Select photopass locations to be replaced by automated cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the one upside to this is it will save me some brain function.

Each time we line up for a M&G with a Photopass person on the scene I observe how attentive they are to what's going on and if they are taking good photos or just chatting to other cast members and randomly taking photos at 15 second intervals. That way I know if I need to bother digging our camera out of the backpack or if I can just let them do what I'm already paying for. Now, with the advent of this photog-in-a-box I'll know ahead of time... I might as well go ahead and get that dang camera out of the backpack and not even waste my breath asking my wife if I can skip taking photos at the M&G.

The only way replacing a human with a machine for this makes any sense... is if it's a new audio-animatronic getting your attention and taking the pictures. That green box isn't an A-1000, is it??

Last edited:

What's the point in emailing or calling? Disney doesn't care what we think. A couple dozen folks on a message board versus the millions of people who won't even notice it's a box instead of a person.

eh, sometimes they do. Things have been reversed in the past ... also after one change I reached out knowing how it was going to impact a family I am friends with and they called me and wound up helping that family out (took moving them to a different/better resort)

So they do listen - sometimes at least

I have already emailed Disney about this and waiting for a specific response - the automated email response said I would get one within 7 days. Not sure it will do any good- but it can't hurt. I also just forwarded the email to Mr. Kalogridis.

This is a horrible idea. My children are now 19 and 17 and still- some of the best photos are not the posed ones at the end with the characters- but the ones the photographers got when they were hugging or playing around with the characters- my kids love interacting with them and it is so much fun- and again- those are the best shots. From the time they were little to now- the best shots are the candid ones.

I hope they reconsider this new plan.

Last edited:
It appears this will begin 11/26 and be at 9 indoor photo locations. There will still be over 100 regular photopass photographers out and about. The automated systems will take photos throughout the entire experience. Universal also does this already at some of their photo locations.

It appears this will begin 11/26 and be at 9 indoor photo locations. There will still be over 100 regular photopass photographers out and about. The automated systems will take photos throughout the entire experience. Universal also does this already at some of their photo locations.

Still disappointed but we shall see how it plays out. I honestly think this could be a cool concept in some setting - like spots against all those instagram walls or with certain backgrounds (spots with Expiditon Everest in the background for example) where you are going for that one group shot with the backgroud, etc.

Character meets just feel the the last spot this should be :confused3

Still disappointed but we shall see how it plays out. I honestly think this could be a cool concept in some setting - like spots against all those instagram walls or with certain backgrounds (spots with Expiditon Everest in the background for example) where you are going for that one group shot with the backgroud, etc.

Character meets just feel the the last spot this should be :confused3
I agree. Put this at a standard backdrop or something. Character meets are a bit different.

From what I understood though, the Universal locations with automated photos are not character locations/meet and greets. I could totally see Disney adding some random unmanned photobooths where you could get a quick group photo. But M&G are different - there are so many small interactions that happen, and when a photog captures them it's pure magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter