• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Seating on Bus

Status
Not open for further replies.
As SueM mentions above, with very few exceptions a stroller cannot be tied down on a bus, it must be folded and carried/held. The only exception are a few special needs strollers which are designed for transport. If you have one such stroller, you know it; if you don't know whether your stroller meets that criteria, likely it does not. Strollers can be rolled onto the monorail and some boats.

The best way to ensure a seat on the bus is to either travel at off-peak times of the day (not park opening/closing), or to wait for the next bus if you find yourself at the head of the line to board a full bus. While waiting another 10 or 20 minutes may not sound desirable either, to be assured a seat as one of the first onboard can make for a much easier ride if standing is not an option.

Yes, there are seats designated to be vacated for those with disabilities or the elderly. Yes, you may consider it common courtesy for a man or able-bodied woman to offer their seat to someone disabled, elderly or with young children. But neither of those options can be guaranteed to happen. Many people are at WDW with visible or invisible disabilities. Bus drivers cannot force another to vacate their seat for your. They may ask, they may not ask. If the bus is nearly full, just step aside and indicate you will wait for the next bus.

Since learning to deal with my daughter and her issues, I have found myself much less judgemental of others who may otherwise "appear normal." None of us knows what another is dealing with themselves on the inside.

Enjoy your vacation!

And which person is disabled? You can't just tell by looking at someone and you can't require proof of their disability if they refuse to move from the seat.

How about personal responsibility? If you can't stand on a bus, don't get on a standing room only bus. Period. I have had to wait for the next bus for this reason. Why can't other people? I don't get people who get on an obviously full bus and then complain that no one will give up their seat.

And which person is disabled? You can't just tell by looking at someone and you can't require proof of their disability if they refuse to move from the seat.

How about personal responsibility? If you can't stand on a bus, don't get on a standing room only bus. Period. I have had to wait for the next bus for this reason. Why can't other people? I don't get people who get on an obviously full bus and then complain that no one will give up their seat.

I always find it slightly ironic that it seems A okay to judge someone for not giving up their seat, but not okay to judge the other way around for not helping themselves in some manner with any of the above suggestions.

Last edited:
Except that YOU have no idea who is able bodied and who isn't. By asking someone who you imagine to be able-bodied you may well be making someone whose disability is invisible feel shamed and uncomfortable. You create the expectation that they have to justify their need and that's profoundly uncomfortable for a lot of people.
Exactly.

Read my post. I was asked to move. In fact, because there weren't seats around, I was asked to go to the back of the bus.

Once I did it. Never again. It took too much effort to get up those stairs. The next time I was asked, I said no. And I had to explain why I couldn't.

I shouldn't have to explain. It isn't anyone's business what my disability may be.

To the world I may look like a lazy, fat person. But to my doctor I look like a person with 2 chronic, progressive, disabling, auto-immune diseases.

Exactly.

Read my post. I was asked to move. In fact, because there weren't seats around, I was asked to go to the back of the bus.

Once I did it. Never again. It took too much effort to get up those stairs. The next time I was asked, I said no. And I had to explain why I couldn't.

I shouldn't have to explain. It isn't anyone's business what my disability may be.

To the world I may look like a lazy, fat person. But to my doctor I look like a person with 2 chronic, progressive, disabling, auto-immune diseases.

There were times (before I used a wheelchair full time) that I was asked to move, and I said "I can't because I have a disability." That is all they can legally require of a person. I did not explain what my disability was.

The bus signs are very similar, but not exactly the same bus to bus. The ones right by the securement devices mention moving for guests with wheelchairs and other mobility devices.
The ones near the securement spaces and by the seats near the front door mention elderly and people with disabilities.

The bus drivers can ask people to move. They can't force someone to move if they choose not to. They also can't ask why the person doesn't move (a person can't be forced to disclose a disability to remain seated there).

Asking an able bodied and non able bodied child/adult to vacate their seats are 100% different scenarios.

And who gets to judge who is and isn't able bodied.

Personally I don't allow my children to stand on buses I think it is unsafe. We will wait for a later bus to get seated. I won't however allow someone to shift them out their seats after doing that.

Since the question has been answered, I'm going to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter