• Controversial Topics Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Security Lines in the Parks

My mom went to Disney Springs last week and she got pulled off to the side to be checked. The security guard told her that it was the material of the zipper on the Loungefly bag that got detected by the sensors. I've had it happen too but only for one specific Loungefly bag. Never had any issues with other Loungefly bags or non Loungefly bags.
It’s happened to me too.

My mom went to Disney Springs last week and she got pulled off to the side to be checked. The security guard told her that it was the material of the zipper on the Loungefly bag that got detected by the sensors. I've had it happen too but only for one specific Loungefly bag. Never had any issues with other Loungefly bags or non Loungefly bags.
My Dooneys and Loungeflys don't normally set the scanner off. But the Loungefly bag that I carried last time had a slightly larger than normal metal name plate and it tripped the scanner...every...single...time.

Go to Universal! Their security people are SO NICE and the lines move FAST. I got so tired of being yelled at by WDW security.
Being yelled at is not normal at Disney. Hopefully you wrote guest services. Not only is that bad customer relations it is dangerous. A security person yelling at a guest unnecessarily can escalate an already high tense situation leading to an increase in the odds of a physical confrontation. Disney doesn’t want their security CM’s yelling at you anymore than you do.

I have several Loungefly mini backpacks and a Vera Bradley campus backpack, which is what I usually carry at DL. Their security is very different from WDW. All bags still hand checked.

Which do you suggest for WDW? Going in November and want to do what’s best to expedite security process.

or maybe I should just buy a clear backpack??? Normally I’m one of those people who carries anything they might possibly need/want for the day. I’m gonna try to narrow it down on this trip 😂

I appreciate all your suggestions!
Don’t bother with a clear backpack. Not only will the FL sun wreck your stuff it’s pointless. You are initially scanned by a machine, not a person. The machine highlights any part of you that has metal over a threshold. The secondary screener gets that image and opens the bag/wands the area to physically inspect it and assure it is not a weapon.

What I do differently for WDW is be aware of the metal. Things I stopped carrying that set off the detector- a thin metal case for first aid (Welly, travel size), bug spray (I carry a little plastic pen like travel size one from Off now), travel wallet with a large metal clasp. Things I treat different- umbrella, hold it straight out in front of you perpendicular to the ground (if you don’t feel like a weirdo you aren’t doing it right, extend your arm all the way) it needs to be completely away from your body. If they see it clearly and the machine got a good scan they will let you on through.

I have many zippers on my backpack but they’re not particularly thick and have never set the scanners off.

You will be asked to walk through the scanner carrying any bags, backpacks, etc. The guard will search through the scooter basket and pockets while you do this. If you are unable to take a few steps, let them know.

I’m a minimalist so carry a water bottle, a million ponchos and not much else which makes mine an easy search. But I see both scooters and strollers absolutely crammed with all manner of things. Just remember they will go through absolutely everything!

To clarify, they will ask you first if you can walk a few steps or not.

I’m an AP holder (out of state) who visits the disney parks at least 40 days a year. I’m sorry, but this general impression of the security people at Disney as surly and unpleasant just does not track at all with my experience with them. Well above 95 percent of them have been friendly, above friendly even, Disney friendly. As a whole I’ve found the same level of friendliness from them as I have from every other type of castmember. Sure tehre have been maybe a couple over the years who were not having a great day and weren’t super friendly, but those were very much the exceptions and not the rule.
I am also an AP holder (20+ years) from out of state. My experience with WDW security seems to be extremes: really nice and polite, indifferent and slightly annoyed, or downright cross and belittling. I carry a string wallet. and I have been told:

Take it off
Don't take it off
Unzip and open it
WHY are you opening it?

Take the battery out of your pocket
Why did you take the battery out?

and my personal favorite

What IS it?

The same has applied to 2 different people I travel with regarding battery packs and/or string wallet.

Epcot tends to be very good natured with more issues at AK than the other parks.

10 day trip in June.... finally passed through all scanners without issue the last 3 days LOL
I was given different directions for umbrella - every. single. time. I learn to walk up slowly and try to make eye contact and get instruction. I carried a small waist pack and held that in one hand, umbrella in other, and my battery pack in the hand holding the wast bag strap. Tried to juggle my phone into one hand also.

Checked the weather carefully and avoided umbrella on days under 20% chance.

We had very little problem in early September. My glasses case did set it off the very first morning. Was instructed to hold it, umbrellas, or any battery packs out in front. Did that and we had no issues. The process is a huge improvement over the individual bag check.

10 day trip in June.... finally passed through all scanners without issue the last 3 days LOL
I was given different directions for umbrella - every. single. time. I learn to walk up slowly and try to make eye contact and get instruction. I carried a small waist pack and held that in one hand, umbrella in other, and my battery pack in the hand holding the wast bag strap. Tried to juggle my phone into one hand also.

Checked the weather carefully and avoided umbrella on days under 20% chance.
I feel your pain, and can relate. :goodvibes
You try to do it right, but sometimes you just can’t win. Lol.
Different people tell you different things.

I feel your pain, and can relate. :goodvibes
You try to do it right, but sometimes you just can’t win. Lol.
Different people tell you different things.
Would it even be Disney if you didn't get three different answers to the same question.

Honestly I think there are some THINGS on us that just trip the trigger and it just isn't worth getting upset about. Told my kids either I keep carrying something that triggers it (I wear lots of bracelets) or I'm just sketchy looking. 🥸

Would it even be Disney if you didn't get three different answers to the same question.

Honestly I think there are some THINGS on us that just trip the trigger and it just isn't worth getting upset about. Told my kids either I keep carrying something that triggers it (I wear lots of bracelets) or I'm just sketchy looking. 🥸
Well, my family did mention, it could have been my facial expressions that triggered each search. :bitelip:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter