Security Lines in the Parks

Grandmaof2

Mouseketeer
I understand it quite different getting into the Parks since 2016. Are there still 2 different lines getting into each park? How has the procedure changed? Thank you.

They now use scanners and most people can walk through the scanners without having their bags searched. You do have to hold an umbrella out in front of you when walking through the scanners, and there might be a few other things, but it is a lot quicker than it used to be. Most people just walk through the scanners and head to the touch posts. Strollers, wheelchairs and ECVs go through a separate line.

The procedure is so much simpler now most of the time. As mentioned above, we have had an umbrella checked following the walk through the scanner, but it is way more efficient and effective now. We learned from that. No more security unzipping 12 zippers on a bag to check all compartments!

I understand it quite different getting into the Parks since 2016. Are there still 2 different lines getting into each park? How has the procedure changed? Thank you.
You walk through the scanner, if your bags (or person) is flagged with things like metal water bottles, hard glasses cases, or other materials - you are sent for a bag check. Otherwise, if you are holding those items out in the open for them to see - they wave you through to scan your magicband, phone, watches, or other ticket media. Very simple and efficient.

They now use scanners and most people can walk through the scanners without having their bags searched. You do have to hold an umbrella out in front of you when walking through the scanners, and there might be a few other things, but it is a lot quicker than it used to be. Most people just walk through the scanners and head to the touch posts. Strollers, wheelchairs and ECVs go through a separate line.
In case anyone needs to know how strollers, wheelchairs, ECVs and rollators/walkers are handled…
- guests are directed where to go by signs, CMs at the screening area and usually also a CM on a microphone as you approach the screening area.

- all bags need to be removed from the stroller, wheelchair, etc. If the person csn walk thru the scanner, they carry the bags as they walk thru the scanner. If they can’t walk, another member of the group carries the bags.
Storage that’s built in or bags that can’t be removed get hand checked like previously

- My DD can’t walk; sometimes they used a hand scanner on her or had her lean forward to look behind her back.

my older grand daughters loungefly bag was flagged the first 2-3 times we entered the park. once she started taking her eye glass case out and holding it in front of her she was fine.

I had a portable cell phone charger that I took out every time, held it in front of me, no issues.
my daughter had the exact same charger, never took it out, no problem. One day her husband had the bag and it set off the machine, odd.

so much faster than our 2016 trip when every bag was checked by hand.

Chain straps can also cause needing to be scanned. My mom took her purse most days to the parks and her purse had a chain section between the bag and leather straps. It set off the scanners every time.

When we were there they made sure to say only 1 person needs to go with the stroller, ecv, etc so you shouldn't have the whole party with you if you do that (aside from what a PP mentioned if you literally cannot aid in the security process and need someone to help out).

They also said to make sure people just walk straight through in a single file but don't stop unless told to go off to the side. I think signage would be helpful in that. Most people are used to metal detectors that is one person through and wait to be directed through rather than these where you need to really keep moving.

One thing it's not just umbrellas and glasses cases, etc. We had portable chargers that were rectangle in shape. ONLY when those two chargers found their way to the bottom or our backpack did that present a problem. We had them in a water resistant bag inside the backpack first day no issues. Next day there was an issue and the CM said it probably was just the way the chargers sat and looked like in the backpack at the bottom. Next time we went through Disney security made sure the bag with the chargers was up towards the top, no issues. Another time we were rushed and they had made their way to the bottom, again my husband was directed to the side. Every other time but those two times we double checked the chargers were up top and never had an issue. Although one time my husband did actually pull the bag out of the backpack and held it in front of him like people were doing with umbrellas but that wasn't really necessary. So long as those chargers were not at the bottom they were fine.

My DISer friend her professional camera always set it off and she knew it and just was prepared every time.

When we were there they made sure to say only 1 person needs to go with the stroller, ecv, etc so you shouldn't have the whole party with you if you do that (aside from what a PP mentioned if you literally cannot aid in the security process and need someone to help out).

They also said to make sure people just walk straight through in a single file but don't stop unless told to go off to the side. I think signage would be helpful in that. Most people are used to metal detectors that is one person through and wait to be directed through rather than these where you need to really keep moving.

One thing it's not just umbrellas and glasses cases, etc. We had portable chargers that were rectangle in shape. ONLY when those two chargers found their way to the bottom or our backpack did that present a problem. We had them in a water resistant bag inside the backpack first day no issues. Next day there was an issue and the CM said it probably was just the way the chargers sat and looked like in the backpack at the bottom. Next time we went through Disney security made sure the bag with the chargers was up towards the top, no issues. Another time we were rushed and they had made their way to the bottom, again my husband was directed to the side. Every other time but those two times we double checked the chargers were up top and never had an issue. Although one time my husband did actually pull the bag out of the backpack and held it in front of him like people were doing with umbrellas but that wasn't really necessary. So long as those chargers were not at the bottom they were fine.

My DISer friend her professional camera always set it off and she knew it and just was prepared every time.
I forgot to add that only one person with the stroller/mobility device, but the CMs make it pretty clear and I only saw one whole group go to that area (not sure they understood English).

I used the exact same small backpack with the exact same stuff during trips in June 2021 and October 2021. My little backpack only had a problem once, but my DD’s backpack alerted multiple times and had to be hand checked.

We were at WDW for 18 days ending May 11, 2022. Both DD and I used the same backpack with the same stuff that we used in the other trips. But during this trip, DD’s backpack alerted once and mine alerted pretty much every time. The CMs never did find anything obvious that made it alert. They said the same thing as you were told - maybe it was just the way things were settled.

They said the same thing as you were told - maybe it was just the way things were settled.
That's the conclusion we came to just with the up and downs of getting directed to the side this time but not that time. Like the chargers themselves weren't the issue just how they looked where they were located at in the bag.

It sure was a much better process than in the past with WDW their newer security procedures so I'll take it!

Others have pretty much given you the run down. I will add if you get pulled to the side, there is usually either no one else there or one other person so it's pretty quick for them to check your bag. I got pulled to the side once with a fanny pack on, I'm guessing my small umbrella was the issue, it was small enough to fit in the pack and I didn't think to pull it out. I had it unzipped and opened before I got to the table and security person just peered in and waved me on. Took all of 30 seconds at most.

Security is 10000000x better than it used to be. I would dread entering parks because of it and now it's easy peasy! Even with a stroller and diaper bag.

I did have a backpack that consistently set it off, even holding it out in front I got flagged. After several hold-ups at the bag search table (one time I had to wait 10 minutes!), I gave up on the bag. It had a big metal bar across the top where the zipper was and set it off 100% of the time. Cute bag, but not worth standing and waiting to have the bag searched every single trip - esp since we often pop in just for a few hours.

Nothing else has ever set off the detector.

I got pulled aside my last day there, entering Epcot. There was nothing different in my bag than the first 5 or 6 times I sailed through. There were about 25 people in line ahead of me at bag check and 2 people doing it. Sometimes I think they decide to do random checks, no other explanation I can think of.

1 of my most favorite pictures of our lil one. Going through so much but still so happy to see DAD! Every Morning!

Great tips and pointers I havent even got that far into planning yet But very good things to consider.

I’ll be taking a small camera will I need to take it out before I go through the scanner. And I guess there is no problem with cell phones.

We found it was best to take all bags off the stroller and have other people in our party hold them. We left stuff that would set off the scanners in the stroller but visible. This worked really well.

This was the best surprise our last trip! Only once was my daughter flagged for having a hard nail kit in her bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter