Self care before vacation?

amberpi

DIS Veteran
What do you try to do before vacation in terms of self care? Nails, hair, waxing, facials?

None of the above. I’m usually feeling pretty great if I can get the five of us packed up and out of the house in time to catch the flight. Seriously, there is so much to do before a trip—get the dogs squared away, cleaning, laundry, bill payment, call dd’s school absences in if necessary (usually I forget), and on and on. Self care usually begins with a coffee in the departure lounge. Once I get to my destination, I shave my legs!

Now that I only have one kid living at home I’m finding more time for self care. When all four kids were living at home I was lucky to get everyone packed and out the door. Now I usually try to time my hair and gel nail appts so they’re freshly done before a vacation. I don’t like pedicures but I usually get one before a vacation as well.

None of the above. I’m usually feeling pretty great if I can get the five of us packed up and out of the house in time to catch the flight. Seriously, there is so much to do before a trip—get the dogs squared away, cleaning, laundry, bill payment, call dd’s school absences in if necessary (usually I forget), and on and on. Self care usually begins with a coffee in the departure lounge. Once I get to my destination, I shave my legs!

This was me the first vacation with kids; second was only a bit better. I was plucking my eyebrows otw there that first time (and they were gross!). This time, we don't have the kids the day before and until we leave the day of so I'm optimistic. I even started packing already, even though I am not an early packer. DH has a nail appointment with me, so maybe I'll at least keep that one!

I deep clean the house. It's self care because when we return home, the house is wonderfully clean and it's one less thing I have to do, so it extends the vacation.

That sounds wonderful!

I leave 2-3 males at home when we go to Disney, and the worst I have ever seen my house is when we get home. :sad1:

To answer the question, I usually try to have my eyebrows in order and shave my legs. I am pretty low maintenance, so it’s usually just the basics.

I know someone who always gets her nails done before a trip with Disney themes, and it’s really neat.

I know someone who always gets her nails done before a trip with Disney themes, and it’s really neat.

I always think those subtle nail nods to Disney are so cute, but I'm too chicken to do it. Maybe I'll do something sparkly at least. I doubt DH will get sparkly though.

I get my hair highlighted, nails dipped (I do that anyway but want them fresh), toenails polished.

If the dog is coming along he gets groomed.

I deep clean because I love coming home to a clean house.

I am usually up packing the night before. I am terrible about this every single trip.

Always nails-themed to where we are going usually. Disney, star wars, beach or just fun design. Trying dipped nails for upcoming cruise.
hair color done week or two before leaving
Clean the house top to bottom, clean sheets on bed etc-this is a family project. Agree this is also a self care! So much less stress coming home to clean house, past couple trips the kids and hubs have done without me as I am usually the one working til last minute.
I now have pet sitter come to house vs trying to get animals to boarding or arranging with neighbors-much less stress for me.

If whole family is going, and for more than 4-5 days then I usually do laundry once or twice as well while gone. When we stay in our villa laundry is in unit so no big deal. If in hotel suite then it's an afternoon around pool with frosty adult beverage. Not sure if this counts as self care, but it is much less stressful for me to come home to less laundry to do!!

I always get my hair highlighted and cut a week before.

I usually get my nails done too at my favorite nail place, but this trip—we left last Tuesday for our wedding in Orlando and I decided to get my nails done at our highly rated resort spa Wednesday morning before my Wednesday night/Thursday Disney bachelorette. They absolutely butchered my nails—horrible breakage and gel that chipped within two days. They did send a tech up to fix them the morning of my wedding but they were still in rough shape. HUGE mistake on my part!!

I try to do the clean house thing too, and/or the housekeeper comes (even better!). The worst was coming home in August to a fridge of rotting food. DH changed some banking stuff and forgot to change the electric bill, so we had no power, a blazing hot house, and rotten food. It was great:crazy2:

I always get my hair highlighted and cut a week before.

I usually get my nails done too at my favorite nail place, but this trip—we left last Tuesday for our wedding in Orlando and I decided to get my nails done at our highly rated resort spa Wednesday morning before my Wednesday night/Thursday Disney bachelorette. They absolutely butchered my nails—horrible breakage and gel that chipped within two days. They did send a tech up to fix them the morning of my wedding but they were still in rough shape. HUGE mistake on my part!!

Sorry that happened. Sucks that a place with a good reputation let you down.

:o For some odd reason the term "self-care" makes me cringe. :crazy2: It's weirdly grandiose for what amounts to basic grooming.

My nails (all 20) are never not done (I do them myself). I shave every single day and keep my brows shaped by yanking any strays each morning. I do make sure my hair is freshly cut and coloured and I top up my cosmetics bag with new versions of anything that's running low so I don't have to worry about purchasing that kind of stuff while we're gone. DH takes the same inventory of his toiletries and gets a haircut. He's a semi-annual mani/pedi guy so he looks forward to a spa appointment when we holiday.

I can't say I call shaving self-care for vacation unless we're talking about a vacation in the off-season when I'm not shaving each and everyday. I'll also be shaving everyday on vacation depending what that vacation entails so that doesn't quite qualify as self-care prep for vacation to me. Plucking eyebrows is a near daily thing in my day to day life so yeah that also wouldn't qualify as self-care prep for vacation (I always bring the tweezers with me anyways).

That said I could see if you really only do waxing, facials, etc for vacation and vacation only that would seem more like prep for it.

Depending on the length of my hair and the last time I cut it I will get my hair cut (thinking about this before our Vegas trip next month) but other than that usually it's getting my ring inspected, diamonds/prongs tightened, cleaned and re-rhodium plating depending on when the last time I had the re-rhodium done.

Depends on the vacation. If it is a longer one, then nails and hair cut. Otherwise, I do my nails myself

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter