Security Lines

Also, a no bag line... are small clutch purses considered a bag?

Thanks everybody for the kind responses - I’m going to say that when I go to hockey games here the clutch I take (wallet on a strap basically) is allowed in the non bag line. I am going to read past what came across as a rude tone in that one response and hope that was just meant to be helpful! At any rate, got it, no purse - which means no non bag line for us as my epi pen is in my wallet/clutch.
I'm sorry you felt it came across as rude. It is simple, the reason Disneyland has not had "No Bag Lines" in the past is because when they have tried it, the push back has been "But this isn't a bag, it is a <insert clutch/wristlet/fannypack/stroller/any number of other bags>" We have just gotten to where they are allowing it now, so we don't want it to get screwed up.

It is nice that the hockey arena has allowed you to bring a wristlet thru the no bags line. At the ballparks we go to, it would be a bag.

I have frequently seen dogs at the Harbor side entrance.

When we were there in January, I seen dogs most mornings and one morning I watched the dog catch a sniff of something on a man walking into the park up to security. Of course I had to watch to see what happened, they quietly took him out of the line and talked to him for a few minutes, the other security guards had come over. I was impressed how quickly they acted and how quiet they were about it. Not a big scene at all.

I was impressed how quickly they acted and how quiet they were about it. Not a big scene at all.

I have watched Disney Security take care of several situations over the years. They were always very quiet and discreet about it. Most people nearby never knew anything had just happened. Says a lot about the training and the people in their security department. ::yes::

I have watched Disney Security take care of several situations over the years. They were always very quiet and discreet about it. Most people nearby never knew anything had just happened. Says a lot about the training and the people in their security department. ::yes::
This is why my husband will let me travel to DLR for solo trips.
He knows once on-site security is Top Notch!!

Thank you! Disney Security

Happy to report that we are still here and we haven’t had any slow line issues like Tuesday’s chaos.

I do think X-ray would be a lot better instead of individual bag searches. Many times Security doesn’t even search most of my backpack, I could easily hide something if I wanted to, which means someone else could in theirs!

Still very impressed by universal’s procedure versus disney’s.

Honestly, Airport style xRay machines would eliminate the problem completely, then while you walk through the metal detector, everything goes through the xRay machine and you get through in seconds per guest instead of minutes per guest.

Here's the thing - X-ray machines cost $$, in purchase and maintenance. You still need humans to run them too. That same human currently just does a visual/physical check without needing to add equipment. Disney is not about to put out that money when it will just help reduce security lines. I am doubtful there are many people who are going to stop going to Disney just because of an annoying security line, and even if there were guests quitting Disney, there will always be new guests to replace them. I think X-ray machines are not the answer; instead they just need to have more checkers. On many occasions I've used the Harbor Blvd entrance on a weekday evening, with a super backed up security line, and only one tent open.

My husband wears cargo shorts and loads everything in his pockets. Will that be a problem?

If DH wants to load his pockets for DLR, he puts everything he wants in a bag until he goes through security. Then after the metal detector, he goes to the table (there is always a table just past the detectors) or a nearby bench and loads his pockets with everything from the bag. Much quicker than unzipping/unbuttoning all pockets and putting everything back. And this way he knows he won't forget/lose anything at the detectors. We have small, foldable totes for this, but a plastic bag would work, too.

My husband wears cargo shorts and loads everything in his pockets. Will that be a problem?

We had to unload our pockets into a little plastic tray while we went through the detector. If he was very loaded up it might be annoying but just empty them out and hold once you get in line. It does, delightfully, move quickly.

We had to unload our pockets into a little plastic tray while we went through the detector. If he was very loaded up it might be annoying but just empty them out and hold once you get in line. It does, delightfully, move quickly.
Well, actually, I have to admit that he does carry a few things like sunscreen and a charger so I dont have to :)

There were dogs last week, just before the security area at the main gate. We were there from Saturday to Saturday, and it was a really busy week. Very long security lines.

We had a character breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen one morning and thought we had left early enough to get through the long lines in time - but they were ridiculously long that morning. The security guard directing people to the lines told me there was no separate line for people with breakfast reservations (I'd heard there were) and if we were late because the security lines were so long, it was too bad. Of course, we'd be charged the no-show fee and we left the hotel (BWPPI) in what should have been lots of extra time. We barely made it.

There were dogs last week, just before the security area at the main gate. We were there from Saturday to Saturday, and it was a really busy week. Very long security lines.

We had a character breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen one morning and thought we had left early enough to get through the long lines in time - but they were ridiculously long that morning. The security guard directing people to the lines told me there was no separate line for people with breakfast reservations (I'd heard there were) and if we were late because the security lines were so long, it was too bad. Of course, we'd be charged the no-show fee and we left the hotel (BWPPI) in what should have been lots of extra time. We barely made it.
No separate bag line for reservations, only entering Disneyland for Plaza Inn. Sometimes it is easier to taxi over.

For future reference (or other readers), there’s no need to stress about the no-show fee. They’re pretty generous with the time allowances for reservations. You can also always call the restaurant and explain that you’re stuck at security and on your way.

Clothing is not checked at the bag check tables, but metal must be removed before passing through the metal detectors. Your husband needs know which items need to be removed.

I wear a travel vest (with many pockets) and only need to remove phone and glasses case, other items stay zipped in vest (wallet, water bottle, pen, tissues...)

I have reservations at Candy Cane in June (going for multiple days with my niece who is visiting). I normally drive down for the day & park at Mickey & Friends. I have not experienced any long wait times at security at M&F since they've moved it inside. (I arrive in time to make rope drop). Would I be better to try to drive each day & park at M&F in lieu of waiting on the Harbor side? Or would the time I would need to leave to park be about the same time to walk to Harbor side entrance? (The comments about long wait times at Harbor have me concerned!)

I would have said it seemed pretty consistent (at least on the Harbor side), but I did notice that they didn't have it on Wednesday (mid-morning) or Tuesday (mid-afternoon). I think they tend to have it when they anticipate large crowds (just before opening), but they can sometimes mis-gauge the number of guests coming into security (e.g., just before the FFA students began arrived). When it's been there, it's been in the middle and there is a CM with a loudspeaker letting guest know that there is a no bag line and that it means no bags. There are also usually CMs near the end of the line to send guests to the regular security lines if they do not qualify for the no bag line. Everyone that goes through the no bag line goes through the metal detectors.

Yes, I agree that it can be frustrating when one line is moving much slower than the surrounding lines. I had a random idea (while waiting in one of the very slow lines this week)...they should have the screening CMs move over one station every 5 guests (or so). That way, it should all average out, right?

Unless you are part of my family:sad2: They do this at Disney World. Seems like we get a slow guy, and then they switch. Then that guy picks from the side that just got serviced (most tables at WDW have 2 sides with 1 security person). Then they switch again and we get another slow guy and/or they start from the wrong side again. I have seen them switch guys 2 or 3 times at WDW in less than about 5 minutes. I have just warned people to not get behind us, because that will definitely be the slow line:sad:

I have reservations at Candy Cane in June (going for multiple days with my niece who is visiting). I normally drive down for the day & park at Mickey & Friends. I have not experienced any long wait times at security at M&F since they've moved it inside. (I arrive in time to make rope drop). Would I be better to try to drive each day & park at M&F in lieu of waiting on the Harbor side? Or would the time I would need to leave to park be about the same time to walk to Harbor side entrance? (The comments about long wait times at Harbor have me concerned!)

I would walk or take the CCI shuttle and just use the Harbor security lines. Driving around that area can take just as long it seems. We were there for 5 days and only faced one crazy long wait in the line for security. With that being said, when we had reservations we did make sure to leave about an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes before just in case. Luckily we were early each time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter