• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Security Lines in the Parks

Sometimes I think they decide to do random checks, no other explanation I can think of.
I’m pretty sure this happens. Makes sense. It’s an extra hurdle for bad actors that there’s always a chance to be individually searched even if no alarms flagged.
Why are Disney security guards so stand offish/rude?
I’m actually a security Officer myself (In a Academic environment) I just got back from a visit to Disney world with family. When we were passing through the entrance gates I just remembered seeing the guards just constantly yell and don’t say a word to guests or anything. If I had the same demeanor, I would get reprimanded for sure at my contract.
I remember setting off the mental detector a couple of times and they would just wand me and say “you can go”
There were a couple that appeared genuinely friendly including a Orange County deputy I saw but the rest just seemed miserable.

Seems its not just me then...
I have a theory. At the end of the long hot humid season CMs are especially exhausted, particularly those working outdoors the whole time. Months and months of grueling, not only for themselves but guests might generally be extra crabby too this time year. As the weather starts getting better they perk back up. I try to cut them extra slack Aug and Sept.

I'll be using an ECV on my next trip and it'll be the first with these new security lines. Is there one specifically designated for wheelchairs, ECV, and strollers?

I just want to make things easier for all involved (me, security, and the people behind me). I use a rain poncho instead of an umbrella (✔️). I have plastic eyeglass cases that I can use (✔️). Stainless steel water bottle will be plainly visible in the ECV basket and easily reachable if I need to carry it through. Phone will be on a holder on the ECV. I have a FuelRod that I use for re-charging my phone. Will that be too big?

I'll be using an ECV on my next trip and it'll be the first with these new security lines. Is there one specifically designated for wheelchairs, ECV, and strollers?

I just want to make things easier for all involved (me, security, and the people behind me). I use a rain poncho instead of an umbrella (✔️). I have plastic eyeglass cases that I can use (✔️). Stainless steel water bottle will be plainly visible in the ECV basket and easily reachable if I need to carry it through. Phone will be on a holder on the ECV. I have a FuelRod that I use for re-charging my phone. Will that be too big?
Yes.

There are signs and usually Security directing you to that line. Note that all the others in your party are to go through the regular line, not with you. Look for this sign ~ you go to the left where that guard is and everyone else goes to the right with the scanners.

1694884261104.png

I have a small Osprey hiking backpack with a metal back that sets off the detector.

I laughed out loud at Barney Fife! He definitely was.

And so true about the strollers and scooters. I literally was carrying three things!!
We just got back and they definitely checked through our stroller. The basket underneath only had three rain jackets and they wanted them all pulled out. It was a rental so the was a rain cover in a plastic bag zip tied on and they wanted it (the bag) pulled out. I had to explain each time that it doesn’t come out. The parent console had to be open for the to look through too and the shade. After the first couple of days which ever parent was wearing the back pack would pull everything out of the basket and go through the other security line so the stroller would get through faster.

Out of 6 park days I would got my bag completely emptied once. He was very nice and actually asked me if it was okay to touch some of the items in the bag (baby stuff). In the end he wasn’t sure what flagged but guessed it was the extra power packs for our phones, they were next to each other. Then he apologized for making a mess of my bag 😂

We did get pulled a couple other times but they just looked and didn’t take things out.

I TRY my best and so far have succeeded in keeping my patience and just excepting whatever happens at security.
I want WDW to always be my SAFE and Happy Place!!

Yes.

There are signs and usually Security directing you to that line. Note that all the others in your party are to go through the regular line, not with you. Look for this sign ~ you go to the left where that guard is and everyone else goes to the right with the scanners.
You will be asked to walk through the scanner carrying any bags, backpacks, etc. The guard will search through the scooter basket and pockets while you do this. If you are unable to take a few steps, let them know.

I’m a minimalist so carry a water bottle, a million ponchos and not much else which makes mine an easy search. But I see both scooters and strollers absolutely crammed with all manner of things. Just remember they will go through absolutely everything!

Last edited:
You will be asked to walk through the scanner caring any bags, backpacks, etc. The guard will search through the scooter basket and pockets while you do this. If you are unable to take a few steps, let them know.

I’m a minimalist so carry a water bottle, a million ponchos and not much else which makes mine an easy search. But I see both scooters and strollers absolutely crammed with all manner of things. Just remember they will go through absolutely everything!
Great additional information on process.

You could have just said I was lying about my experiences (including the Epcot CM I mentioned, that two other local AP friends have also experienced first hand, but clearly they are liars too) and moved on :confused3

I am sure glad you came in as the end-all-be-all expert on every single security encounter and experience for every single Disney visitor at WDW and set the record straight (on a social media platform, of all things...) We now know to not bother with sharing our own experiences and encounters because we are all lying and only you know the truth. What a blessing it is that we have your wealth of knowledge and insight - hope Disney is paying you for your consulting work, as your talent shouldn't be wasted on us lowly park visitors that just want to share our love for Disney.
Glad to help.

I can't imagine going back to the days before the scanners were in place. It was just a nightmare to get into any park with a bag. We now have no problem going right through the scanner with a back pack and cooler. My wife learned quickly not to bring her glasses case and we no longer have any issues.

NOPE.

Three different weeks this year, all parks, multiple parks so multiple checks per day. Had no issues. I think I got pulled a couple times and it was because I forgot to pull out a few key items (glasses case or battery charger). They quickly looked at my bag and sent me on my way.

Most of the people I saw pulled over had strollers packed to the brim or folks with huge packed backpacks. In those cases it's not surprising. Smaller backpacks (like mine) were likely due to leaving objects inside that I should have pulled out.

I like the current security SO MUCH BETTER than the old way. It is faster and more efficient and I feel safer. I have never had anyone be rude or inconsiderate. Although I am sure there will be one off here and there. But there are also plenty of guests rude to them. I've even seen them argue with them about trying to get through the stroller line when security tells them no.

When we were using extra morning hours we made sure to arrive early with plenty of time to clear the bigger morning lines through security and gates.

There are lots of places I avoid now but Disney feels about as safe as we can get. I'd rather go to a concert or sporting event where there is screening, bag checks and clear bag rules than go to the mall.
I couldn't agree more with your observation. Disney (and Universal) provide a safe family space in a crazy world -- it is one of the reasons we choose to spend our leisure dollars there and became pass holders.

As someone who has done a lot of air travel for work I think Disney's screenings are pretty benign. It is after all a security screening. Totally support WDW and Universal efforts.

I TRY my best and so far have succeeded in keeping my patience and just excepting whatever happens at security.
I want WDW to always be my SAFE and Happy Place!!
Exactly. Some don't take into consideration it is a SECURITY check, not a meet and greet.

And these will be the first ones to file a lawsuit if anything ever happened to them in the park.

I’m pretty sure this happens. Makes sense. It’s an extra hurdle for bad actors that there’s always a chance to be individually searched even if no alarms flagged.

I have a theory. At the end of the long hot humid season CMs are especially exhausted, particularly those working outdoors the whole time. Months and months of grueling, not only for themselves but guests might generally be extra crabby too this time year. As the weather starts getting better they perk back up. I try to cut them extra slack Aug and Sept.

Go to Universal! Their security people are SO NICE and the lines move FAST. I got so tired of being yelled at by WDW security.

Go to Universal! Their security people are SO NICE and the lines move FAST. I got so tired of being yelled at by WDW security.
I’m an AP holder (out of state) who visits the disney parks at least 40 days a year. I’m sorry, but this general impression of the security people at Disney as surly and unpleasant just does not track at all with my experience with them. Well above 95 percent of them have been friendly, above friendly even, Disney friendly. As a whole I’ve found the same level of friendliness from them as I have from every other type of castmember. Sure tehre have been maybe a couple over the years who were not having a great day and weren’t super friendly, but those were very much the exceptions and not the rule.

I put in 4-6 weeks a year at Disney and have never been yelled at by security, and the only yelling I hear is at guests not following directions of which lines to get in to.

Universal??? Yes their system was better than Disney's before Disney converted but their TMs have never been helpful, friendly, nice or anything other than indifferent, which is fine. The most I ever got was the person on the other side of the metal detectors telling us to keep moving .. even though we were waiting for our property to come through the scanners.

At opening it is pure chaos with no one directing or assisting. Fortunately as off/on AP holders we know the process but to those who don't it is a mess. I say go planning on figuring your way through, prepared to empty quickly and move through detector to get your stuff quickly because no one cares about the safety of your items.

Honestly I have NEVER seen anyone pulled over for something in their bag scan so I really do wonder how safe we are there ...

I’m an AP holder (out of state) who visits the disney parks at least 40 days a year. I’m sorry, but this general impression of the security people at Disney as surly and unpleasant just does not track at all with my experience with them. Well above 95 percent of them have been friendly, above friendly even, Disney friendly. As a whole I’ve found the same level of friendliness from them as I have from every other type of castmember. Sure tehre have been maybe a couple over the years who were not having a great day and weren’t super friendly, but those were very much the exceptions and not the rule.
Same here, and I agree.

One trip the running joke was I was pulled every single day. But I didn't run here to say how awful security was ... because obviously something I was carrying was triggering the system. I would much rather they OVER secure us than let things float through.

I have several Loungefly mini backpacks and a Vera Bradley campus backpack, which is what I usually carry at DL. Their security is very different from WDW. All bags still hand checked.

Which do you suggest for WDW? Going in November and want to do what’s best to expedite security process.

or maybe I should just buy a clear backpack??? Normally I’m one of those people who carries anything they might possibly need/want for the day. I’m gonna try to narrow it down on this trip 😂

I appreciate all your suggestions!

Loungefly backpacks will not set off the sensors. My DD has a few and they never set off the sensors.

Even if you have a clear backpack, if it sets off the sensors it will be checked.
My mom went to Disney Springs last week and she got pulled off to the side to be checked. The security guard told her that it was the material of the zipper on the Loungefly bag that got detected by the sensors. I've had it happen too but only for one specific Loungefly bag. Never had any issues with other Loungefly bags or non Loungefly bags.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter