Second trip in 2022 but could be final trip!

rebelbuddhist

Mouseketeer
My wife and I have a Dec 2022 Holiday trip booked and have been visiting WDW during Christmas holidays since 2010 except 2020 (pandemic). We are excited that we just booked a second 2022 trip in late June to participate in the Flower and Garden sho9w for the 1st time. Since retiring, we have become avid but novice gardeners. The only downside is that the reason for trip 6 months earlier in June is due to a diagnosis of a reoccurrence of cancer and we can't plan on the Dec trip as being possible. The F&G June trip gives us a focus as we are avid planners. We have never been in June and are wondering what we should be sure to do on this trip. Any suggestions?

I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope treatment goes smoothly! I would prioritize this trip on all the things you've always wanted to do but have maybe been putting off. Stay at that resort you dream of, take those tours you've never experienced, try out the restaurants you've been wanting to try!

As for June specifically, staying at a resort that has a wonderful pool (BC/YC have the BEST pool on property) would be a good idea as June is HOT here in FL, especially for those not used to hot/humid weather frequently. If it's your thing, I would consider a water park! Typhoon Lagoon has a lovely lazy river if you're just trying to relax and get some down time.

I would plan to do early mornings, relax at the pool in the afternoons, and go back out at night to make the most of the your day and beat the heat. The F&G show is awesome and the park looks absolutely beautiful during it! Pre-covid they had a tent with a whole bunch of butteflies & moths flying about and some may even land on you. Definitely a highlight I remember!

My parent's favorite is visiting JellyRolls in the evening, it's a dueling piano bar and they always have the best time.

Hope you have a wonderful time! :goodvibes

Stay CL at BWI if at all possible.
If not CL then pick one of the Epcot area resorts.
This way you can spend as much time at Epcot as possible and have a place to return to for relaxing if you need it.
Book park reservations for other parks in the morning if you want but get a hopper ticket so you can go to Epcot each day. Book your dream ADR.
Reserve a fireworks cruise for one evening.

My sister and I were at the F&G in 2018, and it was so beautiful. I think our most impressive pictures of the entire trip were taken in the middle of Epcot, with an expanse of flowers and the monorail behind us.
One thing we were surprised to learn before we went was that there are concerts during the festival. We planned one of our Epcot days to coincide with an artist we like (JoDee Messina). We stayed for most of the show but not all; it wasn't too long - just long enough to sit with a drink. There are shaded seats closer to the stage but we sat in the back. Anyway here's what I found for June (from the disney food blog). No matter what, I hope you have a blast!
  • Little River Band
    May 29th and 30th
  • Simple Plan
    June 3rd to 6th
  • Herman’s Hermits starring Peter Noone
    June 10th to 13th
  • Plain White T’s
    June 17th to 20th
  • TBD
    June 24th and 25th
  • TBD
    June 26th and 27th

Am I correct in thinking that there are several ways to ride/see attractions?

1) Wait in stand by line
2) Buy IALL for 2 different attractions per day..... can purchase 2 more if you park hop at a 2nd park after 2 pm,,,, must be in 2nd park to purchase
3) Purchase Genie + at 7:00 am and make a reservation for one attraction at a time (no duplicates) or another at least 2 hrs later than any already booked
4) If eligible, do DAS virtual chat and choose 2 Genie+ attractions (no IALL) advance purchases per day 30-2 days in advance. Can duplicate IALL or Genie + purchases. Strict one hour window to use.
5) Day of, in park use DAS to reserve one attraction at a time......... can duplicate IALL, advance DAS or Genie + purchases/reservations.

Do I have it correct? Thanks in advance for any reply.

Last edited:
My husband just finished chemo and we are heading down in 9 days to celebrate his remission and our 50th wedding anniversary on the 18th. We decided to do it up big and are staying at the Boardwalk on the club level. We have stayed there often with a discount, but none was available this time. We are also going back in March for the beginning of the Flower and Garden. I love that time of year. The gardens are beautiful. We will be at the Boardwalk once again, because why not? It is also my granddaughter’s cheer competition so we will watch that. If you can afford it do the Boardwalk Club. The cast is amazing there

My husband just finished chemo and we are heading down in 9 days to celebrate his remission and our 50th wedding anniversary on the 18th. We decided to do it up big and are staying at the Boardwalk on the club level. We have stayed there often with a discount, but none was available this time. We are also going back in March for the beginning of the Flower and Garden. I love that time of year. The gardens are beautiful. We will be at the Boardwalk once again, because why not? It is also my granddaughter’s cheer competition so we will watch that. If you can afford it do the Boardwalk Club. The cast is amazing there
Unfortunately, Boardwalk Club level is out of our price range. We will stay at Pop Century since all we do at the resort is shower and sleep! We spend most of our time in the parks and visiting other resorts with long, leisurely meals. There is so much to do/see/experience that we are in our room only when necessary. We have discovered places to rest/relax in each park and at several resorts so we don't return to our room, but do take several breaks during the day including table service meals. Thanks for the good thoughts and wishes. After this current round of radiation/chemo, I have decided to live with the cancer for as long as I can but no more medical interventions! WDW may do more for me than any medicine.

I have no tips, just well wishes for your health and happiness! ❤️

Unfortunately, Boardwalk Club level is out of our price range. We will stay at Pop Century since all we do at the resort is shower and sleep! We spend most of our time in the parks and visiting other resorts with long, leisurely meals. There is so much to do/see/experience that we are in our room only when necessary. We have discovered places to rest/relax in each park and at several resorts so we don't return to our room, but do take several breaks during the day including table service meals. Thanks for the good thoughts and wishes. After this current round of radiation/chemo, I have decided to live with the cancer for as long as I can but no more medical interventions! WDW may do more for me than any medicine.
I am saying prayers for you to enjoy your trip and hope you have a wonderful time. You have made the decision that is best for you and your family. Much love and prayers for you.

No real advice on June, other than maybe order some battery-powered fans on a lanyard to carry around your neck if you're not a fan of the heat (we did June last year and the fans made standing in the sun outside bearable); but I do wish you guys the best, and send lots of good vibes and prayers your way. I hope your trip is absolutely magical from start to finish.

I recommend doing a search for going during the summer and checking out all of the tips for staying cool. I highly recommend UV umbrellas. They helped with cooking us down and with the sudden rain. I highly recommend those afternoon breaks and hitting the parks for dinner and rides after dark.

No real advice on June, other than maybe order some battery-powered fans on a lanyard to carry around your neck if you're not a fan of the heat (we did June last year and the fans made standing in the sun outside bearable); but I do wish you guys the best, and send lots of good vibes and prayers your way. I hope your trip is absolutely magical from start to finish.
Thank you so much for the encouraging words

I recommend doing a search for going during the summer and checking out all of the tips for staying cool. I highly recommend UV umbrellas. They helped with cooking us down and with the sudden rain. I highly recommend those afternoon breaks and hitting the parks for dinner and rides after dark.
Thank you for your suggestions

This is just me, but many times Frogg Togg towels are suggested. I dislike them. I really don't like carrying around the wet noodle around my neck all day. It doesn't seem to help me cool down. They just irritate me.

Next are things that I do like. I tried a UV umbrella on my last trip and loved it. I just bought a cheap one off Amazon. It wasn't windy. Had the wind kicked up, I am not sure how long it would have lasted. I may invest in a better quality one. Secondly, I like to wear quick drying shorts and shirts. Splash and Kali seem to crank it up a notch in summer and I hate to walk around with soaked clothes. Sometimes I soak myself with perspiration and the quick dry clothes help. I also like a hand held fan small enough to put in my backpack. I found a rechargeable one on Amazon I liked. 645779

I hope your trip works out to be the best ever. Sending prayers and a big virtual hug from a fellow Disney fan!

This is just me, but many times Frogg Togg towels are suggested. I dislike them. I really don't like carrying around the wet noodle around my neck all day. It doesn't seem to help me cool down. They just irritate me.

Next are things that I do like. I tried a UV umbrella on my last trip and loved it. I just bought a cheap one off Amazon. It wasn't windy. Had the wind kicked up, I am not sure how long it would have lasted. I may invest in a better quality one. Secondly, I like to wear quick drying shorts and shirts. Splash and Kali seem to crank it up a notch in summer and I hate to walk around with soaked clothes. Sometimes I soak myself with perspiration and the quick dry clothes help. I also like a hand held fan small enough to put in my backpack. I found a rechargeable one on Amazon I liked. View attachment 645779

I hope your trip works out to be the best ever. Sending prayers and a big virtual hug from a fellow Disney fan!
Thanks ever so much for the uplifting and kind words.

Next are things that I do like. I tried a UV umbrella on my last trip and loved it. I just bought a cheap one off Amazon. It wasn't windy. Had the wind kicked up, I am not sure how long it would have lasted. I may invest in a better quality one. Secondly, I like to wear quick drying shorts and shirts. Splash and Kali seem to crank it up a notch in summer and I hate to walk around with soaked clothes. Sometimes I soak myself with perspiration and the quick dry clothes help. I also like a hand held fan small enough to put in my backpack. I found a rechargeable one on Amazon I liked. View attachment 645779

THANKS for the encouraging words.

Thanks for your advice. We knew nothing about UV umbrellas-- so we ordered two on-line.......

Stay hydrated with water.

I recommend clothing/footwear that is breathable. I like my waterproof KEEN brand sandels and I'm not a brand type of guy, but they are really solid footwear and my feet kept cool and were comfortable.

I don't see a huge benefits of fans, but the rest of my family like hand-held fans. A cooling towel can be helpful when you sit for a rest, in my opinion.

Gatorade chews can help with hydration. Fresh fruit is very underrated in my opinion. Eat some fresh fruit if you can for breakfast or early in your day. It has vitamins and more water in it than you think.

I think planned air conditioning breaks is a good idea. Try to plan dining, attractions and shopping in the a/c throughout the day to help with the heat. For instance, go to the American Pavilion to sit in the theater mid-day after watching some live entertainment outside. Japan, Mexico and UK's shopping areas are nice to walk through and the a/c is comfortable. The Canada Pavilion has some nice shaded quiet areas as you walk back into the pavilion, whereas I find the Italy and France pavilions to be more open and less shaded. I think you can sort of plan out areas where you may be during the day and then look at those areas as places where you can rest and maybe beat the heat with some shade, a fan, and a cold drink.

As for rain, I'm an advocate for disposable ponchos. Pack'em, use'm and toss'em each rain event. Way more convenient for me than folding a wet poncho and repacking it.

I will add you to my daily prayer intentions. God bless!

Just to let you know I know what you're going through. I usually stay at Old Key West for 4-5 months (yes that long) but haven't been since March 12 2020. I was just diagnosed with lung cancer. We have reservations for October 23 thru December 12th but are now rethinking because of the obvious. The one suggestion i will give you is go to one of the customer service areas in the park (I hear HS is a good one to do this in) and explain your disability. They should mark your entrance with a disability category and you can sign up for rides and they will tell you when you should return. It will save you alot of time. It will get very hot waiting in lines so this is the only suggestion I can make. Good luck to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter