• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Selfie Sticks..Observation

cdnSpinalTap

Mouseketeer
This is not a comment on whether selfie sticks should be allowed or not, but just an observation from our recent trip...

We noticed a couple of times on this trip people with obvious selfie sticks (not gimbal's for vlogging), doing the typical self-videoing (or pictures or whatever it is they do with these things). This included swinging around in circles, etc. - again, very obvious that it was a selfie stick.

I asked security as they were doing a bag check if selfie sticks were now allowed. His comment was that security can no longer confiscate them as they are not a security issue but instead are an operational issue. He said they would refer it to operations, but that nothing may be done about it.

Saw them in larger numbers in June and July. They are absolutely security issues if a guest decides to use on a ride, risking harm to others. I think his story was just that, a story. They just don't want to take the extra step to make them hand it over or return to their car.

Last edited:

I definitely saw one a little over a week ago when I was in DHS.

In April, my backpack got flagged during security. The holder I have for my GoPro has a thick handle because it is a floatation device for the camera; it is useful when I'm swimming or snorkeling & taking videos. The security guy asked me if it telescoped or if it was a selfie stick, and I told him no. They're at least checking for selfie sticks if your bag gets flagged.

If selfie sticks are still against the rules, maybe they should step up enforcement if people are using them in the parks.

I noticed it last week while there but the woman using it was very respectful of other people: kept it mainly closed up and only used it when trying to get a family selfie in front of large landmarks, otherwise she just took pictures with her phone herself of her kids.

Which is a VAST improvement over the last time when I saw one cause it hit me on the head as the guy was turning and he actually got mad at me for 'ruining his shot'...jerk.

Noticed this too! Lots of the long selfie sticks! Also noticed a lot of those big wagons that are strollers I guess? But look like wagons and are huge! Almost got run over by a few lol

Noticed this too! Lots of the long selfie sticks! Also noticed a lot of those big wagons that are strollers I guess? But look like wagons and are huge! Almost got run over by a few lol
Wagons for medical needs are allowed. Just returned from 8 solid park days and only saw 2 but both had medical tags on them. Wagons other than for those purposes are still not allowed so we won’t continue the wagon discussion.

Personally I’ll say, when used properly, I don’t mind selfie sticks being allowed. Being a family of 2 it would have offered us many more options for pictures with a broader perspective of where we were. Thankfully today’s phones do offer many great options though to capture the moment even without the use of a selfie stick.

I’ve almost gotten hit by a couple of these selfie things in the past. I know some people use them to record their experience so they can be relived but as I have to tell my daughter when she wants to tape everything with her phone…please put it away, enjoy the moment. There is obsession with so many younger people to record their every moment. Something that most of us older folks don’t get.

I noticed it last week while there but the woman using it was very respectful of other people: kept it mainly closed up and only used it when trying to get a family selfie in front of large landmarks, otherwise she just took pictures with her phone herself of her kids.

Which is a VAST improvement over the last time when I saw one cause it hit me on the head as the guy was turning and he actually got mad at me for 'ruining his shot'...jerk.
Yeah, I could see that.

The first time I saw a selfie stick, I had no idea what it was. Just saw this person with camera on a stick, slowing turning, talking to herself. Thought it was odd , not a thing.

While I would prefer security not be distracted by looking for selfie sticks, a simple sign would discourage their use.

Walking around the park is difficult enough with people nose in their phone and people standing blocking entranceways and walkways. Selfie sticks would worsen the congestion. I think WDW would be liable for any accidents that occur.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter