• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Self Checkout

Target store I went to recently has the same number of self-checkout lines as before. Many other local stores also have them and they are convenient when buying just a few items. At someplace like a grocery store, it really makes sense to use the regular checkout aisles if you have a large number of items. Self-checkout everywhere I have been doesn't have enough space to store all of your items if you have a lot of things to purchase. They have scales to sense if the items are placed there and if you move them away before finishing it causes an issue. With covid, I think self-checkout is actually a good thing when making just a few purchases since it means you have less people to interact with. It appears some people don't know how to use them and just use the regular aisle. I find it a faster way to checkout when only buying a few items.

I guess once covid is over, it is up to each person to decide how they prefer to checkout.

I am curious as to why you pointedly refuse to use them... do they take too long? you’re bad at using them? don’t like that they might result in cutting cashiers?

I personally LOVE self-check out. I’m usually MUCH faster than any cashier and I can bag my things exactly how I want them. Walmart is particularly good for this - I’ve had the “helper” at the self-checkout area bring me a second cart so that I can unload, scan, bag, and deposit into the empty cart. So much easier than trying to shove it all onto the “sold” area or keeping things separated in a single cart, if you have a lot.

I will say that the Shaws supermarket around here has the WORST self-checkout lines, and it is entirely because of the too-touchy “sold” area which will often miss that you’ve put something down into it so it keeps telling you to “place item in bagging area”, etc., and eventually will stop working and require an override. I only use those if I have just a couple of things.
To be honest I enjoy having a social interaction when I check out. I truly think it's an important aspect of the transaction for me. I also have terrible luck with the self checkout devices operating without the need for me to stand and wait for them to help me multiple times. Maybe if they let me clock in and take wages off of my total for doing the job I think is important I'd feel differently about the whole thing. I honestly never really gave a lot of thought as to why I dislike it so much. I just know I don't enjoy it at all and will seek out an open register with a human no matter how long the line.

Ours still only has 4. I love the self-checkouts. I'd be happy with more at least for Christmas shopping.

Our Target only has 4 self-checkout stands. They have about 10 regular registers, but only 2 or 3 seem to ever be staffed. Kroger doubled from 6 to 12 self- checkouts right before/at the start of Covid.

We have an Amazon Fresh grocery store nearby and that is the most amazing technology I've ever seen, self checkout wise. The cart scans the items automatically as you put them in the bags and when you are ready to leave, you just click through the screen and it charges your credit card on file in your Amazon account. Literally the coolest system ever.

There has been no increase in self checkout lanes near me. However, I truly wish more stores would offer Scan & Go, as Sam’s club does. Every single time I go into Sam’s I shake my head at the long checkout lines! Scan & Go is a game changer. I load up the app as soon as I walk in the store. Scan each item as it goes in the cart, and swipe to check out as I walk to the exit. So simple, and I rarely spend more than 15 minutes in the store, unless I’m truly looking to browse.

There has been no increase in self checkout lanes near me. However, I truly wish more stores would offer Scan & Go, as Sam’s club does. Every single time I go into Sam’s I shake my head at the long checkout lines! Scan & Go is a game changer. I load up the app as soon as I walk in the store. Scan each item as it goes in the cart, and swipe to check out as I walk to the exit. So simple, and I rarely spend more than 15 minutes in the store, unless I’m truly looking to browse.

I think most stores will go to the Amazon system of getting rid of checkout lines and the ceiling based sensors will track your purchases and charge accordingly.

I don't shop at Target.
For other stores that have self checkout:
I don't work for them.
I don't get a reduced price for playing cashier.
Finally, hire more help. There's people who want and need jobs.

Many stores in my area are desperate to hire people (not necessarily for cashier positions) and are having problems finding qualified candidates.

For smaller orders, I might actually be willing to pay MORE to play cashier. A buck or two to use self-checkouts? Not a problem.

Finally, hire more help. There's people who want and need jobs.
Can't hire people that don't want the jobs. I've got manufacturing jobs around me paying $25 an hour that can't hire anyone. If I was younger and healthier, without a family, I'd be seriously considering a career change into the UAW.

Target near me hasn't changed but the grocery store and Walmart have added self checkouts at both doors instead of just one like they did before.

I don't mind using them depending on what I'm buying. A few items I'll do the self checkout. A large grocery trip or anything that might be an issue, I'll go to a real person.

One good thing about Walmart’s self-checkouts is you don’t need to put your purchases in a weight sensitive bagging area. I scan heavier items like buckets of kitty litter or 12 packs of soda right in the cart.

Or really any item I don’t want bagged.

There’s a visible screen above the scanners that lets you know a camera is apparently watching your every move. The closest I’ll ever get to being on TV.

And, by the way, I have no problem showing my receipt to any checker at the door. They ask about half the time.

We enjoy Sam’s Club Scan and Go too. Much better than self-checkout. It hasn’t caught on much here. yet.

A few places near me that didn't used to have them have added them - CVS is the one I noticed most recently. The bigger issue, around me at least, is that a lot of the time there's only one staffed checkout open and the bagger is doing double-duty as the supervising cashier for the bank of self-checkouts. So everything is slow. If you use the self-checkout and have any issues or buy anything age-controlled or want to use coupons/bottle return slips, you have a long wait for the bagger/cashier to be free to okay the transaction. And if you use the staffed checkout line, you may or may not have the bagger disappear mid-transaction to deal with a self-checkout problem.

I don't mind self-checkout in principle. I'm not one of those people who feels the need to take a stand in defense of crappy part-time jobs. But I don't feel like the tech is quite at a level of reasonable user-friendliness yet. Between all the things that require a cashier override and the awful weight-sensitive bagging area that demands you cram your cat litter onto the little turntable and errors out if you dare buy a packet of taco seasoning, it is just more hassle than I care to deal with in my grocery shopping.

My company (a well known convenience store chain in my area) has studied but rejected the idea of installing self checkouts. Some other C-store chains have them and they seem to work well.

Lines can get pretty long at many times of the day. Most stores have 4 registers but rarely have more than 2 in use.

In 2019 our closest Walmart went to majority self checkout. It was always busy so customers really prefer this. In the line of "it costs jobs" that's always used but rarely actually known or proven unless it's by personal knowledge that they fired people instead of just shifting them around. Walmart for instance they have a ton of curbside pick up orders and are now adding the option for pick up at store but do it curbside (rather than use the towers or lockers). We can hardly shop ourselves without tripping over all the employees doing buy online curbside orders, there's a lot of employees around.

We did notice Costco brought back self checkout last year. We had it (though only 2 machines) back in 2012 when we joined but within a few years they removed them much to our displeasure though contrary to what someone else said towards the end that's when employees would scan at it but we just preferred to scan our own. These self-check out machines (6 total) they don't scan for you but they are still there to help. Unfortunately the local Costco we go to doesn't seem to follow self-checkout line norms of other places. I got stuck behind a woman having issues and watch 7 people go past me on the other side but people treated it like a line and it would have felt like I was jumping it rather than other self checkouts I've generally been to where the next person in line just takes the next available machine and it's just 1 big line for the self-checkout area. The reason it took so long is the person was completely out of their element with the particular machine.

Between all the things that require a cashier override and the awful weight-sensitive bagging area that demands you cram your cat litter onto the little turntable and errors out if you dare buy a packet of taco seasoning, it is just more hassle than I care to deal with in my grocery shopping.
It was honestly not very good when self-check out first started. We had a lot of "unexpected item in the bagging area" at Walmart but over time we just learned the machines and it's not normally an issue. Now they have the scan and go machines and ones with cameras on the machine themselves and they are less sensitive than ones in the past. I've def. put really light stuff down and it lights up green. But it didn't used to be that way. I believe they also have the scanning gun you can remove to scan items in your cart. We know Home Depot has that as well and I know others. Menards, as much as we like to shop there, they don't have self check out and it's kinda a pain to put all your items on the spot for the employee or leave your cart, then walk to the keypad at the end of the belt and you're bagging your own items (something that some people object to with self-checkout).

The problem is that many of these stores cannot get cashiers. No one wants to work these jobs. Look to see a lot more self-service and automation in the future. I have seen a robotic burger machine and the soda at McDonalds is already partially automated.

I’m fine with the self checkouts. My major beef is that when I’m buying alcohol, I have to wait for an employee to come by to then scan my DL. Why can’t I do that myself?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter