• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sea World to phase out Orca shows

I am surprised that the well rounded people from Peta haven't tried to set fire to the park or murder the entire Seaworld management as of yet.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. Sea world does some real good for aquatic life and conservation. And then there are the orcas who just seem to be cash cows for the company to get visitors into the parks.

Been on Sky News all day. Very one sided coverage (including a weird lady from PETA)
It only affects the San Diego SW, not Orlando yet.

I still believe SW(and BG) do more good with conservation and education than bad.

Personally I will continue to pay for my AP while I still feel comfortable doing so. I still think there is a place for these parks but appreciate others don't.

Been on Sky News all day. Very one sided coverage (including a weird lady from PETA)
It only affects the San Diego SW, not Orlando yet.

I still believe SW(and BG) do more good with conservation and education than bad.

Personally I will continue to pay for my AP while I still feel comfortable doing so. I still think there is a place for these parks but appreciate others don't.

I must admit to enjoying the show with the trainers in the water, however after watching Blackfish, it lost a lot of appeal for me. That is why we only visit every 3 or 4 years now, but I do enjoy the coasters. I think it is just a matter of time now that the ball has started rolling, and the pressure will increase on Orlando to demonstrate it is following suit. I read on another site that Sea World have huge development plans in progress. My only concern is what will happen to the Orcas when the stadium eventually closes.

I must admit to enjoying the show with the trainers in the water, however after watching Blackfish, it lost a lot of appeal for me. That is why we only visit every 3 or 4 years now, but I do enjoy the coasters. I think it is just a matter of time now that the ball has started rolling, and the pressure will increase on Orlando to demonstrate it is following suit. I read on another site that Sea World have huge development plans in progress. My only concern is what will happen to the Orcas when the stadium eventually closes.
I never believe TV programs or newspapers, they only give one side and exaggerate.

I'm in San Diego, so this is on the news all the time. They have filed a permit to expand the size of the current orca habitat by a huge amount. I would think if they took out the stage and stadium, they would have a lot of extra room in that area. The coastal commission here has said they will only approve the permit if Sea World agrees to stop their orca breeding program. Sea World has countered that they don't have any kind of jurisdiction to make that demand. I think that's where it sits for now. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

We do still have our memberships because they rescue many many sea creatures along the coast here that really need their services. Most of those creatures get released when they are back to health, but some are just not up to it and need a permanent home. I also love their Pets Rule show, they do a lot to get dogs and cats out of shelters.

I never believe TV programs or newspapers, they only give one side and exaggerate.

Don't let Matt hear that !!!!:rotfl:

On a serious note...Sea World's profits and stocks have dropped since the film was released. Sponsorships have not been renewed. There will always be opinions for both sides, but it appears people are voting with their feet, and as you are well aware, that can make or break a business. California has already introduced the Orca Welfare and Safety Act, that will ban using orcas in captivity for entertainment and to retire all of the current whales.
I will still go to see the show if we visit Sea World before the show ends and I am sure that if Sea World continues to promote its excellent conservation program, then the visitors will once again return. :)

Last edited:
You will never be able to retire at that rate! :laughing:

Here is a link to the new Sea World global plans...not sure if allowed to post links to other sites, so remove if unsuitable :thumbsup2

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/11/seaworld-announces-major-expansion.html?m=1

I have more or less given up any ideas of a retirement. Although it's not as if I have a difficult job is it? I have cut back, from this year no more weddings (only part of the job I disliked) 4 holidays in the pipeline within the next 10 months, starting with Tenerife tomorrow :)

It would block if you couldn't post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter