Second Home Resort

Jack Kerouac

DIS Veteran
My wife and I are closing on our first contract next week and I’m already considering a second contract. Our first is 220 points at Poly. We (I) made the decision to buy into DVC after our first visit to WDW as a family this year. We stayed at OKW with my parents who treated us. I really enjoyed OKW because of how quiet it was. Sure, the buses were terrible and the time on the buses was equally bad. But growing up, we stayed off the grounds every visit, so I didn’t really consider the transportation a negative until it came time to spend my own money on a DVC resort. My wife wanted a monorail resort because our boys are 7, 5, and 2. But let’s say Poly Tower becomes its own association and we will eventually need a larger space for our boys as they get older. Is 220 points enough for 2BR at other resorts at the seven month mark, or is it worth looking into a second contract at another resort? For what it’s worth, we bought resale at Poly being comfortable if the tower is part of the same association or a separate one.

An addendum… we would likely be traveling in late May through September each year. Just for more clarity.

How many nights do you plan to stay? If you’re staying a full week, you won’t be able to get a 2 bedroom for 200 points; you will need to borrow from the next year. If you stay for less than a week, it could work. However, points charts shift each year. Here’s a link that may be helpful for 2023 points charts; 2024 charts have not yet been released: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/vacation-planning/points-charts
Thank you for sharing! I will definitely look at those charts.

The temptation to buy more immediately is super high since everything is new and exciting and I don't blame you at all! Check the points charts for a few resorts you may want to stay at and decide. Unless you bank or borrow (and not use them every year), 220 may not be enough at some resorts like VGF and Riv. That being said, don't be like me and jump into a second contract within a month. Plan and make a rational decision lol.

How many nights do you plan to stay? If you’re staying a full week, you won’t be able to get a 2 bedroom for 200 points; you will need to borrow from the next year. If you stay for less than a week, it could work. However, points charts shift each year. Here’s a link that may be helpful for 2023 points charts; 2024 charts have not yet been released: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/vacation-planning/points-charts
You’re right! Took a quick look at the charts… I need more points… I guess it’s time I contract add-on-itis.

You’re right! Took a quick look at the charts… I need more points… I guess it’s time I contract add-on-itis.
Honestly? If you don’t need the points for larger accommodations right now, I would wait to see what happens with Poly Tower and then move forward from there. You may even find that, before you need a 2 bedroom, a 1 bedroom works for a while with the resorts that have a bed under the tv.

The temptation to buy more immediately is super high since everything is new and exciting and I don't blame you at all! Check the points charts for a few resorts you may want to stay at and decide. Unless you bank or borrow (and not use them every year), 220 may not be enough at some resorts like VGF and Riv. That being said, don't be like me and jump into a second contract within a month. Plan and make a rational decision lol.
Thank you!! I’m generally a saver, but DVC is like a drug.

My family and I are not a glamorous bunch, so OKW was great. I’m guessing SSR would be fine as long as we aren’t super far away from everything. Riv doesn’t really appeal to me. So I’m thinking of finding more room in general, not necessarily more room with fancier accommodations.

Honestly? If you don’t need the points for larger accommodations right now, I would wait to see what happens with Poly Tower and then move forward from there. You may even find that, before you need a 2 bedroom, a 1 bedroom works for a while with the resorts that have a bed under the tv.
I’m definitely open to 1BRs. So I will be looking at those. I’m more flexible of the resort. My wife was the one who demanded to have the home resort be on the monorail. I am hoping she may change her mind as we get a few trips under our belt.

You’re absolutely right! I went from always saving to DVC disease. Need to find some balance and be reasonable.

Buy more now
- if you want to buy direct since prices are going up on Dec 4th and there are some incentives now​
- If you are absolutely sure you (or your wife) will want bigger accommodations​
- If you know you will most likely go every year and wont want to borrow/bank​
- you are financially comfortable buying more now​
Buy more later
- If you are not sure of the above and can book a 1BR (borrow if necessary) for your next stay, tour a studio and 2BR during your stay to help decide what you want and where you want​
- If you are interested in poly2 direct/resale when it goes to sale (resale may be restricted points)​
- Think there will be some sort of sale due to the economic downturn conditions (could bring resale prices down too) (I personally have no idea and not speculating anything)​
I am with your wife on wanting to stay on a monorail resort or a skyliner resort with little kids. (just my opinion) Poly is a great choice for that since it is on monorail and a walk away from TTC.

I am with your wife on wanting to stay on a monorail resort...
Believe her, and do this.

With kids their ages, you'll spend much time at MK. Being able to hop on the monorail is a relief after trekking around MK. (It's only 2 stops from Poly, one from the GF.) Not to mention, I still get a thrill coming into the CR station IN THE TOWER, no matter how many gazillion times we've done that.

Besides, you're well-advised to heed DH's motto: Happy wife, happy life. 😉

Plan and make a rational decision lol.

Great advice, but you do know where you are right?

The temptation to add on is real tough to fight. I look at the market for CCV points more often than I should…..

The conventional wisdom would be to not buy another contract until you have more than enough points in one resort and UY to make sure you can do what you want at that resort and UY easily. Do you mind a split stay or alternating resorts every other year?

SSR is a great option with a good point chart but you can likely get in there at 7 months.

If you aren’t in a hurry I’d recommend you wait to see if Poly2 is the same association and then buy more points to have the flexibility to book the larger rooms if you want.

As the family get’s older you might want another area on property? Riviera would be my recommendation for EPCOT/HS but you said you didn’t like the resort. The AKV resorts are awesome and also would be a great option.

Bet of luck to you and welcome home.

Thank you!! I’m generally a saver, but DVC is like a drug.

My family and I are not a glamorous bunch, so OKW was great. I’m guessing SSR would be fine as long as we aren’t super far away from everything. Riv doesn’t really appeal to me. So I’m thinking of finding more room in general, not necessarily more room with fancier accommodations.
I'd reconsider your thoughts on RIV since you mentioned in 3 separate posts gow much you disliked buses and being close to things is important. The skyliner is really great for epcot and hollywood studios. Our last stay was 8 days and we split between BLT and Riv. we did 4 days of MK and AK from BLT and 4 days of EPCOT and HS from Riv. The only bus we had to ride was from BLT to AK. And Riv has every type of room.

I’m definitely open to 1BRs. So I will be looking at those. I’m more flexible of the resort. My wife was the one who demanded to have the home resort be on the monorail. I am hoping she may change her mind as we get a few trips under our belt.
You may find that the monorail and proximity to MK are not as important as your kids get older. My girls are 9 and 7 and, while we used to spend the bulk of our time at MK, this is the first year where my kids have wanted to spend only a day there and wanted to spend multiple days at HS and Epcot.

Our initial purchase was RIV. Two years ago, my husband wanted to add on at a monorail resort but we all fell in love with the feel at OKW (we always rent a car so buses aren’t a concern). We ended up adding on at OKW and my kids just asked when we could stay at OKW again because they said they miss it.

Following this thread closely.

I think any of us who are new purchasers or considering our initial purchase- how will we use our points. What works best for our family

I have not even made a purchase yet and am running various plans that fit us within still maintaining a budget. It changes everyday and almost every time I read how other people use their points.

I wouldn't be in a rush for this. DVC is going nowhere. To do the math, we don't know the Poly2 charts, but I think it's fair to say they will be close to VGF, maybe even higher.

Poly2's room mix will also be telling to me. If they make it mostly studios, like DLT and VGF2, then it will be increasingly difficult to get 2BRs over time. Add in factors like VGF and BW have a bunch of lock-offs and 2BRs might become endangered in general.

You didn't even mention your exit strategy, which to me is the MOST important consideration. If you want to hold forever, then maybe Poly2 is a good idea anyway. If you want 2BRs now, and plan to sell in a decade, I would be considering BC. Yes, these points are expensive. But location can't be beat. 2BR can't be beat, and the chart does a lot of work for you. This room can be challenging to book for that long of a trip, and I think you'll have no issue selling with 10 years left.

But I find this post in general confusing. There is a HUGE gap between a Poly studio and a 2BR. These aren't even close to the same product. 1BR opens up a lot more possibilities and would completely change my response.

I wouldn't be in a rush for this. DVC is going nowhere. To do the math, we don't know the Poly2 charts, but I think it's fair to say they will be close to VGF, maybe even higher.

Poly2's room mix will also be telling to me. If they make it mostly studios, like DLT and VGF2, then it will be increasingly difficult to get 2BRs over time. Add in factors like VGF and BW have a bunch of lock-offs and 2BRs might become endangered in general.

You didn't even mention your exit strategy, which to me is the MOST important consideration. If you want to hold forever, then maybe Poly2 is a good idea anyway. If you want 2BRs now, and plan to sell in a decade, I would be considering BC. Yes, these points are expensive. But location can't be beat. 2BR can't be beat, and the chart does a lot of work for you. This room can be challenging to book for that long of a trip, and I think you'll have no issue selling with 10 years left.

But I find this post in general confusing. There is a HUGE gap between a Poly studio and a 2BR. These aren't even close to the same product. 1BR opens up a lot more possibilities and would completely change my response.

I can't imagine ANY scenario where the Poly2 will be mostly studios. Regardless of which association, there's just no way with all the studios already in the resort, not to mention all the studios they just added to VGF. As a Poly owner who stays in 2 bedrooms (yes we are the rare bird that loves the bungalows), the main issue with the Poly is lack of 1-2-3 bedrooms. How deaf do you have to be to build a tower on property that has a small number of the one thing the resort needs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter