older skewing rides now.

From my standpoint, what sets Universal apart from Disney (and not in a good way, in my opinion) is the lack of "family" feeling I get from there. Don't get me wrong, their ET ride is one of my favorite theme park attractions anywhere and it would certainly appeal to a younger crowd, but I still think that young ones would be better occupied at Sea World. I say the above as a person that enjoys Universal (I'm not a Universal basher), but I also say so believing that Universal is not a park I would take my kids to until they were at least 10-12.

However, honestly, I would skip both and just spend more time at Disney. Lord knows that there's plenty for the 14 and 18 year old to do there, too.

Here's a thought, though. How comfortable would you be with dropping your 14 and 18 year olds off at Universal, you enjoying your day with your young ones at Disney, and then picking up your kids at Universal in the late afternoon? Granted, it's not an idea for everyone and if your kids have never been to Universal before I wouldn't recommend it. However, if they're somewhat familiar with it, in this cell phone age that we live in, it would just be a 15 minute tops ride to pick up your kids whenever they're ready. Obviously, this is an "out-there" idea for some, but if your kids are familiar with the park and you feel that they are responsible enough, it is a thought.

Definately Sea World. Great park, great shows. I think your little ones would get upset by the limited attractions for them at Universal.

I think USF and SW are a great way to add a little non-disney variety to a spring/summer vacation:banana: Something for everyone at both places. Personally, I wasnt so impressed with the origional USF park:confused3 but the IOA addition~ WOW:yay:

Curious George Play area
Camp Jurrasic
Flying Unicorn
Woddy Woodpecker coaster
Fival Play area
Shrek
Jimmy Neutron

My youngest was 18 mos or so when we went and couldn't even ride the train in suess landing, and she is a pretty tall little girl for her age. She did however LOVE Seaworld to death- both days we went there.

I've always been bored with SeaWorld, personally. Of course, I'm a native local and I've seen those animals roughly a thousand times, so take that for whatever it's worth. I'm not necessarily a "thrill-seeker." In fact, I don't even ride looping coasters (check Kraken off the list.) But as your average 20-year-old theme park enthusiast, I need actual rides to sustain my interest. Frankly, I'm not exactly bowled over by SeaWorld's selection.

Out of all the simulators in Orlando, Wild Arctic gets me the sickest. The video isn't synched with the movements at all. The only redeeming quality of this attraction is... the animals. Naturally.

Journey to Atlantis was an admirable attempt at a legitimate marquee attraction, but compared to it's competitors, it's pretty substandard. Especially considering how much worse it's gotten since opening year. But that's Busch's maintenance standards for ya. I won't even go into the disaster known as Busch Gardens. :scared1:

My suggestion would obviously be Universal, mostly for the sake of the older kids (I'm age biased, you know.) Contrary to the (often misinformed) opinions you'll get on this board, there are still things perfectly appropriate for the little ones to do at Universal. Actual rides, among other things. All they'd be doing at SeaWorld is watching the animals. SeaWorld has three full-size rides, all of which are thrill rides. The young ones can't ride them and the older ones will be done in an hour, tops. There are kiddie rides, but they are all of the barely themed traveling carnival variety. Quite Six Flags-ish.

Universal is not a park I would take my kids to until they were at least 10-12.

Gee, I sure hope they don't like any of Universal's kiddie properties (which there are more of than many would like to believe.) They won't be able to enjoy any of them by that point. :rolleyes1

Besides Happy Harbor, could someone explain what else there is for 2-4 year olds at Sea World? Personally Sea World would be the last place I would take kids that young and I really like Sea World.
I haven't been to Universal since 1998 but it would seem that with all the theming and characters, even if they rode nothing it would be visually stimulating. I would think Dr. Seuss, Barney, Curious George, and Fivel would win out over Happy Harbor.

There are plenty of things for 2 and 4 year olds! Polar bears, beluga whales, penguins (I could watch them all day!), seals, dolphins - real animals, and not just dressed-up ones.

I haven't gotten over to SW myself in over a year, but I really do enjoy it when I do. I enjoyed Sea World as a teen also, even without any rides that I can think of (they do now have some large ones). Personally, I'd do Sea World. It isn't that there isn't anything for little kids to do at Universal - so if you went, I don't know that your little ones would be bored. But I think that SW is more entertaining in that sense.

We went to US/IOA last year with DS3 and DS4. They had a blast. I would like to elaborate a little about some rides/lands.
Seuss Landing:
The Cat in the Hat ride
One Fish, Two fish- similar to Dumbo but you will get wet)
Caro-Seuss-El- Carousel with Seuss characters
If I Ran the Zoo- interactive play area
High in the Sky Trolley- train ride above Seuss Landing
Character Meet and Greets- Cat in the Hat, Thing 1 and 2, Grinch, etc.

The Flying Unicorn- a little bit wilder than Goofy's Barnstormer

Jurassic Park:
Discovery Center- Interactive displays, including a machine that morphs your picture with a dinosaur.
Camp Jurassic- Interactive play area with slides, rope bridges and caves.
Pteranodon Flyers- overhead glider ride

Me Ship, the Olive- Play area

Super Hero Island- Character Meet and Greets with Spiderman, Wolverine, etc.

Universal Studios:
Animal Planet Live- Amphitheater show with animals and trainers
E.T. Adventure- Ride a bike to help save E.T.
Fievel's Playland- play area that includes a rubber raft water slide for two.
Barney- Show and play area
Woody Woodpecker- similat to Barnstormer
Curiou George- Water filled paly area
Jimmy Neutron- simulator ride, they have stationary seating for the little ones
Shrek 4-D- show
Plus they have many character meet and greets-Dora, Jimmy Neutron, Shrek and Donkey( who is the best thing there), etc.

I think you would have a lot of fun at US/IOA. They also have baby swap if there is something that you would like to do. Good Luck

For all of you who are complaining about nothing to do at Universal for kids....when is the last time you went? I have two kids, and have been both a disney AP and Universal AP holders for about three years now. They both prefer Universal to disney. As my son says "Lines stink, can we go to Universal?" My kids are 5 and 9, and that means that we've been going since they were 2 and 6. There has been plenty to do for both for all three years. I would definately recommend it for all ages, and would recommend doing a little homework before throwing it in the fire......like maybe going over to the Universal sides of the boards.

There are tons of great things to do at both Universal & IOA.
As long as your group is A-OK with splitting up and letting the older kids do their own thing, the group with the younger kids will STILL have plenty to do (especially if you are going to try and do both parks).

If you are just going to do USF then it might be a little harder (even the older kids will probably REALLY want to do Islands of Adventure). Get the 2 park pass...I think it will make everyone happy.

The Animal Actors on Location show is great for everyone. Kids of all ages, adults...it's just really cute.

The younger kids will love the Curious George play area, Fievel's Playground, and a day in the park w/Barney and Woody Woodpecker's coaster is a lot of fun.

E.T. is a GREAT ride (and the queue is amazing) and everyone can ride Jimmy Neutron (if the kids are too small they have stationary seating).

And at Islands....Seuss Landing is amazing. So bright & vibrant....tons of fun things to do there.

There is a Sinbad show that has some explosions but if your kids are not averse to loud noise it's a lot of fun and the characters come out afterwards and ham it up with the kids. Usually give them 'gold' coins. Fun!

Marvel Island is great for characters. Popeye's ship is fun. The Camp Jurassic is awesome. My kids could have played there all day. It has big dinosaur footprints you can step on and hear dinosaurs. Slides, water squirting area.....just a lot of fun.

Hmmm....looks like plenty to keep everyone happy for a day! :thumbsup2
Give it a try....have a great time.
The Universal Orlando website is great. They have a lot of pictures and you can even get a virtual ride on quite a few rides.

www.universalorlando.com

Here's a link of suggested things to do with kids at IOA
http://www.universalorlando.com/ioa_attr_children.html

We went for five days this past November and my kids can't wait to go back.

My DDs (now 10, 8 and 5) have been going to US/IOA since they were each 2 mos. old. We always find plenty for them to do. They would spend the entire day at Curious George's play/water area if we'd let them. I'm always surprised to hear people say that there is nothing for kids to do at US/IOA. Oh well, to each his own, I guess.

I've always been bored with SeaWorld, personally. Of course, I'm a native local and I've seen those animals roughly a thousand times, so take that for whatever it's worth. I'm not necessarily a "thrill-seeker." In fact, I don't even ride looping coasters (check Kraken off the list.) But as your average 20-year-old theme park enthusiast, I need actual rides to sustain my interest. Frankly, I'm not exactly bowled over by SeaWorld's selection.

I can't disagree with you. As a 26-year old guy, Sea World bores me. But...

Journey to Atlantis was an admirable attempt at a legitimate marquee attraction, but compared to it's competitors, it's pretty substandard. Especially considering how much worse it's gotten since opening year. But that's Busch's maintenance standards for ya. I won't even go into the disaster known as Busch Gardens. :scared1:

I can't disagree with you there either. I HATED Journey to Atlantis. But, I thought I was the only one...go figure. But...

My suggestion would obviously be Universal, mostly for the sake of the older kids (I'm age biased, you know.) Contrary to the (often misinformed) opinions you'll get on this board, there are still things perfectly appropriate for the little ones to do at Universal. Actual rides, among other things. All they'd be doing at SeaWorld is watching the animals. SeaWorld has three full-size rides, all of which are thrill rides. The young ones can't ride them and the older ones will be done in an hour, tops. There are kiddie rides, but they are all of the barely themed traveling carnival variety. Quite Six Flags-ish.

I still think that kids, for some reason, are enthralled by animals. Maybe it's just me, but I remember my brothers loving this park (same with my little cousins a few years ago), while I sat there bored out of my mind. I guess what this comes down to is, who are you trying to make happier. The older kids or the younger ones. If it is the younger ones, I think Sea World is a better choice -- if they like animals. If it's the older ones, Universal without a doubt.

Gee, I sure hope they don't like any of Universal's kiddie properties (which there are more of than many would like to believe.) They won't be able to enjoy any of them by that point. :rolleyes1

No one's going to change my mind that Universal has enough geared towards kids. I'm not a parent yet, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but two play areas and a kiddie coaster (and some other things that I'll list below)do not equal what Disney has to offer. Like I said before, ET is one of my favorite rides in any theme park, but the Woody Woodpecker roller coaster is not going to draw me in. I despise Shrek (and will hopefully pass that hatred on to my kids ;) ). Hanna Barbera's simulator was infinitely better than the Jimmy Neutron one they have now. Suessland can be enjoyed by all, not just by the very young. I guess my point is that, as is evidenced by your post as well, as youth get older, they tend to be bored more easily with Sea World. As they get older, there is more to enjoy at Universal and less to enjoy about Sea World. A 9-year old can still enjoy ET or (god-forbid) Shrek or the Cat in the Hat ride just as much as a 4 year old, but that 9 year old can also appreciate Men in Black and Jaws and Ripsaw Falls more, too. I mean, why not see Sea World when young kids can enjoy it.

I realize it's a matter of taste and I'm not stating these things to try to sway your opinion, but it's simply my opinion. A 2 and a 4 year old are going to miss out on some of the best attractions Universal has to offer. Like I said before, I'd just stay at Disney...but if I had to choose another park to go to with 2 kids below 5, I'd pick Sea World.

But, back to the OP, I still think it matters who you're trying to make happy by leaving Disney -- the older ones or the younger ones. Sure, there are things that the young ones will find to do at Universal, but I still think there will be more for them to enjoy at Sea World.

For all of you who are complaining about nothing to do at Universal for kids....when is the last time you went? I have two kids, and have been both a disney AP and Universal AP holders for about three years now. They both prefer Universal to disney. As my son says "Lines stink, can we go to Universal?" My kids are 5 and 9, and that means that we've been going since they were 2 and 6. There has been plenty to do for both for all three years. I would definately recommend it for all ages, and would recommend doing a little homework before throwing it in the fire......like maybe going over to the Universal sides of the boards.

I can relate. I told my DS3 and DS4 that we were going to Disney for christmas and they said they didn't want to go. They wanted to go back to Universal. And you are right about the lines. We got there early every morning and had Suess Landing to ourselves for the first hour. We have a video that shows the Grinch playing with my two kids for about 15 minutes. They loved the attention. Plus, you can't beat the deals on tickets.

never mind... no sense in aruging with people blinded with pixie dust

never mind... no sense in aruging with people blinded with pixie dust

Who's blinded with pixie dust? Nowhere in my posts have I said I don't like Universal. The OP asked a question as to whether her 2 and 4 year old would like US or SW better. I think that the answer is SW. I still stand firm that US is not a park that I would go to with a 2 year old or a 4-year old. Once they get a little older, sure, but not at that young of an age.

Who knew that this thread would turn so contentious...seems like some are blinded by Spidey's 3-D glasses...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter