Secret River Cozumel Excursion/Sea Sickness on Ferry

timandlesley

<font color=darkorchid>The tag fairy may not but t
I have this booked for our May cruise and after reading a few reviews and seeing photos was SO excited. After more digging I've read a lot of horror stories about the ferry and people being really sea sick. Can anyone tell me if you've had a POSITIVE ride experience during this excursions or if the stories are all true. I don't want my family to be upset with me if they spend the ferry ride puking and are unable to enjoy the secret river. Any insight/advice/experiences are much appreciated.
Thanks!
Lesley

YeS those ferry to the mainland effect a lot of people, they are low in the water, and enclosed so they make people I'll, my daughter was ill on them. The closer to the sea you are the worse it is, you get the random movements there.

I have this booked for our May cruise and after reading a few reviews and seeing photos was SO excited. After more digging I've read a lot of horror stories about the ferry and people being really sea sick. Can anyone tell me if you've had a POSITIVE ride experience during this excursions or if the stories are all true. I don't want my family to be upset with me if they spend the ferry ride puking and are unable to enjoy the secret river. Any insight/advice/experiences are much appreciated.
Thanks!
Lesley

I don't mean to scare you into changing the trip but several years ago we booked the ruins tour that required ferrying to Playa Del Carmen from Cozumel. Now, it was winter and they say the seas are worse that time of year but out of the four of us I was the only one that did not get sick. When we got to Playa Del Carmen we skipped the tour so the others could recuperate resting on the beach. Then, we had to get back on the ferry to get back to the Magic! Got to the upper deck but it was still bad. Most of the people on the ferry were sick.

Now, in May the seas could be calmer and if you take the medication to prevent the sea sickness you could be fine.

I don't mean to scare you into changing the trip but several years ago we booked the ruins tour that required ferrying to Playa Del Carmen from Cozumel. Now, it was winter and they say the seas are worse that time of year but out of the four of us I was the only one that did not get sick. When we got to Playa Del Carmen we skipped the tour so the others could recuperate resting on the beach. Then, we had to get back on the ferry to get back to the Magic! Got to the upper deck but it was still bad. Most of the people on the ferry were sick.

Now, in May the seas could be calmer and if you take the medication to prevent the sea sickness you could be fine.

Yes higher is better lower and inside you get ill.

We road the Cozumel to Play del Carmen ferry during March and it while I don't think the seas were over roughly or anything but several folks were getting sick. Didn't affect us as we had our motion sickness patches on. We did the Excaret trip which was the reason for the ferry for us. I was worried about the ferry as well but we were o.k. The day at Excaret was great and I'm glad we did it. I'd say say sit higher and use some sea sickness meds. Good luck!

We took the Mexican Waterjet from Cozumel to Mexico for the Tulum excursion. I made sure we were all medicated with the sea sickness meds. The poor people in front of us were all sick. Twins and their Dad were having a really hard time. The boat was in and out of the waves and I highly recommend meds. The pills are free at guest services for adults. For the kids I used kids Dramamine.

I did that exact excursion and loved it!!!!!! 4 of us did it. 2 out of the 4 got Ill. 1 got pretty bad. The excursion is great and I wouldn't recommend canceling. Try the sea sick medicine

We took the ferry in Cozumel to Playa del Carmen for an excursion to the caves and it was rough. This was in April of 2013. It was about a 40 minute ride in each direction. I knew it was going to be unpleasant when I saw the ferry staff handing out bags. :crazy2: My family was very lucky that none of actually got sick, but many around us did and it was a very uncomfortable and anxious trip for all of us. The boat was really rocking and we were enclosed on the bottom with no open windows. I felt terrible for the people I saw who were stuck there for the day knowing they had to return on the ferry. Knowing what I know now I would never choose an excursion like that again. It was stressful and I was disappointed with Disney for not warning us about what the travel conditions would entail. We were also dropped off in town in Playa del Carmen and it was filthy and disconcerting to see the men with machine guns at their government buildings. I will never go there again. When I talk to my kids about what excursions we have planned for our cruises the first question they ask is, "We don't have to ride that ferry again, do we?" That being said, one of our very favorite excursions was in Cozumel on a catamaran snorkel sail that included a trip to a private beach. I would highly recommend something like that.

So nervous about the Secret a River excursion now. I don't typically get seasick. Nobody in my family does. But I ~have~ been seasick before. It's been almost 30 years ago but I still remember the wishing for death clearly.

I don't take any Dramamine or Bonine because both make me into a zombie. I hate to spend so much getting sea sickness patches just to ride this God forsaken ferry. (Last time I filled that prescription before our first cruise it was $50+.)

So now I'm wondering how I can bow-out on my husband, son, & father-in-law without coming off like a complete jerk. And I'm not spending $100 to go on the sub thing with my mother-in-law and other son. Hhhmmm....how to not be a jerk when I basically say, "Yall have fun. I'll be holding down a bar stool at Margaritaville."

Last edited:
So nervous about the Secret a River excursion now. I don't typically get seasick. Nobody in my family does. But I ~have~ been seasick before. It's been almost 30 years ago but I still remember the wishing for death clearly. So now I'm wondering how I can bow-out on my husband, son, & father-in-law without coming off like a complete jerk. And I'm not spending $100 to go on the sub thing with my mother-in-law and other son. Hhhmmm....how to not be a jerk when I basically say, "Yall have fun. I'll be holding down a bar stool at Margaritaville."

OMG these are my sentiments entirely. I read this thread yesterday and thought how badly I really don't want to go. I am actually not worried about getting sea-sick myself as I am pretty good with things like that and have done fairl rough cross channel ferries and not got sea-sick, I just worry that if others are getting sick near me, I won't cope very well. I tried to broach the subject with my husband last night and he was having none of it but I really want to just hop in a cab and go to a beach or something now - or better still, stay on the ship. Since he gave up the other excursion he wanted to do (zip lining in PV) for me, I guess I will just have to suck it up. But still dreading it!

OMG these are my sentiments entirely. I read this thread yesterday and thought how badly I really don't want to go. I am actually not worried about getting sea-sick myself as I am pretty good with things like that and have done fairl rough cross channel ferries and not got sea-sick, I just worry that if others are getting sick near me, I won't cope very well. I tried to broach the subject with my husband last night and he was having none of it but I really want to just hop in a cab and go to a beach or something now - or better still, stay on the ship. Since he gave up the other excursion he wanted to do (zip lining in PV) for me, I guess I will just have to suck it up. But still dreading it!
I was JUST going to our cruise thread to ask if anyone found a beach club open on Sunday. Honestly, I think that would be a better option for us in light of medical issues that came up with my FiL very recently. Hopefully my inlaws can still cruise with us. We won't know for sure until just before the trip.

I was JUST going to our cruise thread to ask if anyone found a beach club open on Sunday. Honestly, I think that would be a better option for us in light of medical issues that came up with my FiL very recently. Hopefully my inlaws can still cruise with us. We won't know for sure until just before the trip.

Oh no, hope he is OK and can still join you on the cruise. I know that a couple of people were looking at beach breaks, don't know if they had any luck. I know Nachi is definitely closed.

I saw that somebody mentioned they were going to Playa Mia in Cozumel so that is obviously open.

For those considering to not do the excursion because of the stories of seasickness: On two cruises that stopped in Cozumel, it was exactly that (and the long travel time) that made us decide against the Secret River excursion. And then afterwards we heard so many wonderful stories from our fellow cruisers who had done the Secret River about how fantastic the excursion had been that we were really sorry to have missed out on it. Nobody who we spoke with had any problems on the ferry. I know that the next time I am in Cozumel, I will brave the ferry ride and just make sure to take some motion sickness medication before I go on the ferry. But then, the idea of swiming through the underground river is something that really appeals to me. Others might see it differently...

I saw that somebody mentioned they were going to Playa Mia in Cozumel so that is obviously open.
I just tried to reserve Playa Mia to see if the day was available. It told me to choose another day. :( I found one, tho. Now to talk everyone into it! LOL!

For those considering to not do the excursion because of the stories of seasickness: On two cruises that stopped in Cozumel, it was exactly that (and the long travel time) that made us decide against the Secret River excursion. And then afterwards we heard so many wonderful stories from our fellow cruisers who had done the Secret River about how fantastic the excursion had been that we were really sorry to have missed out on it. Nobody who we spoke with had any problems on the ferry. I know that the next time I am in Cozumel, I will brave the ferry ride and just make sure to take some motion sickness medication before I go on the ferry. But then, the idea of swiming through the underground river is something that really appeals to me. Others might see it differently...
I've heard good things, too. But I promise if I get sick going across I'll be flying home from Cancun. On day 3 of the 14-night WBPC. Do I chance it? I'm not so sure. If I take sea sick meds I'll be curled up on a curb in Playa sleeping all day. I look like a walker from Walking Dead. It's not good. Maybe DH can get his dr to call in the scrip for the patch. Maybe then. If not then there is no way. If I'm not sick being in the presence of other people ralphing is likely to do it. Is it worth chancing just 1 of 4 port days for the whole cruise???

I've heard good things, too. But I promise if I get sick going across I'll be flying home from Cancun. On day 3 of the 14-night WBPC. Do I chance it? I'm not so sure. If I take sea sick meds I'll be curled up on a curb in Playa sleeping all day. I look like a walker from Walking Dead. It's not good. Maybe DH can get his dr to call in the scrip for the patch. Maybe then. If not then there is no way. If I'm not sick being in the presence of other people ralphing is likely to do it. Is it worth chancing just 1 of 4 port days for the whole cruise???

I totally understand your reasoning. Even though I am at least not affected by drowsiness from seasickness meds. But this is exactly what made me not do the excursion and in hindsight I regretted it. From what I have read in the past and heard from some fellow cruisers, the outside deck is much better than the inside.

I totally understand your reasoning. Even though I am at least not affected by drowsiness from seasickness meds. But this is exactly what made me not do the excursion and in hindsight I regretted it. From what I have read in the past and heard from some fellow cruisers, the outside deck is much better than the inside.
Is there an outside deck? I could do that.

My hubby sold his boat last year. Being down near the water line in big pitching swells we've all done just fine in recent years. It was a 19.5 ft. bass boat. If you're on the other side of the reservoir/lake from the launch when the wind picks up the ride back is much like Deadluest Catch fun.

Is there an outside deck? I could do that.

My hubby sold his boat last year. Being down near the water line in big pitching swells we've all done just fine in recent years. It was a 19.5 ft. bass boat. If you're on the other side of the reservoir/lake from the launch when the wind picks up the ride back is much like Deadluest Catch fun.

Seems like you are doing ok in waves!

Keep in mind, this is not my own experience with the excursion, just what I learned from looking into the issue. But this should be the ferry: http://www.granpuerto.com.mx/en/ And there you can see the top deck that is open air. I imagine it to be very windy and sunny up there, I guess that's why a lot of people opt for indoor. I have been on highspeed catamaran ferries (like this one seems to be) and they tend to be very bumpy. Not the nice rolling movement that the cruise ship has.

We've taken the ferry back and forth to the mainland a few times, and it was fine twice, a little unpleasant once, and truly horrible once. (I could share details, but honestly, you're happier not knowing. _Lots_ of people were seasick, and I'll leave it at that.) The last couple of trips we've stayed on Cozumel and gone to Chankanaab rather than deal with the ferries. My mother has stated that she will never do a ferry again, so when we travel with her, leaving Cozumel is no longer an option. We will probably eventually go back, to do specifically the excursion you're considering, but not when we travel with my mom. We'll go when the memory of the awful trip is just a little dimmer. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter