Seeking vista point in LA (preferably Hollywood)

NorthernCalMom

Compulsive Touring Planner
Hi guys; we’re planning a trip for late July with my family from Germany. We’re going to be at Universal Studios Hollywood in a Monday and are thinking about leaving there in the late afternoon/early evening to catch a little bit of LA, mostly to drive around Hollywood, see the famous sign, check out some of the walk of fame stars (no preference as to any particular star, our visitors want to simply catch a little glimpse of the area), things like that. My niece also really, really wants us to find a vista point for seeing the downtown skyline in the evening or at night.

I was researching rooftop restaurants to combine skyline watching with dinner, but most of the rooftop restaurants seem to be on the pricey side and not really catering to kids/teenagers (there’s six of us and half of them are under 21).

Any idea where we could maybe watch the sunset without breaking the bank, either combined with (not too expensive) dinner or, if that’s simply not realistic, any other place where would drive to, pull off the road and enjoy the view or maybe sunset?

Also, in case that we don’t combine our food with the view, would anybody here have recommendations as to any restaurants in that area with inexpensive but decent food (we’re flexible as to what kind) which could be fun for the teenagers in our crowd (even better if there’s parking close by, absolutely perfect if they validate parking).

Thank in advance for any tips and ideas you may have for us.
❤️

I can't speak to the restaurant part of it, but Griffith Observatory has a wonderful 270-degree view of Los Angeles and the ocean in the distance. Great view of the Hollywood sign too, You only need to pay for parking and the observatory is free.

Maybe pick up takeout for a picnic and eat it as the sun sets up there?

PHXscuba

Oooh, that sounds great. Do you know if they close access at some point in the evening, or if that spot is open to the public all night (not that we’re planning to stay too late… we’ll be rope dropping DLand the next morning; I just don’t want to accidentally get stuck behind a locked gate…).
🙂

Last edited:
Sadly- I don't think Griffith Observatory is open on Mondays. I think it is still only open Friday -Sunday. Friday hours are noon to 10:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday are 10:00 a.m to 10:00 p.m. BUT- I think that you can still drive up to it and walk the grounds anytime though- just can't go in the building. It does have a really great view- both of LA and of the Hollywood sign. If you google best places to watch the sunset in Los Angeles, I think it will come up on most lists. It would definitely be my choice for what you are looking for.

Last edited:

I believe Griffith Park is open until 10-30pm
https://www.laparks.org/griffithpark/
It’s a great place for sweeping views across LA near Hollywood. Another decent spot is the Mulholland Scenic Overlook on Mulholland Drive. The views are excellent and it’s a good place to see the city lights as well. Plus the drive along Mulholland affords many great views of the city. It would be about 15-20 mins from Universal depending on traffic.

I think you've gotten good advice here!

I don't think you'll find many/any restaurants in Hollywood that validates your parking...and valet will likely be at least $10 if not closer to $20. Traffic is annoying at best and street parking the same.

If you just want to quickly get a taste of some of the sights, I always suggest people park at the Hollywood & Highland garage. With a purchase at one of the retailers there you CAN get 2-4 hours of parking for $3. There is also a public lot just south of Hollywood on Highland (north of Hollywood High School and behind El Capitan) that I believe is still $10 for the day. Then you're centrally located to the Walk of Fame and the Chinese Theater!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter