Second thoughts on POR - rooms

UrsulaTime

Mouseketeer
I recently walked around POR for an hour or so before I went to the airport (I devoted the day to visiting different resorts I'd seen hundreds of times in photos but never in person) and it was beautiful. In fact it was my last stop before heading back to POP to retrieve my luggage and I was getting a little anxious about the hours of traveling ahead of me...but when I walked into the Alligator Bayou section I actually felt myself relax! I promised myself I'd try to stay there in the future.

My parents are planning a WDW visit before a cruise in early December, and I think it's very much their style, too. However...I've been watching some room tours, and the rooms themselves are giving me pause. Although I very much like and respect the theming in the Royal Rooms (magic lamp faucets!), they wouldn't be the right fit for more than a night or so. And while I like many of the individual elements of the AB/MB rooms...they're not appealing as a whole. If that makes sense.

Anyway, even though it's early days, I'm torn. If you've stayed at POR in a not-Royal room, I'd really like to hear your impressions! (I'm wondering if it's the lighting in the videos I watched, or the texture on the walls that's making them appear not as 'nice' as usual.) The POFQ rooms look pretty similar, so if you've stayed there recently, I'd appreciate impressions on the rooms there as well!

I've stayed in Alligator Bayou (pre-refurb) and I really enjoyed all the little details back then. I only use the rooms for sleeping/showering so if the rooms did drive me batty, I don't remember.

I stayed at FQ pre-refurb, and to be honest, I really don't remember much about the room.

I'd stay at either one in a heartbeat if the price was right.

We usually stay in a deluxe resort but we have stayed at POR several times, too. I love the AB section because of the lush foliage. The rooms are fine, in my opinion, and not really very different than a deluxe room. We have also stayed in a mansion room and the big difference is a real dresser instead of the Murphy bed/bench.

I stayed in an Alligator Bayou room in Feb (was the only thing available for my days) and I assumed the rooms had been recently refurbed since it looked really nice/not run down. I did think the room was small if we had more than 3 adults but that applies to a lot of rooms at Disney World so that's not a dig at Riverside specifically. I was in a building close to the West Depot bus stop and that is the first one after French Quarter to be picked up/dropped off and I found that to be a major plus. You are guaranteed a seat on the bus but you do have to sit through 3 other stops.

Overall I had no issues with the room and would stay there again if I was doing a short trip.

I've stayed in Alligator Bayou (pre-refurb) and I really enjoyed all the little details back then. I only use the rooms for sleeping/showering so if the rooms did drive me batty, I don't remember.

I stayed at FQ pre-refurb, and to be honest, I really don't remember much about the room.

I'd stay at either one in a heartbeat if the price was right.
Thanks for this!
You mentioned price, which I didn't originally, but I think the price IS a major part of my second thoughts. I stayed at Coronado Springs a couple weeks ago (Casitas), and I loved the room there...so I guess in the back of my mind, I'm comparing CSR and POR, especially since the standard rooms are within a few dollars of each other for our dates. And from what I can tell online, the room at CSR is a level above POR.

I love the AB section because of the lush foliage. The rooms are fine, in my opinion, and not really very different than a deluxe room.
I think that's why I liked it, too...there was something Fort Wilderness-level calming about it! That's interesting that the rooms didn't seem much different than a deluxe! I'm curious if you're talking DVC villas?? Because I actually liked my CSR room better than the BRV studio I stayed at in 2018 (my only 'deluxe' experience).

Either way, it's good to hear from someone who can compare the rooms at deluxe resorts to POR. Thank you!
I stayed in an Alligator Bayou room in Feb (was the only thing available for my days) and I assumed the rooms had been recently refurbed since it looked really nice/not run down. I did think the room was small if we had more than 3 adults but that applies to a lot of rooms at Disney World so that's not a dig at Riverside specifically. I was in a building close to the West Depot bus stop and that is the first one after French Quarter to be picked up/dropped off and I found that to be a major plus. You are guaranteed a seat on the bus but you do have to sit through 3 other stops.

Overall I had no issues with the room and would stay there again if I was doing a short trip.
Great info! Glad to know the room looked recently refurbed and really nice! The last room tour video I watched for Alligator Bayou actually zoomed in and focused on the seat fabric for the 5th sleeper (in its non-sleeper position) and I saw it was a snake and not random while lines which is what it looked like in the other videos. Point being that youtube and instagram are handy but no substitution for being there yourself or hearing from others who have.

What you said about a short trip -- I think a few nights at POR combined with two elsewhere might be the direction to go!

I'm just grateful to know that the rooms aren't giving off "needs a refurb" vibes!

I think that's why I liked it, too...there was something Fort Wilderness-level calming about it! That's interesting that the rooms didn't seem much different than a deluxe! I'm curious if you're talking DVC villas?? Because I actually liked my CSR room better than the BRV studio I stayed at in 2018 (my only 'deluxe' experience).
I was talking about the regular resort rooms. The DVC rooms are very different and not really comparable, imo.

:)

We have stayed at POR both pre-refurb and post and have loved it. We are planning to stay Deluxe this summer as of right now---provided that a discount for late summer drops soon. Otherwise, back to POR we go! The grounds are beautiful, the boat to DS is a bonus and we like the fun environment of the main pool--but the serene and shaded areas of the quiet pools in Alligator Bayou. I also believe the rooms at POR are some of the larger moderate rooms---at least that is what I remember reading years ago. We never felt cramped as a family of four, even with a double stroller in the room with us.

We have stayed at POR both pre-refurb and post and have loved it. We are planning to stay Deluxe this summer as of right now---provided that a discount for late summer drops soon. Otherwise, back to POR we go! The grounds are beautiful, the boat to DS is a bonus and we like the fun environment of the main pool--but the serene and shaded areas of the quiet pools in Alligator Bayou. I also believe the rooms at POR are some of the larger moderate rooms---at least that is what I remember reading years ago. We never felt cramped as a family of four, even with a double stroller in the room with us.
FYI the discount dropped today if you’re a Disney+ subscriber

One of the BEST sources for all things port orleans is really https://www.portorleans.org/

The port orleans dedicated threads are also awesome.
Thanks! I found that site back in 2015 before we committed to the AoA Little Mermaid room (shower tile was the clincher) and it's really something. I'd forgotten about it!

I wanted to cast a slightly broader net so that was why I didn't put this on the POR thread here. Hope that's okay.

Thanks for your input. Sounds like you'd be happy to return to POR even if trading in a deluxe! I still hope you can take advantage of the late summer discount that came out today though!

It's good to know that at the very least the rooms haven't been a downer for anyone.

Actually I just realized I asked a very similar question last month about the cabins at FW. And was reassured they were in good condition. Sure enough, when I walked in for the first time, I decided it was better in person!

I have stayed in POFQ, and both the mansion and AB sections of POR. My favorite is the AB section. It is so relaxing with the greenery and the green space between buildings. Each area feels so private. The last time we were there we walked the full length of the resort and really looked at the property to appreciate the subtle details. The first section of AB close to the main building is supposed to be the most "rustic". As you move towards the mansions, details like the style of roofing material, railings, building details and landscaping slowly change. It is supposed to represent the evolution of the area from more rustic country living to the fancier manicured styles of the plantation times. I thought it was so cool and while I had noticed the major differences between the 2 areas I had never appreciated the subtle changes and the attention that went in to making the theming so cohesive.
For reference, we have stayed at a few deluxe (WL, AKL, YC, BLT) and a couple of other moderates (CBR, CSR). Of the moderates, POR is my favorite which is why we keep going back there.

I recently walked around POR for an hour or so before I went to the airport (I devoted the day to visiting different resorts I'd seen hundreds of times in photos but never in person) and it was beautiful. In fact it was my last stop before heading back to POP to retrieve my luggage and I was getting a little anxious about the hours of traveling ahead of me...but when I walked into the Alligator Bayou section I actually felt myself relax! I promised myself I'd try to stay there in the future.

My parents are planning a WDW visit before a cruise in early December, and I think it's very much their style, too. However...I've been watching some room tours, and the rooms themselves are giving me pause. Although I very much like and respect the theming in the Royal Rooms (magic lamp faucets!), they wouldn't be the right fit for more than a night or so. And while I like many of the individual elements of the AB/MB rooms...they're not appealing as a whole. If that makes sense.

Anyway, even though it's early days, I'm torn. If you've stayed at POR in a not-Royal room, I'd really like to hear your impressions! (I'm wondering if it's the lighting in the videos I watched, or the texture on the walls that's making them appear not as 'nice' as usual.) The POFQ rooms look pretty similar, so if you've stayed there recently, I'd appreciate impressions on the rooms there as well!

POR is our favorite resort! Like you, we always stayed and loved the AB rooms, and the ambience. It is like being in a tropical area with their small bridges, winding paths, and really nice quiet pools. That area is closest to the main building too.
As far as the rooms, they were just fine for us, and 4 people fit comfortably. We had a small child who used the fold down bed and it was fine. I honestly don't know what you mean by the rooms walls, etc? Everything looked good to me and I guess I didn't pay much attention because I loved it all. You can't miss by staying at POR and in the Bayou area. It IS beautiful and very relaxing. We are older so I think your older family members will like it too:)

The first section of AB close to the main building is supposed to be the most "rustic". As you move towards the mansions, details like the style of roofing material, railings, building details and landscaping slowly change. It is supposed to represent the evolution of the area from more rustic country living to the fancier manicured styles of the plantation times. I thought it was so cool and while I had noticed the major differences between the 2 areas I had never appreciated the subtle changes and the attention that went in to making the theming so cohesive.
That is really interesting. We will be at POR this month and I will check it out. :)

POR is the only moderate we have stayed out and we love it. We usually stay at the deluxe resorts but really enjoy POR, too. :)

we absolutely loved our AB room 2 weeks ago-we stayed for 7 nights! The entire resort is just so pretty and lovely to walk around. We were really only in our room to sleep/shower. The rooms have all recently been renovated (with the exception of the royal rooms). We had laminate flooring, plenty of USB's, lots of light, great theming, comfy beds with under bed storage. AC was awesome-not annoying like some window units can be. The shower had good pressure and plenty of hot water. It was also quiet...we heard nothing anytime we were in the room to rest or at night. We have NO complaints about the room at all!

I think the grounds are lovely! But I personally think the rooms are a downgrade from Coronado, if that's what you're comparing to.

We've stayed in both AB and MB royal rooms and POFQ and they're great rooms but they're a tad dated in comparison to some of the resorts that have had refurbs in the last several years. They're just not as fresh as say Coronado or even POP. That could be what's causing you some concern. They're just not as modern but we still find POR to be our favorite moderate. The rooms are by no means luxurious but we don't spend that much time in our room usually when we book at POR so it's really not like we do more than sleep and shower.

And if it's just the two of them, I think the room is fine. We stay there as a family of 4 and it's always a bit tight but it works.

Now if you were asking about Caribbean Beach Resort, I'd say your impressions are accurate, those rooms are in dire need of a refresh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter