Security and cargo shorts?

dawnball

<font color=red>bouncie bouncie...<br><font color=
It's been a few years since I've been to WDW and bag check has changed a lot. I used to be able to shove whatever I needed in my cargo pockets and stroll through the no bag line.

Can I still do that? Do I need to empty my pockets for metal detectors or just pull out metal items?

What about a stroller? Are a couple of loose items (water bottle, sippy cup, etc) under the stroller ok? Can I wear my baby in a carrier through security?

Last year, 7 days out of 9, I walked through the no bag line, cargo shorts pockets loaded to the hilt, without so much as a second look. One day, I was politely asked to empty my pockets, and go through the metal detector. One day, I was aggressively pursued by multiple security persons as though I was a terrorist. Apparently, someone had asked me to stop and empty my pockets, and I either didn't hear them, or just didn't realize that they were speaking to me, and it was a big deal, or at least, it was a much bigger deal to the security guard in question than it seemed like it needed to be. So, that is my story on the pockets. Most of the time, I think they won't look twice, but be aware as you walk through that they might ask you to stop.

Stroller, if I recall correctly, there is a special gate for strollers, and they will check anything you might have in it.

Baby carrier, I'm sure you can wear it. I don't know if they have a protocol for checking it, as I've never used one.

Usually I go bagless with small items in our shorts pockets - usually no problem. On the last trip we were stopped and questioned about why our pockets were so "full". We were made to empty our pockets and I pulled out a small change purse - big enough for folded cash and a credit card. I was told if it has a zipper or snap, it's a bag - therefore, I was not bagless. That night I went to Walmart and purchased a cheap velcro man's fold-up wallet. Put my cash and credit card in it - no problem!!!

It seems that more and more people are being stopped in the bagless line and sent through the scanners. Then, they have to empty their pockets completely. And if your pockets look really full? They'll stop you anyway.

Last year I was "randomly" selected every time I entered MK to go through the metal detector. Haha.

They are definitely increased the intensity of the security checks. On our trip in July my backpack was more thoroughly checked everywhere than any time in the past. It was very common to have them basically empty out your backpack or purse in order to make sure they could see everything and they were also removing smaller bags that were in backpacks (like camera bags, cosmetic bags, larger wallets, etc) and looking through each of those as well. My DH goes through the bagless line and they weren't doing the "randomly selected" thing at any of the parks - everyone who went through the bagless line HAD to go through the metal detectors. When we were there they were telling people they had to empty their pockets. Oddly they were telling people they could keep their belts on but then EVERYONE'S belt seemed to set of the metal detectors. At every security check I got through the bag check line faster than my DH got through the bagless line because I never had to go through the metal detectors (in fact or first day I went over to go through the metal detector because I though everyone had to and the security guy told me I didn't need to.

You can go through the no bag line. As long as they don't see massive buldging from your pockets they won't say anything. If they do they might ask to quickly check your pockets or send you through the metal detector.

If you do go through the metal detector, just like any metal detector you'll have to empty your pockets and walk through

We have learned to go bagless whenever possible. When we had a backpack, the bag check line was quite long and when it was our turn, it seemed to take forever for them to open every zipper, every pocket, much more thoroughly than at the airport. This weekend we went to HS and EPCOT and had no bags. In both instances, the metal detector line was rapidly backing up and they were waving throngs of people through without going through the detector in order to keep the line moving. In both cases, we were in the waved through group.

Also remember if you are going through any of the monorail resorts over to MK or any other monorail resort you WILL go through metal detectors. Everyone does, except children and strollers. So you WILL have too empty the contents of your pockets in the little tray

Thank you for this thread.
I am able to bring in a bottle of water, DD iced coffee or DD Colada in the mornings/evenings?
Thank you.

We use the bagless line. DH wears cargo shorts and I wear a skirt with pockets hidden in the shorts underneath.
Last year we found that they were pulling us for checks in the metal detectors quite often.
On our trips so far this year we have not found them to be pulling nearly as often.
Other than at Epcot. Epcot tends to check all guests without bags at the main entrance and all guests in the IG
We find it super easy to pull our stuff out of our pockets and drop it in the bins, walk in the metal detectors and on in. We seldom even have to break stride. We've mastered the timing and know when to take the things out of our pockets and drop them in the bins, all while walking. We just time our stroll so we don't have to stop

We see several strollers enter the bag free lines with us and as long as there are NO bags of any sort in the stroller they will allow them in the bag free entrance. A bottle of water or jacket in the bottom is ok. But not a shopping bag, etc. When they've had any bag in them they've sent them over to the bag check. But a blanket for the child, jacket, etc. Those have been ok.

Also remember if you are going through any of the monorail resorts over to MK or any other monorail resort you WILL go through metal detectors. Everyone does, except children and strollers. So you WILL have too empty the contents of your pockets in the little tray
Boats too, if I remember correctly. Pretty sure when we stayed at WL earlier this year they did the same way, everyone leaving the boat had to go through the scanner

Thank you for this thread.
I am able to bring in a bottle of water, DD iced coffee or DD Colada in the mornings/evenings?
Thank you.
Yes. Though the more jovial guards will ask if you have some to share ;)

We also go bagless, my son wears cargo shorts and I try to wear a pair or shorts or capris with pockets or a sundress with pockets. We only carry our cell phones and wallets. My son, of course, just has a mens fold over wallet and I have one of those little slim flip wallets. This year I've bought one of the little things to go on the back of my cell phone that will hold a couple of cards and some cash so no wallet for me. I have been stopped if I'm wearing boys cargo pants with a poncho in the pocket because they do bulge and I had to empty it and get a pat down (cause a little not young woman looks scary). My son has to go through the metal detector no matter which park we go to, every single time. We always laugh about it because he is very obviously ex-military, wears his hair high and tight and has that walk but also has tatoos on both his upper arms which just peek out of the sleeves of a Tshirt. We can't figure out if it's his walk or the tatoos or what.

It's been a few years since I've been to WDW and bag check has changed a lot. I used to be able to shove whatever I needed in my cargo pockets and stroll through the no bag line.

Can I still do that? Do I need to empty my pockets for metal detectors or just pull out metal items?

What about a stroller? Are a couple of loose items (water bottle, sippy cup, etc) under the stroller ok? Can I wear my baby in a carrier through security?

Cargo pants and no bag -- no bag line
You will need to empty your pockets if you are going thru the metal detector.
Stroller can go in no bag line. Loose items are okay, but if you have bags, you need to open them in the bag line.
Not sure about the baby in the carrier, I think you have to remove the baby if you go in the metal detector.

It sounds like I might want the option of putting everything in a bag for bag check. I'll be traveling with an 8 month old, so the pockets clearly have stuff in them. Pulling it all out isn't a problem, but when you're reloading in a hurry it's easy to put something in the wrong pocket.

We have learned to go bagless whenever possible. When we had a backpack, the bag check line was quite long and when it was our turn, it seemed to take forever for them to open every zipper, every pocket, much more thoroughly than at the airport. This weekend we went to HS and EPCOT and had no bags. In both instances, the metal detector line was rapidly backing up and they were waving throngs of people through without going through the detector in order to keep the line moving. In both cases, we were in the waved through group.
You should be opening every zipper before you get to the head of the table. That is part of the reason the lines are held up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter