• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Selfie Stick bans

This is funny, I had no idea what selfie sticks were! Now I also am amazed people bring & use their tablets for pictures! I am clearly behind the times! I need to get more informed!

I have heard from someone who should know that Disney is seriously considering banning these things

And of course the use of the iPad can come at a price. I was watching fireworks in the Magic Kingdom and a woman near me got jostled by the crowd. CRASH. shattered screen destroyed iPad. Cameras are probably a good investment
Yeah, my camera cost WAY more than my iPad; that's why it has a strap. An iPad CASE would've been a good investment.

Let's hope they ban all other rude guest behavior at the same time!

I - personally and I speak for myself only I'm "petite" so my opinions are biased - find it OBNOXIOUS to hoist your Ipad up over the crowds to video/photo whatever you are doing with it, in my sight-line. If I can't hoist my DD on my shoulders for fireworks, you shouldn't be allowed to hoist your half laptop up over yours...

To the people that wear the HUGE style cameras and bags that contain the "extra lenses" that you just had to have and you stop in front of me to take your families photo, and then switch out your lenses in queue lines (and then get BALLISTIC at me for having the nerve to "keep the line moving"... I DIDN'T CUT YOU, YOU STOPPED! To the same people who walk around with your expensive cameras and large long lenses attached to your body on a lanyard...why don't you take a lesson in personal space and NOT shove your lens into my back because you are TOO close!

Again... you asked, I answered...
So, if I stop to tie my shoe, is it still okay for you to pass me in line? What if my child falls down--should folks just step on over?? If a person wants to pause 10 seconds in line, and you know the line STOPS up ahead before the boarding point, then yes, you cut. I find that as obnoxious as you (and I) find kids on shoulders at fireworks.

The ipad was in a case, but when it lands screen first on the concrete..... Those cases aren't tanks unless you got the ottor box route and then they way a ton to hold over your head for fireworks shots

So, if I stop to tie my shoe, is it still okay for you to pass me in line? What if my child falls down--should folks just step on over?? If a person wants to pause 10 seconds in line, and you know the line STOPS up ahead before the boarding point, then yes, you cut. I find that as obnoxious as you (and I) find kids on shoulders at fireworks.

I always tell people to pass me if stop for ANY reason, shoe, kids etc... Not sure why you would think the world should wait on you to get it together, I don't think they should wait on me too...

Haven't had a trip with the sticks being a problem and I'm five foot nothing. But wouldn't these stick things be above me so why would I care? Other people with other reasons stop right in front of me all the time at Disney World. Ever be walking around World Showcase and have a family get upset because one person was on one side of the walkway and the rest of the family was on the other side and you walked through their photo op? Happens a lot and all over Disney World.

If I was seated to see a show and someone blocked my view with something, I would just tap them on the shoulder and ask to trade places.

Selfie sticks shouldn't be a war at Disney World. Nothing should.

We had a specific incident happen where dad stopped family in LM queue to take their pic. I'm not without understanding, I stop let the picture taking commence figuring ok one shot let's move on...

Dad proceeds to pull each kid (3) for their individual pic, then rearrange the family for more, changing out his lenses each time for whatever the different lenses do!

Ok let's go by and let him photograph, NOPE, you would have thought I was trying to abduct his firstborn!!! This isn't meeting Ariel, this is the QUEUE for LM! Taking photos of the fake scenery behind them!

Come on! I'm not talking trampling people to get ahead, I'm saying if your stopping in line to "hangout" I'm going to continue.

We had a specific incident happen where dad stopped family in LM queue to take their pic. I'm not without understanding, I stop let the picture taking commence figuring ok one shot let's move on...

Dad proceeds to pull each kid (3) for their individual pic, then rearrange the family for more, changing out his lenses each time for whatever the different lenses do!

Ok let's go by and let him photograph, NOPE, you would have thought I was trying to abduct his firstborn!!! This isn't meeting Ariel, this is the QUEUE for LM! Taking photos of the fake scenery behind them!

Come on! I'm not talking trampling people to get ahead, I'm saying if your stopping in line to "hangout" I'm going to continue.

That particular incident is an example of someone being rude; don't stop and take a bunch of photos if you don't want people to pass you in line. I get why that got you annoyed.

That's got nothing to do with DSLRs, though. That same guy would've been just as obnoxious with a point & shoot camera. It's an isolated incident; not enough to paint DSLRs and the people who carry them as "obnoxious". That's an awfully big brush you're using.

I'll let "whatever the different lenses do" slide, as clearly you're not very familiar with photography. I will say that lenses are the most important part of the camera, and there are reasons A.) People own more than one and B.) they cost anywhere from hundreds to thousands per lens. Changing lenses to get the shot you want is not unreasonable (though attempting to hold up a line for more than a few seconds to do so is).

You probably would've hated me on my trip last month. Not only did I have my DSLR with a big backpack case (only two lenses, though), but I even brought a tripod to shoot fireworks pics.

That's got nothing to do with DSLRs, though.

I'll let "whatever the different lenses do" slide, as clearly you're not very familiar with photography.

You probably would've hated me on my trip last month. Not only did I have my DSLR with a big backpack case (only two lenses, though), but I even brought a tripod to shoot fireworks pics.

Ok this has become a completely unnecessary debate. My issues with people using DSLRs are not isolated to Disney... And no I don't know enough about photography to honestly care what lens does what... But I don't own that type of camera and that's fine with me... I don't need that kind...

And if you were wearing your camera with it's lens attachment and pushed into me with it or we're not paying attention and whacking people with your tripod I would have "hated" you... But clearly you know what to do with your equipment and how to carry it, etc.

It's the people who own these things because "they are new technology" NOT because they actually know how to use them and are rude and inconsiderate to those around you that my comments are directed towards... (What I initially thought this whole thread was directed towards)....

I'm not "picking" on everyone with a DSLR or and IPad or a Selfie stick... I'm picking on those people who own them and are "obnoxious and inconsiderate" to the rest of us.

I'm at WDW now and these things are everywhere but it's not a big deal. Only time I got annoyed was on ToT yesterday when the guy next to me dropped his and it got me on the head as we dropped. Not really his fault though! He did ask a CM if he was allowed it on the ride and they said it wasn't a problem. People using flash in dark rides bugs me much more.

I'm at WDW now and these things are everywhere but it's not a big deal. Only time I got annoyed was on ToT yesterday when the guy next to me dropped his and it got me on the head as we dropped. Not really his fault though! He did ask a CM if he was allowed it on the ride and they said it wasn't a problem. People using flash in dark rides bugs me much more.

This is precisely the reason why I'm surprised that the CM said it was okay. I mean, the CM is just doing his/her job and if it's not prohibited then, by definition, it is allowed. But, really, that just seems like a no brainer that they shouldn't allow selfie sticks on TOT. Gravity alone would tell you that's not a good idea.

Last edited:
The iPad (or other tablet) method of photography (and particularly videography) drives me bonkers. I'm 5'1" and I can never see around these jacknut's screens.

I once sat behind someone who filmed ALL of Fantasmic. WHY?!? Seriously...who is watching these videos of shows and fireworks when they get home from Disney?

Pictures I get--the remind you of the people you were with, but the filming of entire shows with large contraptions it my pet peeve.

That said, I would be po'ed if someone whipped out a selfie stick during a show or ride, but posing for pics wouldn't bother me.

Getting whacked with an iPad or child is worse. :P
I don't see the point of selfie sticks other than to have the ability to raise the camera above your head. I've happily walked around DW with my DSLR camera out just videoing the ambience - I can't see the point of doing the same thing with the camera pointing at me enjoying the ambience. It seems too narcisstic.

Narcissistic is the new humble.

Yeah, my camera cost WAY more than my iPad; that's why it has a strap. An iPad CASE would've been a good investment.

Let's hope they ban all other rude guest behavior at the same time!

Your camera most likely has a better camera too. iPad camera are low quality. I assume people think the iPad camera will take a better picture because the screen is bigger?

Your camera most likely has a better camera too. iPad camera are low quality. I assume people think the iPad camera will take a better picture because the screen is bigger?
LOL I'm afraid they might! Nah, I really think people do it because they don't know how to get pics taken with a camera ONTO their iPad for upload to social media, processing, etc.

I just got back from Disneyland a few days ago, and I LOVED how they handle the crowd for Fantasmic! there.

I got a fastpass in the morning for one of the viewing areas. Since we were one of the first groups into that specific area (Yellow, if anyone has been there since they instituted the system), we were told to sit on the ground, as were about the first 6-8 rows of people. They politely told everyone that if they were not able to sit on the ground, they should move to the back of the area, where they could stand. They also told us to use no flash, and to not hold any camera, phone, or tablet up during the show. It was an incredible show, I still got some quick iphone pics, and everyone around us had a great view and a fun and friendly experience!

Not sure how policies like that could be instituted around WDW, but it sure would be nice!

I was concerned they would be an issue, but in our 10 days, we only saw 3 or 4 and not really an issue. Actually, the one on the TTA was the only issue...guy held one up in front of us the entire ride...not that bad.

I'd rather see them ban light emitting devices and cameras with lighted displays during nightime shows / parades / fireworks first. While you are at it make everyone turn off those annoying flashy hats during the shows / fireworks too. That's just RUDE.

As to the sticks, I haven't noticed an issue with them. I don't own one, nor would I buy one, but on the list of annoying things, they are way down it.

Speaking of which, as long as someone in front of me has a ipad hoisted up during a show/fireworks, don't say anything to me about putting my daughter on my shoulders until you talk to them first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter