Sea World or Universal for 2 and 4 year old?

Who's blinded with pixie dust? Nowhere in my posts have I said I don't like Universal. The OP asked a question as to whether her 2 and 4 year old would like US or SW better. I think that the answer is SW. I still stand firm that US is not a park that I would go to with a 2 year old or a 4-year old. Once they get a little older, sure, but not at that young of an age.

Who knew that this thread would turn so contentious...seems like some are blinded by Spidey's 3-D glasses...

OK, you admit that you're not a parent, but have you ever personally taken a child to Universal to be entertained? You **think** that a child that young would not be entertained, but do you have any personal experience to back up that assumption? My niece went when she was 4, and LOVED it! I may have missed it, but did someone also mention Animal Planet Live, or what is now Animal Actors Live or something? The kids love that. The Dinosaur Discovery center is awesome and interactive, and my niece was entertained for hours there. And, she also loved the water play area around Barney. Her parents also had a hard time pulling her off Me Ship, The Olive.

I like Sea World too, but honestly, I think it comes to personal preference when making your decision.

Who's blinded with pixie dust? Nowhere in my posts have I said I don't like Universal. The OP asked a question as to whether her 2 and 4 year old would like US or SW better. I
So 2 and 4 yr olds don't like Barney, Dr Seuss etc. I think 2and 4 yr olds would pick Barney Dr Seuss etc over looking at animals any day (and yes we love SW ). Oh that's right USO is for pre teens and up. Yep every teen just can't wait to see the Barney Show, Play in the A Day in the Park with Barney playarea, ride 1 Fish 2 Fish etc.

OK, you admit that you're not a parent, but have you ever personally taken a child to Universal to be entertained? You **think** that a child that young would not be entertained, but do you have any personal experience to back up that assumption? My niece went when she was 4, and LOVED it! I may have missed it, but did someone also mention Animal Planet Live, or what is now Animal Actors Live or something? The kids love that. The Dinosaur Discovery center is awesome and interactive, and my niece was entertained for hours there. And, she also loved the water play area around Barney. Her parents also had a hard time pulling her off Me Ship, The Olive.

I like Sea World too, but honestly, I think it comes to personal preference when making your decision.

No, I haven't taken kids that young to US...we took my young cousins to SW instead and they loved that and, of course, I agree with your final statement that it comes down to personal preference. Yes, I'm making assumptions based on what I believe. I know that there are things that kids will love at US. But, I think that SW, overall, has more that appeals to a younger crowd and less that appeals to an older crowd.

I guess that's really the gist of my argument and it's kinda gotten lost in everything else that I've rambled on about (and I do ramble...). From my personal opinion, I think that as kids get older, the allure of SW wanes while the allue of US soars. Why not take younger kids to SW while they'll enjoy it and save US 'til they're a little older.

Like I said, I'm not a US basher...I like both US parks a whole lot better than SW (which is why I am baffling myself as to why I'm actually pro-SW in this thread), but I'm just stating my opinion.

So 2 and 4 yr olds don't like Barney, Dr Seuss etc. I think 2and 4 yr olds would pick Barney Dr Seuss etc over looking at animals any day (and yes we love SW ). Oh that's right USO is for pre teens and up. Yep every teen just can't wait to see the Barney Show, Play in the A Day in the Park with Barney playarea, ride 1 Fish 2 Fish etc.

I actually love One Fish, Two Fish...I think it's genius that a carnival-type ride can be made that much fun by adding a little bit of water.

But anyway...I'm not saying that 2 and 4 yr olds wouldn't like Barney and Dr. Seuss. I'm sure they would -- who else is the Barney area aimed at than a 2-4yr old? BUT, like I said above, I think that SW is aimed at a younger crowd overall moreso than US.

Back to the OP...there will be stuff for your younger kids to like at both parks. I think the younger kids will enjoy more at SW. There will be stuff for your older kids to like at both parks. I think the older kids will enjoy more at US. It's a toss-up as to which you choose.

The real question the OP should ask is if she chooses US and is only able to go one day, which park should she choose to visit with a 2 and a 4 yr old? I am definitely not qualified enough to answer that question.

Don't know why i keep coming back. Guess I'm a gluten for punishment....

My now 9DD has been going to USO since she was 3 1/2. She's been probably a dozen times in the past 6 yrs. She loves USO. When she was younger she could spend hrs in Camp Jurassic, Fivel play area, Day in the Park with Barney etc. She would ride ET over and over until the smoke gave me a terrible headache. She would watch every show of Animal Actors or Sinbad. We could spend 1/2 day in Seuss Landing. Spiderman has always been a fav or hers.
Now that she is older she still loves all those things, but now I have a hard time pulling her away from MIB, Jimmy Neutron, Shrek and any of the water rides.

Yes she loves WDW and SW too. We are actually about burned out on USO and hope to make it back to WDW soon. However she can't wait to be tall enough for Hulk, DD and DDFF Which BTW are the only rides she is not tall enough for.

No one's going to change my mind that Universal has enough geared towards kids. I'm not a parent yet, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about,
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you were not a parent. Consequently, you can't relate to today's children and what they might enjoy.

I despise Shrek (and will hopefully pass that hatred on to my kids ;) ). Hanna Barbera's simulator was infinitely better than the Jimmy Neutron one they have now.
You feel the Hanna Barbera ride was better than today's Jimmy Neutron. But I would bet that would be because the Hanna Barbera ride featured cartoons that you were familiar with (Flintstones, Jetsons, etc). I would also guess that as an adult, you don't spend a whole lot of time watching Nick. So the characters in the Jimmy Neutron ride would not be as familiar and beloved to you as they are to today's kids. My kids love riding through the Rug Rats house with Jimmy chasing the evil Ooblar, visiting Fairly Oddparents, Hey Arnold and Spongebob.

You hate Shrek, however, many kids LOVE Shrek. This is a wonderful ride for all ages.

You can't beat the Suessland and all the interactive play areas for the little ones.

My kids have been doing WDW and Universal at least 2x per year for years now. My youngest started Universal @ 2. Obviously, he found plenty to do there as a toddler or we wouldn't have kept going. The kids love both parks, however they much prefer Universal.

From my standpoint, what sets Universal apart from Disney (and not in a good way, in my opinion) is the lack of "family" feeling I get from there.
Our family would strongly disagree with you here. We find the Universal parks just as family friendly and "magical" as WDW. Yes, they are different from each other, but both have a wonderful quality to their theming. They are not the same parks, so they shouldn't be clones of each other. They are different, should be appreciated for their own special qualities, but both are wonderfully themed with great attractions for all ages.

Don't get me wrong, their ET ride is one of my favorite theme park attractions anywhere and it would certainly appeal to a younger crowd, but I still think that young ones would be better occupied at Sea World.
Again, I would have to disagree with you here. My kids did love Sea World when they were young. However, when they were old enough to really understand the science behind it is when they really started enjoying it. My older kids love to do the special tours such as the Predator tour.

I say the above as a person that enjoys Universal (I'm not a Universal basher), but I also say so believing that Universal is not a park I would take my kids to until they were at least 10-12.
That would be such a shame as there is SO much for young children to do. I hardly think that a 10 year old would enjoy dancing with Barney, but perhaps your future children will actually prefer that over Shrek :goodvibes

However, honestly, I would skip both and just spend more time at Disney. Lord knows that there's plenty for the 14 and 18 year old to do there, too.
I think that also depends on the teenager. My 16 year old would argue very strongly with you over that. He gets bored very easily at WDW. When we were there in November for a family reunion, the majority of the over 10 set much preferred Universal over Disney.

OP, since you have both young children and teens, I think Universal would be a better option for you, as it has more things to entertain both the young set and the teens. If it were just the two little ones, I would say it would be a toss-up, but since you have the older ones, I think Universal is a much better bet. And to answer your original question, Universal has plenty to do to keep a toddler entertained for a day.

Let me preface this post by saying that I have not yet been to the SW in Orlando, but visited Universal about 1.5 years before having my daughter (who is now almost 2).

We LOVED Universal.... loved it to the point that when I saw a good sale on tickets, I bought us both 6 days worth (enought for 2 trips)... and then we found out we were having DD.... and have not yet revisted Universal - even though she has been to WDW 4x (May will be her 5th). I clearly remember there being many activities geared towards children - but none that DH and I would really want to spend all day doing - and **most** of the stuff we would have **really** wanted to do, we would not have been able to do with a small child (at least under 4), so we have not even considered revisiting until our youngest is at least 4ish (although when planning our vacations, we often talk about how excited we are to return someday).

Now, DH and I vacation alone w/ our daughter (ie no extended family, grandma, cousins, etc), so we **could** ride things alone, but we would rather stick together. If we had grandma or someone with us, I could see us enjoying Universal w/ a small child because people could take turns with the young one while the older ones rode the big attractions. To us, that is the difference with WDW - there is so much that we enjoy that DD will enjoy also. Sure, I would have like to tried out "Soarin" - but we are never at all loss for something all 3 of us will like or feel like we are "missing out" like I feel like we would feel at Universal. That's why we decided to try Seaworld this year - instead of returning to our beloved Universal. I think Seaworld will have more options that will appeal to all 3 of us than to just DD or just me and DH - which will end up being a more enjoyable day.

I realize OP's situation is a bit different because there are teens involved as well, but I just wanted to share my insight.

I clearly remember there being many activities geared towards children - but none that DH and I would really want to spend all day doing - and **most** of the stuff we would have **really** wanted to do, we would not have been able to do with a small child (at least under 4), so we have not even considered revisiting until our youngest is at least 4ish (although when planning our vacations, we often talk about how excited we are to return someday).

You feel the Hanna Barbera ride was better than today's Jimmy Neutron. But I would bet that would be because the Hanna Barbera ride featured cartoons that you were familiar with (Flintstones, Jetsons, etc). I would also guess that as an adult, you don't spend a whole lot of time watching Nick. So the characters in the Jimmy Neutron ride would not be as familiar and beloved to you as they are to today's kids. My kids love riding through the Rug Rats house with Jimmy chasing the evil Ooblar, visiting Fairly Oddparents, Hey Arnold and Spongebob

The 2 above bolded quotes make a very good point IMHO

I think they help shed light on why many adults don't think there is a lot at USO for children. It isn't because the attractions wouldn't entertain the children, but because they do not bring out a feeling of nostalgia for the parents.

I think many adults tend to over look or dismiss many of what USO has to offer because they don't feel a conection to it.... ie the following quote
No one's going to change my mind that Universal has enough geared towards kids. I'm not a parent yet, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but two play areas and a kiddie coaster (and some other things that I'll list below)do not equal what Disney has to offer. Like I said before, ET is one of my favorite rides in any theme park, but the Woody Woodpecker roller coaster is not going to draw me in. I despise Shrek (and will hopefully pass that hatred on to my kids ). Hanna Barbera's simulator was infinitely better than the Jimmy Neutron one they have now. Suessland can be enjoyed by all, not just by the very young. I guess my point is that, as is evidenced by your post as well, as youth get older
There is much more at USO for children than 2 play areas and a kiddie coaster(and the short list that covered maybe 1/3 of what USO has). Heck there are actualy 2 kiddie coasters(Woody Woodpecker and flying Unicorn) and 5 play areas...Camp Jurrasic, If I ran the Zoo, Me ship the Olive, Curious George, Fivel, A day in the Park with Barney. 6 is you count the Discovery center. The quote also brought about my pixie dust comment. The OP was asking about SW vs USO, so why the comparison to WDW?

Oh and as for the arguments that one should hold off on USO until the kids could enjoy more of it. The same could be said about WDW. Why not hold off until they can enjoy RnR, ToT, EE, SM etc? I just don't get the argument that USO should wait, but WDW and even SW shouldn't, when they both have attractions with height requirements that rule out small children.

I draw you back in...you draw me back in... ;)

I would absolutely agree with you that there is a nostalgia factor in Disney. I won't argue that at all and I am certain that it sways my opinion in liking Disney more than US or SW. I don't dismiss US completely for kids. I just think that a 2 or 3 yo would like SW better.

Oh and as for the arguments that one should hold off on USO until the kids could enjoy more of it. The same could be said about WDW. Why not hold off until they can enjoy RnR, ToT, EE, SM etc? I just don't get the argument that USO should wait, but WDW and even SW shouldn't, when they both have attractions with height requirements that rule out small children.

Disney is not known for its thrill rides. While it does have some, most of their rides require no height requirement for guests. Two year olds can ride most things that their parents can (at least at MK). [On a side note...like I said before, I am not a parent, but I probably wouldn't take my kids to WDW until they were near the age of 4 anyway. I sure as heck know that I don't vividly remember any Disney trips I took prior to the age of 7 or 8.]

Universal, to me, markets itself as more of a "thrill park." Look at IOA. It's full of excellent thrills. However, many of IOA''s rides do have a height requirement. 2yo's cannot experience what I would deem as Universal's great attractions (what makes Universal "magic," in my opinion).

However, "magic" is obviously in the eye of the beholder.

2yo's cannot experience what I would deem as Universal's great attractions (what makes Universal "magic," in my opinion).

However, "magic" is obviously in the eye of the beholder.

You are absolutely right. 'Magic' is in the eye of the beholder. And your 'magic' is seen through the eyes of a 26 year old guy without kids. If you don't have kids, how could you possibly be intimately familiar with what a 2 and 4 year old would like?

A 2 year old could care less about Dueling Dragons. A 2 year old's magic is seeing the Barney show, having Dora sign an autograph, playing in the play areas, seeing Lassie do tricks and riding the Carosuessel.

my two cents......

:offtopic: Last summer, we happened to ride both Jimmy Neutron AND the Hanna Barbera ride.....it had been years since we rode HB, and let me tell you....Jimmy blew Hanna out of the water!!! Altho an original, JN had a better story, better effects, smoother, more believe-able ride......HB went so fast, you couldn't follow any sort of "storyline", the seats weren't as comfortable and the ride was "jerky"...... like I said, mho, a good move by Universal was replacing HB with Jimmy..... :duck:

Okay, here's my opinion. I noticed one poster mentioned that the teens may have to take one for the team. My thoughts on this...... I've experienced raising a child into his teens, & it's much easier to entertain & keep a 2 & 4 yr. old happy than it is a teenager. A 2 yr. old is happy walking around looking at weeds, as long as they bloom. :p If the teenagers are bored, noone's going to be having a good time. :scared1: If anyone takes one for the team, it would be a much more enjoyable day, if you erred on the side of the teens. Although, I don't see why the teens can't sacrifice a day for the little ones, as long as the favor is returned. It's just not fair to make the teens martyrs, so the smaller ones can always have their way. As a mother with kids of varying ages, I'm sure the OP already knows that though.

Sea World is a fun day, if you've never been. We don't like to go often, because we get bored with it, but it's a great way to occasionally spend a day for all ages.

As far as WDW & UO goes, mom & the little ones will most likely enjoy WDW more. Dad & the teens will probably like UO better. There's plenty to do at either to keep everyone happy. It's just that half of the group would probably be happier, if they were at the other parks. IMHO, a split visit is the best way to assure everyone has a great trip.

My best advice..... Spend the 1st park of your trip at WDW, then switch to a hotel on UO property for to end your vacation. If you're on property at UO, the teens can walk to the park of their choice, & you can take the younger ones to enjoy their favorite attractions regardless of which park it's in. You & they may opt for a day at the pool or enjoying the resort, while the teens are riding coasters. While the little ones are having fun at an evening character meal at one of the resorts, the older kids have several places to grab a bite to eat w/i easy walking distance. Maybe the little ones would enjoy a character breakfast, while the teens sleep in. You get the idea. Staying onsite at UO gives you lots of freedom to split up, but not be that far apart. FYI, Hard Rock Hotel is the most convenient, followed by Royal Pacific Resort. Portifino Bay Hotel is also convenient, it's just a little further from the parks & CityWalk than the other 2.

Whatever you decide, you'll have a great trip, as long as some of the kids aren't catered to more than others. I'm sure that won't happen though. Have fun planning!!!! :)

HI, we will be in Disney in May and have DS2, DD4, DS 14 and niece 18,the 14 and 18 year olds are thrill seekers so to break way from the disney atmosphere I told them I would take them to universal, my dilema is that I think my 2,4 yr olds would not like universal, Im thinking there is not enough to keep young ones busy, can you prove me wrong? so im thinking of seaworld because I know all would enjoy Shamu and the shows as well as the older ones having the abilty to ride the roller coaster, roller coaster. Any Thoughts? should I just keep the disney thing going?

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1353733
Look at FAQ#1........might help out some.

We have taken our kids to Universal/Islands of Adv. 4 times. They are now 10 and 6. They absolutely love it there. We have stayed onsite at Hard Rock or Royal Pac everytime and that makes a huge difference in your level of enjoyment.

Last year we went to Sea World and enjoyed it too. They have 3 quality rides--but not for little kids. Universal has many, many rides for the young ones and your teenagers will love it. You do need to be able to experience BOTH parks though--not just Universal.

Basically, we love going to Universal Orlando. This year we are doing Disney, Sea World and Busch Gardens---with much anger from my 10 year old son. He hates Disney (I think he has been spoiled by the unlimited front of the line access at Universal) and doesn't want to go back.

We're still gonna have a blast--it's Orlando in March and we're from Michigan!!

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you were not a parent. Consequently, you can't relate to today's children and what they might enjoy.

Wow - I guess teachers who aren't parents, or caregivers who are parents can't relate to today's children and what they might enjoy!:confused3

ETA: I am a parent, have two children ages 2 and 4 and hands down I would take them to Sea World over Universal. But hey, that's just us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter