Second thoughts (I've read too many reviews)

Now that stress I can relate to. Our first cruise was also a gift from the in-laws who were on it as well, and it was like their 20th cruise by then, and they STILL all looked to me as the vacation director throughout each day. Not relaxing!

There isn't any line that gets good overall reviews on Cruise Critic. I do find it useful for information but everything does skew negative.

Hey, I'm a vacation director to my in-laws as well! *Cheers!*

Thank you for the great advice, everyone! I am usually level-headed about reviews (my favorite - zero stars for a hotel because the complimentary toiletries were too small), but I lost my mind for a minute.

My wife has a saying: if you hang out in the monkey house too long, you stop noticing the smell.

Step away from Cruise Critic and the vocal minority found therein. No, DCL is not perfect. It certainly has flaws that should be called out, but some people on CC are just trolls, plain and simple. Others magnify and distort issues so grossly that I’m convinced that they must have personality disorders.

The cruise will not be perfect, but the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor that you will have an awesome time. Relax.

Our first experience on DCL was in 2013. After much excitement, we were thrilled to finally be on the ship. The first night, my wife, oldest daughter, and I became so sick that we were absolutely miserable. It was so bad, we started talking about whether we could fly home from the first port. We were so sad that all our excitement was unfounded. However, we took some medicine, went to bed, and woke up the next day feeling better. The next day was a blast, and so was the next, and the next, and before we knew it, we were sitting in the lobby, waiting until the last minute to disembark, nearly in tears that our favorite vacation of all time was coming to an end.

Soon after, my wife became ill and we couldn't book another cruise, despite missing it so much and no other trip being quite as enjoyable for us (even with a trip to Hawaii in an amazing beach house). Every year I lamented the fact that we would never sail on DCL again due to my wife's dietary/health constraints.

A little over a year ago, my wife found a solution to her health problem. Last summer, she was doing so well, we booked our second DCL vacation to celebrate her new health. We sailed again last month, this time with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, who we adore. The second cruise was even better than the first. For us, we find it to be the perfect combination of relaxation, adventure, beaches, dining, entertainment, and just plain easy traveling. Again, we were all nearly in tears when leaving the ship. Within two weeks, we had booked our third cruise (yes, we were stupid for not booking on the ship for the discount, but we thought we wouldn't be going again so soon), and will be headed to Italy/Greece on DCL in 2020.

We have even thrown around the idea of cruising with DCL again over Christmas, but think we will hold off due to the expense of the Europe cruise next year.

DCL isn't for everyone. But, you can count on good service, some of the best cared for ships in the industry, good entertainment, and just an easy no-care vacation once you are on the ship. If it clicks for you, no vacation will be as good. If it doesn't, then you know and can look elsewhere in the future.

P.S. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law absolutely loved it too, as two adults traveling without children.

Last edited:
I had to have some fun and go to cruise critic to read some of the reviews. Some are hysterical. Most were pretty decent reviews, but some of the one star ones were so hyperbolic they are hard to believe. Like amazon and trip advisor - take away the 5 star and the one star reviews and read all the 2,3 and 4 star reviews and you will usually get a good flavor of the product.

I had to have some fun and go to cruise critic to read some of the reviews. Some are hysterical. Most were pretty decent reviews, but some of the one star ones were so hyperbolic they are hard to believe. Like amazon and trip advisor - take away the 5 star and the one star reviews and read all the 2,3 and 4 star reviews and you will usually get a good flavor of the product.

You are exactly right. They are entertaining, because it is funny to see how unreasonable some people's expectations are. There is actually a subreddit dedicated to finding the most absurd reviews. Most are for other lines, but they range from complaining that the carpets are too similar on different ships, to the bananas being in the wrong place on the buffet.

A certain percentage of the population could make an Olympic sport out of complaining.

You are exactly right. They are entertaining, because it is funny to see how unreasonable some people's expectations are. There is actually a subreddit dedicated to finding the most absurd reviews. Most are for other lines, but they range from complaining that the carpets are too similar on different ships, to the bananas being in the wrong place on the buffet.

A certain percentage of the population could make an Olympic sport out of complaining.

I'm on Reddit and I heard about the banana complaint.

I saw a new one for the Fantasy today. It was the cruise where they couldn't dock at CC and of course they gave it one star. "How is it that you don't have an alternative plan to get people on the island if currents are strong and wind are high? " he asked. Then it was an issue that the kids kept seeing the fun they were "missing out on" because the navigator app kept displaying the CC activities even though they weren't on CC. "It was a brutal blow to my kids to have to see these activities, but then be informed that those were the ones from the island, and therefore not available.". A brutal blow! Yikes. Again, not much research...complaints about wasted time eating in a sit-down on embarkation day (could have gone to Cabana's) and then expecting some magic backup plan to get to CC.

I think some people on Cruise Critic take the critic part a little too seriously. Every cruise line has a solid amount of negative reviews on that site! Don't worry, your cruise will be awesome!

In my opinion, the worst thing to happen to first-time DCL cruisers is the creation of things like this group and the ones on other social media platforms. Our first DCL cruise in 2012, we went in with minimal knowledge only from the DCL website and the cruise booklet, and we had an amazing time. Our expectations were minimal because we had not seen what others had experienced, but rather explored on our own and discovered it all without expectations. It is so much better to ignore the reviews, blogs, and videos of others and do it with fresh eyes, realizing it is impossible to do everything, so choose what interests you.
I disagree. Knowing more about what to expect and tips on improving the experience have always been helpful to me in regards to first-time travel anywhere, including our first cruise on DCL. In fact, if it weren't for these boards I don't think I would have ever even tried a cruise.

I disagree. Knowing more about what to expect and tips on improving the experience have always been helpful to me in regards to first-time travel anywhere, including our first cruise on DCL. In fact, if it weren't for these boards I don't think I would have ever even tried a cruise.

I think there should be a balance from what you should and shouldn't get from these boards. The useful tips like what to do with your bathing suit if you want to go for a swim right away, etc. And the opinions on very subjective things, like food, but also hygiene, should be approached more carefully. Someone for who food is the most important part of a cruise will be more critical of food. Those who have allergies will pay more attention to housekeeping. I love a good meal, but it's not very important to me and cleanliness... my only real OCD is to look under the bed to see if they have vaccuumed or not.

I love reading the 0-star reviews, but then just for laughs to see what people can get worked up about. :P When you read those, you will see people find mildew in even the fanciest, most expensive hotels.

I love reading the 0-star reviews, but then just for laughs to see what people can get worked up about. :P When you read those, you will see people find mildew in even the fanciest, most expensive hotels.
On Trip Advisor, my pet peeve is people who post pictures of dust, slight mildew, etc. in the photos section. You're scrolling through traveler photos, trying to get a genuine idea of what a place is like, and then in the middle of a hundred nice pictures, you're confronted with a photo of a spiderweb...:rolleyes2 Unless it exposes something egregious, that doesn't influence my thinking, but it is annoying and unpleasant. It takes away that happy travel planning buzz for a minute or two.

On Trip Advisor, my pet peeve is people who post pictures of dust, slight mildew, etc. in the photos section. You're scrolling through traveler photos, trying to get a genuine idea of what a place is like, and then in the middle of a hundred nice pictures, you're confronted with a photo of a spiderweb...:rolleyes2 Unless it exposes something egregious, that doesn't influence my thinking, but it is annoying and unpleasant. It takes away that happy travel planning buzz for a minute or two.

My attitude, on CC, Trip Adviser, etc. is to look at WHAT they are complaining about. If they are complaining about bugs in the room or mean employees, those are complaints that I care about. If they are complaining instead about a little bit of wear on the carpet or drapes, or that a $100 room isn't giving the same amenities as a $300 room, then I know the place must be pretty good if they don't have anything else to complain about.

Also, maybe you'll find that in the future DCL worth the extra cost to you, but since your FIL is providing this trip for you, go and enjoy a great trip for your family. It is worth it to him, and you will have a great time!

BTW, I agree with you, planning IS half the fun. It is a way to enjoy the trip long before it happens!

Well, you can get some hyperbole here as well. Every line has it's cheerleaders and it's skeptics.

To the OP, I get the anxiety of being the family vacation planner. I do the same for our multigenerational family of 8. It can take the fun out of the trip. My best advice would be to pick a few excursions you like in each port, and then get the family together to decide which one to do. On board, set meet up times for certain activities, meals, shows, and then let the rest of the day just happen. It's ok if not everyone spends every minute together. On cruises, we sort of free flow like that, and end up doing a lot together anyways, but there is no expectation that we'll all want to do the same thing all day.

As for worth it, like it's been mentioned, you're not paying for it. Time to let that bit of anxiety go. Your FIL wants to pay, he knows the cost - no need to second guess him. Enjoy the free vacation and time with your family. He probably feels it's totally "worth it" to vacation with his family, and DCL is a good product. My mom is doing much the same this year. With 2 kids in college, a third on her way, and our business expanding, I just don't have the funds for much vacation. My mom likes to travel with our family (and loves that I plan everything) and decided, at 76, she doesn't want to wait for our finances to settle. She decided she's paying for this year's summer vacation. We're doing Yellowstone and Glacier NP's, with private guides, rafting, etc. I'm grateful.

DCL is amazing for kids, especially kids that like indoor activities more, like the clubs, shows, and group events. I gather RCCL is very good for active/athletic kids. Our son loves DCL. We have to tear him away from the clubs. Is it more expensive? Yes, mostly. However, the attention to kids is still worth it for us. If we were two adults, we probably wouldn't do DCL. Although, the movie theater and Remy are amazing.

Did your 11 year old like Celebrity? We, as a couple, loved Celebrity. However, since our son likes the kids clubs, I thought he might not like Celebrity with fewer kids. I want to do an Alaska cruise, but I don't like the two ones that DCL does. We want to do a land portion.

I'm sorry I just saw this! Our 11-year old did like Celebrity, but he is a really low-key kid and actually enjoyed the fact that Celebrity was quite a bit more subdued than DCL. As you may know, the kids clubs on Celebrity are much smaller and they break the kids down into smaller age groups, so, as an 11-year old, he was in a group of, if I recall, 9 - 12 year olds. He also loves basketball so spent hours every day playing pick-up games on the sports deck with people from all over the world which was really cool. If your son really likes the bells and whistles of a DCL-sized kids' club, he may be disappointed, but if he could tolerate a quieter cruise with some activities for kids, he might like it!

I'm sorry I just saw this! Our 11-year old did like Celebrity, but he is a really low-key kid and actually enjoyed the fact that Celebrity was quite a bit more subdued than DCL. As you may know, the kids clubs on Celebrity are much smaller and they break the kids down into smaller age groups, so, as an 11-year old, he was in a group of, if I recall, 9 - 12 year olds. He also loves basketball so spent hours every day playing pick-up games on the sports deck with people from all over the world which was really cool. If your son really likes the bells and whistles of a DCL-sized kids' club, he may be disappointed, but if he could tolerate a quieter cruise with some activities for kids, he might like it!

Thanks for the response. He was in the pre-teen club last time and could be in the teen club next DCL cruise. I suspect wanting to hang out with several other kids will be high on his list next time:rolleyes:

My wife and I have sailed many times without our 2 boys (now 10 and 13) and with them (at various ages). I am "all in" on Disney, but if I can go to an objective place . . . I don't think there is any way you don't have a wonderful time. Maybe you think it is a 9 out of 10 maybe you think it is an 11 out 10 but there's no way your family doesn't love it. Enjoy your trip.

Since the cruise is paid for, not by you, I wouldn't worry about the cost and just have a great time. The time to think about cost is when and if you decide to take a next cruise:)

As others have said, don't try to do everything, and you will have a great time. If you enjoy the cruising life I would book a placeholder cruise on board to get the discount, can always get your money back if you decide not to use it.

Then at home you can research Disney and possibly other lines to see where your next cruise will be:)

Ok, Disneyphiles. Can you offer reassurance that DCL is worth the cost.

No, I cannot. I can tell you that it is worth the cost for us and we have no real interest in another cruise line. I only read reviews to get a basic idea of what is offered and the good and bad things about it that are concrete and can be described clearly and then I make my own mind up. I read many bad reviews of restaurants in Italy that were essentially due to the reviewer not understanding how things are done there. I've read many bad reviews of European hotels because the reviewer didn't understand how small rooms are there in general. Their expectations were not based on sufficient understanding of the local customs and practices or their expectations were out of line with reality. I've read far too many reviews that use non-specific adjectives without context or specifics that would allow me to make decisions about whether it's important to me, if their expectations were out of whack, if they were having an off day or the hotel/server/restaurant/cruise was having an off-day. Some people are simply unable to cope with anything other than some ideal of perfection that they've built up in their minds is necessary and commensurate with the cost and just don't deal well with any deviation from that. And people are more likely to post about a bad experience or things that they don't like than about great experiences or things that they like so you'll always see a higher proportion of bad reviews than good reviews.

If you don't personally know the people who gave the so-so reviews, don't know what their expectations were or know specifics about why they were unhappy or lukewarm about it and/or if what they didn't like isn't relevant or important to you, then ignore them. Ask yourself if your FIL feels that this is worth the cost - I'd be more inclined to trust the opinion of someone close to me than an online stranger.

While I am not footing the bill, I am the chief vacation planner

I get that - I'm the "chief" (aka only) vacation planner in my family (saying "hey, let's go to Japan" and then going back to watching TV isn't considered to be vacation planning in my books) so you want everyone to have a good time. But a cruise should actually not take a lot of planning, especially your first one. Yes you might want to book excursions and will have to investigate those, but a lot of what you do on a cruise should happen a bit more organically. You see what's happening that day or the next day and make a note to do/see that, stop by a lounge because there's some live music playing or there's some nachos available to snack on, or you just want to watch the water. You will probably get the most out of a cruise by not doing a lot of scheduling and planning and just enjoy the trip.

Last edited:
You won’t really know until you go. I have a line for what I find worth it to pay for DCL, but it’s dependent on a lot of factors. 10k for Greece was a pass for me, but I did just get off a 5 day Bahamian Magic in an inside for what I could’ve spent in September with a Florida resident discount for a 7 day, but I’m pregnant and needed a cruise before 23 weeks and one that didn’t travel to Zika areas- so for us, it was worth it.

We love DCL and will likely always sail them, but we do weigh the cost each time we sail. (This was cruise 6)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter