Selecting Airline Seats

Snickals

Australian Princess...in Training
Hello all :wave2:
This may seem like a silly question....but is there any way to select which seats you sit in before you actually get to the airport and get your ticket?

The first time I went over I flew United and my travel agent showed me a screen and I picked where I wanted to sit. The last two times we've flown VAustralia and weren't able to select seats only request the bulkhead for the bassinet on the internationals (which we got all but the last time but that was on a Delta plane I think and there was drama with the seats with a few of the baby families).

This time we have booked through Qantas and are flying them international both way and Virgin to Orlando and American Airlines out of Orlando (all bought on the one ticket through Qantas). Baby Girl has her own seat this time so no bassinet required but would love to be able to choose where we sit beforehand...if it's possible please tell me how!!! :coffee:

It can definitely be done. It will cost you though.... $25 per seat. I am tossing up whether or not to fork out the $100 to do it for my family. I'm leaning towards not though as it will end up an extra $200 for both ways and in my mind economy is economy. You can also select seats 24 hours prior for free, although the selection will obviously be somewhat limited.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/your-booking/global/en

I would log in and request a little ones meal for baby girl though.

Ohh thank you!

I was able to request seats for all but 1 of our domestic flights...but don't fancy paying $25 per seat for each of us, will try and remember to log in 24hrs before we go...that's a great tip!

I booked the tickets through a travel agent (my usual one has left and the one I got this time did not impress me with her lack of knowledge on how to book plane tickets) and asked for Baby Girl to have a child's meal, I emailed her and got no response so emailed again and while waiting to hear from her I see there was no request next to her name :sad2: So thank you for reminding me to check! Not like it was hard to request...I just did it myself then! Want some thing done right, do it yourself I guess lol :p

Another question...is there anyway in knowing where they have seated us? The domestics I have requested like I said...but if they have put us somewhere good on the internationals I don't want to go changing that!

It can definitely be done. It will cost you though.... $25 per seat. I am tossing up whether or not to fork out the $100 to do it for my family. I'm leaning towards not though as it will end up an extra $200 for both ways and in my mind economy is economy. You can also select seats 24 hours prior for free, although the selection will obviously be somewhat limited.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/your-booking/global/en

I would log in and request a little ones meal for baby girl though.
I would be paying the money if I was you last year we had paid but when we changed our flight I didn't want to pay again we got stuck in the middle had no choice to change and I logged in the second the booking was open. never again it was horrible ::yes::

Hello all :wave2:
This may seem like a silly question....but is there any way to select which seats you sit in before you actually get to the airport and get your ticket?

The first time I went over I flew United and my travel agent showed me a screen and I picked where I wanted to sit. The last two times we've flown VAustralia and weren't able to select seats only request the bulkhead for the bassinet on the internationals (which we got all but the last time but that was on a Delta plane I think and there was drama with the seats with a few of the baby families).

This time we have booked through Qantas and are flying them international both way and Virgin to Orlando and American Airlines out of Orlando (all bought on the one ticket through Qantas). Baby Girl has her own seat this time so no bassinet required but would love to be able to choose where we sit beforehand...if it's possible please tell me how!!! :coffee:

The TA should be able to book your seats for both Qantas and the domestic flights we have just finalized ours with VA mind you I paid to upgrade to economy comfort with Delta not overly impressed by the cost but it's done now!
Last year when we booked AA our seat numbers were on our confirmation maybe they have changed that process but the TA should be able to do it or you could call them they seem to put people where ever they like Delta had our 12 year old sitting on his own behind us so I changed that online myself.

:teacher:
1.select seats on your given airline web site, the extra $$$ will ensure you are seated together. airlines will seat you all in middle seats down the back regardless of if your 22 or 2 yrs old.
2.sign all of your party up for the Frequent flyer program..those points are like money, and no one says no to some free cash do they!
3.check in online at 24 hrs out
4.never ever ever use flight center, they are morons (sorry to anyone who works for them but past behavior predicts future behavior).
5.check www.seatguru.com for the best seat choices...we are talking of 14hrs of bum in seat, so location does matter.

:teacher:
1.select seats on your given airline web site, the extra $$$ will ensure you are seated together. airlines will seat you all in middle seats down the back regardless of if your 22 or 2 yrs old.
Have selected seats for internal legs but still umming over forking out the $$$ to Qantas...

2.sign all of your party up for the Frequent flyer program..those points are like money, and no one says no to some free cash do they!
Done! QFF, Velocity, United Milegeplus... Gotta do the Steve and spawn on Southwest. :thumbsup2

3.check in online at 24 hrs out
Will do

4.never ever ever use flight center, they are morons (sorry to anyone who works for them but past behavior predicts future behavior).\
I find my own flights and prices then make them book.

5.check www.seatguru.com for the best seat choices...we are talking of 14hrs of bum in seat, so location does matter.
Going to check out now..

MumfromOz did you get QFF foryour kids via the Woolworths everyday rewards? Or did you pay for them?

Another question...is there anyway in knowing where they have seated us? The domestics I have requested like I said...but if they have put us somewhere good on the internationals I don't want to go changing that!

If you're flying Qantas unless you've requested seats they won't be allocated at this point - i.e. they haven't seated you anywhere! If you have no status with their frequent flyer program you won't have been seated somewhere good, as the way the nominal seating works is the less status you have, the further back you are.

You don't need to worry about changing it - and despite what someone else suggested, Qantas will seat you together if you're on the same booking (though it's liable to be at the back of the plane). You can either pay to try to select something forward of where you will end up otherwise, or you can log in the second online check in opens (i.e. exactly 24 hours out from your flight time - and if you leave it even five minutes any better seats you might have nabbed will be gone, so do make sure it's exactly 24 hours!) and select your seats free of charge then.

It's also worth checking again at the airport by asking nicely whether there are any better seats available when you check in.

MumfromOz did you get QFF foryour kids via the Woolworths everyday rewards? Or did you pay for them?

I got it through everyday rewards. I can't believe they try and charge you $80 odd dollars! Lucky for me the minimum age for Everyday rewards is 5, so the princess scrapes in by 6 months :)

I got it through everyday rewards. I can't believe they try and charge you $80 odd dollars! Lucky for me the minimum age for Everyday rewards is 5, so the princess scrapes in by 6 months :)

For anyone who has a little one not old enough for Everyday rewards, here's a link for free Qantas FF membership: https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/do/dyns/joinffp?code=REDEMAIL&rmid=18JUN13_FF_FOC_Join

Edited to add: if you can do it through Everyday rewards I still would - points expire if there's no activity in the account for 18 months - so occasionally waving the kids' cards at the supermarket will stop their points from expiring.

Qantas may not necessarily sit you together, we have been seperated from our children previously regardless of being on the same booking. For an international flight I would pay the seat allocation fee. It is not worth it. The Us airlines can be even worse.

I currently have seats booked for our trip next year booked with qantas,(QF flight number but different airline) and have been allocated 1A and 1D and there is nothing I can do, to get the seats allocated together, DH window, me opposite aisle, seems so simple to fix, but can't be done
If you have your flight reference number you can check your booking online with qantas through the manage my booking section

In regards to flight centre.....stay away. They have been known to stuff majorly even with everything written down in front of them.

Qantas may not necessarily sit you together, we have been seperated from our children previously regardless of being on the same booking. For an international flight I would pay the seat allocation fee. It is not worth it. The Us airlines can be even worse.

I currently have seats booked for our trip next year booked with qantas,(QF flight number but different airline) and have been allocated 1A and 1D and there is nothing I can do, to get the seats allocated together, DH window, me opposite aisle, seems so simple to fix, but can't be done
If you have your flight reference number you can check your booking online with qantas through the manage my booking section

In regards to flight centre.....stay away. They have been known to stuff majorly even with everything written down in front of them.

If you're on a QF flight number but a different airline, the whole thing is different. Qantas can't control what the other airline does in their seating allocation system.

But Qantas official policy is to seat families together: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/travelling-with-children-infants/global/en#jump6

And reports of this not happening are very rare (and when it does happen you will generally find someone is very willing to swap with you rather than sit next to your kid!) I've never been separated from anyone on the same booking as me, and for the last three years I've been flying more than once a week.

I agree with staying away from flight centre (but I'm really not sure why anyone is still using a travel agent now we have the internet!)

I think Qantas charging is rude. I'm flying them for the first time since their grounding because I didn't think they deserved business. Pfft!

If you're on a QF flight number but a different airline, the whole thing is different. Qantas can't control what the other airline does in their seating allocation system.

But Qantas official policy is to seat families together: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/travelling-with-children-infants/global/en#jump6

And reports of this not happening are very rare (and when it does happen you will generally find someone is very willing to swap with you rather than sit next to your kid!) I've never been separated from anyone on the same booking as me, and for the last three years I've been flying more than once a week.

I agree with staying away from flight centre (but I'm really not sure why anyone is still using a travel agent now we have the internet!)

Agree qantas can't help with another airline (even though it was bought through them) i just gave that example more from US airlines silly seat allocation, however we have had issues where we have been separated on qantas flights more than once.
While i agree people are generally happy to move once onboard, and i have also given up my seat to other families that have been separated, on a long haul flight I would prefer not to have the stress
While it may be policy to seat families together, things do happen, seat allocation is not guaranteed and I would pay to have the assurance that I got the seats I wanted.
As Australian Karen said, seat guru is your friend, it shows you what seats are good or bad, particularly good for which ones to avoid.

I think Qantas charging is rude. I'm flying them for the first time since their grounding because I didn't think they deserved business. Pfft!

Lots of airlines charge fees for things like seat selection - the cost of flying has fallen in real terms almost 50% since the 1970s, so it's now vastly cheaper to fly, and airlines struggle to stay profitable (witness what happened to Ansett, among others).

Charging for add on services is one way airlines stay profitable and stay afloat - I'd rather have the option of paying extra if I want to (and it's not compulsary!) than pay twice as much for my ticket!

And although I was annoyed (and affected) by the Qantas grounding, my sympathies were with the Qantas pilots - it was the first time they had taken industrial action in 45 years and they took it over safety concerns with Qantas using overseas pilots without the same safety requirements as Australian pilots. One of the reasons I fly Qantas is because of their outstanding safety record and their ability to manage dangerous situations - like the engine that exploded on the A380. The difference between that and the A330 Air France flight 447 that crashed with no survivors because the pilots panicked when something went wrong - http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetal...-training-destroyed-jet/?wpmp_switcher=mobile

A little inconvenience compared with being safer in the sky - I'll take being safer.

Agree qantas can't help with another airline (even though it was bought through them) i just gave that example more from US airlines silly seat allocation, however we have had issues where we have been separated on qantas flights more than once.
While i agree people are generally happy to move once onboard, and i have also given up my seat to other families that have been separated, on a long haul flight I would prefer not to have the stress
While it may be policy to seat families together, things do happen, seat allocation is not guaranteed and I would pay to have the assurance that I got the seats I wanted.
As Australian Karen said, seat guru is your friend, it shows you what seats are good or bad, particularly good for which ones to avoid.

Seat allocation's not guaranteed even if you pay for it!

From the T&Cs when you do seat selection:

"16. Seat requests cannot be guaranteed as they may need to be changed for operational, safety or security reasons, even after boarding the aircraft."

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/advance-seat-selection/global/en

I guess whether it's worth it to you depends how much stress it's going to cause you - personally I wouldn't pay it (and luckily I'll never have to, given my status with Qantas), but if you're really going to get stressed out about it, then it might be worth it to you.

For anyone who has a little one not old enough for Everyday rewards, here's a link for free Qantas FF membership: https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/do/dyns/joinffp?code=REDEMAIL&rmid=18JUN13_FF_FOC_Join

Thank you!!! I tried signing Baby Girl up via Every Day Rewards but she was too young, but this worked! :)

Little side question - last year she flew twice with VAustralia as a 'lap child', I am a Velocity card holder, so would the points for her have gone on my card or should I sign her up (try and find the darn tickets lol) and be able to claim the points for her (does a lap child get points? I paid for her)

I don't think you get points for an infant seat. However for future flights, virgin have the option of pooling all points and status credits to one family, or you can just sign them up.

Thank you!!! I tried signing Baby Girl up via Every Day Rewards but she was too young, but this worked! :)

Little side question - last year she flew twice with VAustralia as a 'lap child', I am a Velocity card holder, so would the points for her have gone on my card or should I sign her up (try and find the darn tickets lol) and be able to claim the points for her (does a lap child get points? I paid for her)

Pretty sure you don't get points for a lap child. You do if you buy them a seat. I got points for my two. Also it would be too late to claim anyway. I think there is a time limit for claiming. I would sign her up for future virgin flights though. Once you sign her up you have to link her account with yours for family pooling of points, then do a transfer once she racks up some. It is not automatic. There is a minimum amount you need to transfer and you can only do it a few times per year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter